• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 17,413 Views, 662 Comments

Drake's Empire - Pentel123



When a brony makes a wish to change the world it turns out a whole lot differently that he expected

  • ...
106
 662
 17,413

PreviousChapters Next
*Chapter 17: Pain

Chapter 17: Pain

“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― Welsey, The Princess Bride

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Canterlot, Drake was busy fighting the changelings, but had found out early into the battle that big claws had trouble hitting small, fast, and agile targets. Choosing to ignore the drones buzzing around him, Drake’s greed-addled mind turned towards its primary target, calling out her name.

“Chrysalis! Chrysalis! Where are you?!” Drake roared out, moving towards the castle. As he lumbered forward, he peered into every building along the way through open doors and windows, searching for his prey. Hearing her name, Chrysalis went out onto the chapel balcony to deal with Drake personally for interfering with her triumph. Before she could act, she was grabbed by Drake’s claws and carried off into the garden. Chrysalis struggled to free herself but encountered a…small problem.

“Oh what a cute little pony princess--just what I always wanted. I will name her Henry,” Drake said as he carried her into the gardens, squeezing her tightly.

“HENRY!?” Chrysalis yelled as Drake continued to talk while patting her head and occasionally spanking her, further preventing her from focusing her magic.

“I will hug her, and pet her, and squeeze her, and pat her, and pet her, and rub her, and caress her.” Drake continued, doing just what he said to Chrysalis, preventing her from striking back at him.

“PUT ME DOWN!” Chrysalis yelled out, growing frustrated as her army seemed incapable of stopping this rogue dragon, despite their best effort to free her.

“Okay,” Drake replied, much to her surprise. He suddenly shrank down to his normal size, holding onto Chrysalis with both hands, looking down at her. “Now I apologize for the harsh treatment but I had to let my baser side have its fun to get back in control.”

“FOAL!” Chrysalis yelled, taking the opportunity to charge a spell she was sure the now much smaller dragon would stand no chance against. “I shall destroy you for what you have done to me!” As her spell charged, changelings formed up around the duo, waiting for orders.

“Perhaps, but do you think you can take a face full of lighting at point blank?” Drake answered. As Chrysalis’s spell charged, Drake built up his lighting breath. He was careful to prevent it from releasing prematurely, while praying his gamble would pay off.

“No,” Chrysalis conceded reluctantly as she canceled her spell. “So what now? Why have you taken me? Why risk your life with this standoff?”

“You listen to what I have to say, then we both walk out of here.” Drake said, discharged his lightning into the sky, unintentionally striking some of the changelings that watched them.

“Speak quickly then. I have a conquest and husband to get back to.”

“We both know you don`t love the groom, but I suppose that isn’t important right now. The reason I grabbed you is because I am rebuilding something destroyed long ago, and find myself in need of allies. After you‘re defeated here today, I am sure you yourself will be in need of aid. I happen to be the only life form on this planet willing to help a creature like you--I just need you to tell me where to meet you after all this is over.” Drake smirked smugly at the end of his offer. Chrysalis found it absolutely hilarious.

Chrysalis started laughing, her volume building until it began to hurt Drake’s ears. It drove her soldiers away from the duo and make Drake’s ears bleed. “You think you can attack me, molest me, while spewing that drivel, turn around, ask for an alliance, claim I’ll be defeated, have the audacity to offer aid, and expect to simply walk away?! You are a funny little dragon. I was going to kill you. Instead I’m going to torture you until you beg for death,” Chrysalis said, breaking free of Drake’s grip and taking to the air, launching a green bolt at him. Drake tried to dive away from it, but his body was too big and the bolt too quick.

Drake landed hard on the ground as pain burned through his body. Pain like nothing he had ever felt before. It was as if every nerve was on fire and freezing at the same time. A dull throb and a sharp stab ripped through him simultaneously. As he tried to stand, Chrysalis landed on his back, forcing him to the ground once again before restraining Drake with her magic, planning to torture him until he broke.

Having neutralized Drake, Chrysalis sent her nearby minions to stop Spike and the bearers while she took her time educating Drake of her power. Again and again Chrysalis blasted him, increasing the pain, changing it with each blast, pushing Drake closer and closer to blacking out. With each blast Drake screamed.

Finally, once his throat was so dry and raw from his screams what came out was no more than a rasping whisper did she stop, letting him pass into the sweet void of unconsciousness. Chrysalis leaned down next to his bleeding ear and whispered, “Fool, this day is my triumph. To think you could defeat me is a sad joke--I could tear you limb from limb, but I won’t. You and your companion have managed to intrigue me. I think instead you two shall serve me as my slaves, but first I have to finish taking control of Canterlot.”

Chrysalis fired one final spell before taking off, leaving Drake lying in the garden curled up in the fetal position, crying and whimpering as he passed out. Chrysalis laughed as she flew back the castle. Once the battle was over, she would take some time to properly enslave him. For now, she had six pesky meddlers and the other dragon to deal with.

* * * * * * * * * * *

In the castle, Twilight woke slowly and painfully. Around her, her friends were still unconscious and Spike was trapped by the changeling’s green goo. In front her Celestia hung upside down suspended in a strange green pod, Cadence was stuck near Shining Armor, who was himself still trapped within his own mind. Before she could wake her friends, Queen Chrysalis came in through the window laughing.

“Perfect,” Chrysalis said, her laughter dying down as she walked up to Twilight. “It’s sad really. You suspected me all along, but everyone around you was blinded by the wedding and their own desires.” Chrysalis said, lifting Twilight’s chin with a hoof forcing the defeated unicorn to look her in the eyes.

“Now that you, the other elements, and even these rogue dragons are mine, nothing will stand in my way.” Chrysalis dropped Twilight’s chin and walked towards the windows. Seeing her army running free through the city she began to sing. “This day has been just perfect. The kind of day I have dream of since I was small. Every pony I’ll soon control, every stallion, mare, and foal. Who says a girl can’t really have it all!”

As Chrysalis watched her troops pacify Canterlot, Twilight made her move. Tiphoofing, she crept the Cadence’s side and removed her bindings. “Quick, go to him while you still have a chance,” Twilight whispered, motioning towards her brother. Cadence went to her groom, but he remained unresponsive to anything she tried.

Despairing Princess Cadence closed her eyes and hugged the stallion she loved. Whether through conscious effort or by a miracle her horn crackled with energy and a single heart manifest itself above the duo. It floated lazily through the air before landing between Shining Armor’s eyes. In a flash of pink, Shining Armor was liberated from his enthrallment.

“Where, wuh, huh. Is the wedding over?” Shining asked shaking the cobwebs leftover from Chrysalis’ spell out of his mind as Cadence and Twilight smiled joyfully. Before anyone could answer him Chrysalis came down ruining the moment.

“It’s all over,” She gloated glaring down at the wedding couple.

“Your spell, perform you spell.” Twilight called from behind the queen, praying that her brother had the power within him to expel the changelings and save the city.

“What good would that do you? My changelings already roam free.” Chrysalis asked laughing as she watched Shining’s defiance crumble.

“No!” Shining breathed as he struggled to focus is power, but his long enthrallment had left his drained and weak. “My power is useless now. I don’t have the strength to repel them.”

“My love will give you strength.” Cadence said, hugging Shining Armor.

“Ha ha ha, what a lovely, but absolutely ridiculous sentiment.” Chrysalis said hovering in the air.

Undeterred, Shining Armor prepared to cast his spell once more while Cadence lent him her power. Shining weaved the spell with Cadence providing the power. Where their horns meet, their magic aura combining bringing forth a bright light. As the spell took shape the duo began to lift off the ground. To Chrysalis’s surprise, the spell worked and she was flung away along with her army. As the blast dissipated, the other beings in the room began to wake.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Spike woke to the sound of someone screaming and found himself in the castle. His body had returned to its normal size, but was covered in a strange green substance, keeping him immobilized. Looking around, he saw Shining Armor and a vaguely familiar pink alicorn hugging each other. Nearby, Twilight was removing Princess Celestia from a green pod, and next to him the rest of their friends came to on their own.

“What happened?” he asked, drawing everyone’s attention. Shining Armor was the first to act, quickly throwing a shield over Spike, cutting him off from everyone else. Though the shield prevented any sounds from entering, Spike saw Twilight run over to her brother and begin talking animatedly as Celestia stood looking between her student and Spike.

* * * * * * * * * * *

“Shining don’t hurt him! It’s Spike!” Twilight said as she ran over, trying to place herself between her brother and Spike.

“There’s no way that’s Spike, Twilie. Spike is a baby dragon. That thing is not a baby dragon!” Shining replied, sternly waving a hoof at Spike.

“No, it IS Spike. I‘m just as surprised as you by how he looks, but you have to believe me. He tried to protect us from the changelings when we went to get the elements. He isn’t going to hurt anyone here. Please, drop the shield,” Twilight pleaded.

“What do you mean he ‘protected you’?” Shining asked, taking a more relaxed stance but still maintaining the shield.

“He fought the changelings that tried to stop us from reaching the vault. He knocked them out of the sky as they tried to chase us, and fought them on the ground when they got close. It didn’t matter since I couldn’t open the vault, but he did help us. Without him, we probably wouldn’t have made it to the vault.”

“Twilight, is that really Spike? What happened to him?” Princess Celestia asked, concerned about the change in Spike’s appearance. She wondering what else about him may have changed.

“Um, you see, he kinda went off with another dragon he met during the dragon migration. From what he said in his letters, he and the other dragon left Equestria and did some kind of training together. If Shining drops the shield, maybe we could ask him,” Twilight answered sheepishly.

”You mean not only has Spike, for whom you are responsible for, been away from your supervision and care, but furthermore, you did not see fit to inform me of this development, instead conspiring to hide it from me.” Celestia said, her displeasure clear as she walked towards Twilight.

“Well… um… you see…yes your Highness,” Twilight mumbled, her eyes facing down to avoid meeting her mentor’s gaze.

“Captain Armor, drop your shield.”

“Are you sure your majesty?” Shining asked, still uncertain that the dragon under the shield was really Spike.

“Yes, he is trapped in the changeling cement anyway, so we should be safe should he try anything. Besides we have no way to discover where he has been and what he has been doing unless we ask him,” Celestia answered confidently.

Shining nodded in understanding and dropped his shield as Celestia freed the rest of the element bearers from their bonds. Everyone gathered around Spike who, sensing the tension in the room, decided to take the initiative and speak first.

“Hey everyone, long time no see, huh?” Everyone’s reaction told their surprise and, in many cases, relief. While his body had changed and his voice was a bit deeper, everyone could tell it was indeed their Spike. Shining looked surprised and disbelieving, Celestia maintained a neutral mask, glad he seemed unchanged but still uncertain about him after seeing him roast the changelings, Twilight burst into tears, hugging him tight; her friends quickly joined her. Cadence just leaned against Shining Armor, glad everything seemed to have worked out and she was reunited with her love.

“I’m glad to see you guys too. I’m sure you have tons of questions, and I will be happy to answer them. Can I get free of this gunk first--I’m starting to cramp up and would like to stretch out a bit.” As Spike stretched after being released from the changeling cement, he asked a question that had gnawed at him while he was trapped under Shining’s shield. “By the way, has anyone seen Drake, the other dragon I came here with? He was supposed to distract Chrysalis so you guys could use the elements without having to worry about her attacking you directly.”

As Spike said Drake’s name, both Princess Celestia and Shining Armor tensed up, remembering the letter they received, but said nothing. Twilight and the others just shrugged and said no. Cadence, however, offer an answer.

“I think I saw him. He came by and grabbed Chrysalis and walked away into the garden with her, muttering something about a pretty pony princess and someone named Henry. A couple minutes later, I heard Chrysalis laughing. After that, I heard screams for a long time until they grew too weak for me to hear. Once the screams stopped and the rest of you had been caught, Chrysalis returned.” Cadence finished recounting the events from her perspective as realization dawned on her. “You don’t think those screams-“

Before she could finish her sentence, Spike ran to the balcony and took off towards the gardens. Rainbow and Fluttershy flew after him as Twilight, Celestia, and Cadence teleported the rest to the entrance of the garden to follow on foot, with Cadence, remaining behind, exhausted from her imprisonment and helping Shining Armor power his shield.

Where is he? Where is he? Spike thought as he flew over the gardens, doing his best to follow the path of destruction left by Drake. If those screams were his… No don’t think about that. He’s too tough, too smart to die like that. At last, he spotted a Drake. Spike landed hard. He found Drake curled up, his wings shielding him from the outside world. As Spike waved Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy down, he heard sniffles and realized Drake was crying. A closer examination showed dark scorch marks covering his body.

“What happened?” Spike breathed, lifting up on of Drake’s wings. As Drake’s face was revealed, Fluttershy gasped and rushed over. Spike saw why. There was blood leaking from Drakes ears, nose, and mouth. While some of it had dried, the bleeding did not seem to be stopping.

“Oh dear, we have to help him!” Fluttershy said, whatever fear she had replaced by concern when she saw the blood.

“Yes, it wouldn’t do to allow him to suffer needlessly,” Princess Celestia interjected, seeing Drake’s condition as she and the others arrived. “Though I wonder what Chrysalis did to him?”

“He was tortured,” Shining Armor answered, drawing everyone’s gaze. “It has happened to guardsponies in the past, usually at the hands of harpies,” he explained in response to the questioning, eyes on him as he walked closer to Drake. “Princess I don’t think the guard hospital can house a dragon of his size, but we should be able to treat him here.” The Princess took a moment to consider her captain’s words. Looking over the destruction caused by Drake’s walk through the gardens and remembering the attack by him and Spike on the changelings.

Spike listened to the exchange, standing by Drake. He stole the occasional glance as Drake whimpered. Fluttershy flitted about him, looking for any other injures he may have endured. The rest of the elements gathered away from Drake, talking in soft tones, their faces peeking out at the dragons before quickly glancing away. When he looked at Celestia, he saw worry and concern in her face. It dawned on Spike it wasn’t for Drake, but for what he might do when he recovered.

“Very well. Captain, go get some medics and bring them here. Rainbow Dash, please come here,” Celestia said, finally having made her decision. Shining Armor ran off to fulfill his orders and organize the guard to help with the aftermath of the invasion. Perhaps once that was done he could spend some time with his fiancé.

“Yes your highness,” Rainbow Dash said, ready for whatever the princess needed of her.

“I need you to fly back to the castle and find Diligent Scribe. Tell him to begin preparing a damage report. I need to know what has been destroyed and how many of my subjects have been hurt.”

“Understood Princess,” Rainbow offered a quick salute that would have made Shining cringe and then took off, heading back to the castle.

“What about the rest of us Princess, how can we help?” Twilight asked, stepping up to do whatever she could now to make up for failing to retrieve the elements.

“For now Twilight, wait.”

“But Princess, correct me if’n Ah’m wrong here, but there are ponies that need help and work that needs doing. Do you really want us to just sit on our hooves an’ wait?” Applejack asked, confused.

“Yes, going out now might seem like to right thing, but if we wait and then coordinate the repair and recovery efforts, we will be able to help more ponies more quickly Applejack,” Celestia responded kindly, understanding her confusion.

“Oh I know! While we’re waiting for the reports we can setup a snack station at the entrance to the castle! That way, when ponies come by looking for help we can give them coco and cupcakes! Then they can go out and tell others to come to the castle! Then everypony can tell us if they need anything and get free hot coco and a snack!” Pinkie suggested, beginning to bounce around. She disappeared once she finished speaking to make her plan a reality before anyone could say anything.

Everyone else, except Fluttershy, who was still watching Drake closely, stood stunned for a moment before Rarity spoke up. “As unorthodox as her suggestion may seem, it is a good one. Why don’t we,” Rarity motioned to herself, Applejack, Twilight and Spike, “go and help her? That way Fluttershy here to watch can Drake until the medics arrive and you can take care of whatever you need to.”

“An excellent suggestion Rarity,” Celestia responded after taking a second to consider it. “Of course there is likely already an aid station at the front of the castle. Everypony except Fluttershy should head there. If one of you could find Pinkie and get her there I am sure many ponies in the castle kitchen will thank you.” As Rarity, Twilight and Applejack began to head out, a voice stopped them.

“No.” Turning around they saw Spike standing upright and defiantly besides Drake. “The rest of you go. Princess you have your own duties to attend to, but I am going to wait right here until Drake wakes up.”

“Spike, the Princess gave us an order, what do you mean telling her no?” Twilight asked running up to him, only to find herself looking up.

“This was my plan Twilight, Drake didn’t want to fight Chrysalis. He only went along with it because he felt it would uphold his end of the bargain we struck when I first went off with him. He is like this because of me. I’m not going to leave him until he tells me he’s ok,” Spike responded angrily even as the tears welling up in his eyes betrayed his true emotions. He felt guilty that Drake had been tortured and believed watching over him was his burden to bear.

Celestia read Spike easily; for all his physical changes, he was still the dragon she had watched grow up alongside Twilight. “Very well Spike. You are to stay here and keep watch over Drake. When he wakes up, explain to him what happened and tell him I wish to speak with him.”

“Princess?” Twilight asked, shifting her gaze to her mentor.

“It’s okay Twilight, you and your friends go on,” Celestia answered calmly. Twilight and the others left to find Pinkie and provide what help they could.

Spike thanked Celestia as she took to the air. Celestia returned to the castle to receive her reports and begin coordinating the recovery efforts. Fluttershy settled into the grass near Drake’s head, stroking his neck and speaking soothing words until the medics arrived. Spike stood guard over Drake long into the night, until finally he succumbed to his own fatigue and fell asleep atop one of the toppled hedges.

Rainbow delivered Princess Celestia’s message to Diligent Scribe before being roped into flying over Canterlot with a camera to record the damage, not that she minded as Captain Spitfire was leading the effort.

Shining Armor spent many hours setting the guard in order and dealing with the losses caused by the changeling infiltrators before finally passing out at his desk.

Cadence checked in for a medical evaluation after recovering from helping Princess Celestia and Twilight with the teleport. She was given a clean bill of health before being fed and escorted to her room.

All over Canterlot, ponies worked throughout the night to recover from the invasion, but in the garden Drake remained unresponsive. His consciousness had fled to the deepest parts of his mind and repeated the same thought over and over. ’No more. Please, no more. No more. Please no more. No more, please no more,’ before a voice called out to him, shattering the wall he was building around himself.

’COME TO ME.’

* * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note:

Opening Scene inspired by the looney toons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI


Also I am still looking for editors and/or prereaders for future chapters.

Speaking of future chapter school is starting up again soon and while I hope to keep putting out a chapter about once a month I offer no guarantees.

As always thank you for reading.

Reviewed 29 Dec 15 - Minor fixes.

PreviousChapters Next