• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 6,250 Views, 172 Comments

They're Comfy and Easy to Wear - Friendly Uncle



A collection of fairly random pony story bits. Presented without context or apology.

  • ...
5
 172
 6,250

April 20th

April 20th

Fluttershy laid herself out on the thick rug in the middle of her living room, enjoying the warmth of the midafternoon sun shining in through a window. The lemony yellow pegasus stretched all of her limbs one by one, enjoying the gentle crackle of her joints. Gathering her legs under herself and settling down, Fluttershy turned to the other side of the rug, where Rarity was focusing on a small pile of herbs from Fluttershy’s garden. Fluttershy smiled a little at the sight of her friend looking so intensely at plant matter. Rarity glanced at her briefly, a smirk twisting her own lips as she turned back to her task.

“Something funny?”

“Oh, not really,” said Fluttershy, lowering head head to the rug, “I just think it’s nice of you to do this for me.”

And it was nice. Fluttershy knew some earth ponies or pegasi who were apt to be jealous of unicorns and their magical dexterity, and it rarely made sense to her. In this particular case, though, she thought she understood the appeal of a horn. Fluttershy could handle most tasks on her own, but when it came to separating the stems and seeds you couldn’t beat Rarity’s magic, or her attention to detail.

“Nonsense darling,” said Rarity as she packed the herbs into two small pipes, “it’s your product after all. If you’re going to share it with me the least I can do is help out. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.”

She levitated one pipe over to Fluttershy while she floated one in front of herself, a spark of magic striking above the bowl and setting fire to the contents. “Need a light?”

“Thank you,” said Fluttershy, and took the stem of the pipe between her lips as Rarity set it to smouldering. A few quick puffs to help it along, and then she took in a big draw, filling her lungs and holding it until her eyes started to water. The coughing was always the worst part, and she worried sometimes that some of her animal friends would hear her and think she was sick. The results were worth it, though.

Rarity held a hoofkerchief to her mouth to muffle her own coughing. The two ponies smoked in relative silence for a long moment, pupils slowly dilating as they emptied their pipes. It doesn’t take much to get a little pony buzzed. Fluttershy set her pipe down on the floor and nudged it with her nose, watching in rapt fascination as it slowly turned, sunlight glinting off of its surfaces. She could see the universe inside that little pipe, whirling and twinkling gently in front of her eyes, drawing her forward into infinity.

She felt something touch the back of her head, and Fluttershy turned to find Rarity running her hooves through her mane. The unicorn’s eyes twinkled in amazement as she ran the long pink strands over her forelegs, sighing happily to herself.

“It’s so beautiful,” Rarity crooned, leaning in to nuzzle Fluttershy’s ear. “I wish mine looked half as good without all the work I put into it. You’re such a pretty pony, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy blushed and leaned back against Rarity’s touch, enjoying the sensations. Normallly she’d shy away from such an invasion of personal space. There was always that little voice in the back of her head, telling her to run and get away, that nopony wanted to be with her. But that voice was quiet now, muffled by the thrumming in her body and the delightful fog behind her eyes, and all Fluttershy could think about was how she never got enough hugs. She rolled over and put her arms around Rarity, pulling the unicorn closer and nuzzling her own purple tresses. Rarity continued to explore Fluttershy’s hair, murmuring to herself about styling gel.

Fluttershy loved hugs. She loved wrapping another pony up in her arms and holding them tight. She loved enfolding herself in another pony’s arms and feeling warm and safe in a happy embrace. It was hard to get hugs when you were scared of everything. Most of the time Fluttershy was happier by herself, being with her animals and quietly puttering around her house. Going out and seeing other ponies was so hard that most of the time it didn’t seem worth it. But then she didn’t get any hugs at all. It made Fluttershy want to cry.

“I’m a screwed up little pony,” the pegasus sighed, rubbing her face against Rarity’s chest. Rarity blinked and looked down at her in surprise.

“Now why ever would you say that darling?”

“I don’t really like being with other ponies,” said Fluttershy, reaching up with a hoof to bat at one of Rarity’s curls. “I love you girls and I love spending time with you and we always have fun, but I always feel so exhausted afterwards. No matter how much I like my friends hanging out always feels like a chore. There must be something wrong with me.”

“Nonsense,” said Rarity, rubbing her cheek against Fluttershy’s hoof, “you’re just not as socially oriented as some of the rest of us are. You like to keep to yourself and do your own thing, and that’s fine. It makes the fact that you want to spend time with us anyway that much more meaningful.”

Fluttershy considered this, watching molecules of oxygen and nitrogen ricochet around the room as she gently patted Rarity’s fur. The unicorn slumped down on top of Fluttershy, leaning her head on her friend’s flank and letting out a sigh of her own.

“Sometimes I wonder if perhaps I’m not too socially oriented,” she muttered, “do I worry too much about what other ponies think of me? Do I spend too much time making them like me?”

Fluttershy considered this for a moment, letting the universe slowly contract and expand as she and Rarity ran their hooves through each other’s fur.

“If it’s okay for me to not like being around other ponies so much…” she said slowly, “then why wouldn’t it be okay for you to really like being around other ponies?”

Rarity tilted her head slowly back and forth, sloshing the idea round in her brain a little to percolate. “I suppose you’re right,” she said.

“Millennium hand and shrimp,” said Fluttershy.

“Indeed dear.” Rarity let herself slide slowly off of Fluttershy and onto the floor, settling on her back and looking up in wonder at the ceiling. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to trip into space for a little while.”

“I’ll be here when you get back,” said Fluttershy.

“Thanks.”