• Published 24th Jul 2012
  • 5,358 Views, 465 Comments

Symphony for Moon and Sun - GrassAndClouds2



Lyra must help Octavia play a piece of forbidden music. Both will be ruined if she fails.

  • ...
6
 465
 5,358

(Bonus) The forty-ninth attempt: Piano Amour

930 years post Celestia



Piano Amour looked out at the audience and nodded. There was little left to do. Just the one final step, and then… then it was out of her hooves.

She didn’t want to retrace the steps that it had taken to get here. She knew them all by heart. Her mother’s business had suffered a run of bad luck, her daughter had broken her wings in a bad fall, her cousin had been scammed out of his life savings, her husband had crashed his carriage into that of a rich Viceroy and had been sued … a stream of problems, each worse than the last. At this point, the once-mighty Amour family was staring at bankruptcy and ruination.

Was it really a hundred years ago that they’d held seats on the Court, counted generals and Courtiers as their closest friends, given advice to the princess herself? How times changed. There had been rumors, of course, of some horrific deed, some monstrous crime committed by an ancestor from a century prior, after which the Amour house had slowly but inevitably collapsed. Piano didn’t suppose it much mattered. Penury was penury, whatever the cause.

Piano Amour had no particular talents at business or politics. She had been a pianist, a fine and noble profession, if not normally the most profitable one. She’d been told that she’d been born in the wrong century; an Amour pianist, after all, could have had a splendid life in the past. Now, though, she could only wish she had a talent that was more useful at keeping her family in their homes.

But she didn’t, which was why Piano Amour had embarked on her last hope. Besides this, there was only public charity, and though nearly broke, she was still a proud Amour. She would not beg for alms from the public trough. But if Luna would elevate the family again, that was different. She had been unable to get an appointment with the princess, though, which left her to resort to the Symphony. I don’t care if Luna banishes me for playing it. To banish me, she has to talk to me, and that means I can talk to her. I’ll beg her to save the Amour family. I don’t care if I get thrown to the wolves later.

Of course, she didn’t want to be banished. And she had… well, thoughts… on how the piece could perhaps be played. Thoughts drawn from her own experience. Thoughts that she figured the others who attempted it might not have understood. And if, just if, she could play it right… maybe that would be enough to reverse the decline of the Amour house. Maybe her children could grow up in the environment she yearned for them to have.

She had to try.

So she took the stage, thanked the audience, and especially thanked Luna. “I know this piece has a… history, but I am pleased to see that you, your majesty, came regardless. Your subject is grateful for your appearance.”

And then she played.

It was slower than the other renditions, more mournful. And the ending, of course, was far different than anything any other pony had tried. There was the fight, of course, oh was there a fight – a knock-down, drag-out, hateful, spiteful fight, with clashing melodies that annihilated each other, melodies representing a war between two sisters that could have no winner in any meaningful sense. Yes, Luna was ultimately left standing, but with a shattered kingdom and a shattered heart.

I think you felt what it was like to lose your family, to let them down, princess, thought Piano, as she strived to perfect each theme. I don’t think you were happy about your victory. I think sometimes you lie in bed and wonder if it would have been easier had you let Corona win.

The Amour family hadn’t retained much, but they still had many, many books that they hadn’t been able to sell off and hadn’t (yet) had to burn for heat. Histories, mostly. Piano had read through them, and she knew of the dark days that followed Corona’s defeat. Of the land plunging into twelve years of chaos, of Luna’s drunken spree throughout the country. It was an alicorn in total despair.

The piece ended with a long, slow, and sad sequence. Luna, the victor but alone. Corona dead, the country in ruins. It wasn’t clear if the Luna theme even thought it was good that she won – certainly, in moments, it seemed almost suicidal, summoning up snatches of Corona’s theme as if wishing to have her sister back, though it meant her own destruction, though it meant leveling the country in burning fire. It was how, Piano was certain, Luna had felt.

Maybe that would move her heart, where all the politic, bowdlerized renditions had only moved her to anger at their glib dishonesty. And even if it didn’t… well, to banish her, they’d have to talk. Piano would settle for that.

Piano opened her eyes and looked towards Luna’s booth. Would the mare be smiling? Crying? Or would she have raised a hoof in anger?

None of those. Luna was gone.

She wasn’t even going to talk to Piano.

Feeling lower than ever before, Piano rose and left the stage and whispering audience behind her. She would cry, she told herself, when she got home.

“Piano Amour.”

Piano’s head shot up. Luna was standing before her, on the creaky backstage area like it was her throne room. And she looked… angry, yes… but also understanding. At least a little bit.

“I understand,” she said, in a quiet voice, “Your family’s straits. I apologize for not doing more earlier. Your family has always served the Court well and with wisdom.”

Amour blinked. Could it be? Was Luna going to save them?

“But,” and now there was ice and steel in her voice, “Your circumstances do not give you the right to bring up my history in a transparent attempt to circumvent my secretary. They do not give you the right to lie about me.” She approached Piano. “Do you truly believe,” she said, “That I care so little for my subjects that I would ever wish that it was Corona who was the victor?”

Piano didn’t know what to say. “I… I don’t know, your majesty. All I know is my own feelings.”

“Then you had no right to play that piece.” Luna sighed. “I acknowledge your courage, and your love for your family. I will… see to it that the Amour decline is arrested. I will not build your house back up – the Court is a meritocratic institution, and I cannot and will not interfere in that manner – but you need not worry about homelessness, or destitution.”

Tears filled Piano’s eyes. “Thank you!”

“I am not done.” Luna turned away from Piano. “You admit that you played a piece that you did not understand, though it took me and my sister as the subject. You have betrayed your art, and you have lied about me to your audience. I would think very carefully, Piano, about this before attempting another piece in my earshot.” Piano could feel the chill emanating from her. “I will not forgive you a second time.”

Luna vanished in a blueish mist, leaving Piano to stare after her in wonder. She didn’t care if she could never play in public again. Her family was safe, and that was what mattered.

That was the only thing that mattered.