• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 9,252 Views, 587 Comments

I Would Give to You - Jet Howitzer



You move to Ponyville, and a certain mare catches your eye, but are you right for her?

  • ...
21
 587
 9,252

Chapter II: Oddly Vulnerable

(Hivemind, so you know, it's not done. Enjoy anyway.)
(Chapter two, folks. Enjoy, rate, comment, and let me know of any mistakes I made.)

You just watched as Rarity tended to the unconscious form of Fluttershy. It was taking some time for Rarity to wake Fluttershy, so you took the time to wander about the exterior of her home, taking in the sights that were made available to you. You took a few steps back from the door, and then you turned to admire the vast emptiness. Back in Fillydelphia there was no open space quite like this. Off in the distance you could see mountains, slowly inching their way towards the vastness of the open sky.

You could also see Canterlot in the distance, framed elegantly on the side of the mountain. You had been looking forward to traveling there with the Wonderbolts, but, well, things didn’t go quite as planned. You could only just make out the towers of the castle against the mountain, and you took a moment to count them all. With that minute task done, you turned to look at the cottage Fluttershy called home.

From the outside it looked almost like part of nature. Every aspect of the small home cried out the fact that the inhabitant was one with nature. The many woodland critters that roamed about her home did so with such a sense of freedom that you could hardly believe it. These creatures moved about without a care in the world, as if they knew that their protector would never slack in her duties. From what Fluttershy had said in her letters, though, you knew that she didn’t often have to actually act as a protector. She acted more as a caretaker.

As you continued your trip around the house you could see some larger creatures in the back. There was a deer there, along with a few badgers, and even a platypus. They all looked at you as you came into view, but they quickly returned to what they were doing. You walked closer to them, expecting them to bolt, but none of them even seemed to care that you were there. As you approached the deer, you raised a hoof towards it, and it froze, looking right at you, and then your hoof.

You stopped raising your hoof, and you looked back at the deer. Its eyes weren’t filled with the same spark you saw in the eyes of ponies, but there was something there nevertheless. You began moving your hoof once again, not breaking eye contact with the deer. You bring your hoof to the top of its head, and you stroke it a few times, and somehow you notice a subtle change in the atmosphere. It almost feels like you were being tested somehow.

With your test complete, and apparently passed, you resumed your walk around the cottage, until you finally returned to the front door, where both mares were missing. You stare at the spot harder, somehow hoping that your intense glare would identify where the two mares had gone. A soft giggle from inside breaks your concentration, and you heave a sigh. You walk inside slowly, taking care not to make any sudden moves, lest you startle Fluttershy once again.

As you enter the room you hear the muted conversation abruptly stop as you spot the mares, and they spot you. Fluttershy is looking towards you, but most of her face is hidden behind her mane, while Rarity is looking between you and Fluttershy with an amused expression on her face. You meet Fluttershy’s gaze, and you take a few steps forward before you stop before her. “You remember me, right?”

Her mumbled words barely reach you, but you think you hear an affirmative answer in there. “And what’s my name?” Again, her muffled voice reaches you, and you nod. “And how do we greet family members in our family?” A mumbled response is all you get, and you frown. “I’m sorry, what was that?” The response comes out louder this time, but it is still too muffled for you to hear. “If you don’t take the initiative I’ll do what Grandpa did before he passed.”

This seems to shock Fluttershy enough to get her to react, and she gives you a warm hug, her mane tickling your cheek. “It’s been too long, Flutters.” You break the hug after a moment, and then you see that she’s still hiding behind her mane. “And you don’t need to hide from me. I may have taken my father’s side when our fathers fought, but I don’t hold it against you.” She smiles at this, and then she responds.

“I actually thought Uncle Swift was right. Dad, er, Father wasn’t always as level headed as he wanted to think. Um, I don’t mean to be rude, though.” You smile back, and you hug Fluttershy again. She lets out a soft squeak, and you can’t help but chuckle the tiniest bit.

“Well, I have to say that my dad is just as bad as yours, if not worse.” You pull back from the hug before you look at Fluttershy. “You see, he… Um… Well, he kicked me out just a couple days ago, and so I came here, hoping to stay with you until I could get back on my hooves.” A gasp escapes the pastel yellow mare, and you take a half step back, having never heard Fluttershy get quite that loud before.

“What happened that would make Uncle Swift kick you out? Does it have to do with Father in some way? I could talk to him, um, if you want.”

“No, Flutters, don’t worry. It’s nothing to do with you. It’s my fault.”

Through all of this Rarity maintained her silence, but she finally got up from the couch, and came over. “What did you do that would make your own father kick you out? What was so bad that he could no longer bear to house you?”

“Well, I was a member of the Wonderbolts Trainee Initiative, pretty much a camp for pegasi who want to join the Wonderbolts. I was lined up to be the next trainee to perform exclusively for a chance at being admitted. It was the best time of my life, to finally have a chance to join the Wonderbolts, but then there was a weather accident. For the most part the weather in Fillydelphia is taken care of days in advance, using some of the most advanced unicorn magic in combination with pegasi magic.

“Sadly, there was a fluke that nopony caught, and so there was a freak lightning storm that struck, and I was unlucky enough to be caught in it while doing some training work for the program.” You pause, thinking back to the panic and mayhem that occurred during those harrowing fifteen minutes. “There were about ten of us up in the air when the storm started, and so we all began diving towards the ground, but we were, admittedly, higher than we should’ve been. I was showing off as well, flying higher than any of the others.”

You look between the two mares, and you can see they are hanging off of your every word. “I’m not proud to admit it, but I was the one goading them all to try and beat me, and so I take responsibility for what happened. As we began diving, the storm thickened faster than we could’ve anticipated, and so we were cut off from a direct drop to the ground below. I reasoned that with enough speed we could punch through the cloud layer, and so the others trusted my judgment.” A soft laugh escapes you as you think back to the stupidity of your decision.

“It turns out that the clouds that make up lightning storms are a tad bit thicker, and stronger, than normal clouds. Still, I managed to punch through, but not before I was hit with several bolts of lightning. The pain was intense, and I lost consciousness several times as I plummeted to the ground. My wings refused to respond, and my friends were nowhere to be seen. I thought it was the end.

But then, through the clouds came two of my friends, their dives passing through the hole I had created. They caught up to me quickly, and then we landed. I was taken to the hospital, and after a few days the doctors finally delivered the grim news.” You sigh, trying once again to do something with your wings, but there was no response; just as you expected. “The wing itself is fine, as is the muscle. The damage was done to the nerve endings that allow me to control my wings. They no longer carry the signal, and so I can feel my wings, I just can’t control them.”

“And Uncle Swift…” Fluttershy didn't actually ask a question, but you could tell what she wanted to ask just by her voice.

“My father was distraught, to say the least. He was hoping that I’d be our family’s quick way to fame, but with my loss of flight that was a dream shattered. He spent tons of our money trying to find a procedure that could return my wings to me, but none of them were promising enough, and the ones that were we couldn’t afford.” The fights about the money were always the worst. “Things were tense for quite some time, and then, just a few days ago, my father finally snapped. He claimed that he had wasted all of his time and money on me, and then I blew it all with some stupid stunt.”

Rarity and Fluttershy were both watching you, Rarity nearly in tears, and Fluttershy’s face was frozen in a mask of dismay mixed with disgust. You couldn’t tell which of the two was the more dominant emotions, but it didn’t really matter either. With a sigh, you looked to the ceiling, not wanting to face either mare as you continued. “So, he just kicked me out. It wasn’t even a big scream fight like I was expecting. He just said that I had to leave. So, I grabbed the only possessions that I have, and I left. A few days later, and here I am.” Despite the nature of your tale, you found your voice lacking any real defining emotion.

“It’s not a happy tale, and it’s also one that I don’t want to have to recount many times.” You turned to look at Rarity, and you offered a faint smile. “I waited to explain earlier, because I didn’t want to explain it to you, and then again to Flutters, here.”

Both mares still seemed unable to speak, so you waited patiently for them to gather their wits about them. Fluttershy was the first to compose herself, and she began crying as she embraced you once again. “You lost your wings?” Her voice came out choked with emotion, and you did your best to console her. “But flying is who you are! How can you bear it?”

Before you can respond to Fluttershy’s question, Rarity throws her hooves around you as well, tears on her face. “Dear, that’s awful! And then to be kicked out because of it!”

“Girls, it’s okay. Despite the pressure from my father, I eventually accepted the fact that I’m grounded. I’m not happy about it, but there’s nothing I can reasonably do. The process involved in repairing the extensive nerve damage would take immense amounts of magic, and several days worth of work. All the ponies that offered the procedure charged more for the operations than I would’ve made as a Wonderbolt in a year.”

The embrace lasted for several minutes, and by the time it ended, the mares had both recovered. “Now then, if neither of you mind, I’d like to try to get some rest. I’ve had a long trip here, and I’d like to try to catch up on some lost sleep. I’d be more than happy to meet the rest of your friends later, Flutters, but for now I want to get some sleep. It’s still early, too, so just wake me sometime this afternoon.”

“Okay. I, um. I don’t have a guest bed made up, so if you want you can use mine. If that’s okay with you.” You nod, unwilling to be a burden on your cousin. Several minutes later, you were lying on Fluttershy’s bed as she walked out of the room. “I’ll come wake you sometime in the afternoon. Try to get some rest. Oh, and I’m glad that you’re here. It’s been too long.” She gently closed the door to the room, and within minutes you were in that place between wakefulness and sleep. And shortly after that sleep finally swept in and claimed your mind.


A gentle nudge brought your awareness back to the real world, and you cracked open an eye to see the soft yellow fur of Fluttershy. “It’s time for you to get up, sleepyhead. My other friends are all eager to meet you.” You sat up in bed slowly, not wanting to rush yourself. With a grunt, you fell out of bed, and onto your side.

“I’m going to need a few minutes to get ready, Fluttershy.” She gives a small smile, and she nods as well.

“Okay. The bathroom is across the hall. Just come down when you’re ready.” You do your best to get comfortable on the floor after Fluttershy left, but the unyielding nature of the hardwood flooring made comfort an unfortunate impossibility. With a heavy sigh, you got up, and headed to the bathroom to freshen up. It took about half an hour, but by the time you exited the bathroom you actually thought that you looked pretty good. You ruffled your mane just a bit, to get it settled in a way you liked, and then you made your way downstairs.

Fluttershy was sitting on her couch, talking with the woodland critters that shared her home, and you approached her slowly, not wanting to startle her. She looked up at you as you approached, and she had a large smile on her face. “I’m ready to go Fluttershy.” She nodded at you, and then she got off the couch and the various critters fled to their respective homes, leaving just you and her in the room. She trotted over to the door, and then she opened it, gesturing for you to take the lead.

As you stood outside her home, she quickly closed the door before she stood next to you. “I hope that you read the letters I sent you. Some of my friends are a bit… quirky.” You gave Fluttershy a warm smile as you responded.

“I read all the letters you sent me. And I grew up, for the most part, in Fillydelphia. I think I can handle whatever quirks your friends have. But which ones am I going to be meeting? Based on your letters you have more friends here than there are ponies in Fillydelphia.” Fluttershy chuckled softly at your joke, and you were glad that she did.

“I don’t have that many friends. But we’re just going to meet up with a few of my closest friends. Twilight will be there, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Storm, and Rarity, who you already met.” The name Pinkie strikes you, and for a moment you struggle to remember just who that pony was.

“Pinkie, that name seems familiar.”

“Yeah, she’s the biggest party pony you could ever hope to meet. You may have seen her earlier, since she was talking about some new pony she had seen in town.”

“Yeah, I think I did see her. She’s all pink, with a poofy mane?” Fluttershy just nodded, and you smiled. “Yep, I met her while I was looking for your home. Although I didn’t really meet her, so much as she saw me, gasped, and ran off.” You fall silent for a short while, your mind slowly putting together snippets you recall from the letters you’d been getting. “She’s going to throw me a party, isn’t she?” A soft giggle comes from Fluttershy, and you just sigh and roll your eyes. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.”

The rest of the trip to the town passes in silence, and your glad for it. Despite your normal confidence you found yourself feeling oddly vulnerable. From what you had read in Fluttershy’s letters, these parties were always thrown for newcomers to town. You weren’t really worried about the party, though. You’d been to your fair share of wild parties with the other trainees. Some a bit less legal than you’d ever admit. What had you worried was that pegasus mare by the name of Rainbow Dash.

From what you remembered she was just recently admitted to the team, and so you were fairly certain that she’d have heard at least a little about you from the team. That would lead to questions that you’d rather not have to answer. Hopefully she’d understand that you didn’t want to talk about it. Hopefully…

But the other friends that Fluttershy had. You were genuinely interested in getting to know them. According to the letters you had gotten, they were all attractive, and had great personalities. And what made the deal even better was the fact that they were all single. Hay, maybe you’d get lucky and hit it off with one of them.

With your thoughts distracting you, you didn’t notice that you had arrived at the treehouse that you had seen earlier. Fluttershy approached the door at a slow trot, and you matched her pace. She put one hoof on the door, and then she opened it. Inside it was dark, and you knew what was coming. You braced yourself against the coming onslaught of voices, but it never came. Instead, there was just the gentle sound of music, along with some chatting voices.

“What, no surprise party for me?”

“No, silly! You knew it was coming, so it wouldn’t be a surprise!” You fell over backwards as the pink mare from earlier seemingly appeared before you. “I’ll just have to throw you a surprise party later. But for now you can just enjoy a regular party.” As you waited for your heart to slow down a bit, you saw Fluttershy laugh, and Pinkie went back into the party.

“Flutters, you have some interesting friends. Really, really, interesting friends.”

(Sorry for how long this chapter took, but real life struck again. I'll try to get the others out a bit faster.)