• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,341 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,341

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 20: Bro Road Trip

Chapter 20: Bro Road Trip

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
― Ernest Hemingway

The day Drake and Spike left Forum, Epistasies took Flim and Flam to the experiment chamber he had mentioned. Located on the second level basement, its door was a large stone wheel held in place by a system of metal rods capable of withstanding incredible amounts of pressure. On the wall next to the door was a stone console with various crystals embedded and runes carved into it.

“Here we are gentlemen. Inside you should find interface runes carved into the floor. This chamber is capable of supporting five casters so make sure to stand in the right spots, it should be obvious where to stand. Once you are in place, channel some of your magic into the interface. Once you are connected to the system you’ll be able to communicate with me. Just say ‘Testing 1, 2, 3’ when you’re ready. We’ll continue from there.” Epistaties explained as he touched a crystal which caused the rods to slide into the wall and the door to roll back.

“A-are you sure this will still work?” Flam asked nervously.

“Yeah, it’s been a long time since it was last used.” Flim said skeptically, sharing a glance with his brother.

“Of course, but we are going to take this slow and make sure everything is working properly before we try the scrying.” Epistaties said patiently, confident in his library and its enchantments.

The brothers nodded and then stepped into the chamber. The chamber itself was a large sphere, dipping down some from the entrance. Inside, Flim and Flam saw five small platforms arranged around the center. Figuring they were what Epistaties had talked about, they headed towards them as the door closed behind them. From the walls and ceiling, some pale light, generated from small crystals, lit the chamber. Once they reached the platforms, they saw the intricate runes carved into the floor. Taking positions on different platforms Flim and Flam prepared to work their magic.

“Ready brother?” Flim asked

“As I’ll ever be.” Flam answered. Together they began to channel their magic towards the rune, using to same technique they used to power their vehicle. At first nothing happened, then they both felt a surge of power. For a moment, they struggled to cope with the surge. The energy flowing from the chamber into their spell was far greater than they expected, as power flowed unabated they began screaming.

Outside the chamber Epistaties heard their screams and flew into action. Twisting crystals, flipping switches and doing everything he could to reduce to energy the twins were receiving. “Come on, come on, come on.” He muttered to himself. After a few frantic moments, the screaming finally stopped.

“Flim, Flam, can you hear me? Are you alright?” Epistaties asked, hoping the screams stopped because he had succeeded instead of the other options.

“Yeah, we are still here. What happened?” Flam grunted out.

“There was something wrong with the settings, my apologies, I forgot to make sure it was properly calibrated on my end.” Epistaties said embarrassed.

Inside the chamber Flam pushed himself off his knees and looked over to Flim. “Oh, that’s comforting, is it going to happen again?”

“No, everything should be good now, is Flim alright?” Epistaties voice came through the concern and regret clear in it.

“I’m still here.” Flim said standing slowly with a cough, a wisp of smoke coming out of his mouth. “Let’s not do that again.”

“Agreed.” Flam said, shaking his head to clear it. “Now, let’s find us an emperor.” Flim grunted his agreement. Combining their magic was standard practice for them, and it took only a moment. Flam took over weaving the body of the spell and guiding it, while Flim managed its shape, details, and power flow. Together they pour their full power into the spell, along with the power that was currently flowing from the chamber into them.

Even once they poured everything available to them into the spell, they were still unable to detect the heir. “Go ahead and start giving us more power Epistaties.” Flim called out. Preparing himself for the coming flux of energy.

“Understood, I will increase the flow slowly.” Epistaties replied as the energy flow increased. Flam noticed none of this. Before his eyes, the whole of the world was spreading out every plain and mountain, every nook and cranny. Across it all he searched, looking for the one he was scrying. The spell was made more complicated by the fact he was trying to use old enchantments to find someone generations removed from the person the enchantments were connected to. As more power flowed in, his vision expanded even further, now reaching to the nearest edges of Equestria. Still he couldn’t sense the heir.

“More.” He said is voice echoing in the chamber amplified by the magic coursing through him.

“More, Epistaties.” Flim repeated through clenched teeth, the power pushing his limits of control.

“I can’t give you more, the console is showing some dangerous fluctuation in there. If I give you much more the results could be catastrophic.” Epistaties replied.

“We. Can. Take. It! Drake needs us to find this heir, and we are going to find him!” Flim replied.

“So close, just a little more.” Flams voice echoed again he could feel something, just on the edge, a little bit further away.

“Very well.” Epistaties sighed reluctantly allowing more power into the chamber.

Flam’s vision grew, reaching to Canterlot, easily covering half of Equestria and much of the lands outside. In the West he saw a great rift filled with life, to the North mountains, and plains, Griffins and Minotaur eking out a living beset by beast and misfortune, To the South dry grass lands and desert, bison and zebra, all before his eyes, yet nowhere to be found, the heir.

With one more burst of magic, a face, a face he knew appeared before his eye, but before he could get a fix on the location the spell shattered. Flim collapsed, the magical energies beyond his ability to control. As he faded from consciousness the magic arced and jumped through the chamber. Flam was hit dead center by a bolt, crying out as the energy laced through his body, before the discharge exploded from his horn filling the chamber with smoke.

Outside Epistaties reacted quickly but calmly, using the emergency shutdown procedures he cut the flow of magic, and as soon as the discharge ended, opened the door. Entering the chamber and dispelling the smoke as best he could Epistaties found the twins unconscious on the ground, black scorch marks marring their fur, Flams horn was cracked, but still whole. Swearing under his breath, Epistaties dragged the brothers out of the chamber and up to the main floor passing them off to the first griffins he found.

“Dammit, I shouldn’t have done that. I should’ve shut it off sooner.” Epistaties muttered once the brothers were in the care of the griffins, “I hope this was worth it.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

The next evening Flim and Flam awoke in the makeshift clinic the griffins had put together in one of the larger study rooms. Flim woke first. Looking around with his one good eye; he saw a curtain on his left and wall on his right. In front of him was Epistaties sitting across from him, asleep. Rolling out of the bed and rising to his feet Flim walked over to Epistaties. Slowly he brought a hoof up to the snoring minotaur and gave him a soft poke saying, “Hey Epistaties, wake up.”
Epistaties woke with a start. Shaking off the sleep, he turned to see what had woken him.

“Oh Flim, you’re awake. Thank the First Born. How are you feeling?” Epistaties said with a relieved sigh.

“I’m a little sore, but otherwise okay. What happened? where’s Flam?” Flim asked worried about his brother.

“Flim, you lost control of the spell. There was backlash, it was bad. You both passed out. I carried you to the main floor to here, and the griffins took it from there.” Epistaties said calmly laying a hand on Flim’s shoulders. “Flams horn is cracked, but whole. It should heal fine.” He added quickly when he saw Flim’s horrified look. “He is in the bed next to yours, right there.” Epistaties said pointing to bed on the other side of the curtain. Flim whirled around and galloped over to his brother. Flam was still asleep his horn wrapped tightly in bandages, his face contorted in pain.

“How long have I been out?”

“About a day, it evening now. Swiftwing wanted to meet with you when you woke, but I believe we should wait to see if your brother
succeeded before doing so.” Epistaties said, standing and walking towards the door. “I will bring you some food, don’t overexert yourself.”
Flim nodded and sat near his brother’s bed, a short time later Epistaties returned and set down a tray with hay and some vegetables on the end table. With mumbled thanks, Flim slowly ate the food. Epistaties left after dropping off the food, claiming he had other work to do.

Several hours later, after Flim had fallen asleep, Flam finally awoke.

“Son of a Nag, that hurts!” Flam groaned when he rejoined the ranks of the waking. He raised a hoof to his horn, the source of his worst pain, and felt the bandages wrapped around it. Surprised he jerked up and quickly regretted it, as a surge of pain forced him to settle back into the bed. His sudden movement caused Flim to jerk awake.

“Brother, you’re okay!” He exclaimed as he stood up.

“I’m not sure about that, Celestia do I hurt.” Flam said wincing

“Be careful, Epistaties said the spell collapsed on us then backlashed. Your… well your horn is cracked…” Flim said softly doing his best not to scare his brother.

“My… My horn…” Flam whimpered starting to tear up. If his horn was cracked then… then… he didn’t even want to think about it.

“It’s going to be okay. It’ll heal.” Flim said reassuringly hugging Flam as he cried. They stayed there like that, until the sound of someone clearing their throat brought them out of it.

“I am glad to see you awake Flam.” Epistaties said standing at the foot of the bed. “Are you feeling well enough to walk?”

“I think so.” Flam said sniffling. Flim stood ready to catch his brother as Flam got onto his feet. “Yeah, I’m good. What do you need Epistaties?”

“Come with me both of you, Swiftwing and Eagle-eye want to speak with you.” Epistaties said motioning for them to follow as he began walking out the room and down the hallway.

As they got closer to the same meeting room they had met with Drake in before he left, Epistaties stopped them. “Flam before we go in there, did you find the heir? Everything that comes next depends on if you did or didn’t before the spell failed.”

“I didn’t find him, but I know who it is.” Flam answered slowly thinking back to what he had seen. “I can tell you right now it isn’t going to be easy.”

“Who? Is it someone I know?” Flim asked curious as to who Flam had seen.

“Remember that minotaur we ran into in Baltimare?”

“You don’t mean…”

“Yep, he was the one I saw.” Flam said. “Epistaties, if we do get this guy here, I am not sure he is going to be willing to pass off control, but I suppose that we will cross that bridge when we come to it.” With a sigh Flam walked on, heading into the room. With a shake of his head, Flim followed, leaving a very confused Epistaties in the hallway.

In the room Swiftwing and Eagle-eye waiting on one side of the table glancing at a map then scribbling notes on some parchment they had with them. They looked up and smiled when Flam entered. Once everyone was around the table they got down to brass tax.

“Alright, Flam, Flim,” Eagle-eye started with a nod. “Let me start by saying we are glad to see you both up and moving. Now, do you have a target? Do you where you are going once we get you to Equestria?”

“I know who I am looking for, but not where he will be. That said, I believe I know how to find him.” Flam said, giving Flim a knowing look.

“Excellent, then the next question; how are you planning to get to Equestria? And how long do you expect it to take?” Swiftwing asked.

“That depends, how many griffins are you planning to send with us?” Flim asked.

“Six, so how do you plan to travel?”

“Brother…” Flam said softly, turning to face Flim.

“I can do it, at least that far.” He answered in a whispered, before speaking to everyone. “We will take our vehicle. It’s been upgraded so we will be able to travel at full speed the whole way. Half the griffins will fly over watch, while the others will rest onboard. We will go non-stop to Equestria.”

“Are you sure? If I understand how your vehicle works, then with Flams injury that means you will have to provide the power the entire time.” Epistaties said drawing all eyes to him.

“I can do it.” Flim said confidently.

“I’m not sure.” Swiftwing said.

“What happens if you can’t? Then you will be stranded, and so will our griffins, in hostile lands with no support.” Eagle Eye said angrily.

“I can do it.” Flim said, conviction steeling his voice. “I said I can do it and I will. Trust me.” Flim looked each in the eyes as he spoke. He felt guilty for what had happened to his brother, if the spell failed, then it was because he wasn’t able to control it; he had failed. His brother was hurt because of his failure. Their best chance was to travel fast, and the new Super Speedy Tank 7000 would serve them well once they reached Equestria, without it they wouldn’t be able to transport Drake’s scale or any of the materials they hoped to gather.

“If you are sure-” Swiftwing started before being interrupted.

“I’m sure. What else do we need to talk about?” Flim said, hoping to move the conversation along.

“The patch is ready, I can apply it whenever everyone is ready to leave. Just let me know what time.” Epistaties said ending his one part in the discussion.

“Who will be coming with us?” Flam asked, his mind still foggy from the pain. Right now he really wanted to lay back down and rest.

“Jekyll will be leading one team under him will be Preen and Striker. Kestrel will be leading team two with Aeris and Ace under him.” Swiftwing said, reading the names of the list she had sitting in front of her.

“Supplies? Anything you want us to try and sell for you or buy for you while we are in Equestria?” Flim asked

“Supplies for the journey will be gathered tonight and will be ready to load in the morning. Anything we want sold will be marked as such, I will get a list of things we need to you buy in the morning.” Eagle-eye said after a quick discussion with Swiftwing.

Everyone in the room nodded in agreement, the meeting was done. “I need to go lie down, I’ll see everyone in the morning.” Flam said, leaving as the first.

“I’m going to check on Super Speedy Tank 7000, I’ll probably sleep there tonight if anyone needs me.” Flim said leaving.

“Caretaker, we have to go ensure our people are prepared and put together the goods and the list. See you in the morning.” Eagle Eye said as he and Swiftwing left.

Epistaties stood alone in the room leaning on his staff and thinking. Well, it seems that things might just be quieting down for a little while. I hadn’t thought about it, but I suppose that I should check the treasury; if there is anything left, it might be of use to my new friends. Looks like having the Library double as the administrative center for Forum might be useful for once, and to think I argued endlessly to move all those functions away.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Flam woke the next morning feeling better, not great, but no longer in a fog of pain, rather just a cloudy day of pain, nothing he couldn’t handle. After stretching, he walked out of his bedroom, heading for the plaza in front of the library. As Flam got closer he began seeing griffins rushing to and fro through the air and on the ground. As he passed through the entryway and into the light, he found a large group clustered around the SST 7000, a newly built upgrade on the cider squeeze. They had removed all the cider making equipment, added bigger tires, armored the underside, enclosed the passenger space with windows in it so they could see where they were going, and, following Drake suggestions, headlights that could run as either white or red lights.

Flim saw him through the crowd and waved him over. “How are you feeling brother?”

“Better, is everything ready to go?” Flam asked while looking at the bundles loaded into, and strapped on, the SST 7000.

“Just waiting for the griffins to finish saying goodbyes.” Flim said, pointing to the groups of griffins around them. Flam looked at each group in turn. In one group he saw Preen talking with a griffin he recognized as the doctor, next to her was a bag with bandages and a stethoscope sticking out of it. The griffin he recognized as Jekyll was talking with an older pair that seemed reluctant to see him leave, tears forming in their eyes. He overhead another pair, with a fledgling between them, talking.

“We’ll be back soon Caelum, we promise. Don’t give your aunt and uncle too much trouble while we are gone.” Then the conversation became too quiet for him to hear. Another two were talking with a map between them one looked the same age as the parents, but the other looked much older, he had a wizened warrior look to him. As Flam continued to look around, Eagle-eye came up to him.

“Flam, it’s good to see you up, everything is loaded and Flim has a list of what we can use around here if you get a chance.” He said patting

Flam on the back, before leaning in close to him and whispering. “Are you sure about this? I know Flim is dead set, but you don’t have to do it until your horn is better. We can wait, and I’m sure Drake will understand.”

Flam thought for a moment, then shook his head. “No. Flim wants to, I think he even needs to do this, based on what he was saying yesterday. I trust him, he’s always dealt with the details anyway.”

“If you say so.” Eagle Eye said with a shrug, before finally walking off. Flam and Flim took a few minutes to look over the SST 7000, checking the suspension, drive systems, and their stores of essentials. The griffins finished their goodbyes and stood ready. At last Epistaties showed up.

“Good, everybody’s ready. But before you leave, I have a gift.” Epistaties said, signaling to someone behind him. A pair of griffins came out carrying four bulging bags that they set down before the SST 7000. Flam was the first to move, opened the bag nearest him, and promptly dropped his jaw to the floor. Stunned by his reaction everyone else took a look and reacted much the same. Inside were gems and gold coins with the likeness of a minotaur on them

“Epistaties, w-whe-where did all this come from?” Flim asked awestruck, falling onto his hindquarters when he looked over Flams shoulder.

“As you know, the Library is the center of Forum, and served many purposes. This comes from the treasury, the location of which will remain secret for now. Regardless I believe this should be most helpful in your endeavor.” Epistaties said before he began rifling through a sack at his side.

Flim and Flam recovered quickly, storing the sacks of gold and gems away. Once the last bag was stored Epistaties pulled a scroll out of his sack.

“Here it is.” He said unrolling and looking it over for a quick moment. “Good, good,” Epistaties muttered before speaking to everyone, “If you are all prepared, the patch is ready to be set.”

The twins and the griffins traveling with them shared one last look with those they were leaving behind, before all eyes turn to Flam, much to his surprise. Flam recovered and climbed onto the SST 7000 standing in the entryway. He looked at Epistaties and said, “We are ready, see you when we return.” Turning his look to the rest, he shouted. “Let’s hit the road!”

With that command Flam slipped into his spot as Flim climbed in and started the SST 7000, rolling towards the main gate. The two griffin teams took off, circling them as Epistaties worked his magic. When Epistaties finished, he signaled the griffins; one of whom knocked on the SST 7000’s armor. When Flim heard the knock he smiled and poured all his magic into the SST 7000 accelerating it down the cobblestone roads towards the wastes, and eventually towards Equestria as the griffins flew alongside.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Five days later Flim and Flam were stopped before a massive black dome that covered the entirety of gap in the mountains that separated Equestria and the Wildlands. They had first seen the dome the day before, surrounded by specks that flew around it and occasionally dived into it. Kestrel had been the first to identify them, harpies, thousands of them. That night the griffins had separated to find other griffin families from their clan and invite them to Forum. Flim had maintained the SST 7000’s speeds across the plains but was nearing his limit.

“What should we do Flam? We can’t wait here, the harpies will notice us soon, but we have no clue what is creating this dome.” Flim said as he tried to stifle a yawn. The five days without sleep were starting to wear on him, the only reason he was still awake was because of a plant the griffins had given him to chew on after the second day, when he almost passed out. Now he was almost out of the plant, they had to reach Equestrian soil soon, or they would be stranded until he had recovered.

Flam exited the SST 7000, walked up to the dome and touched it with his hoof. His hoof pass through the outside without any resistance. He instantly removed it to find frost forming on the edges. Strange, it’s as if no light, or warmth can pass through. Almost like a moonless winter night. Flam thought, trotting back to the SST 7000.

“Well? Can we go through it?” Flim asked tiredly as Flam took his seat and used his hoof to close the hatch.

“Should be, we put decent insulation in when we redesigned, but if we get stuck in there too long there’s a chance we will freeze to death.” Flam answered, getting comfortable back in his seat.

“Then let’s not be in there too long, we’ll go straight through, in one side and out the other. The built in lights will have to be enough to keep us from hitting anything or getting stuck.” Flim said as they began rolling forward once more, into the darkness of the dome.
Inside the darkness their lights did very little, to the brothers, it seemed as if the darkness was sucking it away, preventing the light from going more than a few meters. Within an hour, they were both shivering as the cold seeped into the SST 7000. Flim was beginning to nod off, the cold sapping what little energy he had left.

“Flim? Brother, don’t you dare fall asleep-,“ Flam was saying, as he nudged his brother, when they ran over something large enough to jostle them and create a thudding sound. “What was that?”

“Flam look, you need to see this.” Flim said shakily, suddenly much more awake. The frost covered ground was littered with frozen bodies. Upon closer inspection the brothers realized they were harpies. “Brother, I am ready to get out of here now.”

“Agreed, full power to the wheels.” The SST 7000 raced off, Flam called out directions to avoid the bodies, but the deeper they went the more littered the ground. Then after close to an hour, they started hearing thuds on the roof, followed by scratching sounds and screeches.

“Sisters, I’ve found something.” A shrill voice called out.

“What is it?” A second asked before the sound of talons gripping into wood came again.

“It’s warm, and I smell ponies and griffins about it.” A third called landing on top as well.

“Maybe there’s a warm body in there that wouldn’t mind our company.” The first said.

Flim and Flam shared a look a pure terror, without any urging Flim poured even more power into the SST 7000. Flam, deciding that anything would be better than letting the harpies catch them, tried to add what little energy he could fighting through the pain it caused. Off in the distance a pinprick of light, hugging the ground, stood out in the darkness.

“Flim, veer left!” Flam shouted giving up on using his broken horn.

“Are you sure?” Flim asked back panting struggling to continue moving the vehicle.

“YES!” Flam shouted eyes glued to the light hoping it might offer safety from the harpies and the cold. Flim nodded and changed course. The SST 7000 raced towards the light which grew larger and more distinct. The harpies clawing at the top squawked, attempting to maintain their hold, as the SST 7000 bounced over the uneven ground and frozen bodies.
The light had grown into a brilliant white beacon in the landscape yet was still dulled by the darkness. Unfortunately for the brothers, a short distance from the light, the SST 7000 pitched forward into a depression and crashed into the ground. Its wheels unable to find traction at the angle it was stuck, the brothers were stuck and sightless, as their viewport laid buried by dirt and snow.

Outside the vehicle, they heard more and more harpies converging on them, clawing at the walls of their vehicle. Flim, having hit his head in the crash, was out cold, no amount of yelling or prodding from Flam could wake him. Flam stood, as best as he could, in the tilted driver’s compartment turning with each new clang on the hull.

“Brother, no matters what happens, I promise you will not be taken by these foul beast.” Flam muttered covering Flim with a blanket and whatever else he could find. Here and there he saw holes beginning to open and widen across the SST 7000. One of the harpies managed to tear a hole large enough to look through and glanced into the vehicle.

“Oh, a big strong stallion to keep me warm.” She said, the combined efforts of her shrill voice and the cold causing Flam to shiver.

“You’ll not have me monster.” Flam said finding his voice. “I would rather face death than warm your feathers.” Flam bucked at the opening each time a harpy tried to reach through. Despite his best efforts the hole widened, and the cold continued to seep in. One harpy reached in and when Flam bucked he heard a shattering sounds. Glancing he was the claw he bucked had frozen solid and his own hooves were starting to become frostbitten.

For close to half an hour, Flam fought on, but he was losing. He fell to his knees, the cold having sapped the last of his strength. A claw gripped his tail and began pulling him towards the hole, which was now just barely big enough from him to fit through. A second and third claw joined the first, as he flailed ineffectually at the harpies that held him. Then, as he was being pulled through the hole, the pressure on his tail disappeared. He head sounds of battle, squawks and crying from the harpies, as well as grunts and war cries from ponies. The telltale feeling of magical discharge also filled the air. As Flam lost consciousness he heard a commanding voice call down from somewhere above him.

“Guardsponies! Check that vehicle, bring its occupants back to the fortress. I would like have some words with them.” With that, Flam passed from consciousness, a feeling of relief washing over him.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Hey again all. So first up, go reread the first chapter, that right I have started to rewrite the story. Each of the early chapters will be rewritten as the story goes in tandem with each new chapter.

Second I am going to be offline most of the summer, but I am going to try to knock out a lot of writing so when I come back I can put up some new chapters.

Third a special thanks to my editors as always, see names from previous chapter. Yes I am feeling that lazy write now, so what, exam's week sucks.

Fourth there is no fourth

Fifth Thank you as always for reading and I hope you have enjoyed this turn away from Drake to the Twins. Next chapter will cover what they did to survive and have them meet a new face, though not the heir. I know you know, at least you think you know, who it is, but the longer I can drag this out I will. Mwhahahahahahahaha. Okay I'll stop now.

PreviousChapters Next