• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 14,074 Views, 633 Comments

Mission: Improbable - The card holder



A certain handsome rogue lives in plain sight in Equestria, with no one the wiser.

  • ...
30
 633
 14,074

On the Run

The entire walk towards Sweet Apple Acres had been uneventful. There were a few pegasi that flew overhead, but none of them landed to question the stallion trotting in the direction of the barn. The Spy figured this was for the best; after all, he'd hate to have to be discovered now.

As if fate itself was plotting against him, a single bolt of magic hit him from behind, knocking him to the ground. When he opened his eyes, he saw the cardboard mask he used for his disguise, as well as his fedora, on the ground in front of him.

"Halt!" a masculine voice commands behind him. "Stay right where you are!"

"I think not." The Spy quickly grabbed his hat and rolled off the road. Once up on his feet again, he cloaks, running as fast as he could into the bushes. Blasts of magic barely missed him as he ducked branches and hopped over roots. His cloak had run out, making him appear as a conspicuous red blur, but he didn't bother to take it off. As the chase went on, the Spy found that he had ended up behind the barn at Sweet Apple Acres. He keeps running, hugging the wall in case some way to escape happens to open up. Just as he passes by some barrels filled with cider, a blast of magic hits it, causing the cider to leak onto his watch, shorting the cloak out.

"Merde."

Now in full sight, the Spy kept on running. Stealing a few glances behind him, he spotted a quite large amount of guard ponies chasing him. It would take some effort to shake all of them.

"What in the hay is going on out here!" Or, it would take a conveniently-timed Applejack. Thinking quickly, the Spy spotted a window above the orange mare, going into the barn. He hadn't practiced parkour since he was around the Scout's age, but now was a good a time as any to refresh himself on it. He jumps onto Applejack's back before leaping to the open window. The farm mare yells out in complaint, as one would to having someone use them as a spring board.

Crashing into a pile of hay, the Spy quickly untangles himself and heads to the other side, where a door waited. He tried to re-activate his cloak, only to find that it was still rebooting. Muttering to himself about "flimsy Mann Co. equipment", he sprints outside, back into the foliage. The guards were a bit behind him, now, but they were still quickly gaining.

Entering a clearing, he spots a club house situated in the middle. Seeing an opportunity, he quickly hoists himself inside. Crouching out of sight from the window, he hears the guards enter the clearing. He tenses up when one of them starts to go into the club house, when another guard speaks up.

"Why would he be in there?"

"You never know, man, Celestia said he was an expert at hiding."

"Exactly. An expert wouldn't hide in there! It's too obvious!"

The guard agreed and went away, fanning out with the rest of the guards. Once they all left the clearing, the Spy breathed a sigh of relief. He turns to leave through the small door, but finds it's occupied.

Three fillies, which he recognized as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, were standing there, staring in shock at the human.

Both parties stayed completely still, waiting for the other to do something. Eventually, the Spy glanced at his cloak and saw that it was working again. Looking back to the fillies, he says one thing before cloaking away:

"You saw nothing."

The moment he was completely invisible, he leaped out the window he came in through. Soon after, the Crusaders started to look in and all around the club house for the mysterious intruder. While they talked of getting "weird animal finding" cutie marks, the Spy went deeper into the forest. Despite this little hiccup in his plan, he was still dead set on finding that changeling hive and getting some answers.


*beep beep beep*
"Say, Heavy?"
*beep beep beep*
"Da?"
*beep beep beep*
"Why are ya back here with me, instead of killing robots up near the front?"
*beep beep beep*
"I am getting too old and giant for running around. Beside, dispenser helps keep Sasha full of bullets."
*beep beep beep*
"Here's something I've been wondering: if this is a decoy, why exactly are we defending it like it's the real deal?"
*beep beep beep*
"...I do not know."

"Don't all die at once!"
*beep beep beep*
"Welp, I guess that means we got incoming."
*beep beep beep*
"Da. I am ready for them."

*beep beep-BEDEEP*