• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,415 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,415

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 3: Seized

Chapter 3 – Seized
“A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people.” - Frederick Douglass

Drake stared off into the distance, his face scrunched up in concentration as he digested the information the juvenile dragons provided him. He’d interrogated them for several hours before stopping to think on what they said. Red’s corpse lay nearby where he had fallen. Albino was on his back. After the elders had refused to provide aid, the others did their best to help, but they didn’t know how to provide the aid he needed. Every now and then Drake addressed them seeking clarification which only hampered their efforts by distracting them.

“Okay, so let me get this straight,” Drake said. “This place it Layover Crater. It is located in Equestria. This place only exists due to some Pony Princesses bribing dragons to use this place rather than risk them terrorizing the countryside during the migration happening right now.” The beaten beasts quickly nodded affirmatively. They turned back to helping their friend, but were interrupted again. “According to you, as a dragon, I can eat anything I can get my teeth on, but only gemstones and meat provide the nutrients I need to grow and get stronger.” The delinquents nodded again and Drake fell silent.

After about half an hour Drake spoke to them again. “Just to clarify, my growth is fueled by two attributes you called Greed and Need, right?” The juveniles looked up for a moment and nodded. “Now, as I fuel or give in to my Greed I’ll lose intelligence and self-control, but gain size and strength, while my need will cause my body to change gradually but permanently to better suit the environments I spend most of my time in.”

“Yes sir, Drake sir,” Hairy said, his voice quivering as he hoped perhaps this intruder would finally leave them to tend to their friend. “Although you need a hoard to gain strength through Greed--otherwise you have nothing to fuel it, the size of the hoard will act as a limit on the amount of strength Greed gives you. If there are other dragons around, their presence can also help keep you in check-- otherwise you become a raging brute your strength limited only by your hoard.”

Rather than give the dragons what they wanted Drake continued talking. “Okay, now that we have reviewed basic survival and anatomy, time for politics. You said Equestria was a moderately sized nation. Ruled by ponies who are led by a goddess that is said to move the sun and moon, it is the only stable nation in the world. Furthermore it has strict laws that ensure ‘harmony’ is maintained. Meanwhile, the land outside Equestria tends to be wild and is inhabited by griffins, minotaurs, diamond dogs, dragons and a host of other creatures.”

“Ye-yes, sir,” Blue answered silently pleading to whoever would listen that Drake was done talking to them. Fortunately it seemed someone was listening.

“Ight, thanks for your help. Good luck saving your friend.” With that Drake turned and started walking away. While on the outside he had remained harsh and cold in order to keep control over the young drakes, being a brony and confirming he was in Equestria had caused him to smile inwardly. Learning about the rest of the world had piqued his curiosity.

‘What to do, what to do?’ He thought to himself. ‘It’s the middle of the dragon migration. Since I didn’t see Spike and his Crackle costumed stalkers, there is a chance that I could meet them sometime soon, but from what they were saying about the lands outside Equestria…hmm. The chance to see beyond what was shown, but the loss of meeting the Mane Six… Of course, since I am here with knowledge about things that haven’t happened yet, I could affect the course of events, but should I? When you add in the effects of Greed and Need, I wonder…’ As he walked towards the crater wall, Drake wondered if he could control his Greed. Cut it on and off as he needed to use it while maintaining his current levels of mental acuity. After a long internal debate Drake decided that the possibility likely existed, but the risk of losing his mind to Greed was too great to remain in Equestria. Chances were high any experiment could end in a rampage, and any rampage would likely end in his death.

‘If I am going to get control of this Greed stuff I need to one: get out of Equestria, and two: find someone to help me…but who?’ While pondering who might be able to help him, Drake reached the crater wall and discovered that it was too steep for him to climb.

‘Looks like I need to learn how to do a proper take-off rather than that jump start I did today.’ Rather than start right then Drake, noticing the sun was finishing its decent, decided to bed down for the night. Drake found an overhang along the crater wall that he could fit comfortably under and quickly fell asleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

“Huzzah! This is awesome!” Drake yelled finally taking flight after several hours of crashes and flailing about during which he earned a new collection of bruises and busted scales. Drake unsteadily winged his way out of the volcano and landed at the top of the crater’s lip, basking in the radiance of his first flight. When he looked down the side of the volcano he saw a small purple and green dragon with a checkered bindle stick running towards the lip he was resting on, eager as can be.

‘And we find someone who was in the full grasp of Greed with nothing to restrain him, and yet ultimately regained control of himself. Someone who wants to know what it is to be a dragon. Spike my friend I believe I can help you,’ Drake though grinning fiendishly as he put his newly formulated plan into action.

Drake settled in near the rim of the crater, pretending to be asleep, but watching as Spike ran up the volcano. When Spike finally reached the top panting, trying to catch his breath as he took in the sights before him, Drake spoke up.

“Hello, who’s this now?” Drake said, raising his head from his crossed arms and giving Spike a quizzical look.

“Huh, oh hi,” Spike panted caught off guard by Drake. “Well you see I’m on a quest of discovery to learn my heritage, learn what it means to be a real dragon.”

“What are you saying? ‘Learn what is means to be a real dragon, you are a dragon are you not?” Drake asked, exaggerating his movements as he looked Spike over as if seeking some sign that he wasn’t a dragon.

“The thing is… You see… Um…” Spike stuttered not sure if he should tell this stranger about himself.

“Are you a newt? A lizard? A Catamawhoppous?” Drake asked, trying to get Spike to say what he needed to be able to steer him away from the crater and onto the path Drake wanted for him.

“A what? No, I am a dragon. It just that I was just raised in Ponyville, by ponies,” Spike replied, having decided there was no need to fear the stranger before him.

“And you think that the dragons down there will help you learn what it means to be a dragon rather than what is means to be a pony?” Drake sneered.

“Well yeah why wouldn’t they, heck some even look my age.” Spike said pointing to the group Drake a fought the previous day.

“I can give you several very good reasons why not to go down there. Firstly, I’m guessing you’re what seven or eight years old-“

“I’m sixteen,” Spike corrected angrily serious, why did everypony always treat him like you was a baby. Twilight’d reassured him, repeatedly that he just needed to wait for a growth spurt.

“Oh then reason one: your age group in there is obnoxious, unhelpful, twice your size, and busy nursing wounds to body and pride.”

“What?!” Spike said at once surprised and, he wasn’t sure but possibly insulted.

“And reason two: for a sixteen year old dragon you are puny, weak, and unintimidating.”

“Hey!” Spike squawked angrily now sure he was being insulted.

Drake ignored him and continued onward. “Three: you hail from Ponyville. Do you really think that these dragons are going to accept you, a shrimp raised by nambe-pambe ponies?”

“Don’t you dare insult my friends!” Spike barked, angry the first dragon he’d ever talked to was bashing him, his friends, and his home.

“Lastly: I can teach you everything they know, and things no other dragon does, without those prejudices.” Drake then rose and began walking away, hoping Spike would take the baited hook dangling before him.

“Wait, you’re going to insult me then offer to teach me everything I want to know? Just what kind of game are you playing?” Spike called out, running to get in front of Drake.

“Yes, yes I am.” Drake replied, stepping around Spike and continuing around the mountain.

“What’s the catch? Why would you make this kind of offer after warning me that the other dragons would mistreat me?” Spike asked, suspicious of this shady character that was drawing him in with each passing moment.

“Like I said, I don’t have the same prejudices the other dragons have. Like you, I was not born or raise among them. I would be happy to teach you what it means to be a dragon, a true dragon, a majestic, powerful and respected creature. Of course there is a catch, something in it for me. Nothing in the world is free after all” Drake said smiling.

“So you can teach me what it means to be a dragon?” Spike asked, fiddling the hobo stick in his hands.

“Indeed I shall teach you what it means to be majestic, noble, powerful, respected, and even how to control your Greed.”

“My Greed can be controlled…?” a stunned Spike asked, taking a moment to consider some of the implications

“You’ve done it before; don’t you remember? Day after your birthday, you went wild then came back for Rarity.”

“How do you know about that?! Have you been spying on me?!”

Drake smirked. “Come with me and find out, or go home and wonder forever what could have been.”

After a few moments thought Spike had made his decision. “Okay, I will come with you. Give me a moment to take care of some business.”

“Sure, when you get done just hop on my back and we will set off.”

Spike, now confused, curious, scared and a bit excited, ran off to relieve himself. As Drake waited, he saw an eight legged, bejeweled abomination of a dragon costume coming up the mountain. When the costumed Spike stalkers reached him, Drake couldn’t resist messing with them for coming after Spike. Especially when they’d promised to let him go on his own. Seriously, what kind of friends doesn’t let someone go on a potentially fatal journey of self-discovery on their own? That’s the whole point.

“Good afternoon ladies, that’s a wonderful dragon costume you have there. Why, ya’ll look just like Crackle. I hope you enjoy your stay here at Layover Crater, although in your case I suggest you stay out of the pool.” Drake looked Twilight in the eye and snapped his jaw shut just an inch from her face. Twilight wanted to scream, to run, the wet herself, but did none of these things. Rather, she was petrified by her fear and sat there her eyes locked with Drake’s. As he was staring her down, Spike returned and hopped onto his back.

“Okay I am ready to go. Oh hey, who you talking to?”

“No one important,” Drake replied as he began pumping his wings. “Hold on tight, this is only my third time flying.”

“What!? This is only your--” Spike screamed as Drake achieved lift off and flew towards to north-west.

Meanwhile, on the ground inside a dragon costume, three very scared mares were just recovering from what they believed to be a near death experience.

“Are you girls okay?” Twilight Sparkle asked. Her life finished flashing before her eyes.

“Yeah I’m all good, although I told you this disguise wouldn’t fool anyone,” Rainbow Dash replied, her bravado quickly returning.

“I’m fine Twilight. And Rainbow, he said that we look just like Crackle, so it can’t be that bad a costume,” Rarity retorted.

“Yeah? Then how did he know who we were, little miss glitter pants?”

Before Rarity could reply, Twilight had a stunning realization. “Did you girls see Spike on his back when he took off?”

“Now that you mention it,” Rainbow said, realizing she had indeed heard Spike’s voice.

“Oh dear, Spikey-wikey is with that cruel dragon,” Rarity said, her voice trembling as if she was about to go into hysterics. She ripped the costume off the trio and said in a commanding voice, “Quickly Rainbow, after them!”

“Right,” Rainbow saluted before taking off…and crashing into a dragon flying overhead.

Upon seeing Rainbow’s collision, Twilight noticed a large number of dragons closing in on them. They’d evidently been drawn by the sounds of Rarity’s yelling and were more than happy to partake of a pony buffet. Twilight screamed the only logical thing that came to mind, “Run!”

Author's Note:

And there you have it Chapter Three what will become of Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow. Will Drake and Spike be able to master their greed, what lies beyond the borders of Equestria, Keep reading to find out.

Oh, hey there hi there ho there, chapter 3 has joined the ranks of the revised chapters.

PreviousChapters Next