• ...
67
 65
 2,526

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“It should get 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat today,” announced the weatherpony to the crowd.

Twilight Sparkle sighed. The temperature had dropped for 12 days straight, plunging Ponyville into a premature winter.

“I can’t understand what’s happening, Spike,” she said to her young dragon assistant. “Not a single one of my books explains these abnormal meteorological tendencies.”

“Aw, don’t worry, Twilight,” replied Spike in a comforting tone. I’m sure it’s just some pegasi over on the other side of Equestria who did their Winter Wrap-Up a little early this year, and it’s coming our way.”

“I don’t think so, Spike. Never in Equestrian history has the temperature dropped so rapidly.”

“Well, you did write that letter to the Princess. I’m sure she’ll know what’s going on!”

“Spike, that was over a week ago! I’m really starting to get worried now. That’s it. I’ll go see the Princess myself!”

And with that, Twilight summoned her magical unicorn powers. She had been practicing teleportation for months, but she had never tried teleporting herself to Canterlot before. “Here goes,” she said hopefully as she closed her eyes and conjured the magic within.


Charlie Smith was just an average teenager. He played video games, attended high school, and played football. He was a rather large male with menacing green eyes and thick black hair that he gelled upward. He spent his free time picking on the smaller kids at his school, and when he came home each day after football practice, he occupied himself with a daily round of a game he liked to call “Beat up Sally until she cries.” Sally was his 4 year-old sister who spent her days watching a television program called “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.”

Charlie had just returned from practice when his sister ran into his room. “Chuck, guess what!? In the newest episode-“

Her sentence was interrupted by a swift punch to the jaw, which rendered her incapable of speaking. She spun ninety degrees before falling unconsciously to the floor, smacking her fragile head against the hardwood flooring.

“I told you never to mention those horses again!” shouted Charlie at the body, which was beginning to excrete blood. “I don’t ever want to hear you mention that show again! I hate horses, I hate ponies, and if I could, I’d kill ‘em all!”

Charlie’s words were genuine; his dislike of the children’s television show had evolved into a swirling vortex of hate. The neurological reaction to a single thought of the show provoked a thrashing rage, oftentimes one that he would take out on his sister. He lifted his foot off of the bed and kicked Sally in the face, unaware of the fact that he still had not yet removed his football cleats. The metal spikes from his footwear wedged themselves into newfound crevices on the child’s visage, commencing the creation of a multitude of blood wells.

Charlie stared in disbelief at the sight before him. While he routinely assaulted his sister, he had never before seen this amount of blood. The nimble-minded fool entered a state of panic; his blood, replete with adrenaline, proceeded to lift the young girl’s body and toss it out of the second-story window.

“What was that noise?” called his mother up the stairs.

“Oh, it was nothing, mother,” replied Charlie. He was skilled in the art of deception, able to lie without once questioning the moral depravity of his words and deeds.

He glanced out of his window and into the front yard to find his sister’s body, face down in a pool of blood. Her legs were mangled in a fashion that confirmed her departure from the world of the living.

Charlie saw what he had done and felt no regret. This sick monster only felt fear. I’ve got to run from the cops, he thought. He bolted from his room and descended the stairs, shoving his mother to the floor and sprinting out the front door.

He had run past several houses before bumping into the head cheerleader of his town’s high school, Mary Sue. Ostensibly, Mary Sue had it all: a plethora of friends, more than a fair share of brains, and long blonde hair. She was walking home from school when she saw Charlie sprinting towards her.

“Woah Charlie, what’s the rush for?”

“I just killed my sister,” replied the ugly dimwit.

Mary Sue released a light chuckle, although she was slightly wary. Had anyone else told her this, she would have been heartily amused by the ridiculousness of the statement; however, Charlie was known for his cruelty, and Mary Sue couldn’t be sure whether or not he was joking around.

“Oh, really?” started Mary in a sardonic tone. “Then where did you hide the body?”

“I didn’t!” shouted a clearly panicked Charlie. “I left it right on the front lawn! You’ve got to help me! I need to get away from here!”

Mary was beginning to worry. The sincerity of Charlie’s voice was deeply troubling, but not even he could be dumb enough to openly reveal a felony of this magnitude. …right?

Mary tried to think of a polite answer that would excuse her from the conversation so that she could alert the proper authorities. “Um, well then Charlie, I wish the best for you, and I wish that you can escape this situation without having to face the consequences. This is a very serious crime!” Mary ended her conversation lightheartedly, pretending not to believe Charlie in case he planned to kill her, too.

Before Mary could step away, however, a bright cloud of purple dust encompassed the two humans. Mary shut her eyes and let out a shriek, but the noise became muffled and distorted. Her body was changing. Her vocal cords no longer carried the frequency of human beings.

When she opened her eyes, she immediately saw that something had changed. Her environment had been radically altered, the temperature had radically dropped, and she was suddenly in the midst of a large crowd.

But those were the least of her problems. She looked at herself and gasped in horror. Not only was her environment strange, but…she was strange.

She was now a pony.