• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 6,830 Views, 350 Comments

Changin' Hooves - OneTrickPon3



Vinyl and Octavia switch bodies and learn some valuable lessons in the process

  • ...
6
 350
 6,830

Intermission 1: There Will Be Ships

"Is it just me, or did the Princess seem a little...odd...to you?" Octavia asked as they walked through the park. After being surprised by Princess Luna back in the cafe and hastily making an exit, the two silently agreed to keep walking wherever their hooves took them. As it turned out, the eight combined limbs bore their masters towards Canterlot's popular park district, situated only a stone's throw away from where they were eating. The park itself, nestled between the Middle and Upper districts of the city, was a popular location for ponies of all walks of life to come and relax in its scenic atmosphere.

"Well, maybe she was stressed," Vinyl replied. Octavia nodded in agreement, it seemed like a simple enough reason. Co-ruling an entire nation and getting re-acclimated to society after a thousand years of isolation would seem like reason enough to be stressed. "Or," Vinyl continued after a brief pause, "maybe she was brainwashed."

"Brainwashed..." Octavia deadpanned back. "You're right, that makes total sense, because a brainwashed pony capable of enacting new laws and moving a celestial body has absolutely nothing else to do but make us their own personal playthings."

"I know!" Vinyl exclaimed, Octavia's sarcasm going so far over her head that it was probably in orbit by now, "think about it, she wasn't the way she usually was with us, she didn't even try to tease us or anything! It has to be the changelings, they must have infiltrated our system and are planning to take us down from the inside, except now we can't just fire the orbital friendship cannon at them!"

"Orbital...friendship...cannon..." Octavia slowly repeated.

"Yeah, you know, that rainbow thing that happens when those six ponies wear the flashy jewelry. They nuke the baddie, and everything's back to normal. Except they aren't here so they can't do that. It's the perfect plan...except we caught on to it. We can still stop it Octy, you and me. Vinyl and Octy vs. the world!"

"Vinyl, I'm going to ask you to do something," Octavia stated slowly.

"What's that? Kick flank? Chew bubblegum? Oh, but I'm all out of gum..."

"Vinyl, shut up."

"Geez Octy, you have no imagination," Vinyl groaned, bumping Octavia's hip with her own.

"No, unlike you, I live in something normal ponies call reality. It's quite nice actually, maybe you should move there sometime. I hear the food's good."

Vinyl tried to hold back a snort at the remark. "Wow Octy, I didn't know you had a sense of humor in there. Tell ya what, for making me laugh, I'll think about getting a timeshare or something in this 'reality' place."

"It's a start, I suppose," Octavia sighed.

The two continued their slow pace through the park, greeting ponies as they themselves were greeted. It was a nice experience for the both of them; it was a taste of normality, something that was extremely lacking in light of recent events. Despite the stressful situation she was in, Octavia actually began to relax, letting the calm surroundings melt away her worries for a while as if she were under the skilled hooves of a masseuse. Perhaps the surroundings worked a little too well on her, as she soon found herself trying to stifle a yawn, a yawn that did not go unnoticed by Vinyl.

"You tired, Octy?" Vinyl asked. It was a simple question that usually would warrant a simple answer, but Octavia was a little shocked at the mare it was coming from. Maybe she was reading too much into it, but that question coming from Vinyl made it seem like Vinyl actually cared how she was feeling. Octavia must have taken a little too long to respond, as the next thing she new she was staring into Vinyl's amethyst eyes.

"Yo, Equestria to Octy," Vinyl asked as she waved a hoof between their eyes, "I asked if you were tired and you kinda spaced out on me."

"Huh? Oh!" Octavia stammered, her cheeks flushing a little bit in embarrassment, or what she sincerely hoped was just embarrassment. "Y-yes, I am a little tired I suppose..."

"Alright, I guess here's as good as anywhere," Vinyl declared, causing Octavia to raise an eyebrow. The signal was not lost on Vinyl, as she clarified moments later. "I mean you can lay on this bench and catch some z's, travel to dreamland, or nap as the popular saying goes." She gestured to a vacant bench near underneath a nice shady oak tree that seemed like it would be perfect for the activity.

Octavia thought for a moment. Sure she was tired, but to sleep like this out in public? It would be a disgrace to her image...except she remembered that her image wasn't hers anymore, that was in the hooves of Vinyl now. She suppressed a shudder at the thought. But what about Vinyl, would she also decide to take a nap as well? It sure seemed like her, at least. But then, where would she be sleeping? On the ground? No, that would not do, if Octavia's body were to stoop so low as to be seen sleeping in public, it would at least have some form of proper bedding. After a few moments, Octavia made up her mind.

"I appreciate the offer Vinyl, but if we're both going to take a nap, I would just assume go back to one of our dwellings and sleep there."

Vinyl raised an eyebrow, "I never said anything about me sleeping. You seemed tired and I thought you'd appreciate the chance to take a rest."

"Wait, you're not going to sleep?" Octavia asked in surprise.

"Nah, I like to pony watch when I come to the park, and besides I don't want to throw off your body's sleep schedule or anything like that. So I'll just stay up and wait until you're finished napping, then we can go back. Sound ok?" Vinyl asked, a small tone of pleading, nigh detectable, creeping into her voice.

Octavia smiled warmly at her, "Alright, you've convinced me. Let's go then."

Vinyl smiled widely as she half walked, half bounced to the aforementioned bench, Octavia in tow. Vinyl hopped up on the bench and patted the spot next to her, inviting Octavia to sit along with her. Octavia took the invitation and sat down, looking up at the view in front of them. While the bench itself was a little off the path, it was also on slightly elevated ground, giving ponies sitting on it a nice view of the center of the park where other ponies would be playing. The fact that it was out of the way also made it quieter than other places in the park, and one could be easily lulled to sleep from the tranquility. It was almost as if they were detached from the world around them and they were merely observers.

Octavia began to settle down when she noticed a problem; the bench wasn't big enough for both Vinyl to sit and Octavia to lay down.

"Uh, Vinyl..."

"Yeah?"

"I can't lay down with you sitting there without our bodies overlapping..." Octavia muttered quietly.

"Huh? Oh, just lay your head in my lap," Vinyl replied casually, not making eye contact with Octavia.

"What!?" Octavia yelped in surprise, her cheeks flushing hotly.

"Hey, i-it's not like I chose this bench because of that..." Vinyl stammered in defense. "I just thought you'd like someplace out of the way so you could, uh, relax and stuff."

Octavia calmed down a bit at that. True, their location was nice and quiet, and it wasn't like there were other ponies around to see them, clearly at least. It's a nice thought of her at least, as ill thought-out as it was. I suppose it can't hurt...oh I sure hope none of this makes it back to Mother...

Without a word, Octavia managed to slowly shift her position, lightly resting her head on Vinyl's lap, causing the mare to jump a little in surprise. Octavia looked up towards Vinyl's eyes, which were looking anywhere but at her. She looks so embarrassed and uncomfortable...

"Vinyl are you sure-"

"Yeah, i-it's alright, you just caught me off guard, heh..." Vinyl dismissed, rubbing the back of her head. "Get some rest Octavia, you look like you could use some."

"Mhmm," Octavia mumbled in agreement as she turned her head away from Vinyl's body. This is surprisingly comfortable actually... Octavia's eyes closed as she sighed contentedly, the calls of dreamland beckoning her to join them. As she drifted off, she smiled slightly wider as she remembered something. She called me Octavia this time...

Author's Note:

OK! Short chapter this time, partly because I wanted to get at least SOMETHING out there for you guys, but also to start nudging the story in a slightly different direction. That's right, turns out I can't trust myself when I say I'm not going to do things, because this is where the seeds of romance are planted. And do you know what I blame? My anime binge. I didn't really think too much of it until it started to influence my writing like this, but I guess it's not a bad thing. After all, Tavi/Scratch is the best ship. As for stuff actually happening pertaining to the story, that will happen next chapter, after Octavia wakes up. Think of this as an intermission instead of me trying to get back into the habit of writing. Yeah, let's go with that. Until next time folks!