• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 8,156 Views, 374 Comments

Tales of Ponyville - RainbowDoubleDash



Six mares, six tales, all connecting together

  • ...
12
 374
 8,156

Epilogue

“So my afternoon consisted of convincing this one that I don’t hate her,” Trixie said, jabbing a hoof at Raindrops. The six mares were arranged in a rough circle around the bag of Bon Bon’s candy as they talked, though they had moved from Trixie’s office into her living room, where she’d started up a fire.

“I had to spend it convincing you the same thing,” Raindrops pointed out with a little indignation in her voice. “And you’re the one who actually keeps score of her friends.”

“Speaking of,” Ditzy said, “I ran into Pokey on my route today.”

Trixie winced at that, as though she’d just burned herself. “Um. Is he…still mad…?”

Ditzy shook her head. “He knows you didn’t mean to say what you did. And I pointed out to him that you’ve got plenty of quirks of you own that he can call you out on if he has to.”

The six mares laughed, though Trixie stopped after a moment as she considered that. “Wait, what quirks?” she asked. That prompted another round of laughter. Trixie herself joined in after a moment, deciding that, whatever her quirks were, they didn’t matter right now.

“Speaking of you,” Lyra said, looking to Raindrops, “I didn’t know you could sing.”

Raindrops’ face reddened notably at that. Lyra and Cheerilee, on the other hoof, both kept grinning at her. “We didn’t catch it all, though,” Cheerilee said. “Just something about rain helping you to untangle…?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Raindrops said quickly.

“No, I definitely heard it,” Lyra said, then sang what she’d heard. “Rain helps me to untangle all the things that…?

Raindrops stared at Lyra. Lyra stared back. At length, the pegasus sighed, looking down in embarrassment. “Though I’ve bungled all my bangles, left my life twisted and mangled, the rain helps me to untangle all the things that trouble me…” she sang softly. She jumped slightly when she earned some light hoof-stomps from the other five mares.

“I like the happier version better,” Lyra noted. Raindrops’ blush deepened, though she was also smiling a little at the praise. “Me and Cheerilee heard it at Bon Bon’s, when you splashed down.”

“Hmm,” Ditzy observed. “Which reminds me, I have to ask – why is it raining?”

Carrot Top cleared her throat. “Rainbow Dash’s fault,” she said. “She put getting rid of the storm to a vote ‘cause she knew she’d win it. She did it for Fluttershy. She figured the easiest way to get her to the spa was if there was nopony outside. Fluttershy can take rain. What she can’t take is ponies.”

“That’s…actually kind of clever of Rainbow Dash,” Trixie noted.

“She is a weather manager,” Raindrops said. “She’s a lot smarter than she looks. Or acts.”

“So how’d you end up at Trixie’s, then?” Cheerilee asked. “I mean…if you don’t mind me asking…”

“Puddle,” Raindrops answered simply, cocking her head towards Trixie’s backyard, then nodding towards Trixie “She caught me in it.”

“Must’ve been a little embarrassing,” Lyra observed.

“Not as embarrassing as…” Cheerilee began, then put a hoof to her mouth for a moment, before continuing with “…a thing that was embarrassing.” Carrot Top and Ditzy Doo stared expectantly at her. Cheerilee shook her head, however. “No. I’m not telling. It’s embarrassing – ”

“Oh, come on, four of us already know, it’s not fair to these two,” Trixie said, eliciting a look of surprise from Lyra and Cheerilee. “Cheerilee came in and caught me and Raindrops in the middle of a memory-transfer spell. The spell required us to be kissing. With, um…tongue. But it was just a spell.”

Just,” Raindrops confirmed, nodding.

“Cheerilee thought I didn’t know anything about sex for some reason,” Trixie continued, “and then thought that Raindrops was trying to take advantage of me. So Cheerilee gave me ‘the talk’.” Trixie shuddered a little. “A…very detailed…possibly illegal…talk.”

Cheerilee stared at Trixie. “I meant embarrassing for me, Trixie,” she said.

“Embarrassing for all of us,” Lyra said with a sigh. “Just…one big mess.”

“It’s done,” Trixie said. “It’s in the past. Bygones and all that.”

The four mares nodded, and there was a moment of silence as they simply ate candy. It was broken, however, when Ditzy perked up. “Oh, I almost forgot!” she exclaimed, looking to her mail bags and opening them, pulling out the five midnight blue envelopes, along with her own already-opened letter. “These are for each of us.” She passed them around. The room was soon filled with the sound of tearing paper, followed swiftly by the soft silver glow of the enchanted tickets.

Yes, I’ve been waiting for this,” Trixie said, smiling. “Gala number six, here I come!”

“The Gala!” Lyra exclaimed at nearly the same time, reading her letter/ticket a second time, then a third. “This is…it’s the biggest event in Equestria! And I get to bring a guest!” She put her hooves to her mouth. “Oh…Bon Bon’s gonna need a dress…I could surprise her with a dress!”

“How do you surprise somepony with a dress?” Cheerilee asked. “Doesn’t she need to be measured for it?”

Lyra rolled her eyes. “I know her dimensions,” she drawled.

“Isn’t the Gala supposed to be boring?” Raindrops asked.

Trixie smiled. “It’s only boring if you’re not there with anypony,” she said. “Trust me, I know all about that. But us six, together? Should be a blast.”

Ditzy smiled at that, as she stood and stretched. “Well,” she said, “I’m sort of still on the clock back at work. I better go and punch out, then get home to Dinky.”

“Mmn, I have to go too,” Lyra said. “Calm Bon Bon down.”

One by one, the six mares stood, though Trixie would, of course, be remaining behind – she would still see them to the door, though. “This was fun,” Cheerilee said. “Well…eventually it was fun, anyway. After the horrible, horrible embarrassment. We should try and get together more often.”

“Yeah,” Raindrops agreed. “There shouldn’t have to be a crisis.”

“How about…same time, next week?” Carrot Top asked, looking to Trixie. “Here? If that’s okay? You have the largest house.”

Trixie smiled. It wasn’t her normal wide-put on smile, but a much more simple, yet honest, grin. “Of course,” she said. “Maybe turn it into…I dunno, some kind of game night. I’ve got cards.”

“I’ve got board games,” Cheerilee ventured, as everypony else stepped out into the rain. She followed suit a moment later.

“It’s a deal, then,” Lyra said. “See you later!”

“Later!” Trixie returned, closing her door. She found herself still smiling, and didn’t try to stop herself as she returned to her living room. A glance outside confirmed that it was still raining, and a glance inside confirmed that her fireplace was still lit. All that was missing was a book, and a unicorn in a couch to read it. Trixie rectified the situation immediately, settling down into her couch and telekinetically grabbing her well-worn copy of Don Rocinante from her bookshelf.

“Today…was a good day,” she decided.

Comments ( 55 )

So...

...

...did I stick the landing?

Ayuh. Looks like. Y'done good, kid.

Yes you did, sir, you did indeed stick the landing.
It'll be interesting to see who some of them bring as their extras to the Gala. Lyra's obvious, and Trixie'll probably bring Pokey... Or Lulamoon bringing Monsieur Bourbon. And Ditzy's already got hers set, apparently. The other three are a little less predictable, though. But, that's for later.

Thank you for taking the time to examine the character's foibles and everyday lives.

Action and drama is cool and all, but this gives it meaning.

A simple ending to an excellent fic, I did feel a few of the seg ways into their respective day's were a tad weak but not really enough to damage the story and i'll acknowledge that could also be because I just finished re reading the fic.
so yeah you stuck the landing :pinkiehappy:
I'll be interested to see who brings who to the Gala if anyone, seeing as they don't have to it would be kinda needless for all of them to bring someone, heh sorry.
Will be looking forward to it regardless :D
Also hooray for foreshadowing game night! D&D stuff ahoy!.
Feel like there was something else I had to say but now I can't think of it... dang

1566421 They say any landing you walk away from is a good landing. I'd say you didn't just walk away from it, you took off runing and left it in the dust... like that metaphor just did on me :derpyderp2:

“I’ve got board games,” Cheerilee ventured

do I smell a game of Diplomacy in the future? :trollestia:

It will be pretty interesting to figure out who they all invite. We know who Trixie would WANT to invite, but can't because he's in another country :raritywink:. Maybe Cheerilee can ask Heavy Roller :scootangel:

You stuck the ending. Brilliantly.

So, what's next for you? Completing 'In the Heat of the Moment' and then moving on to another episode? Since I get the feeling that you won't do the Gala episode until you give everyone their guests.

1566421

Yes, you most definitly stuck the landing.:pinkiehappy:

Nicely done.

Ahw, now I wanna read about that game night!

Also, congratulations on writing one of the most cozy fics I've read^^

Well, this was a sweet ending to the story. Nothing like a rain storm to bring everypony together. :pinkiehappy:

Of course, now I have to review it...

I hate you. :twilightangry2:

Trixie smiled. It wasn’t her normal wide-put on smile, but a much more simple, yet honest, grin. “Of course,” she said. “Maybe turn it into…I dunno, some kind of game night. I’ve got cards.”

“I’ve got board games,” Cheerilee ventured, as everypony else stepped out into the rain. She followed suit a moment later.

...and thus the stage was set for the L6 to play a game of Diplomacy, after which Corona took over all of Equestria unopposed because the magic of friendship had been irrevocably murdered for all time. :twilightoops:

Anyway, a simple chapter to bring the whole fic to a close. I especially enjoyed Raindrops denying that she sings, though it was cute to see her give a short reprise anyway. Also, the summation of Cheerilee giving Trixie the talk in very explicit and possibly illegal detail. :pinkiehappy:

1566611

Also hooray for foreshadowing game night! D&D stuff ahoy!.

You're thinking of the wrong Elements of Harmony. The L6 will be playing something decidedly more scary and disastrous. :scootangel:

1566621
My sentiments exactly. :raritywink:

1567721

I hate you. :twilightangry2:

So what else is new? :twilightsmile:

....I love how you write for Ditzy. It is just so sweet and awesome and I wish I could pull her off as well as you do.


And you got the ending perfect.

Fantastic ending, looking forward to the next story. Well, the next on after Heat of the Moment. :rainbowwild:

Again seems like you could've gone a little longer. Maybe showed them talking a bit more in some more detail. Maybe more treatment of the excitement of finding the letters. Regardless of that though was a wonderful story. Thanks very much for sharing.

1566421

Okay look at ALL the comments above mine.

Ya. :pinkiehappy:

Just a prediction about Ditzy with Sparkler as a guest at the Gala: the raw concentrated uncomfortable awkwardness radiated by the mere idea will be enough to kill the mood in any room the two are both in stone dead.

1566421 *Holds up a ten*

Nice ending. Very warm and fuzzy. Glad to see a nice, happy ending here.

I kind of wonder what the context was for that bit of Pinkie's Brew in this case, given that Apple Bloom wasn't around, lol.

And then he keeps threatening to send over his weather patrol captain to ‘teach Rainbow Dash how it’s done,’ though the way I hear things she starts things and then takes forever to finish them! Rainbow Dash could take Stormy Squ-

Nice bit of hidden self-deprecation. :3

NTL

That was a another wonderful Lunaverse story, I just love well done slice of life. My favorite parts were Raindrops' and Cheerilee's chapters, but they were all good. I think I just said it before, but I really dig your take on Ditzy.

Have to admit during the last two chapters I waited for Trixie-in-heat to make an appearence before I remembered that that was the other story :twilightblush:

Keep up the awesome work! :pinkiehappy:
NTL

Delightful.

1577327
It's a result of me just copy/pasting Pinkie's "Gala for me" song.

Songs are incredibly difficult to write without seeming like terrible poetry. Top job.

1566421 Are you a God?

1585895
He was actually mentioned back in LNLD, and is an actual pony from the show, too.

1585936

Really? How did I not notice that?

:fluttershyouch:

Great ending! A lovely, heartwarming ending to a sweet and funny story. I think that this one chapter, perhaps more than anything else in the Lunaverse, really makes the L6 work as a circle of friends. It's just generally really lovely.

1566421 Yes, yes you did. This is my single favorite Lunaverse story now. :pinkiehappy:

A fine ending for a very enjoyable story. Lunaverse is a really interesting place, and I'm always happy to follow the Luna Six, including this kind of slice-of-life tales.

I have a "Hall of Fame" folder for bookmarked awesomeness from the fandom. I'm picky about what goes in it. You're in it thrice now (this story, Boast Busted and Longest Night, Longest Day).
An absolute blast to read - as with all your work that I have read, you write incredibly funny one moment, intensely sad the next, then intoxicatingly cute, when you're not unfurling fascinatingly well-researched world-building, full of ingenious ties to canon. Not to mention how creative and thorough a concept the Lunaverse is - and how well the stories from the different authors are connected! :raritystarry: And I love how "equine" you keep the world and your vocabulary! :D I didn't know mares had heats!
I love the first-person perspective bookends immensely. You manage to flesh out the six in really satisfying ways, but an extra emphatic round of hoof-stomps has to be given out to the way you made me care so intensely about Raindrops. When Trixie made her tear up, I was holding my breath and all but doing the same myself :raritydespair:
I chuckled out loud (that's normally as far as I go towards laughing when reading) at the shopping list and the taste of the colour green! :rainbowlaugh: That is, it was downright golden. A description I will also use for Cheerliee's doing "the talk", the use of "the jealous" sun/sky from "Fields of Gold", the little lapses into daydreams (my favourite is the porn movie-esque... thing featuring Trixie and Raindrops), the descriptions of little things like Bonbon's mane and the Gala invitations and earth pony magic and the layout of Ponyville and OF COURSE the rainstorm, from Raindrops' chapter. I love it all. I love you. Keep being awesome.

The Tales of Ba Sing Se angle you took with this story is pretty awesome, and it's nice that it didn't involve anypony singing to their dead children which ended up also being an in memoriam to the singer of the actual song. The way all the stories came together was ingenious, though I would have liked it if you had continued to end each chapter with the next chapter's star entering with a "What are you doing?" I was kind of expecting it after the first two chapters, and was disappointed by the lack of payoff. Oh, well. I actually really liked your Carrot Top chapter with its treatment of both Fluttershy and Rarity. Seems like some people were a bit put off by the extremes of both of their behaviors, but the way I see it is that's the whole point, and the resolution was that two extremely contrasting personalities actually found common ground, albeit this was by fortunate coincidence. It leaves the way open for both Fluttershy and Rarity to "rub off" on each other, as it were, much like in the MU, perhaps steering them closer toward their canon personalities since they're really not much more extreme than their MU portrayals. I've always felt like the two's admiration of each other in the MU may have had some effect on tempering their extreme respective introvert and extrovert tendencies. Anyway, great stuff, and I'll be glad when I make it through the rest of these "episodes" to the Grand Galloping Gala.

2048142
Parchment -- NOUN
1. the skin of sheep, goats, etc., prepared for use as a material on which to write.
2. a manuscript or document on such material.
3. a stiff, off-white paper resembling this material.
4. a diploma.

... ... ...

Though I do suppose that might answer the question as to the color. :twilightsheepish:

Seriously though, ponies have glue, marshmallows, and gelatin; all things in our world originally made from animal products. If you were trying to make a joke, the effort is commendable, but kind of long since played out as far as this fandom is concerned.

This was a very fun read all the way through.

Great story, love it!
One small thing: you mention Amathyst Star in the list of ex-friends of Trixie but later say that Amathyst Star is Sparkler. Maybe you should look into that (Unless you did it on purpose.

2166383
It's on purpose. The tail end of "Family Matters" establishes that they do, in fact, know each other.

Just getting into the Lunaverse here after reading Longest Night, Longest Day last month, and a mixture of wanting to write a Raindrop story and wanting to checkout more the of Lunaverse drew me to this story.

I really enjoyed this series of slice of life stories. They made me laugh, care about the characters, and in general entertained me. I think I'm going to restart at the beginning of this series of stories, and make them a regular part of my reading list. Good work all around.

After finishing the rest, I can safely say that this is my favorite Lunaverse story so far, just reading from the start in accordance with the official Season 1 timeline. It is so much fun to see inside everypony's heads.

More importantly, if "RRNCL" is a common acronym in future chapters I'm going to start calling it "The Wrinkle".

1940448
I actually compared it to the Tales from the Empire and Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina anthology books, hilariously. Tales of Ba Sing Se also works.

I wonder if using that as an anthology titling is an old practice? Probably is.

I particularly liked Raindrops here - she's steadily become my favorite character. Trixie's childish squeamishness towards sex continues to amuse me.

I'm gonna re-read this! I never do that with fiction! Only you, RainbowDoubleDash. :heart:

TDR

Very nice crossing of the chapters there too.

Three Questions.

How does this tie into Blackbelts Canon Bon-Bon and Lyra's dating thing [hinted at]? [since it's different I don't know if that's an ignorable continuity error, or simply doesn't matter?]

What meeting weeks ago with the Princess? I didn't see that fic.

and

You do know that ponies can have multiple Cutie Marks? Or is that [like in FIMVerse] just a common misconception? [Ponies include Alula , and Tootsie Flute].

Side Q: Is Alulua the sister of Cloudkicker in the AU like she is in FimVerse?

3762352

How does this tie into Blackbelts Canon Bon-Bon and Lyra's dating thing [hinted at]? [since it's different I don't know if that's an ignorable continuity error, or simply doesn't matter?]

Which is this?

What meeting weeks ago with the Princess? I didn't see that fic.

An Early Reuinion, I think, but to be honest it's been awhile since I wrote this fic and I can't quite remember.

You do know that ponies can have multiple Cutie Marks? Or is that [like in FIMVerse] just a common misconception? [Ponies include Alula , and Tootsie Flute].

Well, Alula and Tootsie Flute are background ponies. They're only shown with multiple cutie marks because DHX uses them as generic filler to make backgrounds interesting. But in Friendship is Magic, it seems pretty clear that ponies only ever have one cutie mark normally (barring a case of the cutie pox)

Side Q: Is Alulua the sister of Cloudkicker in the AU like she is in FimVerse?

No, I don't think so.

3763415

"We should probably visit Cheerilee tomorrow and make sure she's alright..." Bonbon said.

"Yeah...By the way, did you notice how funny Diamond Tiara was acting? She's got it BAD!" Lyra said, laughing to herself.

Bonbon chuckled as well "Yeah, she reminds of a certain green unicorn I knew as a kid."

"So how long you think it'll be until she works up the nerve to confess her feelings?"

"No clue. Should be adorable when it happens though."

Lyra nodded,continuing to strum on her lyre. "Gotta give her credit, she hides it pretty well."

Link

____________________________

I'll have to look up that fic.
___________________________

I like to think of it as someponies just have multiple special talents (after all a pony can be great at more than one thing), and it's just rare that it happens. After all if a pony is the same character design, character designation [name], and same part of the continuity. Then they are the same pony, that and it makes Alula slightly more interesting. If she has problems controlling which of the three races she appears as at any given moment (since she started out a Pegasi, then turned earth pony, then alicorn. At any given moment).

Also as far as Alula goes. She was Cloudkicker's sister in ManeCanon. So I thought it'd be interesting if she was the same here, or somehow related to Luna / Cadance. Nonetheless, interesting food for thought.

4750710 I'm dyslexic, this stuff doesn't come easy to me!

And yet another satisfying finish.

“Today…was a good day,” she decided.

OH, YOU.

cdn.meme.am/instances/49499727.jpg

*Reads some of the comments* Oh, it can't have been that long since I have read 'in the heat of the moment' *thinks* Sweet baby Celestia, it has. Wow, time flies...

Um, anyway, ignore the old codger reminciing of days gone past.

I really loved this story. Its probably on my top three list for best episodes this season. Why? Well, first off, because the interwoven portion o thge story, as well as the anthology bnature o it all, worked perfectly. Each story led into the next without it feeling confusing or repitive. Giving us a chance to look into the lives of each mares. I even notd that there was some foreshadowing as to what was going o happen at the season finale. Although, right about now, I am wondering if I shouldn't have read that Cadence story a few months back because it has been referneced twice in this story.

This story was also important or character building, especially Cheerilee. I think I'll go over each one and what I liked about it.

For Raindrops, I loved the look into her anger issues and how she struggles with them. A feeling I have had to deal with personally. I think what was satisfying for me, was that we saw more to her than the anger, her love of rain, her love of her brother, and how much aof a softy that she really is. I loved the moment between her and her little brother. Again, showing more to her than just anger.

Trixie, I loved seeing how different her loniness came about from tTwilight. for Twilight, it was more of "I have my brother and foalsitter, don't need anypony else" but for Trixie it was "Ego pushes everyone aside". That is what the Lunaverse is to her, true friends who don't mind her flaws and look to her strengths.

Cheerilee was more about iving her some muchneeed screen time, as she has had only 1/2 episodes to herself and very little time to pop up beyond "Hi, I exsist!" Here, though, we give her what she has been lakcing, and some intel to her past that pay off in 2 more episodes.

Carrot Top was all about how her element meant somthing else. O how she likes giving of herself as much as possible. There to lend a hoof whenever needed . This worked well in hand with Ditzy story, wich was all about listening and being there or others.

In all, a great episode that has some spectacular moments.




As usual, the first chapter from the live rea for all to enjoy

6310053
Nice! Thanks! Not gonna lie, ever since writing this version of the song I've had trouble singing the original "The Gypsy Bard" because I just end up accidentally launching into this one. Hearing your version isn't gonna help that...:derpytongue2:

Also, this is my first time seeing that fanart that you included! Yay, more fanart for the Lunaverse!

6310697
It was really fun! I'm sorry that I'm not very helpful in that case. It doesn't help me, either, now that I've pretty much memorized the lyrics. xD The song was really hard since I'm an alto, but I try really hard when it comes to my favorite Lunaverse and background character.

I created that fanart just for the sake of this story. I actually forgot the cutie mark in the original, so I had to find a picture of it before I accidentally published the video. :P

Login or register to comment