• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 40,915 Views, 2,159 Comments

The Wizard and the Lonely Princess - Harry Leferts



We all have imaginary friends when growing up, right? Harry's turns out not to be so Imaginary...

  • ...
89
 2,159
 40,915

Chapter 10

Well folks, time for the sorting. I know that some of you won't like how I do it and I am sorry for that. However it is something that I had decided on when I had made an outline. Anyways, hope that you all enjoy the chapter and continue reading.

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned by Hasbro and Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

"Hello"-Normal Speaking

"Interesting..."-Nightmare Moon speaking

'Huh.' -Normal thoughts.

'All mine...' Nightmare Moon's thoughts
_____________________________________________________________

As he stepped through the doors of the train, the cold night air hit Harry's face which caused him to sigh. "That feels good."

Above him, from where she stood on the roof of the train, Luna nodded as she closed her eyes in contentment. "It does." A slightly sad and thoughtful expression crossed her face. "Reminds me of Equestria at night actually..."

Nightmare frowned as she looked down from her spot on Harry's shoulders. "It does..."

Grimacing for a moment, Harry reached up and gently ran his fingers through Nightmare's hair, partially to cause her to smile again, and partially to calm his own nerves. "Well, enough of that I think."

He didn't have time to do anything else as Tonks came up and clapped him on the shoulder. "Well kiddo, here's where we part for a while." She then jerked her thumb over at Hagrid as he started calling for the First Years while Neville and Hermione walked up. "Ickle Firsties like you go a different way than the rest of us big kids."

Her grin soon disappeared as Nightmare widened her eyes comically before she commented. "Should you go that way then? Because I'm not too sure that you're that mature." She then looked Tonks over. "Nope. Not mature at all. Or big."

Harry could have sworn that Tonks' eyes turned black as she clinched her fist around her wand but passed it off as it being dark out as he admonished his Alicorn friend. "That's enough Nightmare."

He apologized to Tonks only for her to wave him off. "Nah, don't worry about it Kiddo. Besides, that doll's mouth is amusing... as long as it's not directed at me." After giving one last glare at the smirking Nightmare, she waved as she walked off. "Have fun. It'll be one heck of an experience."

As he shook his head at her in partial amusement, Harry turned to the other two. "So then? Want to head out?"

They nodded and began walking towards Hagrid who grinned as soon as he caught sight of Harry. "Yeh all right there Harry?" Having gotten a nod and a smile from the young wizard, he looked around to see that the rest of the First Years were there and nodded. "C'mon! follow me - any more firs' years? Mind yeh step, now! Firs' Years follow me!"

As they headed down the slippery path, Harry noticed Hermione as she rubbed her arms through the thick cloaks they were all wearing as well as her shivering which caused him to frown. "You cold Hermione?"

She just nodded as she shivered. "Yeah, it's colder than In thought it might be." A moment later she found that Harry's cloak was being placed around her shoulders which caused her to look at him with wide eyes. "Harry! What are you doing!? Aren't you cold?"

Harry frowned and shook his head. "Actually no. It's a bit brisk mind you, but not that cold."

Beside him, Neville looked at him stunned and with a little bit of awe. "Really? Because I'm freezing too."

Harry just gave him an amused look. "Sorry Neville, got only one cloak and being a gentleman, I'm giving it to Hermione."

Neville and Hermione blushed, though with the cold it was hard to tell, but for different reasons. As she flew close, Luna smiled at him. "Want me to land and cover you up?"

Harry shook his head slightly while he whispered just loud enough for her to hear. "Not at the moment. It's not nearly as cold as it was in that shack right now." He then cocked his head to the side. "In fact... it's not too much different than a cold spring day."

Luna made a thoughtful noise before she looked up at the sky. 'How odd... It's nearly as cold as that shack was and yet now he's barely noticing it. Strange that...' She was distracted from her thoughts as Hagrid called out that they'll be within sight of Hogwarts. Grinning, she dropped down to just above head height. "Well now, let's see what all the fuss is about then, shall we?" As they turned the bend, her jaw dropped as she stumbled in mid-air as around them gasps arose. "I..."

Nightmare just nodded, her own mouth open. "Yeah... now I'm impressed." She then closed her mouth and noticed the boats on the lake shore before she smirked. "Ready for a little boat ride kids?"

Hagrid motioned to the boats with a smile. "Come on then! No more than four to a boat now!" As they got into a boat, Harry and his group were joined by a young girl who Luna recognized as being the one she had seen with the elderly witch wearing the monocle. After he looked around, Hagrid nodded before shouting. "Everyone in?" Seeing as there was no one else, he smiled as he jabbed his umbrella in the direction of the castle. "Well then, FOREWARD!"

With a jolt, the boats began their journey across the glass-like surface of the lake. Turning, Harry smiled as he held his hand toward the red-haired girl who had joined them in the boat. "Hello there. We forgot to introduce ourselves. I'm Harry Potter, the girl next to me is Hermione Granger and the boy sitting there is Neville Longbottom."

Shocked at being in the same boat as the Boy-Who-Lived, she jerked a little in her seat which caused the boat to rock a little. After she calmed down, and seeing the welcoming smiles, the girl smiled as well before she shook the offered hand. "I'm Susan. Susan Bones."

Neville's eyebrows shot up as he straightened. "Bones? You woul-wouldn't happen to be Amelia Bones' niece would you?" Upon seeing the questioning looks from the other two, he blushed some out of embarrassment. "She's an old friend of my Gran and happens to be the head of Magical Law Enforcement." They both nodded in response and Neville was about to say something else when he noticed something. "Um... Harry? Nightmare looks like she's about to fall off the boat..."

Whipping his head around, Harry spotted her as she leaned precariously over the side of the boat, staring into the lake's dark depths. "Nightmare!"

She just scowled, as none of them noticed the attention they're getting. "There's something down there. Can't quite make it out though..." After she quickly glanced around the boat, Nightmare spotted a stick that laid in the bottom and grabbed it before she leaned over the side once more. "Now then... what's down there I wonder..."

Sighing as she shook her head, Luna stood upright in the air as she crossed her forelegs across her chest as she watched Nightmare hit the water with the stick. "You were likely seeing things." She rolled her eyes as Nightmare dipped the stick in the water and swirled it around, she shook her head as she glimpsed skyward. "Honestly. If anything it was a... big... fish..." Having caught sight of Nightmare frozen with wide eyes, she looked down before she screamed as she saw an eyeball the size of a dinner plate. "WHAT THE HAY!?"

As she dropped the stick, Nightmare yelped before she scrambled under Harry's shirt as he watched with wide eyes as a tentacle rose out of the water to screams from the other boats. His head slowly turned to Hagrid who was nearby laughing in his own boat. "Ha... Hagrid! What the Hay is going on!? What is that!?"

While he flicked a tear from his eye, Hagrid took a breathless sigh. "I needed that I did." He then looked at Harry with his grin visible. "Tha' was the giant squid Harry."

Harry blinked once and then again before he looked at the now sinking tentacle. "A... giant squid..." Hagrid nodded as he still shook with suppressed laughter. "Is this lake freshwater or salt water."

Giving him an odd look mixed with both confusion and mirth, Hagrid snorted. "Why freshwater of course Harry! It is a lake after all."

Harry just continued to stare as Hermione gapped before she shook her head. "A giant squid... living in a freshwater lake..."

Hagrid nodded. "Yup! Got him off this American chappie from Oklahoma. Turns out that he was breeding fresh water giant octopus and tried it first on a giant squid he did." Hagrid then became thoughtful "I wonder wha' ever became of him...?"

Nightmare just stared at him before she looked back at the water. "You have a giant squid... an animal that is one of the biggest and meanest predators in the ocean... in a lake... next to a school for children..." When Hagrid told her that he was harmless, she stared at him some more before she sank down into Harry's sweater while mumbling. "I'm... just going to stay here. Yes. Right here away from the water until we get to land... nice... dry...safe land where there are no giant squid..." Soon, they made it to dry land where Hagrid handed Neville his toad (which had been hiding in his boat) and they were escorted into the school by a stern looking middle aged woman who was identified by Hagrid as Professor McGonagall. After a moment she looked them over and raises an eyebrow at Nightmare, who's head was poking out of Harry's sweater. Having noticed this, Nightmare gave her a deadpan stare. "How about you take a picture, it'll last longer."

Seeing the raised eyebrows and look of surprise, Harry grabbed Nightmare's muzzle and held it closed as the plush struggled. "Sorry about that. She's in a mood since we got surprised by the squid."

A moment of silence passed before McGonagall nodded. "Very well." She then glanced down to see Nightmare still glaring at her defiantly. "Perhaps next time she should be left with the rest of the luggage?"

She's surprised as Harry gave her a quick glare before he shook his head. "Sorry Ma'am. She goes just about everywhere with me."

Professor McGonagall shook her head. "Well, I am sorry young man, but she will not be going to classes." She then turned so that no one could see the slight smile on her face. "Now then, if you would follow me?"

They followed her into the castle before they came to a stop by a large door from which hundreds of voices could be heard. She went on about the Houses and asked them to wait to be brought in before she left. After overheard that there was a test where they would sorted, Harry frowned a little. 'A test? Of what sort I wonder...' Seeing that Neville was nervous, Harry clapped him on the shoulder. "Something the matter Neville?"

He slowly nodded as he gulpped, Hermione beside him quickly reciting what Harry believed to be spells. "It's just... what if I fail?" Neville paled even more as the red head from earlier mentioned that his brothers told him they have to wrestle trolls. "Tro... trolls..."

As he facepalmed, Harry turned to see the red head from before. "Uh... I'm sorry but earlier I didn't catch your name?"

The red haired boy blinked for a moment before he shrugged. "Name's Ron Weasley. Your's mate?"

Harry just smiled. "Harry Potter." Seeing the gasp, he rolled his eyes. "Anyways... about the troll, I think your brothers are putting you on." He then motioned around him at the other kids. "I doubt that this 'Test' is very difficult. If no other reason than a number of us don't know any magic and we're children."

Ron just groaned. "And those two would do just that."

Neither of them got to say anymore as a bunch of ghosts drifted into view discussing someone by the name of "Peeves". They were a bit startled when they saw the students and seem curious around Harry, particularly giving glances at where Luna was, though none of the three noticed. A few moments later McGonagall arrived and asked them to follow her. Once they were through the door, Nick frowned thoughtfully before he turned to the Fat Friar. "Do you have any idea what is following that boy? There's something there but..."

The Friar shook his head and was about to answer when another, more chilling voice spoke up. "It was not a ghost. Of that you can be sure of." Turning, both of them watched as the Bloody Baron gazed at Harry's back calmly. "No... not a ghost but something... else entirely." He then turned to the other ghosts. "However, it is not a threat. That much I can tell. None of you though are to do anything to make that change... understood?" They nodded and underneath his hood he smiled before he looked back at the line of First Years as he passed on his way to the Slytherin table while they looked around in astonishment. 'Seems that we might have a interesting next couple of years...'

Upon seeing the eyes and faces that were watching them (which to him seem to be staring at him, judging him) Harry gulped before he glanced up and had his breath taken away by the sight of the ceiling which showed the velvety black night sky outside speckled with stars. Beside him, he heard Hermione whisper that it's enchanted and how she had read about it in Hogwarts: A History. Slowly nodding, Harry whispered back. "Reading about something is one thing... seeing with your own eyes however is another..."

He could feel Nightmare as she nodded while she stuck her head out of his sweater as behind and above Hermione, Neville, and Luna did the same thing. As she still stared at the ceiling, Luna softly smiled as she whispered to herself. "I have to learn how they did this. It would be perfect for mine and Celly's throne room..."

Having heard her, Harry just smiled as he glanced at her. 'And if need be I'll learn it myself for you.' He turned back to the head of the line having not seen Luna turn to him with a partially puzzled, partially thankful glance before she shrugged it off. He then spotted an old man at the head of the professor's table which caused him to frown as he recognized him from a chocolate frog card. 'So... that's Dumbledore...'

Her head poking out of Harry's sweater, Nightmare gave a quick glare at Dumbledore before she rolled her eyes at his appearance. "For Equestria's sake, is he trying to perpetuate the stereotype of old wizard mentors?" She then noticed him looking at her which caused her to shoot him an acidic glare, which, if anything, causes an enormous amount of amusement for him if his expression was anything to go by. "Stupid old man..." Her attention was soon caught as McGonagall brought out an old stool and a ratty looking hat which she set down on top of the stool which caused the possessed plush to snort derisively. "What? Are we supposed to pull a rabbit out of it or something?" Her expression soon changed and her jaw dropped as the hat begans to sing of all things. "What... the... bucking... Hay..."

That snapped Luna out of her shock and she gave a slight slap to Nightmare's head which caused the doll to turn and glare at her. "Language." Her eyes suddenly widened and she seemed to pale quite a bit as the pieces from the song fell into place. "Oh Hay." She then turned to Harry only to see the nervous expression on his face as he too realized what was going to happen. "This... isn't good..."

As Nightmare looked between them, Harry shook his head before he grimaced. "No it isn't..." Nightmare now realized the same thing which caused her to shudder, more afraid for Harry then herself. Harry watched as first Susan heads up and was sorted into Hufflepuff. Harry waved to her despite the sick feeling in his stomach, Harry gave her a smile and a wave. A few names Later Hermione was called up and was sorted into Gryffindor. Then Neville was sorted into the Lion's House as well, though Harry had a brief chuckle at his expense when he ran away with the hat from the stool. Finally though, it was his turn. Once his name was called every eye in the school turned towards him as he heard conversations about himself being begun. As he reached the hat, he took a deep breath before he sat on the stool. 'You can do this Harry...'

His last sight before the brim of the hat covered his eyes was that of a worried Luna standing in front of him. After what felt like only a second, Harry could feel... something. It took him a moment to recognize the feeling of someone else's magic trying to enter him and pushed back only for a voice to whisper next to his ear impatiently, a moment later he realized that the voice is in his head. 'Oh, enough of that boy. I am not going to hurt you.' Harry gripped the stool's edges tightly and a moment later, heard a scoff. 'Is that what you're worried about child? That I might tell someone about your friends? Fear not because I am unable to speak to anyone about what I see except in the case of danger to the school itself.'

Harry relaxed some and let out a breath that he hadn't know he was holding. 'Sorry about that. It's just...'

He heard a soft snort. 'Yes, I can just imagine how people might react, so no fear for that young man. Now then, to sort you...' A moment or two passed and he could hear an interested tone from the hat. 'Fascinating. Simply Fascinating. Haven't had one like you child in years.. You could fit in many different houses. You have a thirst for knowledge as well as a keen mind, otherwise you would not have figured out that you could talk to me through your thoughts. But not just for magical knowledge! Oh no! You also have a thirst for non-magical knowledge as well. I haven't seen something like this since that Albert fellow came here for independent studies back in... 1894 I believe. He was here for a few months but with the help of a... well, enough of that.' After a few more moments, the hat continued to make comments. 'Yes, lots of loyalty here as well. A fountain of it as a matter of fact. And a thirst to prove yourself as well. And a lot of courage as well. Hm... most difficult. Wherever shall I put you now? Gryffindor? Ravenclaw? Hufflepuff perhaps? Maybe Slytherin-'

Harry cut him off there. 'Please don't.'

The Hat was silent before a interested chuckle comes through the voice. 'Not Slytherin eh? I see that you truly don't have any of the usual prejudices against that House. So then. What particular reason are you asking for you not to be placed there?' The Hat then caught something. 'Something about Mister Malfoy eh? Don't like him?'

Harry sighed a little. 'I could deal with him easily enough. But I'm more afraid what might happen if he were to make a... misstep if you would.'

This, if anything caught the Hat's interest. 'Oh-ho! Something about your two companions hm?'

Harry just responded weakly. 'Well... yes and they're my two best friends...'

The Hat chuckled as a feeling of amusement grew. 'Yes, you're quite close. And I can see that you got more from your father then just his looks.' Having felt the confusion from Harry, he chuckled. 'Ah, the young. Now then, let's see...' The hat suddenly grew silent for a moment before Harry could feel it yell into his head. 'ARE YOU MAD BOY! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT THING IS!? WHAT IT'S DONE!?'

Angered by its insinuation, Harry shouted back. 'THAT "THING" IS A "SHE" AND HAS A NAME! DON'T YOU DARE!'

The Hat just growled at him. 'THAT THING IS NOTHING MORE THEN A RUTHLESS MONSTER! SHE HAS EVEN TOLD YOU THAT SHE WANTS TO RULE HER WORLD! HOW COULD YOU OF ALL PEOPLE BE NEAR IT!? SHE'S NO BETTER THEN THE MAN WHO KILLED YOUR PARENTS!'

Everything in Harry's head froze for a moment and the Hat was about to continue when it was hit with the mental equivalent of a sledgehammer. Having dazed it, Harry began speaking in a voice that sent chills down the Hat's metaphorical spine. 'Don't... don't you dare compare her with that vile creature. She and it are nothing alike. And so help me if you go on...'

After a moment of silence, Harry could feel a quite feeling of anger directed at him, which he beared the brunt of with his own helping him brush it off. 'I don't think that you quite understand what's going on here boy.' The Hat continued as Harry mentally glared at it. 'I am in charge of sorting and identifying possible dangers that students might present. And this... Nightmare is most certainly a danger to the whole school. If I so wanted, not only could I have you booted from this school, but also make sure that the Aurors arrive to take you and your friend away. You would likely never see the light of day from outside an institution ever again while that being would be taken away and destroyed as the vile thing it is.'

Harry was silent until... 'Go ahead.' The Hat reeled from shock as Harry continued with a edge of steel. 'Go ahead and I swear that you will be gone first. I will fight with everything I have for them.'

The Hat mentally blinked. 'And you would die. At least one here would kill you to prevent a possible great evil from escaping.'

Harry just snarled. 'As... I... Said... Go... right bucking ahead!'

A silence seemed to stretch until the Hat sighed. 'And so you are willing to face death itself for the two...' He then snorted before full blown laughter erupted. After what seems like hours, he settled down. 'Loyalty and pure utter balls as I believe young ones would call your courage. I see though that nothing that I say will move you. Also, I can feel that you honestly believe that she won't harm anyone not deserving of it...' Another moment of silence passed. 'Very well then. I will stay silent as long as you can keep her under control. Now then... with what you've shown only two Houses can possibly hold you. Hufflepuff due to loyalty and Gryffindor due to bravery. Either would fit, neither more than the other. So where...' Harry could feel amusement from the Hat while his own head was still spinning. 'Good thing that we have... extenuating circumstances in the case of your... friend. Hufflepuff might not be able to deal with her. But... the House of the Lionhearted should! So better be GRYFFINDOR!' Shocked as he knew that last bit had been shouted out, Harry could only nod as the Hat gave him one last bit. 'And do not worry. As long as you keep her under a semblance of control, I will not say a word about her. If you can't...'

Knowing the hanging threat, Harry gave a mental nod. 'Very well. I'll not have a problem then.' Harry then mentally sighed as he can feel the Hat being taken off. 'Thank you.'

The Hat said one last thing to him before the connection was cut. 'You're welcome.' As Harry got up and walked to the table before he was grabbed by the Weasley Twins, the Hat tilted slightly. 'Your anger allowed me to see more in you then you thought child. Seems that Gryffindor gave me quite the amount of his own gambling instincts. Show me that I was right to allow this. Show me that you're right...'

As he sat down next to Hermione, Harry was surprised that what felt like hours was in fact just minutes. Soon after a feast began and Harry, using skills gained during his stay with the Dursleys, slipped small pieces of food down to Luna where she was under the table. The feast soon passed with only a few moments of excitement (such as when Nick shows off why he's nearly headless to the fascination of Nightmare and disgust of Luna). The warnings also caught their attention and before they knew it, all the students were trudging off to bed. As he fell back unto the bed after having closing the curtains, Harry sighed as he stretched while Nightmare examined the bed before she nodded. "Yes, this shall do nicely."

Suddenly having remembered what happened, Harry sat up and listened only to hear snores and other sounds of sleep from the neighbouring beds. As he took a breath, he motioned Luna and Nightmare close. "I... got something to tell you..."

He went back over the conversation with the Sorting Hat, as he learned it was called, and watched as the various expressions crossed Luna's face while Nightmare's stayed unreadable. As he finished, Luna just snarled. "You mean to tell me that Hat threatened Nightmare and you?"

Harry just nodded. "Yeah. And-Oof!" He fell back on his back and looked up to see Nightmare as she stood on his upper chest, her eyes glowing with anger. "You are the biggest foal I have ever met Harry James Potter..." Stung slightly by her comments, he began to hang his head, only for Nightmare to grasp his chin as she forced him to look her in the eyes. "That situation could have gone so wrong for you in a number of ways. Thankfully you're luckier then anypony I have ever met."

Harry just gaped a bit as Luna turned to her with surprise. "Wait... you're not angry with him due to the danger you were put into?"

Nightmare merely snorted. "I was and am in no real danger." She then looked away. "You on the other hand placed yourself in great danger." A moment later she found herself being held in a hug by Harry. "What do you think you're doing?"

Harry just smiled at her. "Thanks."

As she scowled, Nightmare looked away. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

A moment later, Harry's arms fell away as he stares up at the top of the bed as Nightmare stayed where she was. After a few minutes he frowned and took off his glasses and rubbed at his eyes which caused Luna to come down. "Your eyes bothering you again?"

Harry sighed as he let his hands drop. "Yeah. Got a headache again as well."

The two Alicorns frowned at that as Luna picked up the glasses with her telekinesis and examined them. "Maybe you need a new pair of glasses? Because you've had this pair since before we met."

Nightmare nodded. "Yes, getting headaches from stressing your eyes is not good Harry." As she ignored the looks of shock from her having used his name, she continued. "I wonder if the school nurse could help us..."

Harry looked at Nightmare in shock. "You... called me by my name..."

Nightmare started and then scowled as she twisted around. "Yeah well, I decided to be nice and do so since you did stand up for me. Sue me." Having noticed him wince, she sighed before she got off him and made her way to his head. Manuvering, she sat with her back legs on either side of Harry's head and began rubbing the sides of his forehead. As she channelled her magic into her hooves, she smiled slightly as he sighed in relief. "Don't count on me doing this often."

Harry nodded with a smile. "I won't." Closing his eyes, he relaxed as he felt Nightmare's magic. While Luna's could have been said to be like a calm, clear night, Nightmare's magic was more like a foggy, windy night. After a little bit he opened his eyes and chuckled. "You know, it's odd. I could almost swear that at times I can see better with my glasses off then with them on. Even if it's only slight."

From where she was beside him propped up on her "Elbow", Luna shook her head. "That's all just in your head Harry." Seeing that he was about to say something, she held up a hoof. "Harry, you've never worn glasses on the moon since you never needed them. So, your mind is used to being able to see without them and tricks itself." She then fell onto her back. "Besides, with how your eyes seem to be strained at times, I'm more willing to bet that it's because you need a stronger prescription, not less of one."

Not wanting to argue at the moment after the long day he had, had, Harry simply shrugged before he leaned back. Eyes still closed as Nightmare used her magic to help his headache, he smiled. "Hey, Nightmare?"

She simply nodded. "Yes Harry?"

He opened his eyes and looked at her. "When me and Luna head to the moon tonight, are you going to join us?"

A look of shock passed over Nightmare's face before she looked at Luna and saw a pleading look before she understood. 'I see... what happened frightened you with how close it came, didn't it?' She then smiled and nodded. "Very well then. I'll join you two shortly." Harry just nodded as his and Luna's eyes closed and they both drifted off. After a minute, Nightmare realized something as she looked him over and saw him still in his uniform and on top of the bed sheets which caused her to gain a deadpan expression. "Oh... you have got to be kidding..." A rather large amount of magic later as well as care not to wake him up, Nightmare managed to get him into the bed before she sighed as she slipped under the covers and fell asleep too...