• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,412 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,412

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Barter

Chapter 27: Barter

Fluttershy had finally gotten her animals calmed down from Drake’s surprise roaring when Zecora came by. After making them both some tea, and using some market bought cookies as a snack, the two sat across from each other, slowly drinking tea waiting for one of them to break the silence. This, of course, only served to silence the shy pony until she finally managed to gather a small amount of courage.

“Um, Zecora... Not that I mind, b-but… Uhm.. why-what are you doing here? It can’t be for something as simple a-as midnight tea, can it? I-it’s okay if it is though, I don’t mind really, It’s…. Nice… It’s just that midnight tea isn’t something that I am used to... And walking through the E-everfree at night is so dangerous... And risky... And terrifying,” Fluttershy said, growing more nervous with each adjective. Zecora smiled reassuringly and set her tea cup down as Angel hopped up next to Fluttershy, comforting her.

“The dragons roar made all their hearts shake, for me there was no need to quake. Still, it woke me from peaceful slumber, the cause of this I intend to uncover. When he returns from this night’s quest, he’ll answer my questions if he knows what’s best,” She said taking the teacup back up.

“You think he is coming back?” Fluttershy asked.

Without a word Zecora stood and walked outside directing Fluttershy to a place in her roof where the straw had been moved.

“Something precious of his lies here. To it his heart will steer.”

“Oh. Should we move it somewhere safer?”

“Unless you wish to smash the creature hidden in the straw, there is no need to make a withdrawl,” Zecora said. After a moment of silence the two returned inside.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Unlike Fluttershy’s cottage, Ponyville remained in a state of panic after Drake’s departure. Instead of calming down, they started demanding answers from Spike, Twilight, and Mayor Mare, who continued directing questions back at the other two. Spike did his best to deal with the growing hostility. Trying hard to reassure everypony that Drake wasn’t going to hurt them. Twilight found herself trying to justify his presence in the town despite her own anger at him earlier that day. It was in the midst of this that Princess Luna teleported in along with eighty of the royal guard.

Taking a moment to compose herself after the teleport, Princess Luna sought out Twilight as her troops likewise oriented themselves and fanned out in squads of five to establish a perimeter and keep their princess safe. Twilight breathed a sigh of relief once the flash of the teleport cleared, the crowd thankfully silent at the arrival of a force geared for combat.

“Princess Luna, thank you for coming so quickly,” Twilight said, bowing down before the mare of night.

“Rise Twilight Sparkle, you mentioned that Drake was in here this night. Please take us to him,” Princess Luna said, scanning the area noting the town’s ponies looking at her and the guard with respect and relief. Before Twilight could reply, Mayor Mare cut in.

“Princess Luna, your presence is most welcome. Earlier this evening a large dragon took to the sky over by the Everfree forest. Its roars of rage waking the whole town. Is there something you can do for us? Even now, after its passing, we fear to sleep, the thought he might return and turn on us keeps even the most fatigued from seeking the restorative embrace of their beds,” Mayor Mare said, sweeping her foreleg over the gathered ponies and making special note of the bags under their eyes and the scared eyes glancing towards the sky.

“Citizens of Ponyville, return to thy beds. We swear unto thou that no harm shall befall anypony this night! ” Princess Luna said addressing the crowd. “Major Shield, please have the guard escort everypony home and report to me once they are all accounted for.” She said addressing the deep grey unicorn guard, with a chess knight and shield cutie mark, mane and tail, both cut short and amber is color and a wicked sword shaped like a waning moon sheathed on his side, who stood near her.

“At once Princess,” Major Shield said turning and barking out orders the four ponies near him who relayed it to the rest of the guard. Sixteen teams of five fanned out, ensuring their Princess’ orders were carried out.

As the guard went to work, Princess Luna focused on the pony whose message brought her to Ponyville. “Twilight Sparkle, what happened? You mentioned Drake causing a commotion, but he is not here now. Where is he?”

“We don’t know Princess. Like Mayor Mare said, he woke the whole town with his roars, then flew off. I sent the message because I hoped you would be able to find him and whatever had set him off,” Twilight said.

“That is most unfortunate,” Princess Luna said with a sigh. “Twilight Sparkle, do you know where he will return to, if he is to return to Ponyville? It is important that we speak with him. There have been a revelation and warning this night and they both involve him.”

“What kind of revelations and warnings?” Spike asked.

“Spike the Dragon, you have traveled with the one that brings all this night’s troubles, correct? Perhaps you can shed some light on what we were told,” Princess Luna said, recalling a briefing about how Twilight Sparkle’s assistant had traveled with Drake for quite some time.

“I was with Drake for the past several months Princess. What do you need help with?” Spike said uneasily.

“Allow me to show you,” Princess Luna said using her magic to replay the early encounter with the harpy. Spike and Twilight watched as Cynthia relayed her messages. Luna noted a slow burning anger that built in Spike’s eye when the foul creature relayed her first message. She also noted the look of confusion, disgust, and curiosity that Twilight wore, her expressions changing from one to the next like a moving picture.

“What did she mean librarian, team, diggers, and why would Drake be able to tell you what happened to the changelings,” Twilight asked very little having made sense to her.

“Don’t worry about it right now Twilight.” Spike said fighting against himself to keep his voice calm digging into the ground with his claws. Clenching and unclenching his fist.

“Princess, I can tell you everything you want to know about that first message, but it isn’t my place. I made promises to Drake that I have kept thus far. He should be the one to tell you. With regards to the changelings, Drakes arrival a few days ago, crashing into the library here, badly injured. He’s been staying out at Fluttershy’s cabin since. Though he wasn’t there when we went to find him earlier this evening, I imagine that is where we will find him, unless you know the location of a pair of innovation inclined unicorns...” Spike said, looking Princess Luna directly in the eye.

“We know much already. We know he seeks to rebuild something in the Wildlands, we have met and spoken with the two thou speaks of. We helped him prepare to kill the changeling queen, and sent ponies to ensure the deed was done. We know of the fallen empire, and the magic of word, blood and souls it used. Now tell us what you know!” Princess Luna said not willing to play around after what had already happened that night.

“What do you mean you helped him prepare to face Chrysalis? Is that why my magic couldn’t affect him?” Twilight asked, breaking tense mood with her curiosity. “Actually, now that I think about it, there were rumors that you two were going off together each night while Drake was in Canterlot. Was that part of the preparation?” Despite her questions Princess Luna and Spike stayed looked in a staring contest until Major Shields interrupted it.

“LUNA, the locals are in their homes. You going to cast a sleep spell or do you think that strange pink mare that had a glasses of warm milk waiting outside everyone’s house has it covered,” he said, a smirk on his face.

“Major Shield that is not that proper way to address-“

“I tried calling you by your title three times Ma’am, seemed like you needed something jarring to distract you from your date there,” Major Shield said, unflinching before Luna’s gaze.

“Major we will have a talk after this is done, and no that is not the dragon we have come to meet. These two will be our guides to where we might meet our target, but alas you are correct. Twilight Sparkle I suggest you shield yourself and your assistant from what is to come.” Princess Luna said, taking to the air and flying over Ponyville, singing a soft melody that carried to all parts of the town, and casting a complex but gentle spell upon all its inhabitants.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Each wingbeat sent new waves of agony through Drake’s arms. His right was still broken, any healing having been undone when he used it to swat the Diamond Dogs. His left was bleeding from stab wounds created by spears and grappling hooks the mutts had used to dig into his exposed skin. Off to his right side Rainbow Dash glided alongside not complaining about the slow place as she considered Drake’s question.

As the pair approached Ponyville, ten armor clad ponies with spears took up positions around the pair. Without a word they guided them down for a landing. Since they seemed to be leading to Fluttershy’s cabin, Drake went along with them.

Drake watched as Rainbow talked animatedly with one of the lead guard before shooting away towards Fluttershy’s. After several more painful minute, the cabin came into view. As they came in for a landing Drake saw the guards were arranged in a standoff against a duo of ponies, with Spike between the two groups. Once they landed, Drake hovering for a moment so as to avoid touching down on his broken arm, Drake saw that Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were staring down Princess Luna, Twilight, and a large group of guards. Spike and Rainbow were in the middle trying to talk both groups down, while Zecora sat on the sidelines.

“Fluttershy just give Princess Luna the bag, I promise nothing is going to happen to it, right Princess,” Spike said as Drake touched down.

“If that bag contains what Zecora said it contains you must understand the threat it poses,” Princess Luna said.

“I could just take it,” a gray unicorn said stepping forward.

“What is going on here,” Drake asked, seeing Fluttershy cowering behind Pinkie Pie with the bag that held the changeling egg in her arms. As all eyes turned to him, Pinkie jumped at him wrapping her arms around his neck and whispering in his ear.

“It will be okay, you will get him back. Don’t take you anger out on the ponies here just because it hurts now.” Drake frowned confused by how she already knew about what happened, then face palmed when he remembered who was speaking. He then cringed in pain and fell over having used his broken arm.

“Thank you Pinkie. I wont, but that doesn’t explain why Fluttershy looks like she is about to get lynched,” Drake said.

“Drake, it is good to see you well. Now please have Fluttershy give us that bag. You more than anyone should understand the threat posed by a changeling queen,”

Princess Luna said pulling Pinkie away from him. A loud thunk caused Drake to look out and see the crowd arranged before him. The unicorn had drawn a wicked looking sword, but also seemed to be keeping Twilight behind a green barrier. Twilight was rubbing her head, the likely source of the thunk. Rainbow was talking to Fluttershy and the rest of the guard had formed a semicircle around the yard.

“Princess Luna, not that it isn’t wonderful to see you again, but what are you doing here,” Drake asked.

“She is here because you woke the whole town earlier this evening. Is that changeling that was messing with my head? Why do you have a changeling egg? Explain yourself!” Twilight said yelling from where she was being kept. “Major Shield, why are you protecting him? Let me at him.”

“I see she still hasn’t calmed down,” Drake grumbled before turning his attention back to the Princess. “Alright. Fluttershy, please give me the bag.” Fluttershy just shivered glancing at Rainbow for reassurance, the confidence she had when Pinkie had handed her the egg, right before the guard arrived, wilting with each passing moment.

“Go ahead, if Drake really has been taking care of it you don’t think he’s going to let anything happen to it do you,” Rainbow said, smiling at her terrified friend.

“Okay,” Fluttershy said in a whisper, walking to over Drake slowly and giving him the bag. When she saw how badly he was hurt she gasped and dashed away to get her first aid kit, again.

“Thank you,” Drake said, taking the bag into his scaleless hand. “Now Princess Luna, as you can see I am in no condition to fight. That said I will die before I turn this over to anyone. Now please answer my question. Why are you here?”

“Dragon if you have a death wish I can arrange to have it fulfilled.” Major Shield said only to be waved down by Princess Luna.

“Hold on a moment Major, we still hope this can be resolved peacefully,” Princess Luna said, summoning her scythe. “If not, then have no worries, we will let you have your fun.”

Major Shields grunted and went back the watching Twilight as he motioned for the rest of the guard to stand at ease. Drake blanched as Luna gave her scythe a few test swings.

“We are here for two reason. Firstly because a harpy came into the throne room this evening telling me interesting things, like how if we wanted to know what happened to the changelings we would come seeking you. Behold the monster spoke true, you have in your possession a changeling egg giving off a very strong magical aura. Would we be remiss in assuming that it will hatch into the new changeling queen?” Princess Luna said as Fluttershy returned and Zecora approached beginning to bandage him. Drake said nothing but nodded. Recalling how Luna had helped him prepare to face Chrysalis, Drake realized he was a little be afraid of her right then. Okay he admitted to himself, he was a lot afraid.

“The second reason is to pass on a message for you from said harpy. Seeing as our guards do not know what happened when you battled Chrysalis, but you now holds her successor and you do not know what the harpy told us we propose a trade. Tell us of what happened there and we will tell you the message,” Princess Luna said as Drake flinched from the rubbing alcohol that was applied to his wounds.

“And my egg?” Drake asked, looking Luna in the eye.

“We will decide once you have told us what happened, and all that you have done in the Wildlands. Once we deliver the message, we believe that you will have no problem agreeing to this,” Princess Luna said, smirking.

“Fine, but can it wait till morning. I have suffered deeply this night, and, as you can see, I am badly injured. The egg however stays with me,” Drake said, waiting for Luna’s reply.

“Princess you can’t seriously be considering leaving the egg with him,” Twilight said caught between angry and intrigued.

“I have to agree with the crazy mare Princess, but since you don’t want to fight him, and he won’t give up the egg I propose we post a guard with him, on a rotation so that we can keep them at high alert for the whole watch,” Major Shield said, offering a fair compromise.

“An excellent suggestion Major. Drake know that if you take any action against your word we shall hunt you down and make you pay,” Princess Luna said, walking back toward Ponyville. “Twilight Sparkle, we shall be staying in your home. Once the sun rises, our sister will be joining us. Please ensure that there is breakfast ready for her. She tends to like bananas.”

Princess Luna and Twilight left, the latter racing back to her home to prepare it for the coming morning. Pinkie stayed, having been quiet throughout the exchange. She sat down next to Drake resting a hoof on his neck. The guard took a moment to organize itself into rotations before most of them left to find lodging in Ponyville, Pinkie taking a moment to offer up Sugarcube Corner to them.

“Drake, what happened? Where did you go? Why were you using Greed? Are those new injuries, and why do you have a changeling egg?” Spike asked once most everyone else had cleared out.

“In reverse order, you will find out tomorrow, yes, because Flim and Flam were in trouble, to help them, and they were attacked by Diamond Dogs,” Drake said.

“Attacked by Diamond Dogs! Where?” Spike asked angrily.

“In Equestria, a few hours south east of here. That is why I used greed, to be able to reach them in time. Not that it mattered. Spike, Flam was captured. The Diamond Dogs got Flam.” Drake said, his voice breaking and tears forming in his eyes. Pinkie glared a Spike for a moment then continued comforting Drake as best she could.

“Drake, I’m sorry I wasn’t there to help, Twilight wouldn’t let me go after you.” Spike said hanging his head.

“I don’t blame you Spike, or her, believe it or not.” Drake said.

“Drake before I go, the message from the harpy-“

“Not another word. He can find out tomorrow from the Princess,” Major Shields said as he walked up. “Well dragon, I am the leader of your first watch. Don’t do anything stupid and we’ll get along fine.”

“I’ll be going. See you tomorrow,” Spike said flying back into Ponyville.

Zecora and Fluttershy finished dressing Drake’s wounds they returned to their beds but not before admonished Drake for destroying his bandages, and warning him that if he did it again there would be serious consequences. Pinkie eventually left as well, saying that even she needed some sleep before the morning came and offering the major free food for the soldiers on watch if they came by in the morning.

This left Drake with the guards assigned to him. Though tired Drake wasn’t ready to sleep, fear of nightmares and the egg being stolen kept him awake.

“Major Shields, since we are stuck with each other why don’t you tell me about yourself?” Drake said hoping to establish a cordial relationship with the ponies watching him.

“Why not, we have time till the next rotation. My name is Divine Shield, I come from a military family. Both my grandparents and my father served in the guard,” Divine Shield said. The two of the talked for several hours. Drake learned much about how the Equestrian guard as structured and told Major Shields everything he felt comfortable about his own battles and goal. Eventually fatigue overcame fear and sleep embraced Drake.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

First off I would like to thank TDR for the use of his character. He is a great author and if you haven't read his stories check them out on his page here: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/TDR

Secondly I would like to thank my editors Alfamaxis and Ineffective One.

So this chapter has taken a long time to get out. Here is one of the biggest reasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IW0dk3TvQ4&feature=youtu.be

The next chapter won't be out for a little while, but once it is the Ponyville act will be done the the story moving forward beyond it again.

PreviousChapters Next