• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,412 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,412

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36: In the Arms of a Star

Chapter 36: In the Arms of a Star
"When it gets dark enough, you can see the stars."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

In Forum, hours had passed since Drake struck true on the anvil with Seeleformer. The guards posted became bored and drifted together from their assigned posts. They laughed and joked, trying to fight off an ill feeling that was slowly growing in the ruined city as Drake remained in his coma. Elsewhere, muted business was being conducted. Still, Drake did not stir where they could see.

Drake was far from idle though. While magic drained from his body, his mind ran free. As soon as he struck the anvil, he found himself adrift in a void. Darkness broken only by a few bright stars and a scattered, tattered spider web of white threads running between the stars and outlined holes where other stars once shone.

He felt compelled to trace the lines with his finger. After his finger went over them, the lines would glow more brightly. Some only for a moment, others more permanently. Drake started to notice whispers. No matter where he turned, he could not find the source. The whispers grew louder and louder until Drake needed to cover his ears with his hands. Still, the whispers continued unabated. Drake cried out in defiance of the unintelligible whispers. They ceased with a loud pop.

Drake found himself in a familiar office board room. A tired looking woman across from him. She swept a lock of red hair out of her face, and flashed him a grin. She jumped out of her seat at Drake, who caught her. He felt her arms wrap around him in a hug as she began to cry into his shirt.

“You stupid, stupid, wonderful, brilliant, foolish, brave man.” She said as she sobbed. Drake noticed, for the first time since entering the void, he wasn’t a dragon but human once again, or mostly human. He added the amendment for the pointed teeth he felt, and the now familiar weight of wings on his back.

“Hey there Kallyn.” Drake said, pausing to see if he had remembered her name this time. A faint upturning of her lips let him know he had. “This is a bit different from last time. You okay?”

“After our last discussion the Convention placed new barriers around my prison. I’ve been trying for so long to speak to you again. To warn you against what you just did, but it doesn’t matter now. You did the stupidest possible thing, just like I knew you would.” Kallyn said, prying herself off Drake.

“This about the changelings or something else? Cause the changeling thing is working out pretty well so far. Wait, what is the Convention?” Drake said, pulling a seat out for Kallyn, and another for himself.

“No, it’s not about the changelings, though I’m still not happy about that. Do you realize how close you came to dying against her? How very close you came to having your mind enthralled by her magic before that?” Kallyn asked, her typical demeanor making a comeback. “If it wasn’t for Princess Luna beating the living daylights out of you each night you would never have stood a chance.”

“It was all part of the plan.” Drake said, relaxing back into his chair hands clasped behind his head. “Now about the Convention you mentioned?”

“I don’t have the time or the crayons to explain it to you. Much more interesting would be this.” Kallyn said, grabbing a remote and clicking the power button. On the wall opposite them a television screen flickered on. Drake’s unmoving body stood in the same place he’d left it, hunched over an anvil.

“Well that isn’t creepy at all.” Drake said.

“It’s the only channel I get, until about six hours ago anyway.”

“Wait! It’s already been six hours!”

“Yeah, here is the other channel that just came up. I even started recording it so I could show you what was happening.” Kallyn said, hitting a series of buttons to change the channel then rewind the single program it was running.

Drake watched as his human self looked around a void. He watched as his hand moved and parts of the space began to light up. As the program continued he saw flickers in the space behind him. A brief change in the darkness heralding the presence of something in the shadows. When the light had grown to a dim dawn in the void Kallyn paused it.

“See them?” She asked, facing Drake with a neutral expression.

“See what?” Drake said, looking closely at the screen. He rose out of his seat slightly to get a better look.

“On the very edges, right behind you.” Kallyn said, letting it play for a moment or two at a time. Drake watched closely as ghosts flickered on the edges of the screens.

“Are those ghosts behind me?”

“I think so. I believe they might be the soul fragments of the past Emperors.” Kallyn said, already maxing out the volume in preparation for Drake’s next question.

“What makes you think they are past emperors?” Kallyn said nothing just pointed at the TV. From the speakers came the eerie whispers he had heard before, but much more clearly.

“Imposter!”

“Invader!”

“Kill! Kill!”

“Why is that here?”

The ghosts spoke in a rasping whisper; their hands reaching ever closer to Drake. Then, just as their fingers closed the last inch, the scene changed and Drake was standing in room with Kallyn.

“Ah, so if you hadn’t pulled me out…” Drake trailed off, turning to face Kallyn.

“They would have tried to destroy your soul. More than likely.”

“That would be bad.”

“Yes, very bad.” Kallyn said as Drake fell back into his chair. As it rocked forward he let it carry him until his elbows were resting on the table with his chin resting on the backs of his hands. After a long silence he sighed and looked her in the eye.

“What now? You can’t just throw me back. I don’t know if I can fight them, much less what will happen if I do. At the same time, I can’t just let them kill me. It also seems likely that I will be trapped in the dreamscape, mindscape, wherever-the-hell-we-are-scape, until we find a way to release me. Unfortunately, I’m willing to bet it is somehow tied to their approval.” Drake said, his volume climbing as he got out of his seat and started pacing.

“I won’t disagree with you on any of that.” Kallyn said, calmly remaining where she was and tracking Drake’s pacing with the slightest turns of her head.

“Dammit, you’re supposed to be the brilliant, all-knowing supernatural being that helps me in my quest when things aren’t working out right. Surely you have some clue what to do!” Drake said, wheeling around on Kallyn, his breath ragged after his outburst and wings spreading ever so slightly.

Kallyn walked over and rested a hand on Drake’s cheek, looking him in the eyes. A soft smile on her face, and laughter in her own eyes.

“There is no need to be afraid. I’m hardly going to throw you to the wolves, or undead spirits of past Minotaur Emperors.” Kallyn said, lifting her hand from his cheek.

“Now get a hold of yourself.” She said, bringing the hand back quickly and slapping Drake. Drake jerked to the left, away from her hand and muttered as he attempted to soothe the pain.

“Thanks for that.” He said after a moment. “Sorry for losing my temper.”

“Eh, I’ll be happy to deal out all the abuse you need to keep your head on. Since it seems to be the only thing you respond well to. Now, figure out your strategy to deal with this, O’ Great Guiding Hand of the Future.” Kallyn said, referring to Drake’s original wish as she leaned back to rest on the table. The room fell silent as Drake considered how to resolve the problem at hand. He took the remote, reversed the recording, maxed out the volume and let it play again.

“Hey Kallyn, can you pull one of those spirits here with us.” Drake asked, pausing the screen.

“Maybe, why?”

“This one here doesn’t seem to be calling for my head. It’s like he’s more curious than killious,” Drake said, pointing at one spirit near the edge that wasn’t reaching at him. He replayed a short clip several times for her so she could her what he was hearing. Kallyn listened closely. Then she heard the what Drake was hearing.

“Why is that here?” One of the ghosts was saying.

“So what, you want to talk to him?”

“If you can bring him here. If we can convince him, then maybe he can get the others to let me pass. Do you have a better idea?” Drake said, handing Kallyn the remote.

Kallyn took it without looking and tossed it on the table. Then she walked over to a clear space and took a deep breath. “I might be able too. You do understand that where we are now is, I guess you would call it, a spiritual plane.”

“Uh huh.”

“And also that I am trapped here in this room for the foreseeable future.”

“You mentioned something to that effect then refused to elaborate.”

“So my powers are limited compared to when you got your wish granted.”

“Are you going somewhere with this?” Drake asked as Kallyn tucked an errant bit of hair behind her right ear.

“This might not work, and if it does it might pull the wrong one here, so be ready for a fight if I get the wrong one.”

“Be on the opposite side of the room, got it.” Drake said. He grabbed a chair and rolled it so he could sit on a corner opposite Kallyn. Kallyn stood gathering her strength and trying to reach out to where she had pulled Drake from and grab the right soul shard to speak with him.

* * * * * * * * *

’It’s surprising just how much you miss a belly button once it is gone,’ Drake thought as he contemplated his own navel, sitting in the corner and still waiting for something to happen. The lack of a clock prevented Drake from knowing how long he’d been gone from reality, but he was willing to bet it was close to 10 hours at this point.

‘Maybe I should put the body channel on,’ Drake thought, getting out of his chair and reaching for the remote. As he stood, Kallyn’s hair started to whip around her, and a whirlwind vortex appeared in front of her.

A moment later a shadow began to flicker into existence. With a blast of silence, it resolved itself in a stocky Minotaur. He was a good head shorter than either Epistaties or Iron Will, and his fur was a deep burgundy. He looked around for a moment, disoriented by his arrival. When his eye settled on Drake, he charged forward in a bull rush.

Drake dodged left and shoved the back of the Minotaur’s head as he passed. The bull smashed in the corner, helped along by Drake’s shove, and his horns stuck in the wall. Drake turned to tell Kallyn to send it back, but saw her sprawled out on the floor, unmoving.

Before he could reach her side, the Minotaur freed his horns and charged again. Drake prepared to jump out of the way, but realized that he wasn’t heading for him, but for Kallyn. As the Minotaur passed, Drake threw out his hands. One missed, but the other made contact with one of his horns.

With all the strength he could muster, Drake yanked back hard, pulling against the Minotaur’s momentum. It veered to the left, letting itself fall into a roll. Drake was pulled along and the two of them rolled away from Kallyn. They both stopped face down staring the other in the eye.

The Minotaur blinked. Drake pushed off the ground with both hands, pulling his feet up. The Minotaur followed a moment later, scrambling to get his hooves grounded. Drake got up first and grabbed the Minotaur’s horns. He pushed down while trying to walk around behind the Minotaur so he could pin him.

The Minotaur swung widely with his right arm trying to keep Drake from getting any closer. He flexed his neck and back to push against Drake and get his head up. With a grunt, he got one hoof on the ground and his other leg to its knee. At that same time Drake pinned the Minotaur’s right hand to the ground with his own foot.

The pair remained locked in battle, neither budging more than an inch either way for an untold time. Then the Minotaur started laughing.

“Ho ho ho he he he he. I yield strange beast, I yield. You have peaked my interests and I highly doubt I would be here unless you or your unconscious friend had something to do with it.” He said, doing his best to meet Drake’s eyes.

“Like that’s going to work.” Drake huffed, enjoying the break he was getting as the Minotaur stopped trying to get him to budge.

“I am a bull of my word. I won’t try to harm you or the other one. Let us cease this fight. We have no physical bodies here. I’ve been a part of the enchantments long enough to know that we are just on another astral plane. Though one unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.” The Minotaur said, his eyes searching the room.

“Why don’t you start by introducing yourself.” Drake said, shifting slightly to stretch, then wondering why. He noticed that while slightly tired, he wasn’t feeling the exhaustion and stiffness he had expected after such a long struggle.

“I am Idrytikó Vasiliá, first of his line, and only of his name. Sixth Emperor of the known world, Tenth King of Labyrinthine and the first to wield Seeleformer, given as gift from the Canyon Wolves in the one-hundredth year of our alliance. Bane of the Tartarus spawned and winner of the Kettlepot kettlepot cook-off five consecutive years under the name, Mastoú Paráfron in the years prior to my ascension to the throne.” He said, doing his best to adopt a regal pose despite Drake’s continued grip on him.

Drake took his foot off Idrytikó’s hand. “Why don’t I believe that. Oh, yeah. Perhaps because nothing you have said sounds anything like an Emperor.” Drake said.

“What, you want me to make grand statements and talk in the royal we? Kneeleth knave before thy lord and emperor. Or knoweth thou not the proper curtsies due us and our station?” Idrytikó said his voice, shifting slightly. “Yeah, neither of us want that.”

“I’ve spent too long as a fragment in the enchantments to care about that anymore. So many different Emperors come and gone. The first one not of my blood was a big shock, but hey, that’s civil wars for you.”

Drake let his hands drop and stepped back, giving Idrytikó space to stand up. Idrytikó took a moment to stretch out, not because he needed it, but because it felt natural.

“So what now.” Drake asked.

“Now you introduce and explain yourself. If I believe what you say, I will help you. If not, the other Emperors and I will destroy you, or at least keep you trapped in this space till your body dies in the real world.” Idrytikó said, peeking behind Drake at Kallyn. “Should we do something with… her?”

“Yeah, she would probably appreciate that.” Drake said. He went over to her, keeping his eyes on Idrytikó. He lifted her up gently and placed her in a spare chair next to the table. Once she was situated, Drake turned back to him. “Alright, you want to know about me?”

“Are you some kind of special or just trying to make me angry? Yes, explain who you are and why you now walk the hallowed realm of Emperors. Explain how it is that you are awakening that which has lain dormant since the last Emperor fell to the madness and began corrupting all those that touched his soul.”

“I am Drake Rex. A human that came to the world you know because of this lady here.” Drake said, waving at Kallyn. “She is a wishing star, if that means anything to you, who I wished upon and learned the value of the old idiom to be careful for what you wish for.” He paused to grab the remote and switch the TV to the body channel.

“Now I am a dragon trying to restore the city of Forum and bring a measure of security and safety to those that roam your former Empire, now a wasteland called the Wildlands by the only coherent nation that I have encountered.” Drake said. Idrytikó looked at him for a moment, then at the screen, then at Kallyn and Drake again.

“Start from the very beginning, and give me a chair, I think this is going to take a while.” Idrytikó said with a sigh, his shoulders sagging.

* * * * * * * * *

The sun rose and set on the screen as Drake spoke. Kallyn woke up about halfway through and added her own bits and thoughts when she saw openings. Idrytikó listened attentively. He asked many questions early on, but mostly listened silently.

“And then she pulled you onto this plane.” Drake said, finishing the story. Idrytikó was silent for a short moment, then his mind was made up. He stood and walked over to the screen.

“Forum, an interesting place to make the new capitol. What does it say of your values? What will it say to the world? What kind of hoard will it be for that dragon standing there?” Idrytikó said, not looking at them but the ruin in the background. Drake started to speak, but Kallyn put a hand on his arm and shook her head, silencing whatever Drake wanted to say.

“I believe you and find your aspirations to be just and worthy of an Emperor. I will aid you in convincing or subduing the others. Steel your spirit, and be ready.” Idrytikó said, turning around to fix his gaze on Kallyn.

“Say no more, you will be going first since I am having to constantly fight to keep you here. Drake will be along in just a moment,” She said. Idrytikó nodded as he began to fade out. With a sigh and a muffled pop, he disappeared completely, leaving Drake and her alone once more.

Kallyn’s shoulders slumped and she collapsed into a nearby chair, breathing deeply. “It feels good to have him gone. Whatever you want to call that plane he is from, it had a strong desire to get him back.”

“Is that what you meant about it being a constant fight to keep him here?” Drake asked.

“Yeah, that is why I passed out there for a bit. All my strength was used up in getting him here, and it was being drained away just as quickly as it was coming back.” Kallyn said. She waved Drake over. Drake walked over and held out a hand. Kallyn grasped it and let Drake pull her up, falling into him for a moment.

“Sorry.” She muttered, righting herself on her feet. “Drake, there is something you need to know.”

“What?”

“These planes, they reflect your mind. That is why your body has changed. Your perception of yourself is changing. Be careful that you don’t lose yourself. Dragons are powerful, but unpredictable creatures. Humans even more so. Do not lose yourself to the powers of Chaos, no matter the advantage they give you.” Kallyn said.

“I-“

“Don’t give me false platitudes. Look at yourself.”

“Okay. I promise, I will be careful with my greed powers.” Drake said, drawing her into a hug. He felt a bit foolish, but, at the same time, it felt right.

“One more thing, since they reflect your mind, if you concentrate hard enough you can change them. Keep that in mind when you go back to the Emperors.” Kallyn said, breaking the hug.

“Are you ready?” She asked taking a deep breath.

Drake looked into her green eyes. A fear lurked in them, though of loneliness or for his fate he could not tell.

“Yes. Let’s get your favorite program back on air.” Drake said with a nod towards the TV.

Kallyn giggled. “Keep hold of your humor. It will serve you well. This will be the last time you see me for some time. Don’t forget your promise.” Kallyn leaned in and kissed Drake lightly on the cheek. “Good luck.”

Before Drake could respond he felt the world fading around him. An instant later, he was back in the void. Darkness was still its predominant feature, but the starlight shone like a coming dawn. He took a deep breath and concentrated. Trying to put what Kallyn had told him into practice.And then, a moment later, the world began shifting.

* * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Idrytikó Vasiliá - Founding King
Mastoú Paráfron - Udder Insane

Sorry for the long break. Been busy finishing a program and moving.

Thanks as ways to my editor Alphamaxis without whom this story would be no where near as good as it is.

And Thank you to you to reader who Like, Favorite, and comment. You are the motivation to keep writing this even when it is difficult. :raritywink:

PreviousChapters Next