• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 6,830 Views, 350 Comments

Changin' Hooves - OneTrickPon3



Vinyl and Octavia switch bodies and learn some valuable lessons in the process

  • ...
6
 350
 6,830

Intermission 2: Thoughts

Octavia panted heavily as the glow of her horn died down. She checked her appearance in the mirror, just to make sure that she didn't miss any details.

Electric blue mane, magenta eyes, obnoxious cocky grin. She flashed a grin just to be sure. As far as I can tell, everything is back to the way it was. The book wasn't kidding though, that really did take a lot of magic.

She sighed heavily and retreated to the bedroom to flop down on Vinyl's bed. As exhausted as she felt, she knew she couldn't fall asleep, not with the talk her and Vinyl were about to have. She draped a foreleg over her eyes to block out the light and fidgeted one of her hind legs impatiently.

Ohhhh, why did she have to make me wait? It's like the worst possibly timed commercial break in the history of Equestria. She lifted her foreleg to shoot a quick glance at the clock before replacing it, secretly hoping that time had magically moved forward at an accelerated pace. Ponyfeathers. Still not time yet.

After a few minutes of shifting and fidgeting, the impatient mare finally sat up and groaned.

"I won't pass time quickly by just waiting. You know what they say, a watched pot never boils."

Her words echoed through the empty apartment, which only a short while ago was filled with emotionally charged fury and sadness. That in itself made it seem quieter than usual, however Octavia was not going to sit around and allow herself to be consumed by it.

"I need some fresh air, and something to do with all this energy."

With a quick glance at the time, seeing that she still had a good forty five minutes before their determined meeting time, Octavia reached a single conclusion.

"I'm going for a walk."


Vinyl groaned for what felt like the hundredth time as she paced around. "Dammit Vinyl Scratch, what were you thinking? Promising her that she would get to hear everything, what the hell!?" She slammed her hooves into the dirt below, the soft thud seemingly amplified by the deathly quiet atmosphere around her. She panted a few times before hanging her head. "I could always run away I guess. It's worked for me before, hell it's how I got here in the first place. Always running, always afraid, always hiding." She sat back on her haunches and started to absentmindedly draw in the dirt below.

"But I don't want to run away...Do I?" Her absentminded dirt doodles stared back at her. Without thinking, she had drawn her turntables and the word 'Octavia' before her. "Ha," she laughed dryly. "Probably the only two things I can't run from, or really want to run from. I might not make bank by DJing, but I have more fun with it than I ever did with that violin. And Octy..." She sighed again. "I guess I do owe her some kind of explanation, as much as I don't want to."

She wiped a hoof over the doodles, erasing them from the earth before standing up again. "It's almost time, I guess I need to figure out what I'm gonna tell her."


Octavia took a deep breath, relishing in the chilly night air. Her walk through the Lower District had proved to be an adequate outlet for her pent up energy, and now she was on her way to their predetermined meeting place. Crossing through the gates to the Middle District, she began to pick up her pace. Oh why did she have to have it so far away from the house? At this rate I won't wake up for two days with how much sleep I'm losing. NO! Bad Octavia! This is about Vinyl remember? She bit her lip in concern. I really hope she's alright, I did kind of force her into doing this.

Her ears drooped slightly at the thought. I really do sound like the bad guy here. I'm sure she had her reasons for hiding like that, but I was too overcome by curiosity to really consider that. I should apologize and try to make amends with her. She smiled slightly as she approached the meeting spot. She looked to her left, spotting a graveyard. Her pace slowed a little but she quickly shook her head and continued on. Eventually, her hooves led her to the Canterlot Orphanage, or what used to be the Canterlot Orphanage. It had been closed about two years beforehand but there were no plans for what was going to happen to the building or the property. However, the building was still structurally intact, surprisingly, however signs of neglect were everywhere from the untrimmed grass to the chipping paint.

Octavia spotted Vinyl on an old playground, absentmindedly swinging herself on the swingset.

"Vinyl," she called softly as she approached.

Vinyl flinched slightly, but remained seated on the swing. "Octavia," she replied softly, not lifting her head to make eye contact.

"Vinyl, listen," Octavia began, her voice slightly louder. "I'm sorry that this happened. If you really don't want to tell me anything, you don't have to. It was insensitive of me to force you into this situation, and-"

Her words were cut off when Vinyl raised a hoof to silence her. "Octy, I know. If you told me this twenty minutes ago, I would have easily taken that route. But I've been thinking, and I'm tired. Tired of running away and hiding all the time. I want somepony to be there with me." Vinyl raised her head to look into Octavia's eyes. "I'm trusting you more than I've trusted anypony before by telling you this. Please, just listen to what I have to say."

Octavia nodded in response.

Vinyl sighed in relief and looked down again. "Now, where to begin..."

Author's Note:

Holy. Cow. This is so late it's not even funny >.>
But then again, in the last week I've had Christmas with both families, New Year's, and my birthday. Plus as you all know I am horrendously unmotivated when it comes to writing. Hell I think I might be losing my touch, but that's neither here nor there. Story within a story with the next update. Hopefully that will be sometime this year. Love you all!