• Published 5th Aug 2012
  • 2,244 Views, 24 Comments

Sunset's Last Glow - Note Worthy



A remnant from the past has returned, and it's up to Rainbow Dash (and others) to help them fit in.

  • ...
1
 24
 2,244

Chapter 3: A Splash of Color

Sunset’s Last Glow
Chapter 3: A Splash of Color

Phoenix Ember kept his head hung down as the trio walked in through the busy corridors of the castle. Some ponies would stop from their business and gawk as the two pegasi and unicorn walked quietly past, heading with a quiet intensity through the marble laid hallways of the very busy castle. As they walked by, there was a small line of ponies that were waiting to see Princess Celestia. A guard came out to let them know that she was dealing with some royal matters and that it would be a little bit longer as she was now in a private conference. You have to feel bad for them--they get all this way to talk to her, and she makes them wait. Not very considerate if you ask me. After they exited the chamber, he needed to make sure he put on an appearance of strength, even though his world has just figuratively collapsed into tiny little pieces with Celestia’s words. He stood back up, walking with a sense of pride, as if he had just successfully captured Celestia himself.

Ruby Glitter was the first to regard Phoenix with a question. “Why are you dressed like that?” The magenta coated unicorn looked up at the taller pegasus, who seemed unfazed. Her controlled mane was curled slightly near the end tips of her neckline, with the errant strands tossed in place to keep her ears visible.

“It’s my uniform. Reminds me of who I am and who I serve.” The answer was flat, dispassionate as he kept his eyes forward, waiting for the crowds to thin out and the way to the dungeons of Canterlot Castle be made to his awareness.

“Oh. So, you’re a Wonderbolt, then? Cool! I’ve always to meet them, but I’ve just joined on helping with court and Celestia... that’s where I was before I was called for. It’s my first week in the Princess’ service, and I can’t tell you how excited I was when she picked me to be one of her helpers in her court! Oh, my parents were so--”

Phoenix nickered. “Yeah, yeah, that’s great kid; save it for somepony who cares.” The chattering from the small mare was starting to work on Phoenix’s nerves as they turned toward another corridor, this one practically empty, save for some tapestries and a couple of guardsponies near the end. This must be the dungeon wing--about time. Let’s see if they’re anything like how I remember them from the Castle.

Ruby’s talking was undeterred. “But you’re a Wonderbolt! It’s supposed to be important that a unicorn like me now gets to help guard the Princess, whom you escort from place to place during specific functions, like taking her to Trottingham, Baltimare, and San Coltcisco; all of Equestria! Ohh... I envy pegasi, with their freedom and the capacity to soar in the sky, do all those tricks, loops, walking on the clouds... it’s just always been my dream to--”

“Yeah, that’s nice.” Does this mare have a place where I can turn her voice off? Because she’s really starting to irritate me. Take a hint, kid, and stop talking. I really couldn’t care less what your ambitions or desires in life are. I just want to serve my time, and then figure out a way to get Celestia alone, so I can put the tips of my front hooves into her thro--

“Ruby... I think that the General isn’t all too concerned about what it is that you do for the Princess. Although, when you get a minute, I’d like to talk to you about helping us out earlier.” Steady Hoof said, trying to just muscle through his way through this duty, as he walked to the side and slightly behind Phoenix Ember. A single guard was at the entrance to the dungeon, a rather muscular looking unicorn colt that was eyeing Phoenix through his helmet and not liking at all what he was seeing.

Steady called out. “Hey, Iron Wing. Stop daydreaming and get the door open. I have a new visitor for you.” Ruby was a little unsure as to the procedure for prisoner transfers and thought that because they were near the entrance to the dungeon, the same level of magic to hold Phoenix in place wasn’t necessary. Following on this logical course of thought, she diminished the amount of energy she was focusing on keeping the winged pony from taking off and flying away.

Phoenix noticed that the gentle twinkling field around him had let up a bit, but the fight to flee had simply left him for the moment. His hooves tapped the floor in a rhythmic cadence, one of the only things helping to keep the face he had worked so hard to maintain since leaving Celestia’s chambers. The breath from his lungs was also kept in a proper pace, so that he would not appear bothered by the complete decimation of the world as he had known it. A hidden pain began to ebb into his heart, and it was that of loneliness. Hiding it was going to take thrice the effort as they made their way through the hallways.

Iron Wing chuckled, looking at the stern, unwavering face that Phoenix was putting on. “So... what do we got here, Steady? Some pegasus gets their wings in a twist because of the lack of stuff for Cloudsdalers to do?”

Steady’s face was dead-panned, almost as emotionless at Phoenix. “No. He’s a Shadowbolt, or at least was one. I have special orders... he’s to be treated well, and given the full courtesy.”

The dark brown stallion laughed, obnoxious and loudly. “Hah! Full courtesy? So, where should we put him first? The rack, full extension wall..?”

Iron Wing. Princess Celestia herself made those orders. I somehow feel that she wouldn’t be pleased if something bad were to happen to him. He’s a very important pony prisoner. Got it?!” The piercing sneer and a threatening hoof to the front of his midsection imparted to the smart-mouthed guard to not joke around on this one. In the hoof was a small piece of paper, which he allowed to fall to the floor. “Now, escort Mr. Ember to his cell, and ensure that he is well fed when late lunch is brought around. Ruby Glitter, I have an assignment for you. I would like for you to keep an eye on Phoenix here during mealtimes. I know you were just promoted to court service, but for now I need somepony I can trust to see that he’s treated well. For the duration of time that he’s in the dungeons, you will be his food steward. Can you do that for me?”

Ruby Glitter paused for a second before slowly nodding. “Sure... I can do that. This is just temporary, right?” Her face was a small blend of worry, disdain for the job she had done for two years prior, and true concern of needing to deal with this specific pony, which didn’t seem to show the first bit of interest in her life.

“Yes, Glitter, purely temporary until Celestia decides what to do with him.” Iron Wing was taking down the specifics from the report that he needed to retrieve from the ground after Steady Hoof had dropped it, another inconvenience that the pegasus guard had created for the dungeon keeper this day. After finishing out his paperwork, he gently put a hoof on Phoenix Ember, saying “Follow me.” with as little emotion as was equinally possible.

The dungeon was remarkably clean, almost as if it had been used as a dry storage area at one point in time. What else shocked Phoenix was how well lit it was inside. Proper beds, pillows... even areas to paint! This is a jail? Obviously this is not something Luna rules over, or ever did--because this is stupid. It’s more of a reward than it is a punishment.

“Don’t let the appearances fool you, Shadowbolt. You’ll definitely pay for your crimes down here. Up here, on the right.” Steady Hoof followed behind, ready to remind the unicorn who was in charge among the hierarchy of things in case he decided to try anything smart with Phoenix.

Iron Wing’s horn glowed, opening the door on a rather large cell. This one was like the rest, almost decorated like a guest room in the castle, but having the feeling of being designated to make ponies think about their actions. There was a bright mural painted on the wall, of a time that Phoenix remembered all too well.

The sisters divided. Luna and Celestia at odds. I was by her side so many times when she would argue with her sister about the lack of appreciation her night received, the desire for the same love she received, her bitterness and anger festering as night by night passed until she simply could take no more--even with all Celestia said to her. The damage had been done; Luna was tired of simply hearing the same unanswerable promises.

“The irony is not lost on me, Steady Hoof,” was all that Phoenix said as he entered the cell, the magic from Ruby Glitter now vanishing completely as he knew there was nowhere to fly to. The door slammed shut a moment later as Iron Wing used his magic on it, grumbling as he returned to his watchpost outside. Steady and Ruby remained.

“Now... Shadowbolt. You’re going to spend a while down here to think. Ruby Glitter will tend to your mealtime needs.” Steady was curt, looking at the defiant pegasus and wanting to shake his head, but he as well did not wish to reveal any unnecessary emotion. He paused for a moment, looking at the mural himself, before turning and leaving. “Come, Ruby Glitter. Now’s not the time to dawdle. Besides, you have a meal to bring to him soon.”

“Oh, right! Sorry, Phoenix Ember! I’ll be back soon!” Ruby gave the pegasus a demure smile, and then turned to follow the royal guard.

Their hooffalls grew more distant, and the slow opening of the door was heard, with a proper closing of it a couple of moments later. Only now that Phoenix knew he was alone did he collapse fully to the floor, the whole of what had been told to him almost more than he could fully shoulder.

A thousand years... I’ve been locked away with Luna? Why don’t I remember any of it? Did it have something to do with the spell, something to do with our spirits? What in the hay happened to me? Like the shattering of glass after a hoof has been drawn through it, he recalled his two compatriots and realized that they were still not accounted for.

My friends... my best friend... where are you? Where did you go? It... it wasn't meant to be this way, Shadowbolts. Wherever you are, find your way home, or at least to the peace that night will bring us.


Princess Luna was sleeping, in the midst of the afternoon in Canterlot. Given that reason, it was quite understandable when one of Celestia’s guards knocked on her door and had the foolhardiness to open it without being invited in that she was a little upset with this particular unicorn.

The light of the afternoon seemed to pierce Luna’s eyes as the door was opened. She almost screamed, as she sat up quickly to see who was so stupid as to open the door to her personal bedchamber without asking. “What is the matter with you? Can you not tell that we were resting? It is not even nightfall yet!” the night princess snarled, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and wrestling with the desire to levitate this poor pony and bring him right in front of her.

“I am sorry, Your Highness, but your sister said that it was urgent that she meet with you as soon as possible,” the guard said, now using most of the door to Luna’s quarters to keep himself safe if Luna had decided to pick up anything with her hooves and throw it in his direction.

“Ugh! Inform our sister that we will be down in approximately ten minutes. For now, leave us as we are awake.” The guard did not need to be told twice as he finished his exit from the Night Princess’ sleeping chambers, closing the door behind him. Luna tossed off the sheets from the bed and got up, flapping her wings and seeing how desperate of a need they were in preening. “Hmm. Mayhaps we should have said twenty minutes. None the matter--our sister will simply need to receive us in whatever condition we arrive in.”

After fifteen careful minutes of mane brushing, some feather preening and donning her crown, Princess Luna exited from her chambers, a very displeased look on her face. “All we can say is that whatever it is that sister wishes to speak about, it must be of the utmost importance, or we will see to it that the dessert course mysteriously disappears from dinner time--and is simply sent to our chambers, and we will not feel bad about not sharing!”

She walked the hallways, keeping her eyes slightly squinted as the glow of the daylight was still something very foreign to her perceptions, with the newness of her introduction to this world remaining a major issue. Sister should get provide a method of shielding the sun from us if she wishes for us to participate in more activities during the latter part of her day and early part of her morning, while we are still awake between the watch over our night. The walk to Celestia’s private office was a quiet one for Luna, a small littering of guards lining the corridors. As she approached the doorway, she did not even wait for the earth pony--which she found quite funny to have guarding the doorway to the Sun Princess’ chambers--to even motion to the doors, using her horn to unlatch the lock and open it herself. “Forgive us for preventing you from performing your duties. We are in... quite a hurry, considering the manner by which we were awoken in the middle of the day.”

The guard did not even really pay much attention to Luna, almost thankful she did not need to repeat the same motion that she did at least fifty times a day. As the Night Princess entered the room, the door closed behind her and she waited for Celestia to regard her. The elder sister was facing away from Luna, keeping most all of her form hidden in the back and sides of the tall chair she had in the room.

“Sister, this matter must be of the utmost importance, or we are going back to bed and we will force you to raise the moon this evening. Do you know what happened? We were awoken while sleeping. We did not appreciate this.” Luna’s tirade was not unexpected, but what happened next shocked her completely, as she saw her sister’s chair move very slowly.

Celestia banished the small smirk that crept onto her face with the absurdity of Luna's redundancy, the matter at hoof requiring a composed quiet. The Day Princess finished her slow turn in the chair, the concerns of an era she had hoped to forget seeping into her normally calm and controlled appearance. “Phoenix Ember.”

Luna did not understand the importance of what her sister had stated immediately, as the name did not have the instantaneous revelation factor that it would have a millennia ago. She stared at Celestia for a handful of seconds, waiting to see if the elder sister would offer her more information.

“Remember? Phoenix Ember.” Celestia levitated a tissue from her desk, using it to wipe her face clear from a speck of cake or other confection that had managed to stay hooked on her upper lip.

Like the tiny ripple caused by a pebble being dropped into a glass pond of water, a tide of memories began to surface inside of Luna’s consciousness. Events, locations, smells, sounds...all of it began to shoot through her mind very quickly, to the point where she almost collapsed from the weight of the rush of information. Given her state, she needed to exercise a considerable deal of restraint to prevent herself from becoming shaken.

“....what of him, sister? We... I am sorry that I had... directed him to--” Luna offered, the whole of the sordid affair before her banishment now finding a place in the forefront of her mind.

“No apologies are necessary, Luna... we were both not perfectly ourselves back in that era. No--he has returned to our time. And I do not know what to do with him.” With a flutter of her wings, she banished the emotional distress from her body and face, smiling toward her sister. “And it seems... as if he has been abandoned, just as I had abandoned you. Look.”

Celestia's horn glowed, her magic making its way to a mirror on the wall and providing a glimpse inside of the meditation cell that Phoenix had been placed in. He was flopped down on the bed, looking painfully comfortable, as if he didn’t wish for such good treatment. Luna followed her sister’s prompting, sitting down in the chair on the opposite side of the desk, staring into the “looking glass.”

“He looks just the same... like I had only seen him a week ago,” the Night Princess replied, watching at Phoenix stirred, making no attempt to be sleeping. He just... laid there, as if the thought of moving was possibly making him feel ill.

“He is... the truths of the time that I have revealed to him have left him broken inside. I wish I had not needed to, but to not share that information with him would have been even more damaging.” Celestia’s voice was mild, but still quiet. The fact that this pegasus had returned disturbed her, reminding her of unpleasant memories herself from a near forgotten era.

“What has he done to deserve such treatment?” Luna posed, truly uncertain why a pony in such a high position of authority had been relegated to the dungeon.

“He tried to kill a guard as they were escorting him inside. Silver Plate is down in the infirmary, with three broken ribs and a bruised stomach.”

The younger sister winced, hearing word of her previously trusted and near favorite guard had taken to such violence--as she had trained him slightly to do in the days before the failed takeover and their banishment. “I believe I will need to talk to him about the methods of proper conduct, now that our... disagreement is settled. I see that you chose to place him in the meditation cell?”

“I didn’t want for him to be burdened by the weight of what he does remember causing him to tailspin into nothingness. The thought of seeing the two of us staring away from each other, both defiantly not wishing to admit defeat to the other--a place I never hope we need to go to again, dear sister. Hopefully it will provide him the necessary calm to adjust to this world.”

Luna nodded, a little more profusely than she should have. “Indeed. There are still a few whispers from the monster that work their way into my dreams... and it seems as if I can never say that I am sorry to you enough. And not just to you, but to all of Equestria. They all are owed a debt that I cannot fully repay, for the handful of days that she tried to wreak havoc on all the land.”

Celestia knew better than to make any noted reply upon the thinly veiled mention of Nightmare Moon, merely looking into the mirror again. “I feel that you would be the better of the two of us for him to interact with. He trusts you more, and he also does not want to see you dead.”

“There will only be so much that I can do, sister. I am not fully yet recovered, and outside of your presence I would be... tongue-tied, possibly yielding more hurt than good.” Luna’s admission was not that of defeat, but of honest assessment--having only been freed from her prison in the moon less than a week.

“How about some help from somepony that does not have the burden of knowledge that we do? A fresh set of eyes,” the elder alicorn said.

Luna stood up, and put her hooves on the desk. “If you assign him Twilight Sparkle, I will not speak to you again for the remainder of the month!

“Temper your anger, sister... I have no intention of placing him in the hooves of somepony that would not be as helpful as one of his own race. No, it must be a pegasus--and I do not believe that the Bearer of the Element of Kindness would want to agree to the rehabilitation of somepony like Phoenix Ember.”

Luna sat back down, her outburst reminding Celestia that now she had two ponies to retrain; one to finish the work that only a sister could do, and now this new charge. Both will be incredibly difficult and highly unpleasant tasks... but they are necessary, for the wellbeing of all of Equestria, and as well as for Phoenix’s mind.

“So, if not Kindness, you mean... oh, no, Celestia, you do not possibly expect the Bearer of Loyalty to take on such an assignment, do you?”

“Do you have any better ideas, dear sister?” Celestia posed, a sly grin on her face. The same grin when she would win every game of checkers, get to dessert first or eat the last cookie from the jar.

“No... we do not. Seeing as that I am now awake with little hope of going back to sleep, would you prefer me to visit Phoenix first, or retrieve Rainbow Dash?”

“Consider it your first official duty, now that you are recognized as the Princess of the Night yet again. Try not to scare her too much.” Celestia’s grin turned into a fully fledged smile now. Luna, however, frowned.

“You owe us, sister. We expect nothing less than a whole chocolate cake when we return with Rainbow Dash.” The night princess slowly retreated from the chair and desk, not taking her eyes off of her sister for even so much as a second.

“Have a good time, Luna!” Celestia said as she opened the door with her magic, allowing Luna to finish her retreat out of the private chamber. Oh, relax, sister... you’ll love Ponyville. It’s so unique and vibrant--not like here in Canterlot, where things are boring and predictable.

Luna scoffed as the doors closed behind her, stomping away angrily. Good time indeed! This is going to be just... awful!


“This is going to be awesome!” Rainbow Dash said, finishing a loop as she came down from a cloud layer to zip past a set of trees and return skyward. A surprise party for Fluttershy seemed almost impossible to pull off, given the pegasus’ shy nature and meek mannerisms, but with careful conspiring between herself and her friends, the perfect party had been planned for later that day at Twilight’s library, much to the unicorn’s chagrin.

“And the great thing is, she’ll never see it coming! I just hope she doesn’t pass out like she normally does when we surprise her with stuff; that’s so annoying. Well, time to meet up with Pinkie Pie at Sugar Cube Corner to make sure all of the party arrangements are in order!” Dash changed her course, turning back and heading toward Sugar Cube Corner.

The wind was sliced easily as she kept her wings steady, gliding and almost kicking at the air like she was swimming. She measured her descent, targeting Sugar Cube Corner and drifting down slowly. As she neared the finish of her descent, she flapped her wings for counterbalance before setting her hooves on the ground and walking into the establishment.

Sugar Cube Corner was its slightly abnormal busy place in the waning parts of the afternoon, Pinkie Pie bouncing around helping a small line of customers as the Cakes were busy toiling in the kitchen, getting the dishes from the afternoon bake cleaned. Some ponies were sitting in the main area, others in nearby booths, nibbling on fresh confections from the fresher batch out of the kitchen. Rainbow Dash looked around for a quiet place to sit down and wait for Pinkie to come out and see her.

I just hope Fluttershy hasn’t been here yet today; as much as I trust you, Pinkie Pie--when it comes to parties, you do an awful job keeping things secret! She sidled into the booth, and looked around the bakery for a little bit.

Well, let’s just run down the list--we’ve got the cake from here, candles and ribbons from Rarity’s Boutique...we picked up the present from one of AJ’s suppliers. I think we’re set. Rainbow Dash gulped hard as a thought hit her. Oh, Celestia, I’m turning into Twilight!

“Somepony talking about me again, Rainbow Dash?” Twilight Sparkle asked, having walked over from another nearby booth. “Pinkie Pie told me that I could find you here.”

“Uhh! Twilight! Fancy meeting you here....” Oh, crud, here we go; tons of questions about a simple party. Sheesh.

“So, which one of you mares decided that it was such a great idea to use my house at a place to throw Fluttershy’s birthday party?” Twilight inquired, staring Rainbow Dash down from across the table, the annoyance on her face all too visible.

“Come on, Twilight, cut me a break here! We couldn’t do it at my place, there’s not enough room--Rarity would have thrown an absolute fit if we even considered getting glitter and streamers all over her Boutique, and throwing a party at Sweet Apple Acres would have just seemed far too convenient. She won’t suspect a thing!” Rainbow Dash said, rubbing her front hooves together.

“I know... but, it’s a library, not a party hall,” the purple unicorn argued, pointing toward the surroundings.

“You didn’t seem to mind too much when we used it to welcome you to Ponyville!” the pegasus argued back, not about to change all of the work that they had done to set up the surprise.

“You didn’t give me much of a choice! I came back home after a whirlwind day and found my house taken over by a bunch of ponies I hadn’t even met yet!” There was almost a snarl in Twilight’s voice, indicating her distaste in this whole plan.

“It’ll just be for three hours, Twilight, and we’ve all promised we would clean up when we were done! Come on, Twilight... it’s too late now to change of this. The party is in two hours!”

“And I would be really upset if I didn’t manage to pull off this super duper PARTY for one of our favorite pegasi, Fluttershy!” came a bouncing voice from behind Twilight Sparkle.

Pinkie Pie was wearing a small apron as she bounded over to Twilight and Rainbow. “So, are you both ready for the party tonight? It’s going to be great, and Fluttershy will be so surprised! I’ve been thinking about even before I met you, Twilight, and you need to see one of my proper birthday parties! So much cake and candles and sprinkles and birthday hats and--”

A hoof from Twilight Sparkle caused the pink mare to stop talking. “Pinkie. I get it.” She grumbled for a second, and then removed her hoof. “Okay, Rainbow Dash... just this once, but next time I want advanced warning and an alternate location.”

“Thanks, Twilight. You are coming, right?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“That’s right! You need to be there, otherwise she’ll know and get super upset, Twilight! You don’t want to make Fluttershy cry, do you?” Pinkie’s eyes welled up for a second, the puppy-dog look that she had become a master of focusing intently toward the unicorn.

“Yes, Pinkie, I’ll be there,” Twilight replied.

“YAY! Awesome, you’re gonna have so much fun, I promise!” She banished the warbly eyes, and returned to her beaming smile.

The purple unicorn got up to leave after having talked with Rainbow Dash about the party arrangements at her house. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back there for the two of you plus Rarity and Applejack to come and get things set up. If you need me, I’ll be upstairs reading one of the Princess’ new books she’s given me.” She got out of the booth, and headed for the exit, allowing for Pinkie Pie to sit down where she had been a minute ago.

“Sheesh... I never thought Twilight would be so grumpy about opening up her house for just one night. We would all do the same right, Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie smiled.

“Yup! Definitely... although for you earth ponies and unicorns, I don’t know how well it would work--last I checked, you couldn’t walk on clouds. Besides, I always know in case the weather’s stormy I’ve got a crash pad right here.”

Pinkie Pie nodded, and continued talking to Rainbow Dash. “So, I’ve got the cake ready in the back. Mrs. Cake is decorating it now, and she said she’d have it ready in an hour. Everything else is in a box upstairs, and you can go up and grab it and take it over to Twilight’s. I’ve got another hour on my shift, so you, Rarity and Applejack will have to do most of the decorating without me.”

What? Without you? Pinkie, this is what you live for!”

“I’m sorry, Rainbow, but I can’t just leave the store when I promised to work the extra hours... everypony’s taking picnics now, sales are crazy and we just can’t keep up with the demand! That’s why we’re doing almost three bakes a day now. We just used to do only one! Can you believe that? Anyway, don’t worry about it... you guys will do just fine without me for an hour. I’ve got to get back; it looks like we’re getting busy again! Bye, Rainbow Dash!”

Pinkie Pie jumped up and sprinted off behind the counter top again, ready to help serve the large line of customers that had just formed. Rainbow Dash sighed slightly, finding the staircase that headed upstairs just outside of the customer service area, and trotted up the two flights of stairs to reach Pinkie’s room.

The sheer pinkness of it still took her a moment to adjust to, as she blinked a couple of times. Pinkie, I know you love pink, but next time I come up here I am wearing sunglasses so my mind doesn’t short circuit. She found the box full of party supplies, and put it onto her back. Dash had her breath taken out of her for a second as she adjusted to the cargo now resting on her spine. Whoo! When Pinkie said it was full, she wasn’t kidding... this must weigh almost fifty pounds! She knew she was going to need to walk back downstairs and then head over to Twilight’s library with all of this on her back. “This... is.. .going to... take me... forever.”

She was grateful to reach the bottom stair, having adapted slightly to the uneven and shifting weight on her back as she walked as quickly as she could out the front door. As she exited Sugar Cube Corner, the weight of the box shifted unexpectedly, sending both it and Rainbow Dash into a bit of a tumble.

“Whoa! I gotcha!” came a familiar voice. Applejack was heading towards Twilight’s library, and had decided to stop by Sugar Cube Corner to meet with Pinkie too, but she had gotten caught up by a last minute errand at the farm. “Sorry ah’m late. You know how the farm can be. Need some help with that there, Rainbow Dash?”

Grunting to keep the box level, Dash looked over with semi-pleading eyes. “Definitely. Getting this stuff over to Twilight’s is kind of important, as it’s for Fluttershy’s party... and I don’t even want to think about getting anything started at Twilight’s late. I keep wondering if she’s going to crazy on us one of these days. I know we’ve just barely met her, but she’s got that potential about her--I just know it.”

Applejack laughed, easily hefting the heavy package onto her back. “Naah, Rainbow, ya gotta give her some time. She’ll warm up, ah guarantee it. Ya said this needs ta go to Twilight’s library, right? Well, lead the way, pardner... ’sides, I think ah’m supposed to help you.”

“Yeah! Come on, let’s get going! We’ve got a lot of work to do!” Rainbow Dash said, as she and Applejack headed towards Twilight’s tree, and to set up the party.


We just want to get there, find Rainbow Dash and go eat our chocolate cake in peace. Does sister have any idea how difficult it is to see at this time of the day? Luna thought, the chariot carrying her zipping past clouds as Celestia’s sun slowly waned into the evening sky.

The two of Celestia’s guard-pegasi weren’t terribly keen about taking Luna, but they knew better than to defy the order of the Princess, and merely proceeded in their job. Ponyville came into view faster than the Night Princess believed it would, as the two guards began their measured descent. Their landing was a location that they most associated with Ponyville: Twilight Sparkle’s library.

Luna stepped out of the carriage part, and walked to speak to the two pegasi. “Now, I am here to retrieve Rainbow Dash... and once we have her, we are to return to Canterlot with the greatest of haste. Is that understood, gentlecolts?”

“Yes, ma’am!” was the prompt reply given by the white stallions, their armor gleaming in the waning beams of the sun. Luna approached the Library, but felt something hold her back. No... we do not wish to be seen any more than we already have been so far. We will leave a note. Conjuring up her magic, she left a scroll with her seal sitting on the doorstep of the Library, and returns to the chariot.

As she walked back, she noticed a rainbow trail streaking away from the Library. The spectrum was not vanishing quickly, leaving a long ribbon of a path by which to track the cyan pegasus. There she is. “She is not here. We have spotted her in the sky; quickly, before she gets away from us.”

That was fast, both of the stallions thought as Luna climbed back into the chariot. She called out to them to take off to the sky, in quick chase of the trail of the spectrum that was starting to dissipate.

Down below, Twilight Sparkle had heard some noise outside and went to investigate, on the off chance that Pinkie had arrived earlier than she had said she was going to get off of her duty shift. She opened the door to her house and found a small scroll on the doormat. “Hello? What’s this?” Twilight looked at the wrapped parchment, and discovered that it had just been dropped here, as if something had caught the attention of the giver. That’s odd... normally Spike would receive a message like this, not have it hoof-delivered. Well, might as well open it and see what the Princess has for me now.

“Twilight Sparkle,

We are sorry for not having the time to meet with you directly, but the importance of the matter made that type of contact impossible. Please assure that we have the situation well in hoof, and that there is no reason for you to concern yourself with our need for Rainbow Dash. When the time is right, we will explain everything to you.

- Princess Luna”

Twilight Sparkle could barely believe what it was she had just read, and had to reread it a couple of times to make sense out of it. But... what’s going on in Canterlot that Princess Celestia doesn’t want to tell me about? And why did she send Princess Luna, so quickly after having just returned from her banishment on the moon?

She walked back inside of her house/library, with Applejack looking at her, a sort of confused look on her face. “You alright, Twi? You look a little bewilder’d. Oh, Dash said she needed t’ run back to her house for somethin’, she won’t be but a coupl’ minutes.”

The purple unicorn walked over slowly, displaying the note that had been left by Princess Luna. “Here... I just found this on the doorstep. You wouldn’t believe who wrote it.” She levitated the letter in front of the farmer pony, allowing for her to read it.

Applejack’s eyes focused on the few lines of text. As she saw the signature, her eyes widened and a very concerned look formed on her face. “You... ya mean that Princess Luna’s gonna... ponynap Rainbow?”

“I don’t know what it means right now, Applejack. For now we should just focus on Fluttershy’s party... and tell Pinkie that something came up and Dash couldn’t make it.” Twilight’s expression was one more of bewilderment, confused about two things: one, why this hasn’t been sent the normal method by delivery in a spark of green flame as all the messages that she had received from Princess Celestia had been previously; but secondly, and far much more concern raising--why it was that Luna, who had just been released from a thousand-year imprisonment on the moon, was in such a hurry to have a need for one of the Elements of Harmony.

“Ah dunno, Twi... it’s gonna be kind of hard t’ pay attention to this party if’n Nightmare--I mean, Princess Luna’s headin’ off to make away with Rainbow Dash!” Applejack said, her wariness of the situation starting to eek away at her festive mood.

“I’ll write Princess Celestia now. Luna hasn’t been back long enough to completely trust that she’s free of all of the effects of Nightmare Moon. I understand your concern, Applejack, but let’s try to focus on Fluttershy and her party--and trust that Princess Luna isn’t up to something sinister without Celestia’s knowledge.”

“Alright, Twi. I’ll need to go fetch a ladder now that Dash isn’t here to help.” And likely won’t be back tonight, if’n Luna’s up to somethin’. AJ thought to herself as she walked to the door and ran out it, leaving Twilight alone.

The unicorn mare galloped up the staircase, calling for Spike and levitating some parchment and a quill.

“Dear Princess Celestia:

I received a scroll earlier this evening from your sister, Princess Luna. I am concerned as to why I was not informed about her sudden visit, as well as to the specific reason she needs to speak with Rainbow Dash. Princess, I would be a poor student if I said that I was not afraid all of the evil that Nightmare Moon was has not totally left the presence of your sister. I sincerely hope my fears are horribly misplaced, and this is a simple misunderstanding. Please write back quickly with some sort of explanation to put both my heart and mind at ease.

Your faithful student,
-Twilight Sparkle”

“Spike, please send this. It’s incredibly urgent.”

The small dragon nodded, holding the scroll out and using his magic fire to send it to Canterlot.

I can only hope, Princess, that we’re making far too much of this than is actually happening.


Rainbow Dash was rummaging around her cloud home, looking for the gift that she had misplaced. “Oh, man... this is not what I needed to have happen. I can’t believe that I totally forgot I left Fluttershy’s birthday present here! And I hate ditching out on Applejack like that. It’s so not like me. Where is it...?”

The cyan pegasus was so caught up in her search, she barely noticed the knocking on the door outside until it became intense. “Hang on a second, I’m coming!” She pushed a blanket off of a chair, revealing the previously camouflaged present, neatly wrapped with colorful paper and a decently tied bow that even Rarity would be impressed by. “Ah, there it is!” Now through with her search, Rainbow Dash walked over to the door and opened it.

On the outside of her home’s entryway was an alicorn mare, a dark blue coat with symbols of crescent moons located on her jewelry and adorning her flank. There was a very business-like appearance on her face, which shone with the brilliance of all of the stars now starting to slowly be seen in the waning moments of the daylight.

“Hello. Are you the one known as Rainbow Dash?” the mare asked with a power she had never bore witness to before.

“Depends on who wants to know. You remind me of somepony that I know... wait! I do know you, Nightmare Moon!” Loyalty’s current vessel got into a very defensive stance, wings drawn out as if she were going to force the princess away with her flying capacity if the need arose.

Luna sighed. “No. We are no longer known by that name. We are... Princess Luna, Rainbow Dash. Please, time is fleeting; we need for you to come with us immediately.” The alicorn turned to her chariot, motioning for Dash to come with her.

“I’m not going anywhere with you! I don’t trust you one little bit, Princess!” Dash’s voice was brash and defiant. Thoughts were shooting through her mind of whether or not she shouldn’t slam the door in the alicorn’s face, grab Fluttershy’s present and return to Ponyville with the highest degree of haste possible.

“Please, Rainbow Dash, it is very important. Our sister recommended you, so we are not about to debate her wisdom. Now, please, get in the chariot.” Luna’s patience seemed to be wearing a little thin, the thought of having to convince Rainbow Dash that it was in her best interest to go with her a hurdle that the Night Princess did not expect to need to jump over.

“Wait a minute... Princess Celestia sent you? If whatever this is about is so important, why didn’t she send somepony else to come and get me?” Rainbow Dash asked almost incredulously, unable to come to grips with the reality of her being needed on such short notice.

An icy stare met the pegasus’ most recent question. “Listen to us, Rainbow Dash. You must come with us now. We do not have any time for more questioning of the orders of our sister. Now, we will say again--get in the chariot, or you will be dragged into it by our guards!” The younger alicorn was quite tired of being ignored and spelled out simply what she was going to do with Rainbow Dash. We are hoping that she will not be this difficult to deal with the whole of the time she is in Canterlot!

Rainbow Dash never enjoyed being told what she was or wasn’t going to do. However, she sized up Luna one time more and came to the conclusion that fighting her or resisting more was not going to end up well for her. “Fine... I’ll come with you, Princess.” She walked out her door, closing it behind her and leaving Fluttershy’s present sitting on the chair. Darnit! Now I can’t give Fluttershy her birthday present. With the slightest degree of hesitancy, she walked inside of the modestly sized chariot, looking back toward her home.

“Is something the matter?” The softening of Luna’s tone was a little strange for Rainbow Dash, but she dismissed it and answered the question.

“It’s my friend Fluttershy’s birthday party today. I mean, we went to school together, and I wanted this party to be a really big surprise--and now it looks like I’m going to miss it. I wish I hadn’t forgotten her present here... who knows, maybe if I had paid a little more attention, I wouldn’t have run into you.” The superficial dig towards Luna fell to the wayside, as she walked up to the side of Rainbow Dash.

“Do not worry, Rainbow Dash. We will see to it that your present is delivered to Fluttershy. For now, we must depart for Canterlot.” She called out to the stallions at the front, and within a matter of moments, Ponyville and Rainbow Dash’s cloud home began to grow smaller and smaller in the distance.

Bye, Ponyville. I hope I’ll see you again.