• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,396 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,396

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 4: Answers

Chapter 4: Answers

“I do like to shock and surprise people. When it's all in good fun, of course.”
Ruth Warrick

As Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity ran, flew, teleported, hid and otherwise attempted to flee from the dragons chasing them, Drake and Spike flew through the skies, gliding on thermals. As the enjoyed the wind rushing through their scales, Drake called back to his passenger, “So Spike, why don’t you tell me a bit about yourself.”

“Well what do you want to know about me? Seems to me like you already know more than you should,” Spike said cautiously.

“Why don’t you begin with the beginning; that should be enough to keep us occupied until we land.”

“Are you sure? I’m not really that interesting.”

“Ah, but you know nothing about me. Perhaps I shall be entertained and intrigued by the life of a dragon raised by ponies; just don’t be surprised if I ask questions for clarification.”

“Okay. Hey, what did you say your name was?”

“I didn’t, but its Drake, Drake Rex.”

“That’s a little strange, isn’t drake the word for a male dragon? Aren’t I a drake?”

“Yes I suppose that is true, but we are discussing your life story, not mine,” Drake said while thinking, ‘That damn star sure has a sense of irony doesn’t it.’

“Well okay, I started as a cute little purple and green egg…” Spike quickly fell into telling of his story and throughout the day the two dragons continued to wing their way west. As Spike spun his tale, Drake laughed at the young dragon’s antics and asked questions about things he hadn’t seen watching the show. The only interruption they suffered was when Spike burped up a letter which was lost in the winds and fell to the ground.

“And finally, I met you outside the volcano,” Spike said, finishing his story as the sun began to sink beyond the horizon.

“Well that is quite the interesting story. I believe I now know enough to teach you what you need to know about being a dragon; I’ve about put together a plan for controlling our Greed as well. For now keep a sharp eye out on the ground, I could use help finding a place for us to spend the night.”

“Ok, anything in particular?”

“A five star hotel with all you can eat buffets and mints on the pillow would be nice, but failing that a cave or someplace with water.”

“Okay,” Spike replied, chuckling as he began scanning the ground. Drake had seemed a bit odd at first but after spending the day with him Spike felt he was an okay kind of pony, or dragon. Definitely okay kind of dragon. A short while later, he spotted a lake to the south of their current course. “Hey I see a lake down there, off to the left. Does that work?”

“Where?” Drake asked, trying to spot the lake Spike mentioned.

“Right over there, surrounded by those trees. See it?”

Drake scanned where Spike was pointing, not seeing a thing until he noticed the setting sun glinting off something near the horizon. “Is that it, back there towards the horizon?”

“Yeah, see it now?”

“Yep, that looks perfect; hang on for a course change.” Drake banked left. Within the hour they touched down on the banks of the lake. Spike jumped down and stumbled, his legs having fallen asleep from the long flight. “Go ahead and walk that off. I’m gonna go cool off in the lake.” Drake slid into the lake, sighing contently as its water lapped at his flight muscles cooling them after a long day of work. ‘I’m surprised I was able to fly for so long. Must be a natural thing for dragons,’ He thought as he lazed about in the water

Once feeling returned to his legs, Spike walked to the edge of the water and called out to Drake. “Hey, are we going to do anything for dinner? I’m getting hungry and it’s getting late.”

Drake thought for a moment before he felt a fish nibble at his dangling toes. “Yeah, you get some wood for a fire and stone to make a fire circle, so we don’t burn down the forest. I doubt that would end very well. I’m going to get us some fish.”

“I was thinking gems. I don’t eat meat.”

“There’s a first time for anything. Plus, this can serve as your first lesson in being a dragon.”

“I’m not sure. If I start eating meat-”

“Time for dragon biology lesson number one,” Drake said, mentally kicking himself for not thinking about how hard this would be. “Dragons can eat pretty much anything, but not everything is equal. Plant based food doesn’t provide any nutrition, although it will fill you up. Gems and metals affect the growth of scales and inherent magical abilities, such as our flight and, supposedly, our fire, while meat fuels our growth and strength. From now on you’re getting meat in your diet,” Drake said carefully noting Spike’s reactions.

Spike shifted uneasily. “So the reason I haven’t grown any in years is because I haven’t been eating meat?”

“Exactly, for a sixteen year old dragon you’re small and weak. Even the growth and strength from your last birthday was purely the result of your Greed fueled by magic.”

“But is I start eating meat… What I’m trying to say is… That is… Won’t I become a pony eating monster like other dragons? If that’s the case, I refuse. I agreed to come with you to become strong to protect, not harm,” Spike said angrily, turning away from Drake.

“Calm down Spike,” Drake said softly. “I have no intention of making you eat anything capable of doing math.”

“Really?” Spike said curiously, still uncertain about the prospect of eating meat. “But I was told that most dragons eat ponies and such. How do I know this isn’t a trick?”

“Perhaps your typical dragon would, but, by now, you’ve realized I’m not a normal dragon,” Drake said with a smirk, watching the gears turn in Spike’s head.

“Then what kind of dragon are you?” Spike asked suspicion creeping into this voice.

“I’ll make you a deal Spike, but first get the fire started while I catch us some fish.”

“Well…. alright,” Spike said still uncertain but deciding if he had trusted Drake so far a bit more wouldn’t hurt him.

Both began going about their task. Drake swam through the lake, attempting to catch fish at different spots. Meanwhile, Spike found enough rocks for the fire-ring, and then wandered the surrounding forest for wood. With the sun nearly below the horizon, Drake climbed out of the lake carrying several fish in his claws and one stuck on a spine.

‘Finally caught the slippery bastards,’ he thought as he walked over to where Spike had piled the rocks and several trips worth of wood. ‘Hope he gets the fire started soon…where is he anyway?’

“Spike! Hey Spike! I got dinner, get the fire started so it will be ready by the time I am done prepping it.”

“I’m coming. Hold your hooves,” Spike said ,coming out of the forest carrying a bundle of sticks in one hand and dragging log three times his size behind him.

“See I am not a puny weakling, I pulled that all the way here.”

“I never said you were.”

“Yes you did.”

“I said for a sixteen year old you were; not for your current size.”

“So you are saying I am puny strongling?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Okay then,” Spike muttered, moving into the campsite and building the fire like he had seen the buffalo build theirs. The whole time he kept his eyes of Drake.

A short distance away Drake used his claws to slit the fish open and clean the guts and other entrails out for them. Once he had all the entrails removed, he set the fish on a large rock by the fire. He then took the entrails and buried them, like he remembered people doing in the novels he’d read.

Spike continued to add wood to the fire as he kept his eyes on Drake. When Drake returned from burying the fish guts he said nothing, averting his eyes to focus on the fire. Spike didn’t turn them back to Drake until he heard him messing with the wood, and the next he knew Drake had impaled the fish mouth first upon sticks.

Too curious to keep quiet, Spike was the first to break the silence, “What are you doing with the fish, why are they on those sticks?”

“Simple, I like cooked meat, and this is the most effective way to do it. Watch.” Drake began setting the sticks into the ground around the fire. “See, now the fish can cook without us having to hold it the whole time.”

“Ok, so what is this deal you mentioned?” Spike asked, getting antsy as it was now dark, and aside from the fire the only light outside was the stars and a crescent moon.

“We need a map, and some information about where we are heading. You happen to have the ability to send and receive mail. You’re part is to send Twilight a letter; after all, I’m sure that she’s worried about you. In the letter, you can say most anything you want, but you will need to request at the very least a map and information about the land outside of Equestria.”

“And in return?” Spike expected something big, something serious.

“In return I will tell my life story, during which you may ask as many questions as you desire.”

“Okay. I accept,” Spike said. He was more than willing to take that deal, writing a letter would be a piece of cake. “I should warn you, there isn’t much known about the world outside of Equestria,” Spike mentioned casually, remembering all the times he had sorted books in the library.

“Can’t be helped. Go and compose your letter; I’ll tend to the fish.”

“And you promise eating it won’t turn me into a pony eating monster?”

“Promise.”

“Okay, let’s take care of that letter. I think I have a scroll and some ink in my knapsack.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

Elsewhere, as the setting sun painted the sky orange and red, three tired, slightly scorched, and ragged ponies approached the doors to the Ponyville library. Twilight and Rarity trudged on the ground as Rainbow Dash hovered alongside them. Twilight held her head low. Rarity fussed over the scorch marks and soot marring her coat. Rainbow’s wings were missing a few feathers, her fur more scorched than the others, and she kept glancing around, keeping closer to the ground than her norm. Once they reached the door, Twilight opened it with her telekinesis and the others followed her in.

“You can wait over there; I’ll get us something to drink,” Twilight said morosely, motioning for Rarity and Rainbow to sit down amongst the bean bag chairs set aside for guests. Before Twilight could continue on into the kitchen, Rarity intercepted her.

“No way Twilight! You saved us for those terrifying dragons. You go, sit down, and I’ll get us all something to drink,” Rarity said leaving no room for argument, “And while I am doing that, tell Rainbow Dash where the first aid kit is. That way we can take care of the burns and scrapes we got from that dreadful encounter.”

Twilight nodded meekly and sat in one of the beanbag chairs, as she told Rainbow where to find the first-aid kit. A short time later Rainbow came down the stairs, first-aid kit between her teeth. As she was laying it down on the table, Rarity returned from the kitchen floating three glasses and a pitcher of water with her.

“Here you go,” Rarity said, giving Twilight a glass, “drink this; it will help you feel better.”

“Uh-huh,” Twilight replied, taking the glass into her telekinetic field without looking up.

“Please cheer up Twilight. You saved our lives today. Having me use my gem finder spell then teleporting the nearby gems into a pile to distract the dragons while we made our escape was ingenious,” Rarity said, lifting Twilight’s head up to look her in the eye.

“Hey, don’t forget my part,” Rainbow said, “I spent a good ten to fifteen minutes flying around distracting those dragons while you two gathered those gems.” Rainbow flew around the room with some flips and stunts, right until she crashed into a bookshelf. But even as it fell over Twilight hardly stirred, rather she lifted to bookcase off Rainbow and set it right, leaving the books where they had fallen.

“Rainbow! Are you okay?” Rarity rushed over, helping Rainbow out of the books.

“Yeah, yeah I am fine,” Rainbow said, standing up and shaking off the crash when Rarity brushed a burn from dragon’s fire. Despite her best effort to suppress the pain, Rainbow gasped loudly.

“Rainbow what’s wrong?” Rarity asked, afraid she’d hurt Rainbow somehow. Looking at where she’d touched, Rarity remembered the encounter had not left them entirely injury free.

“It’s time we took care of those burns.” As she walked Rainbow over a beanbag near Twilight, Rarity began pulling out burn ointments and bandages from the first-aid kit.

“Hey Twilight, how did you know the dragons would go for the gems instead of continuing to chase us?” Rainbow asked as the bandages and ointment hovered around the trio in Rarity’s levitation field, applying themselves to the injuries.

“Well honestly, it was purely a guess,” Twilight said, looking up to reply to Rainbow. “Dragons like shiny, precious things, are highly competitive, and… and…” Twilight began to tear up, “And gems were Spiiiiike’s favorite foooood!” The floodgates opened and Twilight broke down, burying her head into her seat.

“Twilight, honey, don’t… don’t cry,” Rarity sniffled, trying to hold back what was coming. “I’m sure that we’ll g-get Spikey-Wikey baaaaaaaaaaack!” Rarity joined Twilight, tears pouring out of her eyes as she fell onto a fainting couch that appeared out of nowhere.

Rainbow began to tear up, but refusing to drop her tough mare act, opted for a different route. “I could have caught them if that stupid costume hadn’t slowed me down,” she complained, tears beginning to leak down her face.

“It is not the costume’s fault Rainbow,” Rarity said, her tears drying once her work was insulted. “None of us could have done anything. Without that costume we would have been dead before we reached the volcano.”

“Yeah, the costume worked wonders; it really fooled the dragon that took Spike away.”

“Well I… You see…”

“Stop it girls, fighting won’t bring him back.” Rarity and Rainbow Dash turned to see Twilight had stopped crying, although her body language told them she was still depressed. “In fact, nothing will.”

“Twilight, darling, you don’t mean to say you’re giving up do you?”

“Yeah Twilight, quitting is for losers, and you are NOT a loser.”

“Maybe I am,” she replied sullenly, “I lost Spike after all.” As the tears began to well up once again, Rarity rushed over to Twilight, embracing her.

“There, there,” Rarity said, stroking Twilight’s mane. “I am sure we will find a way to save him and bring him home.” As she continued to comfort her, Rarity signaled for Rainbow Dash to join her and Twilight. When Rainbow baulked, Rarity steeled her gaze, a dark fire entering her shadowy eyes like a being of pure evil was taking roost. Rather than discover what evil would befall her if she continued to refuse, Rainbow joined in, doing her best to comfort the crying unicorn.

As they girls were locked in the group hug, a wisp of smoke came into the library unnoticed... Until it started to swirl before Twilight. A moment later, it coalesced into a roll of parchment, and fell to the ground.

“What th-”

“Pick it up Twilight, it must be important,” Rarity said, wondering where it could’ve come from.

“Okay, okay.” Twilight grasped the scroll with her magic, unrolled it at eye level, and read its message aloud for all to hear.

“From Spike to Twilight Sparkle,”

“It’s from Spike! Is he ok? Does he need rescuing?” Rainbow Dash was in the air, ready to go despite the day’s events.

“Yes, is little Spikey-Wikey injured? If that mean thieving blue dragon has done anything to hurt Spike I’ll make him rue the day! Rue the day!”

“Quiet girls, if you would let me keep reading.”

“Oh course, please continue.”

From Spike to Twilight Sparkle,

Hey Twilight! I am having fun on my quest of self-discovery. I hope everything in Ponyville is going well. This morning, I met this really interesting dragon named Drake. It’s an odd name but he’s been real informative. He’s a bit vague about himself, but promised to tell me more after I sent this letter. He’s offered to teach me about being a dragon, and even how to master my greed. I think he needs my help to do that though I am not sure why. Anyway, Drake tells me because of the risks involved we have to leave Equestria. I was hoping you could send us a copy of the world map and any information you have on the lands beyond Equestria.

Your Number One Assistant

Spike

“So Spike is ok,” Rainbow said, lowering herself to the ground.

“And he’s leaving Equestria,” Rarity said, sniffling.

“It seems that way girls, and he isn’t coming back anytime soon.” Twilight looked over the letter again, her whole manner changing from sad to determine. “He won’t be back anytime soon, but he still needs my help.” Twilight began running around the library sorting through books, making copies of this and that in a whirlwind of activity.

“I think it’s best we go Rainbow, lest we get in her way,” Rarity said, nudging Rainbow towards the door. “Twilight, we’re going home but we’ll be back tomorrow to check on you.”

“Uh? Oh, ok,” Twilight replied without turning from what she was doing. “See you then.”

Once outside the library Rainbow turned to Rarity. “Do you think it’s safe to leave her alone tonight after everything that happened today?”

“Before she got Spike’s letter I would’ve agreed that we should stay with her, but she is going to be so focused on getting things together for Spike that we would just get in the way. Go home and heal up. Tomorrow morning we’ll meet here and see how she is doing.”

“Ok, see you tomorrow.” Rainbow took off towards her cloud house, and Rarity walked back to her boutique. In the library, Twilight continued to work at a feverish pace until she passed out for exhaustion brought on by the day’s events.

* * * * * * * * * * *

“And that is how we met,” Drake said, finished telling Spike his story, unedited and uncensored. “Now you know the whole truth about me. It’s time to rest. Go to bed, and sleep on everything I’ve told you this evening. If you still want me to, I will begin teaching you in the morning.”

“But, but, wait if you’re…then how…and…” Spike stuttered, still trying to process everything Drake had said.

“Go to sleep. We’ll talk more in the morning,” Drake said as he settled down to sleep. Spike soon followed, and within minutes both dragons were sound asleep, the moon and stars watching over them.

Author's Note:

Chapter Four over and done. Thank you to everyone who has liked and/or favorited Drake's Empire, Be sure to keep reading if you want to see who they run into on there way out of Equestria. Lastly, if you notice any errors please let me know so I can fix them.

Now (hopefully) improved.

PreviousChapters Next