• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 40,703 Views, 2,158 Comments

The Wizard and the Lonely Princess - Harry Leferts



We all have imaginary friends when growing up, right? Harry's turns out not to be so Imaginary...

  • ...
88
 2,158
 40,703

Chapter 3

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned by Hasbro and Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

"Hello." -Normal Speaking

"Interesting..."-Nightmare Moon speaking

'Huh.' -Normal thoughts.

'All mine...' Nightmare Moon's thoughts


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks after their first meeting, both Harry and Luna were enjoying just kicking back in the sun. After a bit though, Harry began to frown. Having noticed this, Luna turned to him. "Is there something the matter Harry?"

Harry just frowned some more before he answered. "It's just that... Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon have been leaving me alone lately. Don't know why, it's just weird." He then became thoughtful. "They also keep giving me these frightened looks."

Luna just nodded at this as she tapped her chin with her hoof. "You're right." She then closed her eyes as she looked down. "Something really weird is going on here. They also look tired all the time. Dudley too." She then yawned a little before she shook herself. "And they're not the only ones." She then became puzzled. 'Is the fact that I'm tired too somehow connected?' She then shook herself free of her thoughts before she smiled at Harry. "Well, I really don't what's going on at the moment Harry. But I get the feeling that it will be revealed in time."

They then began walking back to #4 just talking (well, Harry's whispering) to each other. After they reached the house, Harry walked in to find that his relatives have begun to ignore him. Puzzled, he continued through the rest of his day/evening and eventually went to bed. When he woke up on the moon however, he found a surprise waiting for him... Luna was still asleep! As he blinked, Harry gently nudged her. "Um... Luna? Aren't you going to wake up?" He then nudged her again, but kept getting no response as she kept sleeping. He then poked her before he grabbed her ears and moved them in different directions before he dropped them. He leant down, he opened one of her eyes and only got a snort in return. Harry then stood back up as he scratched the back of his head with a puzzled look on his face. 'Why is she still asleep? She's always awake when I am?' He suddenly stopped for a moment when he heard something. "Wha... what's that?"

He listened and then jerked as he heard something right next to his ear. "Hello child... I have been waiting for a while to finally meet you... and now that time has come."

After he whipped around, Harry couldn't see anyone there. "Who's there! Show yourself now!" All he got in return is a giggle that caused shivers to run down his spine. "Where are you!"

All was silent for a moment before the voice began to speak again. "Now my dear child, there is no need to be scared. I won't hurt you." The voice then chuckled some. "In fact, I want to meet you. Then again... I guess that one could say that in a sense that we know each other very well by now." The voice chuckled again. "Now... how about we go somewhere for a little chat, shall we?"

Harry got a stubborn look on his face as he continued to look around. "No. I don't know who you are or where you are! I am not leaving Luna alone!"

A moment later, he heard a sigh. "I was hoping to conserve some energy... But I guess I have no other choice..."

Harry was about to say something when he noticed a cloud of purplish smoke that was heading right for him, a moment later his vision was completely filled with it and he felt sleepy before he passed out. About an hour passed and Luna finally woke up to find that Harry's not there. As she looked around she bit her lips. 'What's going on... where's Harry? Does this mean that... he didn't exist?' She began to hyperventilate before she calmed down some. She then took a deep breath. 'Okay Luna, calm down, just calm down... I AM CALMED DOWN! Easy there...' She blinked for a moment as she realized that she was just yelling at herself before she slapped herself. "Get yourself together mare!" She then took a calming breath after she rubbed her cheek. Concentrating, she cast a simple locator spell. After a moment, she started and her eyes flew open as she gasped it told her that he was on the edge before the dark side of the moon. 'What's he doing there! She's there and there's no telling what she might do to him!' With a single beat of her wings, she launched herself into the "Air" before she sped toward where the spell told her that Harry was. "I'm coming Harry!"

Harry meanwhile, woke up to find himself on his back. As he got up on his elbows, he took a look around and found himself just on the other side of a line of shadow. "Where am I...?"

He then heard a cackle and turned to see a purplish-black horse as it walked toward him in the darkened area. The horse was taller than he was and had a mane that looked to be made of space while it also wore several pieces of armor. But what attracted his attention is its eyes. They were an aqua with slitted pupils. "My, my... it's finally time for us to truly meet, you and I my dear child." Harry's eyes widened as he tried to back up due to the undeniable feeling of wrongness that emanated from her. She simply gave him a mock sad look. "Now why are you trying to back away from me child? I promise not to hurt you. I simply wanted to meet you, that's all."

Harry just gulped as he watched her. "Wh... who are you...?" And then he quickly looked around. "And where am I and how did I get here?"

The horse simply laughed at this before she gave him a hooded gaze. "Hm, good questions considering that... she never told you of me. As to where you are... you're almost on the dark side of the moon... my side of the moon." She then took a step toward him, which caused him to scoot back as she bent down, a small smirk upon her lips. "And my name is Nightmare Moon child." Her eyes then gained a malevolent twinkle as her smirk widened. "And let me tell you a little story shall I?"

A little while later, Harry was sitting there long after Nightmare Moon had vanished when Luna arrived. Landing, she took a breath and smiles. "There you are Harry! I've been looking all over for you!" Her smile faltered as she got no response. "Harry... is something... wrong?" After a moment, Harry looked up at her which caused her to startle at the betrayed look on his face. "Harry..."

She took a step toward him only for him to scramble away making her feel as if she was just slapped. He just looked at her with his hands clinched at his sides as he shook. "Why..." He then screamed at her with a small tear in the corner of each eye. "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT WHY YOU'RE ON THE MOON!? ABOUT NIGHTMARE MOON!?"

Luna was quiet for a moment before she sighed as she hung her head. "Because I was ashamed... and afraid..." A tear slowly dripped down and hit the ground as her mane covered her eyes. "Afraid that you would act like this..." Harry started at this and was about to say something when Luna sighed and looked up at him with watery eyes. "But I still should have told you Harry instead of you finding out like this."

Feeling as if there was a lump of lead in his gut, Harry looked down. "I'm sorry... I... I shouldn't have yelled like that..." After a moment of having bitten his lip, Harry made his way over which caused Luna to shut her eyes as she expected him to do something... but not what he did which was to hug her. This caused her eyes to widened in that for all the time that she had known him, he rarely initiated a hug himself. "I'm sorry Luna..."

Luna just wrapped her foreleg around Harry and held him close. After a few minutes, they pulled away from each other. Luna then sighed and shook her head. "Harry, I'm sorry that you had to find out what you did in the manner that you did..." She then took a deep breath and placed a hoof over Harry's mouth as he was about to say something. She then sighed. "Now... what exactly did she tell you?" Harry told her and she nodded thoughtfully. "She told you... some of it. Not all of it."

Harry just looked up at her. "Um... what don't I know?"

Luna looked up thoughtfully herself before she nodded to herself. "I suppose that it's time for me to tell you about my history. It's only fair since I know yours... or at least what you know Harry." She then motioned to a spot to where Harry sat down. "My tale is quite long so I can't tell you everything Harry that will come at a later point when I’m sure that you can fully or at least better understand my explanations but I will tell you for now what I can. And that will be so that you can understand a little better what happened." She then softly smiled. "I guess that the first thing that I should do is confirm that I do have an older sister, her name is Celestia and she controls the sun." She then became slightly saddened. "Unfortunately, I never knew my parents. They left soon after I was born and all Celly would tell me is that they loved me but had to leave for some reason. Something about them no longer being needed."

She shook her head as Harry held her hoof. "I... guess that neither of us knew our parents then..."

Luna just nodded slowly and nuzzled him for a quick second. "Guess so... that's another way that we're alike." She then cocked her head to the side with a comically confused look on her face. "Where was I again?" Harry just smiled as he pointed out that she had just been talking about her parents. "Right. Thanks Harry." She then cleared her throat while she smiled on the inside at made Harry smile again. "Right. So Celly raised me from a young foal and as time went on, and we had many adventures as we explored what would later be called Equestria. Eventually, we settled down and ruled over a group of ponies..." As she saw Harry's interested expression, she smiled. "I suppose that I should explain the three kinds of ponies since up to now I've only named them, hm? Well... there's Earth Ponies. These ponies are physically strong and while they don't have obvious magics, they have their own unique brand of magic that helps them to grow plants and build. Then you have the Unicorn ponies. They can use their horns to channel magics that can have different effects depending on the spell."

Harry blinked and looked at Luna with a bright look. "Like you?"

Luna nodded as she remembered how hard it was to get Harry to believe that there might be such a thing as magic in the first place... which was harder then it was making him believe that she was real. "Yes Harry, like me." After she took another breath, she continued. "And finally, there's the Pegasus Ponies. They can control the weather using magic." She then leaned toward Harry with a wink. "And me and Celly ruled over them all." She frowned at this as she looked at the orb that seemingly floated above the horizon (which, Harry already knew was Equestria according to Luna). "That... might have been where the problem started." Her expression took on a far off quality as she remembered. "Me and Celly..." Her expression soured some. "Well, Celly for the most part anyways, had a lot of duties that only grew with time. And while she was never lonely ruling the daytime hours, I had no one." Saddened, she looked at Harry. "While I was awake tending to the night, everypony else would be quietly sleeping." She bit her lips some as she remembered the lonely nights where she only had her Guards, who never spoke to her. "I tried everything that I could. I made my nights more and more beautiful, each one more spectacular than the previous one... but it made no difference. Soon, I started hearing a little voice in my head telling me that maybe it wasn't worth it. That maybe I should make them stay awake for my night. Finally, I went to Celly and asked her to take over the day for just a little bit. Just for a day, no more. But... she laughed at me."

Harry scowled at this and growled, a flash of anger in his eyes. "How could she do that to you! I-"

He got cut off by a sharp retort from Luna. "Enough!" He looked at her as she stared at him through narrow eyes before they softened. "I don't want you to go down the same road that I did Harry. I let my anger get out of control and I am not about to let the same thing happen to you."

Harry just grumbled. "But... she hurt you..."

Luna shook her head before she hugged him. "Harry, I've had a long time to think on it and I've realized that she didn't mean anything by it. She wasn't trying to be mean, she merely responded the same way that I would to a young foal wanting to do something that they weren't quite ready to do yet." Harry just nodded and Luna pulled away before she sighed and closed her eyes. "But it was what happened next that pushed me over the edge. One of the Courtiers heard our conversation and I overheard some things... seems that the ponies were scared of me. I represented the darkness that terrified them. That... ate away at me. It didn't help matters that at the time weird things were happening around me." Upon seeing Harry look at her with a questioning gaze, she shrugged. "Both me and Celly knew it wasn't me. Sometimes things would happen on the other side of the castle. Nothing too big. Things might go missing, or get thrown around. One of the guards got hit by a flying pastry for example." Both her and Harry shared a laugh at that. But then she became serious. "Near the end though... things got a bit dangerous."

She shook her head and frowned as Harry cocked his head to the side. "How so?"

Luna just sighed. "Fires started to be set all around the castle me and Celly lived in. At first, they were small, like match sized, but they didn't stay like that for very long. Once, Celly was sitting on a cushion and she got up for a moment and when she turned back, it was ablaze." Luna then scowled. "And, of course, I got the blame from our people."

Harry stared before he scowled. "But that's not fair! You had nothing to do with it, so how could they blame you!"

Luna just shook her head before she shrugged. "Ponies, and I suppose humans as well, fear what they don't understand and will place blame somewhere, even if otherwise it makes no sense." She slowly shook her head as she sighed. "But what I heard from that conversation... the Courtier was stating that there shouldn't be a night anymore and that I was trying to take Celly's place. I felt... so angry, sad, frustrated... all kinds of things. I even started to hate Celly as much as I tried not to." After she took a deep breath, she let it out. "So I then threw myself into studying any form of magic that I could get my hands on. Anything to prove that I was just as good as my sister, if not better. Finally, I found what I was looking for in a book that apparently belonged to father. It was a ritual that was supposed to amplify a pony's magical strength. So... I prepared the ritual. I was going to show them all how powerful I was! That I was equal to my sister." As she swallowed, Luna clinched her eyes shut. "I was wrong. By this point I had taken to listening to that little voice in my head that kept pushing me farther and farther. Celly tried to snap me out of it but..." While she sighed sadly, Luna opened her eyes to see Harry for a moment before she closed them, she then felt him wrapping his arms around her as he tried to comfort her. Harry opened his mouth to tell her that she didn't have to tell him anymore, only for her to lay a hoof across it. "No Harry, you need to know this... you need to know the truth of what happened." As she took a shuddering breath, she blinked away some tears. "I performed the ritual and everything seemed to go perfectly, I was Powerful... until I realized that the ritual also amplified my negative emotions. And... that there was something else in control of my body and power..."

Harry sucked in a breath. "Nightmare Moon..."

Luna nodded. "Yes, she was born in that moment. I still don't quite know what happened... but I do know that there was a fight between Nightmare and Celly and that Celly won. She banished us both here to the moon using the Elements of Harmony that our parents left for us, sealing our powers away so that we're only as strong as a powerful unicorn. It also split us somehow. I live on the light side of the moon and Nightmare rules the dark side of the moon. And that's about the extent to which I know what happened." Luna then gained a sour look on her face. "Somehow though, we can still communicate and sometimes I can hear and feel her taunts even if I'm nowhere near her." She then looked down at Harry, who's had his arms around her neck as a bittersweet smile crossed her muzzle. "But you know what Harry? Somehow it doesn't seem that bad since I now got you for a friend... my best friend."

Harry just hugged her tighter as she reciprocated. He then smiled before he spoke in a voice just barely above a whisper. "You're my best friend too Luna."

Her eyes widened for a moment before they closed as a very large smile stretched across her face as tears of happiness leaked from her eyes. Unnoticed by them, over on a hill on the dark side of the moon, Nightmare Moon was watching them through narrow eyes. A smirk stretched across her face as she chuckled. 'Very good. It worked perfectly little Princess. Now he's more attached to us then he was before. Soon... soon we'll have his complete trust and faith. And then...' Her smirk turned into a grin as her eyes became hooded. 'Then... we'll make them all pay. Those that hurt and betrayed us... and those who've hurt him. They will be on their knees before us.' An image flashed through her mind of an older, darker looking Harry in evil looking armor as he stood beside a throne where she sat which caused her to purr. She then turned her back and started to vanish into a cloud of mist. "And now... for some fun. Silly Princess hasn't realized that not all our abilities are gone yet..."

And then she vanished with a dark chuckle. Back with the two friends, Luna suddenly stiffened as a shiver ran down her spine. She then looked around which caused Harry to look up at her. "Luna? What's wrong?" Luna just shook off the feeling that something was not right and looked at Harry with a frown. "It's nothing. Just an odd feeling is all." She then shook her head and put a smile on her face. "Enough of that. How about we head back now, hm?" With a nod, the two began their trek back to where they've been staying. As they did so, they walked mostly in silence until Luna finally couldn't take it and looked toward Harry. "You're awfully quiet Harry. Something you want to ask?"

Harry took a moment before he nodded. "Um... it's about your story..." Luna frowned but nodded anyways. "Well... I was wondering about the weird things that happened around you..."

Luna just chuckled and shook her head. "And you're worried that the same thing might happen to you, am I right?" Harry just nodded as he rubbed his arm nervously. Luna just softly smiled which allowed him to relax some. "There is nothing wrong with you Harry. Nothing. You trust me right?" Harry slowly nodded. "And you've already told me about the weird things that have happened to you right?"

Harry nodded again, slightly confused with the direction that the conversation had been heading in. "Well... yeah." He then looked over at her with a puzzled look. "But... it's like what happened to you, isn't it?" Luna then shook her head which caused poor Harry to become yet more confused. "But what's happening then?"

Luna then took a breath before she let it out as a sigh. "I was hoping that this conversation could wait for a while." She then gabe Harry a serious look. "Harry, remember how hard it was to convince you that magic was real? Let alone that I could use it?"

Harry just nodded and looked down as he kicked a rock by his foot. "Yeah... sorry about that..." He then looked back her. "But... what does that have to do with anything?" He then blinked. "Wait... how did you do that stuff and why haven't I never seen you before?"

Luna shook her head while she rolled her eyes at this. "No Harry... What I want to say is..." She trailed off as she tried to find the words to express what she wanted. After a moment she sighed and stopped. She then looked over at her young friend. "Harry, what you've described to me as happening to you has nothing to do with what happened to me. Understood?"

Harry just nodded. "Then... what is happening around me? If it isn't you..." A puzzled look came over his face as he continued. "And it isn't... whatever happened to you, then what was it?"

Luna smiled slightly. "While it never happened to me personally, I did see it happen." Her smile then dropped. "You see Harry, I believe that you, yourself, have magic." Seeing Harry was about to protest, she held up a hoof. "Everything that you've told me I've seen and heard of happening to young unicorns that can't control their magic when they get really emotional."

Harry just blinked. "Ba... but that can't be..." He then gained a confused expression on his face as he looked down in puzzlement. 'How... how could I be magical...' He then shook his head and looked Luna in the eyes. "Luna... did you give me magic?"

For a brief moment a completely confused expression covered her face until she shook her head. "Where did you get an idea like that Harry? How could I even give you magic before I even met you?"

Harry just shrugged. "Well... I've never heard of anyone else with magic and you got magic... and you told me that we're somehow connected while in different universes... I still don't understand that." He added the last bit in a whisper before he continued. "So... could your magic be why we met? Somehow I got some of it?"

Luna just looked at him in complete bafflement for a moment before she raised a hoof and took a breath... Only to expel it a moment later as she rubbed the back of her neck. "It..." She then sighed as she held her head between her hooves and mumbled. As she opened her eyes, she shook her head at the sight of Harry as he stared at her. "I... suppose it's possible. Highly unlikely though. But it could have happened..." Her eyes grew distant as she stared across the lunar landscape. "When Celly banished me and Nightmare, we did split... maybe there were other splinters of my magic? I suppose if one was inside the rift that brought me and Nightmare here when it closed it could have went to another universe... And that would explain why we met since it would seek out the greatest concentration of magic similar to it... GAH!" As she held her head, she shouted in frustration which caused Harry to back up a step. Upon seeing this, she calmed down. "I'm not mad at you Harry... just at myself if this is true." She then rubbed her forehead. "If it is... then we could have met earlier if I wasn't asleep..."

Harry blinked at this. "Asleep? Why would you be asleep?" Luna just looked at him blankly before she gestured around them which caused Harry to sheepishly chuckle while as he rubbed his neck. "Oh... right. Moon. Nothing to do..."

Luna just smirked. "Pretty much." She then sighed and shrugged a little. "And because of that, I mostly slept. Made time go by faster." Luna then frowned as she looked away. "And I likely made things worse for you if it's true..."

Harry just hugged her which caused a sad smile to reach her face. "That's okay Luna." Soon, the two broke apart and began to continue to walk together. After a little while, Harry looked at his friend. "Um... so what are we going to do then?"

Luna looked up at the stars thoughtfully and then back at Harry with a smile. "Well... If I am at fault, then it's only right that I make sure that your magic doesn't hurt anyone."

Harry just looked at her. "But... it's your..."

He then trailed off as he sees Luna shaking her head. "No Harry, it's yours." She then stopped and laid a hoof on his chest. "After it being in you for so long, it's become part of you." She then frowned. "I should still teach you control. A really bad outburst might do some damage." She then smirked as she held her head up high. "And who better than me to teach you?" Harry's slightly sarcastic reply of her sister caused her expression to comically sour and for another chase between the two to erupt. Luna however was smiling on the inside that he felt close enough to her to actually say something like that in the way he did...