• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,088 Views, 25 Comments

Life-Led - Trevor Rain



A land of danger is the destination of Dash, one she doesn't understand.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,088

Chapter 9

The pounding of hooves and the laboring of breath was all that Applejack allowed herself to hear as she ran alongside Rainbow Dash. Neither tried to gain a lead on the other, neither wanting to leave the other behind but both wanting the same thing, and that was to reach a destination that would prove their savior.

The thick grassed cut at their hides like a thousand blunt needles as they ran, but it was just a discomfort that was to be ignored for the goal that was ahead. The sun would soon be setting, and Applejack wasn't sure if she would be able to locate the Jacklyn Rose by night, even with the with the light of the waning full moon. Her and Skye had made no attempts to conceal the presence of the cutter for they were both just happy to find dry land alive.

A distant roar caused them both to stop in unison. All the speed in the world meant nothing if they were seen. Crouching low in the grass, the two brought their gaze back behind them. Above and around the cliff where the fight with the Gryphon took place, there were a dozen or so of the fallen's kin in flight. There was one that seemed to clash with the others, only to be thrown back. The figure in the distance then turned round and started making a straight line for the two strangers of the land.

It was being followed, flanked on both sides as it tried to get away. Applejack couldn't understand why Gryphons would attack one another, but she now understood Dash's fear of them. They were fast, powerful, and ruthless in the air as they dived and lashed out at the fleeing flyer. Applejack stole a glance at Rainbow Dash and found her eyes to be locked onto the fight. She tried to gauge her feelings at the moment, but could not read her expression. There was not fear, not exactly, if anything the natural flyer was curious at exactly how a bird of prey moved through the sky.

Applejack's own thoughts were simply of worry. They were getting closer, the fleeing Gryphon now obviously wounded was still coming in a straight direction that was too close to their own course for her to feel comfortable. Then the three began to dive.

Applejack took the stetson from her head and shoved it onto Dash's head. She let out a cry of protest, but feeling Applejack's weight bear her down prone into the grass silenced any protest she might of had. She had no apology. A cerulean blue Pegasus with a mane the color of the brightest rainbow stuck out like a sore hoof in the wilderness setting. The tan Earth pony was more able to blend in with the darker color of the grass.

The grass bent with the wind that sliced through as the flyers flew past. A cry of pain, an impact, and soon there were only two that filled the skies which circled around the grass, looking for their selfsame prey.

Applejack pressed down on Dash harder, stifling any sound she might let out, but there was none. What Applejack felt was trembling and what she smelled was fear. There would be no surviving an encounter with two of the beasts at once. They would be slain almost instantly and left to be food for a clan of bloodthirsty hunters, hundreds of miles away from home and from family that would never find the bodies of the ones they once love.

Applejack's mind went to her sister and to her brother. Both of whom said little to protest her decision to leave, knowing the risk was the life of a friend that might as well had been family. Family, if the stubborn Pegasus ever allowed herself to open up and accept help. Didn't she realize that there were those that were willing to bring her into their home, to take care of her like she were kin?

She had to live alone out to where nopony would be able to bother her. She had to be one who put on airs of being indestructible and free, of not needing help. It was obvious that she wanted to be loved and adored, yet she lived so far away. Why couldn't she realize that there were some ponies out there who loved her, why couldn't she realize that she was like a sister to me?

Worry, pain and fear is all Applejack could sense from Dash whenever she thought of her living alone. Now she knew part of that came from the lack of closure with her parents. She had yet to find the true joy that came from a loving family that would do anything to make sure you were happy.

This would never have happened if you let people in. Stubborn mare.

Dash didn't deserve to die. She would not allow it while this soul was in agony, that would be the greatest sin to the world.

One of the fliers let out a cry, and Applejack was sure they were spotted among the grass, but there were no sharp talons or biting beak. A return cry sounded, further than the other one. Applejack allowed herself a glance upward to see the two Gryphons were flying back towards the peak from which they came. They must have given up on the third one.

"Are they gone?" Came a voice from below.

Applejack let out a surprised breath, unaware she was holding it. She slowly stood up, letting Dash rise on her hooves and shake her head. She reached up with a hoof to retrieve the stetson off her head before looking down at the cherished hat. Applejack extended a hoof, and Rainbow silently reached past the offered hoof to place the hat on Applejack's head. She gave a smile, but Rainbow looked worried.

"Applejack, you're crying. You weren't that scared, where you?" Said Dash, voice cracking as she tried to speak with her usual arrogance.

She reached up to touch her eyes, finding moisture. "Ah might have been." Though of the Gryphons, she was not.

A sound in the grass had them both jump and face the origin of the noise. A second later, the wounded Gryphon appeared through, trailing crimson that stained the blades around her. She had an arm wrapped around her side, talon stained with blood. Gilda looked to Dash and Applejack before opening her mouth to speak, but pain distorted her features and brought out only a cry of pain as she fell to the ground in front of them.

"Gilda!" Dash exclaimed, moving to the fallen avian's side.

"Gilda?"

Applejack's question would have to be answered later. Dash was already attempting to pull up the fallen Gryphon, but was having little success and was obviously hurting from her own injuries as Dash strained at her weight. Applejack quickly lent a hoof and raised Gilda to a standing position, but quickly ducked under her when it became obvious that she was too wounded to stand. She bore her weight and shifted it to accommodate her size. There was no question.

They were taking her with them. If Gilda had any protests, she was incapable of delivering them.

Years of hauling baskets and carts full of apples along side a regular regimen of exercise allowed Applejack to bear Gilda's weight and still make a brisk pace towards the setting sun. They broke the cover of the grass and saw the straight shot towards the shore. There was no cover between them and the water, but a quick glance at the sky showed little danger of being seen, but the feeling of urgency didn't lax. Neither of them wanted to be here longer than another minute, and Gilda was drifting in and out of consciousness. Applejack knew that the next time Gilda drifted, it could be her last. They needed to get her onto the boat and treat her wounds.

As luck would have it, if it even existed in the first place, the Jacklyn Rose was in plain view before too long. The sails adorning the front were pockmarked with rips, but the main was largely intact. They had moored the vessel onto the sandy beach, not having any place to properly moor it. Applejack quickly trotted up and pushed Gilda onto the deck, letting her roll onto the floor with a heavy groan.

Dash began to jump up and board herself, but Applejack stopped her. "Dash, Ah need ya to push as hard as ya can. Don't stop pushing till ya hit the water."

Dash gave a nod, then Applejack ran around the the back of the Rose, biting hard on one of the lines that was tied to the aft. She pulled and gave everything she could muster into moving that boat. The sand moved beneath her hooves, making a secure grip almost impossible, but she continued to pull. Eventually, the Rose began to move. Applejack could hear Dash's grunts of effort on the other side, and knew that she was also giving it her all.

Applejack's rear hooves sunk in the soaked sediment when she reached water which splashed around her. The saltwater found the laceration on her face and stung horribly, and could barely manage to pull them out of the vise-like suction of the wet sand, but she ignored the pain and pulled her hooves out of the sand with a grunt. The boat finally found buoyancy in the water, and floated effortlessly.

Knowing her job was done, she abandoned the rope and climbed aboard the Jackln Rose as it found buoyancy in the water. Seconds later, the blue Pegasus effortlessly jumped on board, clearing the edge with a single flap of her wings. Applejack made her way to the helm within a few bounds and shoved the steering hard to port. Dash had to duck to keep herself from being brained by the boom that swung around. The large mainsail caught the western wind, filling it to capacity.

Applejack stood her ground as the Jacklyn Rose gave a jolt. Dash wasn't so lucky, and quickly found herself acquainted with the wooden deck of the Jacklyn Rose. Applejack paid the Pegasus little worry. She'd get used to it.

What did concern her was the Gryphon that they had stolen away. Applejack ran over and tried to find where she was hurt. Gilda still held onto her side, trying in vain to stem the flow of blood from a large gash at her side. There didn't appear to be any worse injuries, but they could have been masked by the large amount of blood that soaked into her fur and feathers.

Dash had came up next to Gilda on unsteady hooves, looking from her to Applejack. "What do we do?" she asked, blue face seeming to turn a tinge of green at the sight of blood. Applejack grabbed Dash's forehooves and quickly placed them on the cut. Dash almost recoiled.

"Keep pressure on that, Rainbow. We need to stop the bleedin'". Applejack released Dash's hooves only after receiving a quiet nod.

She quickly dashed into the cabin, looking for some sort of kit that held the items that she would need. Applejack had seen a wound like this once before when her brother Macintosh had fallen near some sharp rocks. Applejack remembered panicking at the sight of all that blood, not sure what to do. She had gotten her brother home where Granny Smith said to press tightly on the wounded area to try and stop the bleeding, or to at least slow it. But some wounds needed more than pressure and time to heal. That was one of those cuts.

And so was this one.

They had sent Applebloom into town to get one of the nurses to Sweet Apple Acres. They didn't want to risk moving Macintosh, and knew that a pony could move much faster if they weren't carrying the weight of one a large stallion. Nurse Redheart came, having the most experience as an emergency medical technician, and did something that made Applejack a little queasy just thinking about now.

Applejack overturned a box, spilling its contents on the floor. Moving them around with her hoof, found what she was looking for.

After sending Applebloom to her room, Redheart took from her kit, a needle. She threaded the needle with what she said was a special kind of thread that would eventually dissolve into a pony's skin after a couple of weeks. Applejack didn't understand what she meant by that till the nurse started her work. Movement by movement, she pulled the needle through Big Mac's hide, stitching the flesh, forcing the cut closed. Applejack watched, and learned, out of morbid curiosity. Her brother said not a word through the whole ordeal, but didn't decline holding his sister's hoof while Redheart finished.

That cut, along with a few bruised ribs, kept Macintosh from working all through Applebuck season. Applejack didn't have the heart to let anypony help her. Would have shamed Big Mac for him to know that his injury forced her into a job that was beyond her abilities.

"Dash, Ah need you to go and tie the wheel, then I need y'all to come back and help me here." Said Applejack after making her way out and back at Gilda's side. Dash looked down at Gilda before nodding back at Applejack. She pressed Gilda's talons onto her own wound before quickly trotting off. Gilda was coherent enough to press on her wound, but her eyes looked distant. She had lost a great deal of blood.

Applejack didn't have any sutures or line that could do the job, but she had the next best thing. Swinging her head, she bit down onto the long strands of her mane and tugged out a couple dozen strands of hair with a yank. She had just finished looping the thread through the needle when Dash came back.

"What's the needle for?" She looked down at Gilda, then back at Applejack. When she had made the connection, she looked a little sick. Applejack shook her head. "Ah hate it, but there's no other way. Now, see that bucket over there? With the rope around the handle? Toss that thing over and get me some water. Now hurry." She didn't wait to see Dash run to fetch the water. Instead, she crouched down to start her grim work. She started at the end of the gash, moving one of Gilda's claws, she inserted the needle with her hoof and brought it through the other side with her mouth.

Gilda let out small grunts of pain, but the needle's prick was minimal compared the the pain still coming from the long and wide gash. Dash returned with the bucket of water, though still unsteady on her hooves. She looked at Applejack's hooves as they worked with the same curiosity that Applejack had shown when the same had to be done to her brother.

"Dash, Ah can't see what Ah'm doin' here. Pour some of that water on it. Then hold her down. It's going to hurt."

Dash stepped back, though almost fell when the ship pitched. "AJ, I can't-"

"This here cut is going to kill her if we don't get it closed."

"But it's salt water. It's like torture!"

Applejack's concentration broke, having her end up with one crooked stitch among the others she couldn't see. She cursed low under her breath. "Look, That cut's gonna be infected less we clean it with somethin'. That salt's going to clean it better than anythin' we have right now. Ah lost the kit when Skye an' Ah almost went under on the way here. Now quit starin' and do it!"

Dash hesitated, but one look at Gilda's distant eyes convinced her that it was the only option. Dash moved a hoof over Gilda's torso, staying well away from the gash Applejack was stitching. After placing the majority of the weight down on the avian, Dash tipped the bucket onto the cut. Gilda bucked when the water made contact and washed the blood away. Dash held on as hard as she could, pouring until the blood around the sutures was gone. Applejack quickly resumed her work. Every time blood would cover the cut, Dash would pour a little bit more water.

Applejack brought the needle through one last time before tying it off and cutting the excess with her teeth. Gilda had passed out not long after they had started and it was only the soft sound of the Gryphon's steady breathing that betrayed life past the ordeal. She had lost a large portion of blood.

Redheart liked to talk when she worked. Almost like it kept her mind off the fact she was sewing another pony together. She said how blood loss would cause a pony to be tired for a few weeks before the body replenished it's supply. For all that Gilda had lost, Applejack expected her not to wake for a while. She hoped that Gilda had not lost too much, for there was nothing they could do out so far from civilization.

Wiping the sweat from her brow, Applejack looked over to Dash who was giving a thousand yard stare out to the ocean. Applejack then noticed the size of her irises were off a bit. She had taken enough apples to the head to know what that was from. She reached out and prodded Dash with a hoof who then gave a slight jump.

"Y'all alright?" asked Applejack, concerned.

"I'm fine."

Ya sure? You got hit pretty hard back there. Ah didn't think you'd get up after-"

"I said I'm fine!" Dash reaffirmed, wincing at the sound of her own voice. Applejack could guess that she was having one powerful headache. "Look, let's... let's just get her inside. Is there a bed in that thing over there?"

Applejack didn't push the matter, but laid next to Gilda, nodding towards Dash to ppush the Gryphon onto her back. With a grunt of effort, Dash managed to roll her onto Applejack who lifted her with relative ease. She walked across the deck of the boat with Dash next to her, trying to keep Gilda balanced as they went down the steps into the cabin, laying her onto the bed inside. Gilda didn't wake.

Dash quickly made her way back outside the boat, and Applejack could hear a retching sound. She quickly made her way up to find her friend's head over the side, relieving whatever sick she might have. Applejack had seen her friend fly stunts that dropped into tight spins that even made the Earth pony nauseous just looking at it. She didn't figure for Dash to be one who was seasick.

But looking at the deck where Gilda laid she could see the blood stained wood that was mixed with sea water gave a sickening swirl of red hues as it floated around the deck.

Blood.

Applejack silently stepped to her friend's side and offered a comforting hoof to her back, finding her own stomach giving twists at the sight of Dash's retching. After Dash finished, she slumped on her haunches to the deck, wiping her mouth but saying nothing. The two shared a few moment of silence, the wind blowing their manes. They felt the boat move with the rhythm of the ocean, listing side to side as the shape attempted to master the elements, and keep the Jacklyn Rose on a straight and steady course.

Dash broke the relative silence. the words inside her fought to escape and to embrace the simple freedom.

"I found them."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _




The words hung in the air, tangible things that had weight. Releasing them brought a sort of relief from her mind, losing that burden. But the words hung around her as a reminder of what she went through in the past week, and also of the cost.

She would think about the cost later.

But there was more weight, more words that hung on her her mind, that had been there for years as questions that needed to be set free with answers. There was never a point in her past where she felt comfortable enough asking these questions aloud, Right now, after nearly dying and losing hope to finding that hope again when one of her friends risked her life to come to a rescue.

She didn't even brag about it. She didn't say anything, though Applejack was sitting right next to her not saying a word, just looking at her, silently pleading for her to continue.

"They... they were sent over to scout the land over here. I guess they came and never went back, or couldn't. Applejack... I think that's where I was born. I..."

She stopped. Her pride had been the barrier that kept her from revealing much to her friends, even going so far to keep any sort of introspective thought from forming before. For a moment, she berated herself. Why was she acting like such a little filly in front of Applejack? It wasn't cool, it wasn't...

Any sort of face she could have save was evaporated when she had went on this quest with barely a thought to her own safety nor the reaction of her friends. Dash's speed betrayed her. It allowed her to travel so far so fast that she never had a moment to think when all this came crashing down on her mind. She had become good at burying the negative feelings thinking of her parents brought. She was unprepared for when the news finally came of where they would be. All the thoughts and feelings surfaced into one moment of rage and questions. Acting was better than waiting and dealing with the hurricane of pain.

Alone.

And despite her being an obvious featherbrain, despite the fact she had kept this information from her friends, one came to help her. Dash looked at Applejack, and found only a caring in her eyes, maybe even an understanding.

It occurred to Dash that Applejack may not care if she were the strongest of flyers or the coolest under pressure. For all Applejack cared, she could be weak, helpless, and talentless. A voice in the back of her head tried to confirm these facts, but it was squashed immediately.

"I wanted to know. I wanted... to know why they left me." Tears started to form in Dash's eyes, and she tried to turn away from her friend to hid her head, but was stopped by Applejack's embrace. The Earth pony hugged Dash, and the last remnants of her strength left her. The combination of her injuries, her realization of almost dying...

And the fact that the death of another pony was directly related to her actions. There was no room for pride. She buried her head into Applejack's shoulder and cried, shedding tears that were long held back by denial and hidden by pride and bravado. She could never fly fast enough to escape, only forget.

"They... died over there. I still don't know how I made it to Equestria, but they died. They could have... could have died saving me for all I know."

Applejack hugged Dash tighter after she finished, silently saying that she was going to be alright, they would be alright. Dash could feel moisture on her coat in small drops. Was Applejack crying? Before she could answer, they heard a crash from the cabin of the Rose. The loud sound broke the two friends apart as they both quickly made their way across the deck towards the cabin. Applejack arrived first, for Dash had stumbled along the way.

Racing down the stairs, Applejack found Gilda on the floor tangled in blankets. Next to here were a few broken jars of a foul smelling liquid that Skye had offered Applejack the day of their departure. She was panting while trying to push herself up onto all fours, but failing at each attempt, falling back to the wooden floor of the cabin. Applejack leaned down to try and help her up but as soon as she made contact, Gilda lashed out with a claw. She swung too wide and missed as Applejack took a step back from the wounded avian.

Dash spoke out, "Gilda! Get a hold of yourself! We're not hurting you!"

Her words gave the gryphon pause. She stopped and craned her neck to look at the two battered ponies next to her. Gilda's breathing began to calm as she took in her surroundings, trying to understand where she was and how she came to be here. Gilda's eyes went wide as she seemed to recall the last memory, her claw coming to her side to find the wound that was stitched together. She flinched at the touch.

She looked at Dash, but she just shook her head. Applejack stepped closer and offered a hoof. Gilda looked at the offer for a moment, before grudgingly accepting the help. Applejack pulled Gilda up to a standing position and slowly aimed her back at the bed. Gilda said nothing as she layed back down onto the far from soft mattress. After settling in and taking a moment to catch her breath, she looked to Dash and spoke,

"Never thought you'd be in a hurry to save me and all since I said I'd have to kill you if we met again." she said in a dry, humorless tone.

Dash had a retort in mind, but bit her tongue, instead saying, "Couldn't just leave you there."

Gilda looked to Applejack, "We on a boat or something?" Applejack nodded.

Gilda closed her eyes and scowled. "Better be going far away from that forsaken place. I'd rather die than go back."

Silence filled the cabin, only broken by a question that had come to Dash when she had last seen the avian.

"Gilda. You were hurt before we met in the tower, weren't you?"

"Didn't I say it was none of your business?"

"Who dragged you like a bag of feathers and put you back together?"

"I would guess your orange friend here. Even a moonstuck Luna could tell you're a featherbrain when it comes to first aid. Remember back in the academy when Cloud Chaser got nicked by that broken glass? They thought you were flying off to get the nurse, but we both know you couldn't stand to see the blood."

"Will you two cut it out!?" shouted a voice in the middle, presence all but forgotten. Silence came immediately. Dash threw her head to the side in frustration before turning and walking out of the cabin. Gilda watched Dash leave before turning her head to regard the orange Earth pony for a moment before asking.

"You're the one who did this?" she asked, putting her claw back over the cut and blood-stained hair. Applejack simply nodded. Gilda continued, "I guess you guys were also the one to kill that Gryphon over by weeping peak? One ugly as the tail end of a manticore, also missing an eye?"

Applejack said nothing to this, simply laying down on the floor, avoiding eye contact with the avian. So, he had died in the fall after all.

"If you did, I need to thank you for that too."

Applejack broke her gaze with the wooden floor and turned it onto the Gryphon, slightly taken aback by the overture. Gilda met her eyes with coldness reflected within.

"The prick had the right to own me. They do things a bit differently over there. The males stand high and pretend their important and the women get to do whatever the men want, only tolerated because we might make them a son some day. That dweeb was trying to put me off to any desperate who would take me, "She let out a chuckle. "Tried. None of them wanted anything to do with a girl who kept her claws sharp. Gilda paused, and regarded her raised, blood-stained claw. "Though some would hit back..."

Gilda trailed off, taking a moment to regard her own dried blood that adorned her claw. She let her arm fall down, choosing to lay her head back onto the mattress. A single tear went down her cheek before disappearing among the feathers. Applejack thought that she had fallen asleep, but Gilda spoke once more. The whisper seemed more to herself than to anypony around her, but Applejack heard, and couldn't help but sorrow for the lone Gryphon.

"Worst. Brother... ever."

Applejack waited a few moments before the steading rise and fall of Gilda's chest betrayed her exhaustion and sleep. Quietly, she stood and made her way through the cabin's stairs and back out onto the deck. The sun was nearing its climax and the waves reflected the golden light, turning the sea into a mass of yellow beauty. Applejack stood and stared at the unexpected beauty of the sky, but found her self more or less numb. She didn't turn her head when the sound of hoofsteps came from behind her.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack stood next side by side, facing the twilight. If the pair walked home and said they came from the depths of tartarus and back, anypony would have believed them. Haggard, worn, and bloodied. Applejack born the marks and scratches of her encounters with the ground, the bruises of when she had been slammed against the decks of the all but stable Jackln Rose. Last, her face bore the red line and dried blood of her battle wound when fighting the Gryphon. There would be a scar, and all those who see it would question, while serving a reminder for the ordeal.

Dash looked no less haggard. Fur was matted with dirt and mud from days spent among the forest. The cuts from her first encounter with Gilda were healing, but were obvious around her whole body. Her wing was still a sickening tinge of yellow right at the joint, obviously still causing pain. The pain was always the lesser of her worries with such an injury, the hurt of not being able to fulfill her birthright of the sky had always been her greatest sorrow.

But now, it was different. The pain branched off from it's focus on her and came in from those around here. Dash looked at Applejack, staring at the setting sun that led the way home. She thought over the words she heard Gilda say, she hadn't strayed far.

And the stallion that stayed. She thought of how she didn't know him, or owed the colt anything, but he had risked everything in traveling to help find her.

Though Applejack knew Dash wasn't the reason he chose to leave.

Dash became aware then. Like many do in their lives. The suffering of others was apparent, and it affected her. Suddenly, her own pain seemed less. The warm feeling that came in the forest but had been absent all this time returned. Dash knew then that what she was feeling was right, she was meant to be this way. That she was happy to be alive, despite everything.

"Applejack." Dash waited for some recognition, but the tan mare gave none. She stepped closer and placed a careful hoof on her friend. "Applejack. I... Thank you."

"I didn't do it for you to thank me." Came slow, steady, and unaccented words from the Earth pony. Dash retreated from the seemingly callous remark, taking a step away.

Applejack continued. "Ah did it because you needed me, Rainbow. There shouldn't be any doubt in that. You go do some bullheaded thing like this, and it causes me to worry enough to make me darn angry at you for being two bushels short of a harvest."

She turned to Dash, but there was no anger in her eyes, only a pleading sadness. "Ah dun' do these things for anypony expectin' a reward or thanks. There shouldn' be a condition to helpin' somepony who needs help. But No matter how Ah try, some ponys can't be helped unless they want it. Why didn't y’all tell me you were hurtin' about your folks?

Dash couldn't look her friend in the eye but kept her eyes downcast, not able to say a thing. This time, it was Applejack who put forth a hoof. She raised Dash's face so that they're eyes met.

"You went lookin' for family, but what you don't seem to understand, sugarcube, is that you have a family in Ponyville. Twilgiht, Rarity, Pinkie, even Fluttershy is willin' to do what it takes to make sure you're happy. You could ave' told them, and they'd go the end of Equestria for you. Celestia knows Ah went further."

Tears were lining Dash's eyes as Applejack spoke, but for as hard as it was for her, Dash did not turn her gaze away from the piercing green of the mare in front of her.

"You're kin to me, can't ya' understand that? Rainbow? Ah love you just the same as Ah would my sister; but horseapples sugarcube, you don't let anypony help ya when y’all are hurting. You don't let them see. That's the same as lyin', and it hurts everypony in the end, not just you."

Tears were flowing from both of the companions at this time. Applejack stepped forward and drew both her forehooves around Dash's neck in a tight embrace that was returned in full.

Tearfully, Applejack sniffed and let out these words. "You're loved, Sugarcube. Y’all just got to let us love you, we don't need a reason to."


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Night had come in full, and the moon shone brightly despite the evidence of it's waning nature. Shadows and light played upon the Jacklyn Rose as it continued towards it's destination to the known waters of Equestria. Nary a sound was heard as it glided about the black-gilded ocean except the pull and strain of the ropes as the mast pulled the boat ever forward. The silent sounds were not to be disturbed, even by the one who was still active on the deck above.

Applejack quietly stepped from board to board, having volunteered for the night watch. Each of the survivors were exhausted from their ordeals, but Applejack insisted that she would keep vigil for the ship that night. Dash had made little effort to protest and fell asleep on the deck not more than a few steps away from the cabin's entrance, lulled by the cool night wind and the soft rocking of the Rose.

What could not be lulled was the tireless mind of the orange mare. Applejack knew she would find no sleep nor solace that night until her curiosity was sated. Waiting an hour after she had seen her friend retire for the night, Applejack left the helm and silently moved across the wooden boards that made up the deck of the Rose. She expected to have trouble moving past Dash who had positioned herself so close to the entrance, but the blue Pegasus was not to be seen.

Applejack reached the cabin and looked in to find that Dash had moved. She laid down at the hoof of the bed where a wounded Gilda slept. Seems the loyal Pegasus felt the need to take a watch of her own. Applejack couldn't help but betray herself a smile at the sight.

Such a contrast to the hectic journey that they had made, but it was hard to call it a success. They had lost one.

The smile vanished, and with it a small tear. "Had what he said been true?" She thought to herself. Her own instincts and understanding of honesty had been repeating the same message of "Yes" in her mind whenever she had asked herself this question, but Applejack would not be satisfied until she saw...

There, protruding out from under the mattress which Gilda rested on was the end of a book that was tied together with a black binding. Stepping over the Pegasus, Applejack reached in and grabbed the bound item and pulled it free of it's hidden place with her teeth. Gingerly stepping backwards, she made her way past the cabin's stairs and back onto the deck.

There was light from the moon, but not nearly enough to read. She made her way back to the helm and slipped inside the small box that housed the steering. Setting the book down for just a moment to strike the lantern for light which flickered to life. While reaching down to pick the book up, a small, white object fell from between the pages and onto the deck below. A letter.

Applejack lifted the letter and glanced over it's off-white texture. It was unremarkable in every way except for a small seal which had kept the letter closed, but was not broken in two. Looking closer, she could just make out the faded lettering on the front.

"To Raptured Skye, with love."

Applejack held her breath. The book momentarily forgotten, she found herself carefully pulling out the worn paper from the inside, taking an almost religious patience in putting the envelope to the side. The page extracted was thrice folded and betrayed a neat and small cursive writing that seemed to have a very reserved flair, unique as if they were words directly transcribed from the air after spoken. By the flickering light, Applejack was able to read:To my dearest Rapture,

How long has it been since we shared our love and our life? My thoughts continue to turn to you and the indescribable depth of your eyes. Again, memory betrays our first cadence together on the shores of Manehatten where you had charmed my soul with your stories of the sea. It brings a smile to my face to think of the world as it is could once ever have been created by a simple lovers quarrel...

But again, how oft is life created through many of such "lovers quarrels"?

She's beautiful, Skye. A gift from fate which beauty seems to give cause for the heavens to stop in silence for a time. A child of Earth whose eyes shine in an emerald green like the shores where the sea touches the land. She is your shore, Skye, She's my Song.

But I cannot keep this song, my love. My life leaves very little respite for raising this composition. She deserves a composer most worthy, but I fear neither one of us may qualify. I'm going to leave her with my mother, Skye, though it could mean you shall never see her for that time. My family had made it clear on it's opinion of us, love, but they do not understand. I simply cannot rival the beauty of your Ocean. She had laid claim to your heart long before I had come into your life and stolen you away from your mistress.

Oh but you should see her.

I received news that your ship shall be arriving soon. I shall be waiting for you as I was that year before.

Signed by your still true love.

Jacklyn Bloom

A drop of water fell upon the page, mingling with the ink that made up the ending signature. Applejack fell back onto her haunches, and as hard as she tried, she could not tear her eyes away from the folded paper in front of her. The words flickered in and out of existence as the lantern's light flickered and waned. Over and over she had read that letter in a paralyzed stupor. Another drop fell.

"It must be raining. The sky must have clouded over and it was raining now. But why does the rain taste like salt?" Applejack asked herself as the letter blurred in front of her.

The numbness had faded, and she could feel the emotions rising to bury her. All at once, the realization was coming down, but she was strong, she could endure. She has endured before...

But even if she could fight the pain by herself, she didn't need to, she didn't have to.

A gentle hoof came around her. She tensed, but seeing the blue Pegasus next to her eased all of her fears instantly. Applejack let the tears flow, quietly letting herself be overcome. Allowing her friend to become the anchor that allowed her to feel without losing herself.

"He was my dad. He was my dad, and we left him there..." Was all she could say.

Dash did not respond, not knowing what to say but also knowing she didn't need to say anything.

How this events could have possibly come together to the point of stumbling across one she thought was lost seemed impossible. There was so little chance of this happening, what could have...?
She thought to his change of heart when he learned her name. Suddenly willing to risk everything he had, including his life, to help a foolish mare on her quest to save a friend who could have already have been dead. A fools errand.

Then his last words came into her mind.

"'I... told you about my talent. I could find things that were lost. Mighty unlucky if I don't want somethin' to be found. You were lost, I didn't want to find you. Reminded me too much of her. Then here you come, pullin' me out of the water and needing me. Fate wanted me to see you, things like this don't happen by accident."

Applejack still didn't understand what he meant by her being 'lost', not could she make much sense of everything else that was happening, but above the turmoil and above the pain, there was a thought that escaped her mind that silenced all others. In the forefront, the thought echoed:

"Who is Jacklyn Bloom? Who is my mother?"

"Is she alive?"

Sky’s question came to her mind after, the one she could not figure out an answer for. The answer now seemed more clear as she understood the terms of her parent’s absence. Yes.

She knew what the answer was now.

Author's Note:

Well, I thought this one would move along faster than the others, then I suddenly had to make it the longest written chapter I've done (this includes one-shots). I wanted it to be rather quick and concise, but ended up being much longer than I had first imagined it.

Just an epilogue, and we're done with this fiction! Woo!

I was having fun through the most part of writing this, but the last section with Applejack reading that letter felt a little weak, like I had a good idea but missed the perfect execution. Could have been due to some exhaustion that I've been dealing with. Feel that I could have done something more with Dash, but I had already pushed the crying-sadness bit a bit far (or so I felt) and didn't want repeated crying sessions. Not sure if I should have even added Dash there, for that was kind of a last-minute edition.

Look forward to a very lengthy blog explaining a ton of notes I took in creating this story, along with original concepts. This went through quite a few changes, looking back...

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope you'll stick with me for future stories (after I finish the last epilogue of this). I think with a new concept will come a better narrative overall. I have so many notes it's probably not even funny >.<.