• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 14,075 Views, 633 Comments

Mission: Improbable - The card holder



A certain handsome rogue lives in plain sight in Equestria, with no one the wiser.

  • ...
30
 633
 14,075

ChapterName4.exe has stopped working

The round had nearly started. The Spy was ready to take the other team's intel, as he usually did. The Announcer counted down...
4...
3...
2...
1...
The doors opened, and the Spy ran out with the rest of RED team. He had just put on a disguise, and was about to cloak, but when he walked outside, he saw one of the worst possible things.

Snipers, some with Razorbacks, others with Jarate.

Scouts with Mad Milk.

Engineers with the Pomson 6000.

And worst of all, Pyros. Dozens upon dozens of them, equipped with various flamethrowers, all of them capable of setting him ablaze with ease. Just as the Spy didn't think it could get any worse, a small message hovered in his peripheral vision:

The Spy promptly rage-quit soon after.


The Spy awoke to the sounds of frustrated grumbling, machinery working, and various papers being shuffled around. Satisfied that his cloak was still up, he slipped out of the supply closet he had slept in to see what was going on.

In the middle of the small lab, Twilight was hunched over a device, channeling magic into it for some unknown purpose. Smirking, he also noticed that she was nursing a sizable bump on her head.

As he stalked into the lab, heading for the door, he froze when the unicorn began speaking. "What...? Something else in the room...?"

...Merde.

"I guess a quick magical scan wouldn't hurt..."

MerdemerdemerdemerdemerdeShit.

Twilight's horn began to glow brighter, as the Spy scrambled to get out of the lab. He gets a better look at the machine that she was using, and all it seems to do is record things. Still, if she did detect him, it would need to be taken care of.

He disguised his voice to make it sound like Spike's, then threw his voice to the door. "Twilight, there's somepony at the door!"

The unicorn suddenly stopped all of her magic, grumbling to herself. "It should be done by the time I get back..." she whispers to herself. As she heads up the stairs, the Spy releases a sigh of relief. Uncloaking, he approaches the machine, which still seemed to be working on something. He could fix that.

Placing a sapper on the offending contraption, he quickly cloaks away, staying pressed to the wall, ready to watch the fireworks (both from the explosion, and from Twilight).

Sure enough, the machine erupts into a shower of sparks and fire, sending parts of it across the room. When Twilight comes rocketing down the stairs to see what the noise was, her eyes grow wide. She began frantically searching through the rubble, looking for a cause for this while babbling incoherently. Soon after, Spike follows her down.

"Wait, Twilight, what was that noi- Oh man, what happened here?"

As the two debated over the cause of this 'accident', the Spy made a stealthy exit back upstairs. Looking around, he sees no sign of the ponies from last night; they must've left already. Looking out the window, the Spy estimated the time to be about eleven AM. More than likely, news of what transpired at the library would have spread by now. The Spy mentally berated himself; even if last night's shenanigans were hilarious, they could potentially blow his cover. When he actually thought about it, he couldn't really think of why he didn't want to be discovered. It probably had something to do with his nature; he always was the one person who could, and would, lie their way out of any situation.

Cloaked, he heads out into the street, taking care not to bump into any ponies. His footsteps were much quieter than a pony's hoofsteps, so he didn't have to worry much about making too much noise.

Up ahead, he spotted Lyra walking along, carrying her saddlebags. She's home early, it seems. Finding nothing else of importance to do, the Spy began following her home. Partially because he wants to see her reaction to his little short message, and partially because he has a sneaking suspicion that this isn't Lyra at all. Either way, it was something to do.

Making sure to not have conflicting stories, the Spy cuts ahead of the green unicorn, heading to her house. There, he sneaks inside silently, looking for Lyra's housemate. To his relief, she had already left for work, it seems. Satisfied with the circumstances, he waits. After a couple of minutes, he hears someone unlocking the door before they call out.

"Bon-Bon, I'm home!" Lyra strode into the living room, looking for her friend. When she didn't find her, she just shrugged and went upstairs, the Spy discreetly following behind. When she got to her room, she started unpacking. With that out of the way, she takes one last look around, as if to check for any prying eyes, and went to her stash. Pulling out her journal, she flips to an empty page, but flips back when she sees some writing that isn't hers. As she reads it, her face contorts in confusion. When she turns the page, seeing the traced hand, her confusion only grows. Her magical grip begins trembling ever so slightly.

"Are they really...?" she mumbles to herself. If it weren't for the fact that he was trying to stay hidden, the Spy would simply walk up to her, uncloaked, and say yes. Instead, he chose a more subtle, funnier option. Positioned right behind her, he whispers into her ear:

"You tell us."

At the sound of his voice, Lyra lets out a short scream and whirls around. The Spy, anticipating this reaction, backed away quickly.

"Who's there?" Lyra called out. "Is somebod- somepony there?"

From here, the Spy went over his options. He could just leave now, and let Lyra worry about this, or he could keep up the act. Deciding, he prepares his 'otherworldly voice' (which let him fool Demoman into thinking the Spy was the "Ghost of Christmas Drinking", one time).

"Yes, we are here," the Spy answers, throwing his voice slightly to give the effect of the sound coming from multiple directions. "We always have been."

Lyra's eyes narrowed to pin pricks. "You mean- I mean, you're saying that humans are real?!?!" she practically shouted.

"Yes, we are." The Spy circled around the room, positioning himself near the window, just in case he needed to make a quick escape. "You have many questions for us, yes?"

For a second, Lyra doesn't respond, and he's actually worried that he might have broken her brain. After a bit of thinking, she belts out question after question. "Where were you this whole time? What can you use your hands for? How do humans get along without magic? Did ponies and humans coexist at one time?" She grabbed her journal, ready to write down any answers.

The Spy thought a bit, before answering. "I cannot answer many questions at this time." Seeing the dejected look on the unicorn's face, he adds, "Fear not, Lyra. We will always be watching, and we can answer your many questions at a later date. But for now, we must go." The Spy swept a bunch of loose papers towards the window, to simulate a wind, and quickly opened it and jumped out. The fall hurt his ankles a bit, but he'd had far worse. Being beaten to death by a fish was just one of the more humiliating kinds of pain he had went through.

As Lyra looked out the window for the mysterious force she just met, the Spy leaned against the wall, curious as to what his teammates were up to...


Meanwhile...


"Mmmmmph mmmmmmph!"

"Jesus, lookit dat Pyro go. You'd think he'd wanna set the whole world on fire."

"Well, as crazy as he is, he's still plenty useful at helpin' me defend mah machines."

"Still, makes ya feel sorry for the poor bastards. Besides, he could burn dat money!"

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure it will all be fi- Aww hell, SENTRY BUSTER!"

"CHARGE NOW DOCTOR!"

"Now go!"

"I AM BULLETPROO