• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,891 Views, 29 Comments

Dark Tidings - moguera



Behind the scenes of the Lunaverse, something evil lurks.

  • ...
3
 29
 1,891

Epilogue

Epilogue:

Time was the problem. That was our true enemy. After all, no matter how many times we came together and vowed "Never again," we still ended up forgetting the first word of that statement. And so, "Never again," became "Again" and again and again and again...you get the idea. Why was that?

A child sits upon his father's knee and hears about the pain and strife of war. But the son doesn't have his father's experience. He can't understand the visceral impact of actually "being there." But usually, the father can impress hard enough the feelings of pain and despair that conflict brings. But the son of the son has even less of a chance to understand. If he's lucky, maybe his grandfather is still around to share the story. But the distance between them makes it even harder to impress into the child's mind, what a terrible thing war is. By the time the next generation comes around, it is nothing but a distant memory, a lifeless thing only talked about in dry texts on history and reminisced about by people who can only tell the story second-hand anyhow. Another generation further and war becomes little more than an impersonal story. Eventually, recollection fades and it becomes no more than a fable.

Time eats away at our understanding, with the horrors of the conflict becoming more vague and ill-defined with each successive generation. Eventually, we reach the point where we can't appreciate the price that comes with conflict and we turn back to the things our ancestors swore to set aside. We learn our lesson all over again. And then, we forget it again.

But the ponies found a way around that. With their Princesses, they could have someone around to keep the memory alive, to remind each successive generation of the horrors of war and strife and the despair they bring. And maybe that was enough to keep them reminded that the petty divisions among them weren't worth the bloodshed and agony that comes with true conflict. And so, Equestria endured and continues to endure. For, so long as they have one of the Princesses at the helm, the little ponies won't descend back into that same vicious cycle that dogged them in the millennia that came before.

It was Him, no question. He had been the first to ask the question. What if we had someone like the Princesses? What if we had an immortal soul to guide us, to remember for us, to keep us from repeating the same mistake over and over again? It wasn't power that we wanted. We didn't care that Celestia and Luna moved the sun and the moon. We only wanted to ensure that those who came after us wouldn't fall to the vicious cycle that had preyed on us, as it had the ponies, for countless generations before.

At least, that's what He said. Who can say if He was earnest about wanting to save us from ourselves? I can't. But then again, I don't really care. It doesn't matter anyway, because what happened still happened. Celestia and Luna weren't very willing to share the secret to their immortality, perhaps for good reasons, perhaps not. Again, I don't really care.

When He was denied, He went elsewhere to get what He wanted. Maybe that didn't turn out so well for us in the end. But then again, I'm not exactly unhappy with my current lot. Sure, my body is stuck in a pretty nasty place and He is always threatening to do whatever with it. But I get to roam freely and play around with whoever I like; like this poor sap for example...

Hey, wanna make a deal with me?

Comments ( 22 )

1014778 Did the flag ever look like the one from the Maneverse?

1014857
Maybe once, but not in recent memory - certainly not in the past 1,000 years, so I doubt shining Armor would be familiar with it. It's supposed to be a yin-yang, right? You could just call it that, there is a China equivalent somewhere in the world.

Anyway, as to the story itself:

This is much darker than typical Lunaverse fare...as a result, I don't think it can be canonized. It can, of course, be inserted into the list of non-canon Lunaverse stories.

I like chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6. They're all creepy and spooky and horrifying and dark, just what I was expecting. Scorpan comes across as deliciously malicious, and I'm definitely set to learn more about Him (who's name, I'm assuming, beings with "T" and ends with "irek").

But, here we enter the problem...I'm not a big fan of chapter 5. While I appreciate in theory the idea of showing us someone who can easily take on Greengrass and leave him in a cold sweat, well, I feel much as I did after reading Lord of the Rings and encountering Tom Bombadil. I *hate* Bombadil with a fiery passion, because he completely ruins the impact of the One Ring, how it's supposed to be this all-corrupting force.

Shadowlight is basically Tom Bombadil here. Greengrass isn't supposed to be indefatigable by any means, but Shadowlight doesn't just overcome Greengrass, he does it effortlessly, leaving Greengrass looking like a fool rather than the viable threat that he's supposed to be as our Season 1 villain.

Now, since this is going into the non-canon list anyway, you don't have to change anything, but I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter.

1015201 The ultimate point of the confrontation between Greengrass and Shadowlight was that they play in different arenas. Greengrass crossed some boundaries with his scheming, which is what led to the confrontation. Part of the point is to show that, however much power and influence he has in the Night Court, that power only counts for so much in the right areas and under the right circumstances. Shadowlight has a lot of a very different kind of power and Greengrass put himself in the prime position to get a taste of it. But otherwise, Shadowlight can't touch him. It also sets up that, in his own way, Shadowlight has a way of understanding the world that is rather alien to how most ponies see it that can, at times, be as unnerving and threatening as someone like Scorpan.

It doesn't help that Greengrass does not come off as being quite as clever and subtle as he likes to think he is. He has his moments to be sure, but mostly comes across as too heavy-hooved for his own good most of the time. On top of it all, he views politics as The Game. And it's generally pretty upsetting when somepony drives home the notion that it isn't all fun and games and that real lives are in the balance, one of which is his own.

Oh, and for the record, Tom Bombadil is my favorite character from Lord of the Rings. Oh well, to each his own.

1015352
*Hate* Bombadil. It's a testament to how pointless he is that he was excised from the movies without impacting the narrative in the slightest. But I could deal with a pointless character in and of itself; my problem is that he is actually detrimental since he completely undermines the threat of the One Ring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the jolly and happy nature spirit/hermit/Yahweh/whatever he is, and if Tolkien hadn't had the scene of him going "One Ring? Bah! Who needs it?" and tossing it around like it was something from a gumball machine, it'd be fine; if he was just supposed to be something like the last friendly face that Frodo and crew see for a long time without ever bringing the One Ring into it, then that'd be one thing. But as it stands, where he's apparently so friendly that he can play horsehoes with the One Ring? He's the worst part of the book from a narrative standpoint.

It doesn't help that Greengrass does not come off as being quite as clever and subtle as he likes to think he is. He has his moments to be sure, but mostly comes across as too heavy-hooved for his own good most of the time. On top of it all, he views politics as The Game. And it's generally pretty upsetting when somepony drives home the notion that it isn't all fun and games and that real lives are in the balance, one of which is his own.

Again, I understand the point you were trying to make - it's just a point that really, really didn't need to be made, and in fact is detrimental to our ongoing plot since it completely undermines the impact of Greengrass as a villain.

1016324

without impacting the narrative in the slightest

You mean other than resulting in the removal of the part with the barrow wrights where the hobbits get the magic Nazgul slaying short swords? Where Bombadil has to rescue them?

The bit about the One Ring having no power over him is to show a bit about how the ring's corrupting powers works; Bombadil simply lacks any darkness for it to work with showing that it is subversion rather than straight up mind control.

1017212
I don't recall a single Nazgul actually being slain by a hobbit in the books. The Witch-King was momentarily injured by Merry but actually killed by Eowyn, while the remaining eight died with the destruction of the One Ring (okay, technically sort of that's hobbit-inflicted, but no barrow-blades are involved). The only reason we know that Merry could only do that because of the barrow-blades was because Tolkien told us; even still, Eowyn is the one who actually slays the Witch-King with, if I recall, a perfectly ordinary sword - meaning we have no particular reason to think that Merry needed anything other than a perfectly ordinary sword to bring the Witch-King to his knees.

So, in short...yeah, I stand by my point: Bombadil had negligiable impact on the narrative.

The bit about the One Ring having no power over him is to show a bit about how the ring's corrupting powers works; Bombadil simply lacks any darkness for it to work with showing that it is subversion rather than straight up mind control.

That's nice. It still undercuts the impact and fear of the One Ring. We get that it does its thing through subversion and suggetion rather than straight-up mind control; Tolkien was already quite good at getting that point across in the narrative as it stood. So, again: no purpose at best, and actually detrimental to the impact of the One Ring through any meaningful examination of the text.

1017267

The sword made the Witch King vulnerable to normal weapons so that he could die as I recall.

1017324
But note how the only reason we have to think that is because Tolkien told us rather than showed us. I don't think we ever saw the Witch-King really throw down and shrug off hits from Aragorn or Boromir or something.

Actually...that's not true. There was one point where the Witch-King and his heterosexual unlife partners threw down against a mortal man (albeit an abnormally long-lived one) armed with nothing more than a normal sword (for that matter, a broken one at the time if I recall) and a piece of flaming wood. And they ran away.

No, going by what Tolkein showed us in Fellowship, the only other time when they actually fought one-on-one, the Nazgul are most certainly vulnerable to mortal weapons. The only reason we suspect otherwise is because of the Bombadil scene. Excise that scene, and the fact that Merry and Eowyn took down the Witch-King with what appears to be normal swords (since we don't know that Merry's sword is enchanted without the Bombadil bit) still makes sense without needing any additional explanation beyond:

"No man can slay me!"
"I'm a hobbit."
"And I'm a chick."
"Well...shit."

Bombadil just undercuts the One Ring as a villain...much as Shadowlight undercuts Greengrass as a villain. Heck, I had an entire blog post about this.

1017324>>1017372?...:twilightoops:
...
...
...
...
Wow, what have I done? :trixieshiftright:
...
Oh well, this is kinda fun too. Carry on. :twilightsmile:

1017392
Opened a can of creative differences. I seethe at Tom Bombadil. I'm sorry, Tolkien was a great writer, in his own way, but he wasn't wtihout his flaws, he's not the composite of Chaucer and Shakespeare that I've seen people try to make him out to be. He made mistakes, and I feel, at least, that his single biggest one was including Tom Bombadil in The Lord of the Rings. There's a reason why most adaptations of that book - into movies, plays, radio dramas, whatever - leave him out.

1017399 It's right up there with "What could possibly go wrong?" :twilightoops:

1017737

Nah, that's just a challenge letter to the universe.

The thing with 'reasonable' concessions is that if you make enough of them you eventually end up making decidedly unreasonable concessions and you have no idea when you became willing to do so.

you guys have silly arguments XD

1017437 Chauser did toilet humor and never finished his book. Shakespeare wrote about sex, violence, and idiot comedy. In other words, they were their times equivilants to Comedy movies and Action flicks. There veneer of "high art" is only cause they are so old. Heck, most play writes of the age considered Shakespeare a "populist charlitain, fit only to write for the dimmest of minds".

1015352

I entirely agree with your post. At the end of season 1, Greengrass showed how pathetic could be when brought entirely out of his "confort zone" and the Game stopped being funny.
And nice showing of "Earth Pony magic". I would like if more authors bothered including non unicorn magic more often.

1017372

I'm late to the party, but the Nine Nazgul fought Gandalf at Weathertop, and their battle was visible as fire and lightning miles away.

As for Aragorn, the Nazgul didn't need to fight him. As far as they knew, their job had been done, and Wraith Frodo would have delivered the One Ring to them. Why bother engaging Aragorn when they could just chill?

3689959 Not to shit all over you but it might be because their only concern is "The Ring isn't in my hand right now and I must have it right now to give it to my master." XD

4931748

As far as the Nazgul knew, their job had just been done. They could simply wait a day or two, and the Ringbearer would be their slave. They had no way of knowing that Frodo would resist the Morgul venom and have the strength to invoke Varda's name to spite them.

That was when they panicked and ended up being willing to take on an Elf-Lord of the First Age to regain the Ring.

4942209 Yeah but they have very little freedom of mind and the way they're said to be unquestioningly loyal sort of implies to me that they'd sooner burn the forests along the way than give up even for a second

4947338

The Nazgul are fully loyal to Sauron, but are unique among his agents that they have full agency to carry out his orders in whatever manner they see fit. They can't and won't go against the spirit or word of his orders, but they're pretty free otherwise.

Like the Witch-King stirring up the Barrow-wights, placing the shadow of fear on that dude in the inn, and so on.

I've read and reread Savage Skies, and until today, that was the only one of your stories I've had any experience with. I can see how this influenced a lot of what you would later write, I see the DNA that became Arkenstone and Earl Flint. This, while not perfect, is wonderfully intriguing. moguera, I hope you come back and see that we still appreciate you. But if you never log back on, well, we still love you.

Login or register to comment