• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 8,424 Views, 621 Comments

Twilight's Demoman Devastation - Darrtaa



(A follow-up to Lyra's Pyro Predicament) Demoman and Spy battle the forces of evil in Equestria.

  • ...
15
 621
 8,424

Chapter 10: Make Some Friends

Disclaimer: I don't own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or any of the characters, nor do I own Team Fortress 2 or any of its characters. I do, however, own Copper Head and Captain Ajax.

"We *GASP* made it! *WHEEZ*"

"About time too, I didn't think we'd ever make it out of Appleloosa…"

"We would have been fine if those buffalo hadn't interfered."

The three exhausted (and fairly battered) Changelings moaned as they limped pathetically into the Hive, their wings torn and crumpled from overuse. They hobbled into the main chamber, which was oddly silent even for this hour. "Mindless Droning" must have been pushed back until later to let everyone sleep in. That was what the group thought, at least, until they noticed the massive new skylight that had been installed since they had left on their failed redemption mission.

"…WHY would the Queen decide to put something like THAT in of all things? A small one in one of the tunnels sure, but that thing's big enough for Cerberus to get in!"

"Maybe the Queen thought that the Hive needed more light, it really does brighten up the room and lets in the fresh breeze."

"Oh I see. Yes, and some flowers over in the corner would really bring out the color in THE BRUISES I'M ABOUT TO GIVE YOU! We're Changelings! We don't NEED a gapping hole directly above our secret headquarters OR light and summer breezes! And I swear, the first one of you to mention 'fung shway' is getting- wait, what's that over there?" Ditto and Carbon's eyes followed Mockery's hole-riddled foreleg over to the center of the room, the sunlight that had been pouring into the one dark lair reviled all sorts of things that non-Changelings would have never been able to see (mostly just rocks and other things that LOOKED like rocks but actually weren't that were just there to throw off intruders) and saw something glinting brightly on the elevated platform.

"Is that a…ring?" Carbon said as he moved in to get a better look. "It is a ring! It's got a nice diamond on it t-"

"GET OUT OF THE WAY IT'S MIIIIINE!" Mockery screamed as he shoved Carbon Copy out of the way and began to drool over the size of the diamond embedded within the solid gold band of the Something Special. "It's so SHINY, and now it's mine. All mine…"

"What's it doing here? Aw shoot! Did we miss a wedding in here!?" The three of them froze; Chrysalis had been distraught after the failed wedding crash, she even kept Cadance's veil that she had worn. Was she really so upset to the point where she would just up and marry somepony? No, that's absurd! Still… "I'm just messin' with you guys, besides, it'd be one weird wedding with all these…scorch…marks…?" Ditto's statement slowly changed into a puzzling conundrum as he began to notice the small piles of ashes scattered around in a perfect circle that encompassed a large portion of the Hive's dirty dirt floor.

The trio of masqueraders all found their way to the center of the room around the shelf, each one coming up with numerous theories as to what the intended use for the mysterious ring might have been.

"You guys…you guys don't think that she summoned that creature from that book with this, do you?" Ditto said rubbing his hard chin with his equally dense hoof.

"Huh, gee, didn't think about that. Maybe that would explain all the NOTHING we saw on the way over here! Don't you think that the Queen would have told me, one of her best soldiers, of an impending attack?" Mockery said as he whacked Ditto upside his dark head with an audible *thunk*.

"What if we weren't the one's doing the attacking? What if the hole in the roof is from Shining Armor and his troops assaulting the Hive; what if they took the Queen captive!?"

"He might be right! We should round up whatever is left of our brethren and rescue her!" Unfortunately, Carbon Copy's enthusiasm was short lived as his voice echoed through the uncomfortably quiet passages and catacombs of his normally very noisy and chaotic home. The thought spread through all of their minds at the same time; they were the last of their kind. Mounting an attack on Canterlot would be foolish if their entire swarm had failed back during the Royal Wedding. They needed something to tip the scales in their favor, something to even the odds, something BIG, something like- "The monster! We could try summoning the monster! If that first failed creature was able to crash the Gala and escape, then the REAL beast should be able to knock over the whole castle!"

"Yeah! Great…how the hay do we call it here without that annoying book?" Each of the endangered Changelings stared off into the distance thoughtfully for a moment. "Didn't the book always say something before it cast one of its spells?"

"Yeah, YEAH! It was the same incantation too…but what was it?"

"You fools would never be able to function without me, would you? I remember it perfectly, now make yourselves useful and help me charge the ring," Mockery announced to much groaning from his "friends" as the novice sorcerers formed a triangle around the (hopefully) powerful ring of incredible power. They began to channel their magic into the large rock that sat atop the magnificent gold band, the green glow was refracted in a million directions as the diamond fulfilled its life-long ambition of becoming a light prism. Lyra's Something Special began to raise up above the natural table and spinning ever faster, a slight hum began to emanate from its rotating form as the green light intensified and spawned a ring of flames around all three of the Changeling summoners that made them jump back and break their concentration.

Not that the ring needed them anyway. The now fully charged bond of friendship threw out large shafts of light of all different colors before erupting into flames itself. Mockery, Ditto, and Carbon Copy shielded the multiple lenses of their eyes as something began to form within the roaring inferno. It started out small, growing steadily along with the size of the flames and by the time the fire had died down enough for the trio of tricksters to look directly at the monster they had brought forth, it had already pulled its entire upper half out of its infernal portal.

"It's here! It's incredible! It's powerful! It's…it's…it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Is there more of it somewhere or is that it?" Mockery scratched his head, the beast before him was certainly not what The Bombinomicon had cracked it up to be, then again, that glorified newspaper had been about as reliable as a subterranean sundial.

"It LOOKS like it's from the same place as the Demoknight, see, it has the same red clothes he does. It even has its own strange metal weapons like he did."

"Ugh, what's wrong with its face? I though the first one was ugly but this fella takes the cake, yikes!"

"Guys, I think it can understand what we're saying…" Unfortunately for Ditto, he was absolutely right; the summoned humanoid could understand them perfectly…and it was just itching to use one of its shiny metal weapons on these strange new creatures that had the nerve to badmouth their semi-invited guest.

+++++

"*Yawn* At least I finally got some sleep…however short it may have been, ugh…" Twilight hefted her star-cover blanket higher up over her head to try and avoid the fact that she had get up as Celestia's sun signaled a new day had began in the form of nearly blinding its master's star pupil.

"T-Twilight? Are you *urp* up yet? You've got mail…" Spike's voice was shaky as he tried to suppress multiple burps but only managed to make them sound stranger.

"Mail? Mail from the Princess!?" Twilight shot out of her super comfy bed and rocketed down the spiral staircase to see what the Princess' decision on what to do was. Or, at least she would have had she not slipped on a piece of parchment near the top of the stairs and sent her clumsy self tumbling down into a large pile of sealed scrolls with a *thwump*. Twilight poked her head out from the mound of scrolls she now found herself in, "Spike? What are all these?"

Spike, laying a few feet away rubbing his sore stomach, rolled over to face the dazed unicorn but only managed to fall off the couch he had been immobilized on since earlier that day. "Ohh…Twilight? Can you PLEASE tell the Princess to ease up on the letters? I sent her one asking her to stop but- *URP*" Spike involuntarily expelled a jet of green flames from his mouth, signaling that the Princess had sent him yet another letter. Unlike the others, this particular letter was open with a big green "NO!" etched on it.

Twilight dug her hoof into the pile of scrolls and unbound the emerald tie off the first one she grabbed. "'Dear Twilight; please come to Canterlot immediately. It is of the utmost importance that you, and your friends, see me at once.' Is…is that it?" Twilight rummaged through the pile of the notes, each one with the same, vague message over and over again. Twilight began to panic, the only time the Princess was ever this short with her was when she was angry about something…was she angry at her? What had she done? Did she forget to do something? And why did she have to include her friends, were they all in trouble? What, what, WHAT!?

The distraught unicorn didn't have long to dwell on that thought as the aged red door of the Golden Oak Library was swung open, the sunlight blinding Twilight just enough to obscure to identity of the pony at the door before they came crashing in and tackled a confused Twilight to the ground. "Where are they!? Did they come this way!?"

"Rarity! RARITY! It's hard enough tryin' tah find the little ones without you runnin' every pony we see inta the ground! You okay, Twilight?" Applejack said as she galloped into the hectic library and pried the Element of Generosity from the Element of Magic. "Twilight! Have Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, or Scootaloo been 'round here? We cain't find 'em anywhere!"

"N-No, I just got up a minute ago."

"Oh, darling, that's not good for you, you'll get all manner of wrinkles, but more importantly; WHERE IS MY SWEETIE BELLE!?" Rarity screeched. She was on the verge of tears, or perhaps she had just gotten through expelling all she had on the way there as she looked high and low, low and high for her dear sister.

"They're not here either? Oh no…" the quiet voice meeped from outside. Twilight tilted her head to see the rest of her friends standing just beyond the threshold, all of whom had grim expressions from going along with Applejack and Rarity door-to-door in search of the MIA CMC.

As Pinkie Pie rapidly explained, Applejack had first noticed that Apple Bloom had gone missing when she didn't rise and shine for breakfast, something that only occurred in the Apple household in times of sickness or just plumb not being there. Thinking that her little sibling had gone to play with her friends and forego her chores, Applejack stormed off towards the Carousel Boutique to retrieve her third of the CMC…when Rarity found Sweetie to be missing from her bed. When Rainbow Dash told them that Scootaloo had missed the Rainbow Dash Fan Club meeting, they really began to worry, rounding up Pinkie and Fluttershy to help them search before coming to the library in hopes that they were trying to get their Cutie Marks in something book related.

"I see. I'm sorry, they haven't been around here all day," Twilight said as she shook what was left of the spam scrolls from her mane and tail. "Actually I'm glad you're all here, I know that this is a REALLY bad time but Princess Celestia wants us in Canterlot as soon as we can. Spike, go get Lyra and Bon Bon and see if they can help you find the girls."

"Twilight, I'm sorry but we ain't goin' anywhere 'til we find mah sister!"

"I agree with Applejack, I can't just run off to Canterlot when my poor Sweetie is out by herself only Celestia knows where."

Spike stepped forward and tugged on the stripe in Twilight's mane. "Why not just ask the Princesses to help you? Celestia knows what all of her subjects are up to and Luna watches over everypony's dreams, it should be a piece of cake for them!"

"Do you really think they would help us find them?" Rarity's tired eyes showed her desperation and doubt, but the twinkle that danced about them shown brightly with hope.

Pinkie wrapped up the fashionista and the farmer in a hug. "You betcha'! The Princesses are ALWAYS helping ponies with pesky problems, I'm sure they'd love to help find Sweetie and Apple Bloom!" Pinkie's enthusiasm was Invictus, and soon, the Mane Six were train-bound to Canterlot. The moral boost had also affected Spike, who happily bounced from the library after locking up and putting Peewee down for a nap all the way down to Lyra's house on the other side of town.

"Lyra? Lyra, you there? I was hopping you could come help me find the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They went…" as Spike continued to knock, Lyra's front door slowly creaked open. Spike peered into the dark house, signs of a break in were evident from the broken window that faced toward the outside of town and muddy boot prints that lead up the stairs towards Lyra's room, "…missing?"

+++++

The train ride was unusually quiet, even with Pinkie Pie in such close proximity. Everypony's thought's kept drifting towards what the poor girls might be dealing with, or where in Equestria they could be…everypony, that is, besides Twilight. The letters she had received were still haunting her intellectual mind with their vagueness and no matter how hard she thought about them, they still didn't make any sense as to why the Princess could possible me cross with any of them. Somewhere along the line she had spotted what she had hoped was a weed pile being burnt off in the distance, the last thing she needed today was for some sort of disaster to take place this close to Canterlot.

Although she couldn't see the flames, the mental image she was slowly forcing herself to concentrate on began to invoke memories of her and the Princess back when she was still in school. The two of them in her study, warm cocoa, a blazing fire created by the goddess of the sun herself to keep out the cold; it was perfect, and it also reminded the busy-brained scholar that everything was going to be just fine…

+++++

…that was until they actually pulled into the train station in Canterlot.

"Oh no. What happened?" What indeed; the city of Canterlot had always been known for being a marvelous representation of its overseer, Princess Celestia, with its emphasis on pearl and ivory with gold trim on just about everything. Upon walking into the magnificent stronghold, the warmth of the sun's ray reflecting off of the bright white surfaces brought a comforting joy in the warmer months and accented the frost and snow of the colder ones.

This was not the case anymore.

The aforementioned white and gold had all been replaced with a dark and menacing black and green, giving the impression of poison or illness. The flags and banners had been torn down, swapped out with ebony ones that displayed an angry Changeling head just below a pair of tattered insect wings with a sickly lime green boarder. As the small herd of Elements soon noticed, the castle had also undergone some drastic changes. One to be exact: a large, brown orb that was nested near the throne room and had left the immediate area around it cracked and demolished, like a wrecking ball had been carelessly dropped onto it.

"Ugh, just look at those dreadful colors. Whoever thought THAT was a good ideas needs to be- Twilight, where are you going? Twilight!" Twilight's mind was all but blank. Nothing else mattered to her right now. Not the flags, not what happened to to CMC, not the two figures flying towards her. Nothing. Until the two specs flying about the sun's harsh rays dropped down in front of her and halted her charge with their matching spears.

"Biggs? Wedge? What's going here, what happened to the castle!?" Twilight demanded of the two stallions standing before her. "And what happened to you?"

"We'll answer the big question first," started Biggs as he returned his spear back to its resting position at his side, a stance that the more seasoned guards performed absentmindedly. "Canter- I mean, 'Neo Hive' is under new management as of earlier today."

"As to why we look the way we do…" Wedge mimicked Biggs and returned back to a neutral state, his black armor clanking together ever so slightly as he moved.

The armor of the Royal Guard has been more or less the same design for centuries; a golden centurion helmet with faux blue hair that ran the length of the skullcap followed by gold plates that allowed the wearer to look up and around without too much restriction. The body was more of the same gold motif that picked up where the helmets would have ended and matching, armored horseshoes that ran up the hoof and past the pastern for added protection from whatever they my be galloping through. With magically dyed coats,manes, and tails to further the legion presentation, one might think they were cloned from the same pony.

In fact, the only reason Twilight was able to tell Biggs and Wedge apart was because of their voices. Having lived in the castle since her apprenticeship to Celestia had begun, Twilight had found various ways to tell the seemingly duplicate guards apart, whether that was by their eyes, the way they carried themselves, voice, speech patterns and mannerisms, height, body build, hindquarters…

But sadly, all of the polished gold and beautiful hoofsmanship of the renown armor was now covered by craggy, black spikes that gave the guards about as much hug appeal as a riled up porcupine. While bits of the original armor could barely be seen underneath, the new razor look distracted the eye and made the once approachable guards look like monsters one might encounter in the darker parts of the Everfree Forest, "…it's not important. What is important is that we get you to see the Queen ASAP, we were actually sent to fetch you once you arrived."

"Queen?" The word, corse and unfamiliar, fell out of the six open mouths as the brains connected to them tried to process what the ears had told them.

+++++

As Twilight and her friends made it to the end of the hall before the throne room, a thunderous bellow followed swiftly by high-pitched laughter filled the chamber beyond. The sound was horrifying, especially to Fluttershy. Instead of cowering in fear like she would have normally done, the caring yellow pegasus was frozen in place, knowing full well that only the largest of creatures could make a sound that deep without having to put much effort into it.

"Ooo, spooky," Pinkie said, mildly entertained by all the new events that had been going on that day that she had forgotten to be scared from time to time.

The doors opened slowly and silently, the light from the hall wormed its way into the darkened throne room, though the vast majority of the dense blackness refused to be pierced and continued to blanket the mysterious noises coming from within. Twilight took her first few steps with caution until she was completely encased within the darkness and her eyes adjusted accordingly.

She wished they hadn't.

The throne room, aside from being uncharacteristically dark thanks to the tattered black drapes that hung like ghosts over the windows and blotted out the sun, looked the same as it ever did.

"Ah, Twilight Sparkle at last."

"Chrysalis!" A flash of green made her and the rest of her friends shield their eyes, the image they were greeted with upon removing their hooves was unsettling. Sitting on a throne that didn't belong to her, was the insect-like Queen Chrysalis with a small cluster of her Changeling flunkies crawling about and snickering to each other at the sight of the six terrified ponies standing in shock before them. Twilight's purple eye caught something hanging from the ceiling. A lot of somethings. Cocoon somethings. With live ponies struggling to break free.

"Sweetie Belle!"

"Apple Bloom!"

"Scoots!"

"Lyra...Princess!? Wedge, what's going here!?"

"It's actually rather simple, Ms. Sparkle. I would have thought somepony like you would have been able to figure it out by now…" Green flames wrapped around Wedge's hoofs that quickly rose up his body, changing him back into Sergeant Reflection "…we rule Equestria now!"

"W-What!? Biggs…?" Biggs just stood there, trembling with anger.

"That…wretch stormed Canterlot earlier this morning. The rest of the guards and I did our best, but her knight and that monster couldn't be stopped before they reached the castle. The Princesses surrendered in exchange for everypony's safety. Chrysalis shuffled her own personal soldiers into the guard rotation, so nopony could be sure if the pony they were on patrol with was actually a Changeling or not, anypony who resisted was rounded up and encased in one of those cocoons you see above you. UNTIL NOW!"

Biggs launched himself towards Chrysalis with a single beat from his toned wings. The Changelings entrusted to protecting their Queen lunged forward to stop the Royal Guard, only to be knocked aside like twigs trying to stand up against a tornado of anger. With the slight annoyances scattered across the pristine room, nothing stood before him and the hag that had tried to take away everything he and his friends stood for…nothing, and the buzzed human that had been laying slumped over beside the throne.

"Oh I'm gonna hit you so hard you'll have a TWITCH!" Demoman slurred as he shakily hoisted himself up and stepped directly between Queen Chrysalis and the enraged Biggs. In one swift motion, Tavish (all while maintaining a firm grasp on his bottle o' whiskey) caught Biggs right on the chin with the metal rim of his Chargin' Targe and knocked him high into the air, right into the waiting clutches of a new cocoon made just for him. He struggled against the organic prison but found it all for naught. "That'll teach ya'."

"That was still a good tackle, all things considered," the real Wedge said from his adjacent upside-down restraints.

"Yeah, thanks…"

"Ahahahahaha! Yes, as you can see by that pathetic attempt, my warrior is unstoppable! He's not even my trump card! You've failed Twilight Sparkle, Equestria is MINE! HAHAHAHAHA!" Twilight looked up at the ponies trapped along the ceiling; Celestia, Luna, Shining Armor, Lyra, Ajax, Wedge, Biggs…Chrysalis was right, if the Princesses had given up, then what point was there?

Demoman chuckled, although he didn't have a damn clue as to what the wee colorful horses were babbling about, all he needed to know was that his uppity boss was on the winning side which meant that he was going to get the spoils. He raised his bottle to his lips and took a swig…or at least he THOUGHT he did. There was a loud noise as the flow of alcohol was cut tragically short. He looked over his bottle with his one good, semi-green eye to see that his favorite bottle had been broken from the neck down, its precious one hundred and ten percent juices spilled on his boots and on the silk rug that ran the length of the room. Stricken by the loss, Tavish began to express his displeasure by angrily slurring something of which even he couldn't have hoped to translate, followed by an impressive belch and bouts of full-blown crying.

"I'm BACK, you subnormal halfwit!"

"Spy!?" Every eye in the room shifted over to a thin man, the smoke rising from his revolver mixed with that of his cigarette that glowed brightly as he inhaled. "Spy! How did- where did you- HUH!?"

"You really need to learn when someone is following you, I was afraid I was making it too obvious."

"Yeah, come on Twilight, he was RIGHT THERE. Duh." Pinkie said as she waved happily to the long-lost assassin, who smiled back before dawning his trademark scowl.

"You're a back-pokin' snake, and by God you'll die like one!" the Scottish cyclops bellowed as he withdrew the razor-sharp Eyelander from its hilt and took his place at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh, this is getting INTERESTING!" Chrysalis chuckled as she shifted her weight into a more comfortable fight-watching position. Spy lined himself up at the opposite end of the rug, his silver Ambassador still managing to shine brightly in the low light as he reloaded the chamber and clicked it shut with a flick of his wrist. He took one last puff from his cigarette before tossing it carelessly aside, much to the chagrin of a maid that was suspended high above.

"Spy?" Rarity asked softly. Spy tilted his head so that he could focus on Rarity while still keeping Mr. DeGroot in the corner of his eye. "I just wanted to say thank you for coming to save us, even after what I did to you, but you don't have to do this!"

"I'm ze only one who can stop zem, and remember what I told you; a person in my profession always has a backup plan," the handsome rouge said with a wink. He turned back the drunken swordsman, his hand returning to his revolver from adjusting the butterfly knife in his back pocket.

"Shall we?"

"I hope I didn't scare ya with my face-to-face MAN fightin'! YEEEEAAH!" Tavish rocketed forward, his speed rapidly increasing as was the crackling energy around his blade. Spy remained resolute, firing shot after shot at the oncoming drunk. To the untrained eye, it would seem that he was missing horribly and only hitting the Targe, however, the bullets caught in the shield slowed the Scot with each hit, enough so that a skilled man with a knife could easily take him down unharmed.

Or at least it would if the Ambassador was a fifty-cal handgun. Spy cursed himself and backed up, his time and distance from the enraged Demoknight quickly running down. His revolver clicked, a sound Spy did not want to hear until AFTER he had managed to wing Demoman in the leg once or twice. He reached behind his back, spinning the knife betwixt his fingers and jumped forward. Tavish swung. Spy stabbed.

*SHWING* *SHLUCK*

The room was once again silent. The only sound that could be heard was the sound of knees hitting the tile as the mercenary from RED fell to the floor, bested by one of his own teammates.

Author's Note:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYPONY! Sorry this is so late with the holidays and the holiday-theme events for both TF2 and Dota, I was just too tired to write, but I got this done just in time!