• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 21,283 Views, 1,681 Comments

Inner Demons - Azure Sandora



On her 21st birthday, Twilight reads a prophesy that starts a downward spiral into her own darkness.

  • ...
129
 1,681
 21,283

Chapter 3

Chapter 3: A Silent Cry for Help

Twilight found herself trotting through a dark forest. It looked like the Everfree Forest, but when she ended up here she didn't know, nor how. Maybe she could figure out what was going on if she continued forward.

Twilight Sparkle...

Whoa! What was that? Twilight stopped for a second and looked around, but she didn't see anything. She shrugged and continued forward.


Twilight Sparkle...

There it was again. That voice, deep, and dark. It sounded like a demon. She stopped again and began looking all around her, and eventually began looking at the trees surrounding her.

"Hello?" Twilight called out, "Who's there?"


I'm here... I'm always here...

"Who are you?" Twilight looked to her left, "Where are you?"


Behind you...

Twilight got scared and instantly looked behind her, but saw no one.

Above you...

All around you...

Even within you...


"Within me?" Twilight asked, her heart racing now.

I have always been close to you...

Twilight Sparkle...


"I don't understand. I-"

You were too young and pure to feel my presence...

And that mare Celestia kept us apart...

But no more...

Now Twilight was getting worried. She found her legs shaking so much that she could barely stand.

It's time for us to be reunited...

"Reunited? What are you talking about?"

Our powers have awakened...

Now we must be one again...

Accept me into your heart...

There was a rumbling, followed by loud footsteps coming from behind her. Twilight turned around and saw something huge, and black approaching her.

It was at least two stories tall, and had the initial shape of a dragon, only it was walking on all fours, and it had four demonic red eyes, two on each side of it's face. It's teeth were sharp, and it did not look friendly.

Twilight stared up at the monster in horror, and eventually found enough energy to run away from the beast. It gave a loud roar and began running after her.

It was much larger than Twilight, as such it could cover more ground as it ran. She eventually turned a corner and began running through the denser part of the forest. While the monster tried to give chase, it was greatly slowed down by the trees in front of it.

It eventually occurred to Twilight that she had to be dreaming. She was an expert lucid dreamer and astral traveler, so she could wake herself up from dreams easily, which she just did. Normally, once she woke up and began lucid dreaming, she was able to wake up easily.

This wasn't one of those times.

"What's going on?!" she screamed to herself, "I know I'm dreaming!"

She eventually hit the edge of a cliff. She looked down and saw a dar gray ocean under her. Long way down, but if she jumped off, then she might be able to...

The black dragon chasing her came out of the trees. It slowly approached her, growling softly to get her attention.

Twilight looked up at the beast with a fearful expression. She wasn't about to let this creature take her, and if this was a dream, then this plan should wake her up. It was crazy, but what choice did she have? She couldn't die in a dream.

At least, as far as she knew.

She turned around and jumped off the cliff. As she fell, her heart began to race. She didn't know if it was working. She wouldn't know either, not until she reached the bottom of her fall. The water was getting closer...

Closer...

Closer...

Closer...


She felt herself bounce on her bed, as if falling on top of it. She looked around, happy to see that she was in her room. Her plan worked, it saved her from that monster. But what was that beast? Where did it come from? It said that it was always close to her. Did that mean it was still there? That she didn't escape it?

There was a loud knock on her bedroom door, one that made her scream.

"Twilight?" Spike asked from the other side, "Are you finally up?"

"Y, yeah Spike," Twilight said, "I'm up. Come in."

The door opened, and Spike slowly walked in with a concerned expression on his face.

"I tried calling you, but you didn't answer," Spike explained, "Are you okay? You looked upset."

"I'm fine Spike," Twilight said, "I just had a nightmare, that's all."

"Oh, okay," Spike said, "Um, we're going to Fluttershy's place, right?"

"Yeah. Did you want to come?"

"Sure beats sitting here by myself all day," Spike said, "I'll wait for you downstairs," he began walking out of the room.

"Spike, wait!" Twilight called out, sounding more afraid than she wanted to.

"What's up Twilight?" Spike asked, now even more worried apparently.

"Next time... just... come in..." Twilight said, "If I don't wake up... please..."

"Sure thing... Twilight..." Spike said slowly. He then walked out of her room, leaving Twilight to herself.

She knew she probably seemed paranoid to Spike, but she was worried that she would have that dream again, and she didn't want to find out what would happen if that monster got a hold of her. Just in case she didn't wake up on her own, she needed a life line.

She just hoped that Spike would take her silent cry for help seriously.


God, she was becoming just like Rarity. It took her a good few extra minutes to get out of the door, now that she had a look to maintain, but afterwards she and Spike made their way to Fluttershy's place. The walk there seemed to take longer than usual. To Twilight, it felt like everypony was staring at her, reading her. Was her fear that evident?

"Hey Twilight!" a loud voice said suddenly, making Twilight scream again. She turned around and breathed out a sigh of relief when she saw Pinkie Pie standing there.

"Oh, Pinkie Pie," Twilight said, "It's you."

Pinkie Pie cocked her head to the side in confusion, "Are you okay, Twilight? You seem a little jumpy, and I know jumpy."

"Oh, it's..." Twilight looked away, wondering if she should tell anypony about what she felt, "I just had a bad dream, that's all."

"You sure that's all?" Pinkie Pie asked cheerfully, although she managed to still look concerned.

"Well... yeah..." she tried to convince herself of that, at least.

Pinkie Pie frowned, looking at Twilight closely. Although she was a little spacy at times, Pinkie Pie was actually pretty sharp, so she probably could tell that Twilight was lying. She eventually shrugged and stepped back.

"Well, if you say so," Pinkie Pie said with a shrug.

"I need to get going," Twilight said quickly running past Pinkie Pie, probably confusing the party pony, but she didn't care. For some reason, she just felt a need to get away.

"Twilight! Slow down!" Spike cried out, as he was about to fall off. Twilight stopped and just looked down, "What's wrong with you?" Spike asked, "Ever since this morning you've been acting weird."

"I just..." Twilight began, suddenly unable to find the words. What was wrong with her? Why was she so scared all of a sudden?

"I just need to see Fluttershy, that's all," and with that she trotted off to Fluttershy's house, still at a much faster pace than her usual walking speed.


Applejack was already there when she got there. Fluttershy was confused, of course, but she rarely said no to anypony, especially if said pony was her friend. After Applejack and Twilight explained what happened yesterday, Fluttershy got to work on checking out Twilight.

You might be wondering what Fluttershy could have been looking for, but many ponies didn't know that there were a lot of signs on the body to indicate whether something was wrong with a unicorn's magic. Dilated eyes, shakey knees, enflamed throat, sensitive or even tender horn, Fluttershy checked them all.

But found none of those signs.

"Well?" Twilight asked when Fluttershy looked like she was done.

"Sorry Twilight," Fluttershy said meekly, "I didn't see anything unusual."

"B, but that can't be!" Twilight said, suddenly looking really worried, "Couldn't you check again? Maybe you missed something!"

"I checked everything twice, Twilight," Fluttershy said, "If you're still worried, I'd suggest seeing a professional, but I don't think there's anything wrong."

Twilight began pacing around, trying to stay calm. Both Applejack and Fluttershy looked at each other confused.

"Um, Ah ain't no expert, but normally a pony is happy ta hear that they're fine," Applejack said.

"You don't understand," Twilight said softly, but then turned to them, "No one understands!"

"That's because you won't talk to anyone." Spike said, "Twilight, ever since yesterday you've been acting weird. It's like you're afraid of something."

"That stuff yesterday still got ya all tense?" Applejack asked walking over to Twilight, "It's okay. Ah told ya, them fireworks just had ya spooked. There ain't nothin wrong with ya."

I wish I were as sure as you, Twilight thought. The over flow of magic, the book, and now the dreams. She didn't understand anything. It was so frustrating that it took all Twilight had not to burst into tears.


Twilight returned to her library, and decided to occupy herself by immersing herself in her new books, which were actually really interesting. She learned that there actually were spells that simply caused ponies excruciating pain. The thought of that kind of magic scared her, but she knew that it was necessary for her to learn all kinds of magic. That is, if she were meant to be a master of magic.

As she was reading, she found herself with a need to test some of these spells. Most of them weren't to complicated, so she felt like if she wanted she could easily replicate these spells. Princess Celestia didn't tell her to actually attempt these spells, but she probably should, right?

She heard snoring outside. Was Spike asleep? He was always sleeping on the job. Leave him alone for a second and he was asleep. She looked at the Dark Artes spell book she was reading, and suddenly got a sinister idea. She could fix him real good with a small spell from here. Nothing lethal, just something to... spook him a little...

She slowly crept out of her room and into the main auditorium of the library. She looked in the center and saw Spike, leaning against the wall, holding a broom, fast asleep. Looking at him gave Twilight very dark emotions. It never failed. This was why the chores always took so long. Well, after this he'd never fall asleep during chores again.

Twilight slowly approached Spike, her horn glowing a sinister red. She then pointed her horn on Spike's forehead, closed her eyes, and focused on the images she wanted to send to him. After sending the images, she stepped back and watched as the effects of her spell took hold.

He began twitching uncontrollably, and it looked like he was in some sort of mental stress. Had it worked? Did she actually induce a nightmare? She found herself fascinated mostly, but something inside of her couldn't help but smile seeing her work. Seeing him moan. Seeing him... suffer...

Wait... what was she doing? This was Spike. She used him as a guinea pig before when she was testing spells, but the most she ever did to him physically was give him a mustache. Right now, he was in pain. Pain that she inflicted.

She immediately shot a white burst of magic at him, instantly waking him up. He looked around, relieved that it was all a dream, and then saw Twilight standing by the door.

"Twilight! Oh my god, I just had the most horrifying dream! I mean, it started out as a good dream, but then it just changed all of a sudden! I saw Rarity, she was at the edge of a cliff, and she was calling for help, but the gemstones turned into monsters, and kept me from..." he must have noticed Twilight's expression, because he stopped and began walking over to her, "Twilight, are you okay? You look like you're about to cry."

Twilight shook her head, and then ran off into her room, where she fell onto her bed and wept loudly. She had just done the one thing that she swore she'd never do. She turned her magic on one of her friends, with the intention of hurting them. The more she resisted, the more it sort of seemed like it was true. But she wouldn't accept that. She couldn't. It was too frightening to think of, that she was actually...

Outside, Spike was listening to her sobs. To him, they weren't the sobs of someone who was overly stressed, or someone who was overreacting. Those were the sobs of someone truly scared. The kind of sobs one only cries when there's something seriously wrong, but they won't tell anyone.

"Twilight..." Spike said softly, "What's happening to you?"


Elsewhere, a small caravan was making it's way to Ponyville. The pony driving it had been there before, many years ago. But she was disgraced, and forced to leave.

It was her own fault though. She bragged about skills she didn't truly have, achievements she didn't really achieve, and claimed to do things in her future that at the time she didn't plan on doing. But she did them. And now things were different. She was a changed mare now. She new the meaning of true magic, she had a whole roster of achievements under her belt, and she was much, much, stronger than she had been before.

And now it was time to show that to the pony who made her want to change in the first place...