• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,396 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,396

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 6: You've got mail

Chapter Six: You’ve Got Mail

“I'm certainly getting a lot more mail... that's basically it.” Sam Mendes

“...And then this morning I got a letter from Princess Celestia with the spell she uses to send messages to Spike. I was going to try sending him what he asked for, along with a few extra things, but Pinkie burst through the door and interrupted me. You all know how it goes from there.” Twilight said, finishing her story with liberal help from Rarity and Rainbow Dash at different points throughout. Around her the others sat stunned. Fluttershy had spent a great deal of the time hiding behind her mane or clutching onto Rarity and Rainbow, whichever one wasn’t adding their perspective to the story. Pinkie had started the story with a box of popcorn, but by the end she was busy reenacting the story based on her own understanding of it. Applejack had just sat there throughout, listening.

“That’s quite an adventure ya’ll had yesterday,” Applejack said. “So this spell you got, it’s gonna let you send thangs to Spike. You think they got this spell from the Princess for you because they don’t want her finding out that Spike willingly went with him?”

“Well when you put it that way it makes us seem a bit irrational,” Rarity said cagily.

“It’s jus’ that ya’ll seem a bit worried that this fellow is up to no good, but at the same time he seems a mite bit helpful.”

“We don’t know that it was his idea or Spike’s. We’re just making assumptions at this point,” Twilight said, seeing where Applejack was coming from.

“Okay sugarcube. I jus’ got one other question. You normally send letter to the princess via Spike. Heck, the rest of us have had his help to do the same since you went a bit loopy with the doll. He only ever sends stuff to her and her to him, right? So how in Equestria did you get that scroll?”

“I- I don’t know Applejack. I guess we’ll find out if I can get this spell to work and we ask him in a letter. Otherwise we will have to wait for him to come back. Now, if everypony doesn’t mind, I would like very much to go ahead and use the spell,” said Twilight as she stood up. “If you want to stay and watch I suggest you take cover behind Rainbow’s ‘book fort’ in case something goes wrong, again.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“If you don’t mind.”

“Yay! Dog fort, come in dog fort, this is book fort.”

“Better safe than- Pinkie, what in Equestria are you doing?”

“Alright let’s see some cool spell casting.”

As her friends took cover, Twilight started casting the spell to send the first stack of resources to Spike. As the spell charged, the lights in the room went out, causing Twilight’s horn to cast an eerie glow on the library. Without warning, the spell activated. This time it flew towards the stack, causing it to dematerialize and disappear in a flash. In the dim library Twilight’s friends sat shocked by the display, jaws resting on the floor.

Twilight opened her eyes to see the stack gone; despite feeling light-headed she stayed upright and turned to her friends asking, “Yay, it worked. That wasn’t so hard,” Twilight said confidently, before falling over.

“TWILIGHT!” they all yelled, rushing to her side.

“Oh dear.”

“Hey are you alright?”

“Twilight wake up!”

“Give her some space.”

“Twilight, darling, can you her me?”

“Uh-huh. I’ll be okay,” Twilight said as she came to. “Just took a teensy bit more out of me than I was expecting. Either they are further away than we thought, or I don’t know Spike as well I as thought I did.”

“That was so cool Twilight! Hey since you can send the stuff do you think that there might be a way to track where it goes?” Rainbow asked as she hovered above the group.

“I don’t know, we can try. Although, I think I’m going to break the next stack into smaller parts.”

* * * * * * * * * * * *

It was an early afternoon in a once pristine clearing near the lake. Spike was breathing hard, fighting to stand up. His nose was running with blood and several of his scales were broken or had fallen out. Across from him Drake was breathing heavy as well, a thin trail of red running out from his mouth, and scorch marks from when Spike had used his fire to defend himself.

‘Who’d have thunk the little guy was so tough?’ Drake thought, waiting to see if Spike would charge him again. ‘I didn’t expect him to be a pushover, but he has more in him than I thought.’

Across from Drake, Spike snorted, smoke rising from his nose as he stood from where Drake had thrown him. ’Although insulting his loved ones might have been a bit much. Next go I’m gonna make him submit and end this spar, else one is us might end up seriously injured.’

‘I have to get back up; show him that I can be strong, that I am not a liability to my friends. Can’t let him get away with what he said; don’t care if it was to help me fight. I’m not stopping till he gives up,’ Spike thought, pushing himself up when he felt a familiar rumbling in his gut. His cheeks bugled and he blench a stream of green flame.

Drake dived to the left, thinking Spike was attacking again. Rolling to his feet Drake started running towards Spike, planning to end the sparring match. Just as he reached him, Spike threw up his hand yell, “Stop! That wasn’t an attack, it was a bunch of mail.”

“Mail?” Drake asked, skidding to a stop next to Spike.

“Yeah, looks like Twilight finally figured out that spell,” Spike said, laughing as he pointed to the pile of books, scrolls and other resources in next to him. “Seems she went overboard on what she thought we could use.”

“Indeed,” Drake said, looking it over. “Guess we should sort through it; figure out we what we need to take with us, what we might be able to use, and if there is anything we need to send back.”

“Why would we need to send anything back?” Spike asked, sorting through the pile while Drake separated the delivery into piles of books, scrolls, notebooks, essays, bags, and even a set of twelve piece luggage.

“Because we can’t carry everything with us. Every extra item is another thing to loses or get damaged. We just take the essentials,” Drake said, wondering just how much they had received.

After they had sorted through about half the pile putting the map, a book on exotic flora and fauna, and a first aid kit off the side, Spike felt another delivery building in his gut. “Oh come on,” he said, before burping up another bunch of resources. “Seriously Twilight, send the whole library why don’t you.”

“What was that?” Drake asked, returning from a quick bathroom break.

“We got another delivery.”

“Damn, how much is she gonna send?”

“Don’t-” Spike was cut off as a third delivery materialized out of his flame, “know.”

“Let’s hope that’s all,” Drake said, once again sorting thought all the materials. Spike nodded and returned to work alongside him.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

That evening the pair sat around a campfire, looking over the map while trying to figure out where they were and where they should go to leave Equestria. Nearby sat two piles: a small pile which included a book on the different flora and fauna known to pony kind, a reference guide on the culture and habits of different races, a medical manual complete with recipes for different herbal medicines, a pair of blank journals, a single story book, the first aid kit, and a dictionary. The other pile was much larger and included books such as Camping for Eggheads, An Introduction of Long Distance Travel, and a myriad of other books that weren’t of lasting necessity to the duo and the twelve piece luggage set.

“Based on what I can tell, this lake here should be us,” Drake said, pointing to a small blue blot in the center of the map, just a little way northeast of Canterlot.

“Wow, that put us way further from Ponyville than I thought,” Spike said, surprised by just how far he had traveled in just a few days.

“Well this is just a guess, but those volcanoes over here should be where we met,” Drake explained, tapping the map. “Then we flew northwest outta there, and this is the first lake along such a path.”

“Well then where are we going to go from here?”

“I figured we could turn west and head towards that gap in the mountains along the western border that extend southwest down to this area marked with…a buffalo head, right?”

“Yeah, says here that it’s the Buffalo Territories,” Spike said before asking, “So what do you think is out there? The only thing beyond those mountain seems to be plains marked ‘Wildlands’ and a note about ‘here thar be monsters’.”

“Really, it says ‘here thar be monsters’?” Drake asked, suppressing a chuckle.

“Yep, there’s a fort called Bastion in the gap, then everything beyond is essentially unexplored.”

“Guess that means we get to explore a whole new world,” Drake said, excitement sparkling in his eyes.

”Yeah…hey, why did you want to bring the two journals and dictionary anyway?”

“Well I figured the dictionary would be useful for teaching me to read, and I could use one journal to learn to write and keep a record of everything that happens.”

“And the other one?”

“I thought you might want to keep a journal. It’d be a good to have a record of anything we find or learn during this adventure. Plus, don’t you think Twilight will want to know all about your journey. Maybe you could publish it and it’ll become an adventure tale everyone will want to read: A story with thrills, adventure, self-discovery and who knows what else.”

“That makes some sense, the part about Twilight, not the publishing deal,” Spike said, getting up to retrieve the book.

“It’s your call. I’m gonna turn in for the night. Don’t stay up too late, we have to send the stuff we can’t take with us back tomorrow morning, and then we will head out towards the Wildland.” Drake said settling into a comfortable sleeping posistion while Spike began his journal.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Author’s Note: Ok this is the set-up for the first part of the story out of the way. For the next couple of chapters or so depending on how long I make them everything is going to start from an entry in Spike journal, but may transition to the events as they happened, but will likely be from Spike’s perspective. As always thanks to every who reads, and has Favorited.

*Reviewed 26 Dec 2015- No major changes to this chapter.

PreviousChapters Next