• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 5,055 Views, 106 Comments

Of Harmony & Chaos - BBeee



A history fic focusing on Celestia, Luna, Discord and their friends.

  • ...
3
 106
 5,055

Picking Yourself Up

“Uhh…”

“Hmm.”

“Pst, Surprise! Do something! This guy is creeping me out!”

“What do you want me to do!?”

“I don’t know! Just make him stop staring at us like that!”

“How!?”

“Surprisena, Firefly, please… I’m sure Chief…?

“Rockheart.”

“Chief Rockheart will… talk, when he’s… ready?”

In some ways, sitting before the stony gaze of the buffalo chief was a far worse experience than the desert had been. The awkwardness inflicted by Rockheart’s steely gaze was just as uncomfortable mentally as the heat and sand of the arid wastes had been physically. It was as if there was something constantly bothering the muscle-bound creature, but under no circumstances should anypony enquire as to what it was, or even talk without first having been talked to.

“Do any of you realise how close you all were to never awakening again?” The question stung, but demanded an answer.

“Uhh… quite?” Surprise replied, trying to inject a hint of cheer into her voice; a move she soon regretted after Rockheart focused his attention onto her.

“Had we been a few minutes longer, then you would have all been buried by the sand, along with the hope of us ever finding you.”

“…Right.… sorry…”The pegasus’ voice had suddenly become very meek and forced.

“I am not the one you should be apologising to. Your friend is the one who you should be begging for forgiveness. She was not only closer to the edge than any other, but also the one who is most responsible for saving your lives. You would do well to remember that, next you see her.” Rockheart’s words were met with a round of nodding, even Viator was somewhat humbled by the Chief.

Silence fell once more in the tent until a draconequus built up the courage to speak. “May I ask… why are we even here?”

“You are here to meditate on and eventually understand the mistakes you have made, the mistakes that could have cost you dearly.”

“But that’s not fair! It’s not as if we had a choice, we had to come into this stupid desert if we wanted to find the Elem-”

“Firefly!” Celestia hissed, causing the speedster to realise her mistake and clamp a hoof over her mouth.

“The Elements. Yes, I would have guessed that was the reason I have two alicorns and a draconequus in my midst. Equidae Aumean’s children no less,” he casually commented, as if the idea was of little significance to him.

It was at this point that the mouths of Celestia, Discord, Luna, Surprise and Firefly dropped to the floor in shock. For a complete stranger, one who resided in a remote desert far from their home, to know both about Aumean and the Elements took each of them completely off guard.

“Y-You know about mother!?” Luna managed to stammer.

“Yes. Aumean and I are old acquaintances. We met many years ago while my tribe was stampeding in the east, close to where Last Meadow now stands. She has told me of you three before, as well as the Elements, which she carried with her when she first came to this land,” Rockheart explained.

“So you get why we have to be here, right? The Element’s got scattered! We have to get them back!” Firefly hopefully exclaimed. She was clearly eager for any excuse to leave Rockheart’s tent.

“Entering the desert is not the mistake you made, for whatever reason and by whoever’s will. Underestimating this place, not bothering to take the necessary precautions, was. You ponyfolk have many ways of learning, your libraries and scholars; amongst them would have been the means to research this place, find ways that would have seen you cross the dunes without harm. I do not know the details of your journey, but any journey is just as much about thought as it is putting one hoof in front of the other.” The buffalo’s stony gaze was met with an equally stony silence as the travellers contemplated his words.

The silence was soon broken by another strong voice, this one coming from behind the assembled adventurers. “…I do hope you are not being hard on our guests, Chief Rockheart.”

“Spirit Horn. How is she?” the Chief asked before any of the ponies could.

“Well, all things considered. That was not my question, however,” responded the tribal healer, adding a cold edge to her voice after answering the Chief’s query.

“They need to realise their mistakes, Spirit Horn.”

“Mistakes which could be avoided, if we would share what we know.”

“We have had this discussion before, Spirit Horn. And I have already made my decision. I will not waste so much of my people’s time and put them at risk to try and vainly educate every foolish pony to wander into the desert.”

“And I have told you, we need not go to such lengths. Were we to simply teach the people of Last Meadow, then they could in turn teach travellers ignorantly walking to their doom.”

“The desert’s fury knows no order. It shifts almost with each passing month. We would need to send too many of our own too often. We survive through our experience in predicting that which cannot be predicted. It is not something one could teach.”

For sometime did the two buffalo argue and remain calmly at each other’s throats. Though the two were clearly frustrated at one another, not once did they raises their voices and their confrontation remained little more than a tepid debate that poorly hid the disdain they both held for each other. It soon became quite clear for those listening that the two did verbal battle on a regular basis.

“…I am quite aware of its health benefits, but I still do not believe that these ‘changas’ will be worth the trip-”

“FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GREAT, WOULD YOU TWO STOP!?” It was Viator whose voice eventually tore through the tent and brought silence to not just the Chief’s tent, but the camp as a whole.

“…He is right. We may have gotten slightly carried away,” Rockheart admitted, speaking for the first time with even the slightest hint of humility.

“Slightly? We may as well have been entranced. We were completely carried away,” Spirit Horn retorted.

“Hardly. Carried away, yes, but to such an extent? No,” the male buffalo countered once more.

“We were like flies caught in winds, and you know it, Chief Rockhear-”

“Stop. Just stop,” Viator commanded through gritted teeth. “Dawn. Can we see her?”

“…Yes, of course. That is why I came here. Not to exchange opinions with our… esteemed, Chief,” Spirit Horn shot her tribal leader a hard glare. “Come. She will undoubtedly want to see each of you.” With a quick gesture of her hoof, Spirit Horn left the tent accompanied by an eager group of ponies and draconequus behind her.

“Hmm,” the Chief sighed disapprovingly. Spirit Horn, and the keen party behind her however, ignored him and trotted excitedly over to the healer’s own tent, passing groups of shocked and curious buffalo the whole way. Slowly they each poked their heads through the flap, stacking themselves on top of one another, partially so they could each see the earth pony inside, partially to ensure they did not disturb her, should she still be resting.

“Hey! She’s still asleep! I thought you said she was up!?” Firefly whispered loudly to the buffalo waiting behind the small mountain of ponies.

“She was, when I left. Perhaps she drifted off during mine and the Chief’s…” the healer trailed off, unable to think of a word to suit her.

“Argument?” Discord suggested helpfully.

“…Yes…”

“She must still be tired. Maybe we should just leave her…?” Luna asked.

“Nah, you heard her! She wants to see us! I bet she just dosed off…” the speedster announced while pushing her way into the tent, causing each of her companions to flail at her in panic of waking Dawn. The torture she had received from the sands of the desert had been brutal, and she would surely still be exhausted. “Dawn! Wakey wakey!” Firefly called.

“Ughhh… Just another few more…minutes…”

“Don’t you think we should just leave her, Fire? It’s not as if we’re in a hurry, right, Tia?” Surprise asked with a clear sense of worry, poking Celestia to hurry her in responding to the pegasus’ question before Firefly went and inadvertently woke the resting earth pony.

“Not after everything we’re been through, no,” the white alicorn added, her voice equally as concerned as Surprise’s.

“Well… she needs to eat or something, right? Come on, Dawn! How you doing?” Firefly then decided to step up her efforts to wake her up friend by shaking her, but was stopped by a golden aura that enveloped the speedster’s body and forcibly began to drag her back to the tent’s entrance. “Aw, c’mon! Not this again! No fair!” Though at first the pink pony’s dug-in hooves proved a challenge for Celestia’s magic, they could not stand up against the combined might of the three siblings.

“Let’s just leave her be for now, hmm, Firefly?” Discord tried to comfort the now-grumpy earth pony.

“…Too late, everypony… sorry!”

“Oh… sorry, Dawn. You know what Firefly can be like,” Celestia apologised on behalf of the blue maned pony.

“No, no… it’s okay. I think I’ve slept enough anyway,” Dawn sleepily replied while rubbing her eyes and yawning.

“Well, since you’re awake, I’ll say it shall I? I think everypony here, even myself, needs to… thank you, for what you did,” Viator managed to say with some effort, but genuine appreciation.

The rest of Dawn’s friends soon followed suit, quickly becoming embarrassed they had no idea how to properly thank a pony for delivering their lives from the jaws of death almost singlehoofed, while they themselves were completely helpless. As was the scientist’s nature, she too rapidly turned scarlet at the wave of praise and thanks aimed at her.

“T-There’s no need to be like that, I just did what anypony would have done!”

“Nonsense, dear! I certainly don’t think even Celestia would have the brains to use what limited resources you had so well!” Discord’s jab was met with the usual annoyed glare from the alicorn in question, but was quickly forgotten in the mood of the moment.

“Yeah, Dawn! You’re our hero!” Luna added sheepishly.

“Hehe… well, I guess… Oh! And look what Spirit Horn gave me!” the group’s smiles soon turned into curious stares as the earth pony began digging in her bed sheets. “She said they found it next to me after I blacked out, I still find it hard to believe though, I mean the chances of it are…” she trailed off after finding the desired object. With a slight flourish, Dawn pulled forth the artefact the buffalo had given her earlier for all of them to see, and gawp, at. “It’s an Element! … It is an Element, right?”

“Yes, I can tell from here… next to you when you passed out…? That’s… well…”

“Suspicious,” Discord finished for his elder sister.

“…What do you mean, brother?”

“You see… No, it doesn’t matter. I’ll tell you all later. Anyway, Dawn! How are you feeling?” The draconequus’ attempt to change the subject was successful and all attention returned to the still snuggled-up earth pony.

“Hmm… better, definitely better. W-Why don’t you all come in? Instead of talking at the door…” Dawn’s companions looked around up and down at each other and realised that they were still poking their heads through the tent’s flap, piled one atop the other. The thought of how they looked resulted in a soft chorus of chuckling and they all proceeded to enter the healer’s tent one-by-one and settle down by their saviour. Nopony mentioned it, but they all were eternally thankful that they had the chance to speak to each other as friends once more, after they came so close to never having such a simple luxury again.

______________________________________________________________________________


“…Ughh…”

“…Still here, Aumean? I’ve finished organising Ms. Do’s essays, which… was about two hours ago.”

The ivory mass groaned and rolled over, planting its head deeper into the pile pillows which it lay upon.

“Ughh… please, let me sleep, Penwell. The… ‘Extreme Rainbow Phenomena’ reports kept me up until… three? Maybe four…”

The old bookkeeping stallion tsked at his friend. “Aumean. You know I stayed here last night. And I know that you were out of commission before midnight.” Her lie exposed, Aumean gazed up at the bespectacled pony with a sheepish grin, to which he sighed in response. “This is about the children, isn’t it? I can’t believe you’re still moping around because of it. Yes, you had to intervene on their behalf. No, it doesn’t mean you have to fly around and save everypony who gets in danger. For an incredibly old and supposedly wise alicorn, you can be quite stupid at times,” he lectured the mare.

A smile began to creep its way onto Aumean’s face, though it was still laced with hints of embarrassment. “…Thank you, old frie-Ow! Penwell!?” All traces of gratitude on the alicorn’s face melted away, having been replaced with a look of annoyance once she overcame her surprise and realised that her friend had bopped her playfully on the head.

“For the love of the sun, Aumean, spare me the teary emotions. You really do get far too worked up about these sort of things,” the stallion continued to scold.

“But think about it! Surely if I save-”

“Ah-ah-ah! Don’t! I’m not going to let you keep tearing yourself up like this. But… if you really want me to put you at ease, then consider this; you knew the children were in danger, and so you helped, yes?” She nodded slowly, curious as to where Penwell was going. “Similarly, if you saw another pony hurt by the roadside, you would help them as well, correct?” Another slow nod. “Now what do these two example have in common? I’ll tell you. You knew about them. Of course you would help anypony who you knew needed it. Most of the time however, you don’t know when a pony needs it.”

“But-”

“Yes, I know you have the power to find those in danger. But then you wouldn’t be offering them help, you would be practically forcing it upon them. Not to mention how much it would mess up the flow of things. You weren’t and still aren’t keeping an eye on the children’s safety by watching them; you’re keeping an eye on their progress as a whole. That’s the difference, and that’s what gave you the right to intervene on their behalf. Happy?”

Once again Aumean’s expression changed, this time to a mischievous smirk. “…I don’t know… I could really enjoy some cake…”

Penwell placed his hoof on his forehead and sighed, though he was clearly not as frustrated as he wanted to appear. “Fine. But we share the bill, alright, my Queen?” The question was met with a moment’s silence before both stallion and mare burst into laughter. There they remained for some time, snorting and giggling until they finally calmed down and picked themselves up to get ready for the trek through the Everfree to Ponyville, where they could buy something to satisfy the alicorn’s sweet tooth.

After some quick filing and sorting, the two found themselves in the entrance hall to Aumean’s old library. “Ready, Aumean?”

“Yes, yes!” she frantically called while giving everything a quick once-over to ensure everything had been put away correctly. Satisfied, the alicorn joined Penwell by the large wooden doors and placed a hoof in the iron handle of one of them. It was at that point however, that a loud bang echoed through the stone halls and the doors shook as another hoof made contact with them several times. “…Oh?”

Both ponies shared a surprised glance at each other before Aumean pulled open the door a little so she could peer outside at whoever had decided to visit her. ‘I’m not expecting Dustcloud… or Softheart and Sun Spring… then who…?’ the alicorn’s mind raced. It would be incredibly embarrassing if she had arranged to meet or go out with some of her other friends and then forgotten about it. There were few other possibilities however, the old hall was quite far out of the way and very few came to visit the alicorn, not out of spite but purely because everypony in town had been told at least once by the ivory coated mare that they should rely on Aumean to come see them, rather than they coming to see her. To her relief, the individual standing outside the library was not anypony Aumean had made plans with, or even spoke to on a very frequent basis, but whose company she still enjoyed.

“Sorry to disturb you, Ms. Aumean.”

“Redstone! Whatever brings you all the way out here? Not that I don’t appreciate the visit,” Aumean happily informed the young stallion. It had been some time since the alicorn had spoken to Redstone. He and his parents lived even further away from the alicorn’s library than Ponyville was, and so the opportunity for the two to speak to each other rarely presented itself, though their mutual friend Surprise did help to ensure they did get the chance to exchange words on occasion.

“Well, the folks asked me to gather a few plants from around here for them, they need them for some preparation you see, and I wanted to ask you something’s as well. So, it only made sense to come along while I was in the area. If you don’t mind, that is,” he humbly informed her.

“Not at all! Me and Penwell here were just on our way to Ponyville now. Why don’t we talk on the way there, if you have what you needed?” Redstone nodded in response then turned and showed her a pack full of various plants and herbs, all neatly arranged by species. “Ah. Well why don’t we be on our way then? Penwell?”

“Yes, let’s. Oh, and nice to see you Redstone,” the older stallion greeted the younger, somewhat awkwardly.

“And you to, Mr. Penwell,” the auburn earth pony replied.

“…Did that book on iron formations help?”

“It did, Mr. Penwell. Thank you,” Redstone responded once more.

“…Good.”

Aumean could not help but chuckle quietly to herself at the growing air of awkwardness emanating from her friend. Neither of the two stallions was especially good at being social with those ponies they didn’t already know. Rather than let them suffer, she decided to take over the role of making conversation.

“So, Redstone. What was it you wanted to ask me? Flint and Sapphire don’t need any medical help, I hope? I know the two are getting on in age.” To both the older ponies’ surprise, Redstone suddenly began blushing at Aumean’s words. Given the geologist pony’s stoic reputation, the two were particularly caught off-guard. The ivory mare could not help but mentally rewind and replay what she had said, so as to thoroughly analyse it and make sure she had not misspoke and said something rude or embarrassing.

“Well… I was… uhh… wondering if you knew how Surprise was doing. Oh, and the others, of course,” he hastily added. It was clear then to both Penwell and Aumean what had caused the young stallion’s embarrassment. It was painfully apparent to anypony who knew them that both Surprise and Redstone had feelings for each other, whether they themselves truly realised it or not. While this realisation eased the alicorn’s mind in that it meant she did not unintentionally say something embarrassing, it did mean she would have to explain the harsh trials Surprise and her companions had faced.

It was one of Aumean’s principles not to lie, though she could not help but try to hide how uncomfortable the question made her behind an awkward smile. “They… They are well, now.”

“…‘Now?’”

She sighed heavily. Penwell had only just helped ease Aumean’s guilt and worry she felt over what her previous actions had forced her to do, and she now had to explain those consequences to another. “I will be honest with you Redstone. Surprise and the others were, for a time, in very serious danger,” the young earth pony’s face fell and Aumean’s conscious ached with it. “Don’t worry! Everything’s fine, they pulled through unharmed!” Upon hearing that the unwitting target of his affections was safe, Redstone managed to pull an uneasy smile, to which Aumean mirrored and Penwell snorted at.

“Am I truly the only pony not to let my feelings go hyper over this whole thing?” Penwell knew of course that both Aumean and Redstone had far more reason to be concerned than he did; the alicorn’s children and the young stallion’s love interest were among them after all. Still, the very fact that Aumean was watching over them meant they were never in any real danger at all, even if they themselves didn’t realise it. Regardless of how much Aumean may try and apply her logic to it, she, like any mother no doubt, simply didn’t have it in her to stand by and let her children enter a situation they may not walk out of.

“I think you are, old friend. But maybe it’s for the best that we can rely on at least one pony to keep his cool,” the mare cheerfully remarked, a genuine grin returning to her muzzle. “Yes, but like I said, Redstone, they’re all perfectly fine; shaken, perhaps, but quite alright otherwise.”

“I have to admit Ms. Aumean, you scared me a little there. I don’t even know what I’d do if they all weren’t coming back,” Redstone admitted sincerely.

“I’m sure many of us wouldn’t. Now why don’t we talk about something else? I’m sure we can all agree-… Well, at least two of us can agree,” Aumean made sure to prod Penwell playfully at this, “…that all this talk of friends and family not coming home it not the best topic of conversation for such a nice day?” The alicorn’s sentiment was met with firm nodding from Redstone and quiet chuckling from Penwell. “I thought as much. So, Redstone, you said you and your parents were preparing for something?”

The auburn pony stared at the alicorn a little dumbfounded before remembering the entire reason for coming out to the Everfree Forest in the first place. “Oh…? Oh! Yes, I’m gathering these plants because I’ll be going on a short trip to Ploughmouth,” he explained.

“Ploughmouth…? Oh…” Aumean muttered. It was at this point that the alicorn suddenly lapsed into deep thought.

“Ms. Aumean…? Is something wrong?”

“Yes… that’ll work even better…” she quietly whispered to herself before realising that not only had she stopped in her tracks, she was being spoken to, and both Penwell and Redstone were shooting her concerned frowns. “Oh! Sorry, no, it’s nothing! Please, continue,” she happily said, eager to steer the conversation away from her abrupt mind-dive.

“Yes… like I was saying. We’ve heard that there’s a large shipment of rare ores being imported in from the east, so… I want to get my hooves on a few samples. Ploughmouth isn’t too far, but Dad still insists on making me some pre-cooked meals and emergency medicine… hence the plants,” Redstone clarified before nodding to the herb- filled baskets on his back.

“It’s certainly very considerate of them. I’m sure that you’ll have a… good time,” Aumean remarked. Penwell was certain that for the split second Aumean paused, he saw the same mischievous smirk on the mare’s face that was a clear indicator of her plotting something, no doubt involving Redstone. The old stallion was unsure of whether he should warn the geologist. On the one hoof it would possibly save his simple trip to Ploughmouth from escalating into something far beyond what the humble earth pony was used to, on the other, it might disrupt Aumean’s plans for the children and their quest, which Penwell also suspected of being part of whatever plan was forming in the alicorn’s mind.

“Aumean… you wouldn’t happen to be-”

“Oh! Look at that toucan! The birds really are wonderful at this time of year, aren’t they? Do you think Flint and Sapphire are fit enough to go for a walk, Redstone? It has been a long time since I saw them, and I’m sure they would love to see the forest as it is,” Aumean half-asked, half-rambled. She did not look at the bookkeeper while she spoke, but the way she had cut him off made it clear to Penwell that she didn’t want him to spill anything. By that very fact, it became incredibly obvious to the older stallion that Aumean was indeed planning something to do with Redstone’s trip to Ploughmouth. And he could not help but chuckle to himself once more while shaking his head.

“Mr. Penwell? Is everything alright?”

“Yes, Redstone. Everything is just fine.”


______________________________________________________________________________


As the sun reached its peak in the skies above the arid desert the buffalo called home, the current camp of the Sand Strider Tribe was divided. On one side, a healer’s tent crowded with ponies and a draconequus celebrated their conquering of the desert and finding yet another Element. On the other side, Spirit Horn and Rockheart were once again locked in vocal combat. One side was also devoid of other buffalo; the healer and Chief’s arguments required the most adamant patience and spirit to be able to listen to. On the other side of the camp however, the tribe was hosting its first pony visitors in many, many months, as well as its very first draconequus. Not only this, but all of the tribe’s guests were in a celebratory mood after surviving the sands and finding some sort of artefact that they had been searching for. Which tent to gather around was not a difficult decision for any tribe-member to make.

However, regardless of how loud the singing and cheering on one side of the camp got, the two senior buffalo’s quarrel raged on.

“How much longer are they to stay, Spirit Horn?”

“With my remedies, they should all now be well enough to leave. As soon as the dunes to the east soothe themselves, they can be on their way. If they move quickly, they should be out of the desert and on the edge of the river by nightfall,” the healer tried to keep her voice as neutral as possible, but it was quite obvious she did not approve of the words coming from her own mouth.

“That will be a harsh trek, even for one who has not been through what they have. I assume then, that you want them to stay?” the buffalo chief inquired through gritted teeth.

“Of course. Their bodies are surely capable, but to force them into the desert once more would be a cruel blow to their minds,” Spirit Horn calmly retorted.

“You know we have a difficult enough time feeding our own. Even a few days of them being here will put a strain on what little food and water we currently have.” The chief’s glare grew in ferocity as he spoke.

“We have survived tough times before. I am certain we will manage.”

“As am I, Spirit Horn. But that is not the point. Why should our own young go hungry when they do not need to?”

Spirit Horn’s own face contorted into a glare to match Rockheart’s and she could not help but shake her head in disappointment. “I told Aumean we would be honoured to host them, look after them, and not reveal to them her involvement. We owe her that much, yet you have made me a liar.”

“You should not have made promises when you knew what my feelings would be on this, and I did not reveal her hoof in all this, only that I knew of her and those Elements of hers. I do not deny that we owe Equidae for her past deeds. But even she would not want us to put ourselves in harms way for such an old debt.”

Unbeknownst to the two buffalo, the small party was beginning to die down and each tent’s level of noise output was drawing to a more equal level.

“I warn you Chief, do not put yourself on the same level as one such as Aumean. You could not possibly understand a mind like hers,” hissed the normally tranquil healer.

“Is that a threat Spirit Horn?” Both buffalo had brought their faces so close to one another’s that their horns began to lock and grind together.

“Now whatever is all this? Surely you’re both not getting yourselves all tangled up over us are you?” As soon as the voice had made itself heard, the healer and chief eye’s darted to the tent’s flap simultaneously; their horn’s still twisted around the other’s.

“This is none of your business, draconequus. Please, leave,” asked Rockheart as politely as his frustration at Spirit Heart would allow.

Discord simply smirked. “Au contraire, it involves my dear mother doesn’t it?”

Rockheart stared at his grinning guest. “You were listening to us?” The two buffalo finally pulled back their heads, attention now focused on Discord.

“Perhaps a little,” Discord replied innocently. His face betrayed whatever innocence his voice may have had though.

“…How much did you hear?” dejectedly asked Spirit Horn. It was true that Rockheart hadn’t revealed as much as he could have regarding Aumean’s intervention in the ponies’ rescue, but if Discord had overheard them speaking of it, then he would likely suspect something and the healer would then have definitely broken her promise to the older alicorn.

“Oh, don’t worry yourselves. Nothing I didn’t already guess was going on, anyway,” the draconequus casually remarked.

“You… already guessed?” The revelation took both buffalo by surprise and they continued to stare at the draconequus who began inspecting his paw for dirt nonchalantly, their conflict nearly forgotten completely.

“Let’s just say there have been one too many… coincidences, on this whole trip. Every Element so far has been found under odd circumstances. It seems more and more likely that mother’s spell did a little more than just physically scatter them. And like you said yourself, our rescue by your hooves was very fortunate, wasn’t it? Doubtfully so!” Discord explained, his smirk growing ever more in size as the buffalo’s faces told him that his assumptions were more than likely correct.

“…You are smart, draconequus. But I swore to Aumean I would not tell of her involvement, so I cannot and will not have this conversation with your sisters and friends. A buffalo does not go against their word if it is at all possible,” Spirit Horn stoically informed the still-smirking draconequus.

“Good! I wouldn’t want you to! It would spoil all the fun after all! I actually considered telling them myself earlier, but really, guessing games are among the best! Wouldn’t you say?” As Discord expected, neither Spirit Horn nor Rockheart laughed along with him.

“Hmm. So long as the secret is safe, at least to the others, then all is well. Now please, leave us. I have still not spoken my mind to the chief,” the healer informed Discord, glaring once more at Chief Rockheart.

“Yes. It may be best that you go back to your friends now, draconequus,” mirrored the buffalo leader, being sure to return his fellow’s glare.

Had the two buffalo been paying attention to Discord’s face, and had they known him as well as Luna or Celestia did, then they may well have realised that the large grin spreading across his face was one that clearly indicated the rapid forming of a plan in his mind, one that Rockheart would more than likely not approve of. Perhaps unfortunately for the buffalo, they were not paying attention and they did not know Discord well.

“Of course, of course. You get it all out of your system, then I’m sure we can all make up and have a barrel of laughs,” the draconequus half-said half-chortled, though his words went unheard, as the two camp elders had already resumed their passive-aggressive tirades. With a final smirk, Discord let the buffalo be.


______________________________________________________________________________

“Welcome, lass, to Cairib.”

The sight helped. It helped a lot. Ever since leaving Oromo, the young zebra Kromi had been in a state of depression, but the simple picture of something so different, the very thing she had desired to see since as long as she could remember lifted the zebra’s spirits to a height she had not experienced in a very long time. It didn’t heal the wounds in her heart, but like a soothing balm it took away the pain, if only temporary.

“It’s so…”

“Cairib’s a lot of things, young Kromi. I’m afraid I can’t finish that sentence for you.”

“It’s… well… so big. How do so many zebras live together? Where do they get all the food!?” she yelled in amazement.

“Zebras and ponies, lass. And it’s got a few more spiffing qualities to it than being a might large. Finest salt dens in all of Equestria, and absolutely delightable date salads. How Equestria ever went without for so long, well, it’s beyond this old stallion,” commented Coin Bag, the pony who had taken Kromi away from the smouldering ruins and bloody fields of her previous life.

Despite the circumstances they had only just left behind, the refined merchant pony had to stifle a laugh when he realised Kromi was not even listening to him, instead staring with immense wonder at the large port city the wind and waves were gently carrying them to. Coin Bag only wished that the weather was an accurate reflection of how a pony felt. Kromi had cried for hours, and the unicorn figured this was a good thing, and while it had certainly seemed to have helped, Coin Bag was unsure if sunlight had indeed started to shine inside the young zebra, or if the maelstrom of emotions had only been calmed faintly and temporarily.

“How long can we stay!? I want to see it all!” There may have been expenses to pay, but Coin Bag was quite simply unable to deny Kromi, even if they had come from less turbulent waters. He could take another small vacation before buying his next shipment and heading out again. After all, he had only been to Cairib once himself and there was many sights left to see.

“Well, I’m quite certain giving the city a day or two to see its many wonders wouldn’t hurt. By the skies I hope that it’s enough though. Can only be one place at a time now, can’t we?” Coin Bag jokingly asked. It would be quite the challenge to see all that Cairib had to offer in just two days. He wished he could give more to the mentally beaten zebra, but it was all he could realistically afford at the time.

“Two days…? Two days!?” Kromi practically shouted back, causing the unicorn to pull his head back awkwardly.

“Sorry, lass. But I was a little late with the last salt shipment. Can’t very well sell for a high price back in Ploughmouth when they’ve already got a galleon full from Sharpsail- Uhh, lass?”

“Two days… two whole days…!” Kromi distantly spoke to herself.

“I’m dreadfully sorry, lass, but-”

“It’s wonderful! Oh, thank you so much Coin Bag! I never would have thought I would be able to spend two whole days exploring!” the stripped girl almost chattered with explosive excitement, leaving Coin Bag thoroughly confused.

“But, Kromi… Two days isn’t very long! By golly, it’s barely enough time at all! We’ll never get around the whole grand place!” the unicorn replied and pointed out to the city growing ever closer. With his hoof he indicated several distinct parts of the port town. Each district had something that marked it out from the rest, whether it was the styles of the building’s roofs, the colour or the pillars of steam floating lazily from hundreds of stoves into the sky. “See? Each little part of the place is unique in its own way. For the full, and might I add best, experience, we’d have to lend our eyes, ears and tongues to each in turn and I can tell you with good authority there’s not much of a chance to do all that in two days! Not much of a chance at all!”

“I don’t need the full experience! Don’t you see? I just need an experience!” Kromi cried back. Coin Bag was forced to smile once more. He had to admit it to himself, he was proud of the girl. Certainly, her wounds wouldn’t have closed yet, but she didn’t let the pain smother her hopes and dreams. It would have been the easier option, to just sit in the sticky pit of despair, but she was determined to drag herself from it, no mater how much struggling it would take.

“It’s a plan then! Don’t you worry your hooves, I’ll get everything sorted. I’ve only had the pleasure of touring the fine old place once, but this is one pony who knows the best spots in the city, if my name isn’t Coin Bag, Merchant Extraordinaire!”

And so it was that the unicorn and the zebra entered Cairib, the largest city south of Equestria. Despite being set on a large hill that rose the entire city up like some sort of grand fortress, it was the harbour that dominated the view of any coming in from the sea. Piers, cranes, warehouses, drydocks and all manner of ships were squashed into the massive wooden crescent that made up Cairib’s bay. It was an incredible sight, so chaotic yet deceptively efficient and thus by extension, profitable. Unlike Oromo, Cairib had welcomed the first pony explorers with open hooves; their hospitality was rewarded with a trade route that had brought great wealth to zebra and pony alike. Each had countless varieties of desirable produce, all unique to their respective lands and for which others were willing to trade a great deal.

For some less experienced sailors, docking within Cairib would be a challenge. Coin Bag however, was a natural and had quickly become accustomed to the tightly-packed mooring spots of Cairib’s harbour. In the space of a few minutes, he was able to neatly navigate his small vessel into a free space where it was snugly tied, and without the help of any other pony or even his magic.

“Wow… how did you do all that!?” Kromi exclaimed in astonishment.

With obvious smugness, Coin Bag stroked his moustache. “Every good merchant knows the tools of his trade, dear Kromi. Big or small,” he proudly informed her.

It was then, just as Kromi was about to cover her pony friend with more praise, that the young zebra’s attention was pulled away by the sound of approaching hooves and wooden planks.

“To refer to such a vessel as ‘big’ is an offense to all those who call the waves home.” Upon hearing the pony behind him, Coin Bag’s haughtiness drained away immediately and a grimace of annoyance spread across his muzzle, a grimace he pointed to the pony who encouraged it in the first place.

“Sharpsail my dear. What a simply divine pleasure,” the unicorn struggled to say without hissing the words. Kromi meanwhile continued to twist her head back and forth between Coin Bag and the new individual, Sharpsail. She was a female pony with a rope-coloured coat and a long, freely flowing mane of black hair. Upon each side of her flank was a crescent of white light, tinged with blue. Kromi was not exactly sure what the mark was, but it looked as if the air itself was being cut. A tricorn hat sat upon the pony’s head and a long, curved sword dangled from a belt around her midsection.

“Save your sarcasm, Coin Bag, I am in no mood. I simply saw you docking and thought to tell you again: leave this business,” Sharpsail told the scowling stallion. Even though Kromi was not being addressed, she felt the urge to shrink away back onto Coin Bag’s boat and hide below its deck. Sharpsail’s tone and expression was as commanding and sharp as the blade that lay by her side. The two figures bringing up her rear, a zebra and winged pony both of whom were well built, remained silent but were just as stern faced as their leader and only served to add to Sharpsail’s unnerving demeanour.

Coin Bag’s response was to simply roll his eyes and go to make his way past Sharpsail and her subordinates. “Dear, please. I may be relatively new to this whole sailing malarkey, but I’m a merchant through and through! And no merchant, not unless he wouldn’t give a single coin for his pride, shirks away from the golden road! No siree!” Despite his confident speech, Coin Bag made it no further than his rival sailor, due to a sword suddenly baring his progress. Kromi could not help but gasp in amazement once more; Sharpsail had drawn her blade in the blink of an eye and the high-pitched sound of vibrating steel silenced everything but the soft rolling of the waves and creaking of the many ship’s rigging. It didn’t seem to Kromi that Sharpsail could use magic like Coin Bag could, rather, she simply grabbed the sword’s hilt with her hoof like a zebra would.

“I am trying to warn you Coin Bag. The griffons are becoming more and more desperate. Soon they will take whatever they can find, including whatever you might be carrying on that pitiful insect of a ship, and you have no means of defending it or yourself. Leave this business, go back to Equestria. Too many have already fallen to their talons,” the pony captain grimly remarked.

Coin Bag sighed almost merrily and smirked at Sharpsail. “Sorry old bean. But this route is just far too lucrative. And she may be small, but I cannot help but think that dear Fleur has grown on me… that, and she cost a hoof and a horn! I can’t very well just cut my losses now, can I?”

Sharpsail looked up from under the brim of her hat and narrowed her eyes at Coin Bag. “You’re a fool,” she simply remarked before carefully sheathing her sword back on her belt. Without further hesitation she turned around and began to leave, her pair of flunkies obediently doing the same.

“Sharpsail,” Coin Bag called to the departing pony.

“What?” she glared back at the merchant pony.

To Kromi’s surprise, Coin Bag pointed a hoof over his shoulder directly at the young zebra. “I’ve went and gotten myself something to protect. Now I’m not much one for fisticuffs, but one of those ruffian griffons so much as peck one of her hairs and I’ll show ‘em what for!” the merchant pony announced, the confidence retuning to his voice.

For the first time, Sharpsail noticed Kromi and for a moment the zebra hated Coin Bag for having pointed her out to the fierce sailor. It was then that something ticked in Sharpsail’s piercing eyes and she swiftly began to approach the zebra, leaving her subordinates behind and ignoring Coin Bag completely. Almost instinctively did Kromi start to back up fearfully until she hit a bollard and could go no further without falling into the water or leaping on to a boat. Sharpsail quickly caught up to the cowering Kromi and looked deeply into the zebra’s eyes.

“Now just you wait right there, Sharpsail! That girl has been through more than you can imagine! Lay a hoof on her and-”

Without waiting for Coin Bag to finish or for Kromi to stop whimpering, Sharpsail swung a hoof out and caught one of Kromi’s own. Then, pulling the zebra’s hoof closer to her face, she bent down and kissed it lightly. “I am sorry you had to see my unpleasant side, desert flower. Come, we shall leave this jester and I will show you the wonders of a city built on the trust and friendship of two species.” Kromi’s fear was instantly and wholly replaced with utter confusion, as was Coin Bag’s growing bravado. So dumbfounded was the zebra that she did not resist in anyway as Sharpsail began to gently lead her away from Coin Bag and his yacht.

______________________________________________________________________________


“Are you sure you’re alright, Dawn?”

“Yes Luna, thank you. I’m not exactly sure what Spirit Horn put in that remedy, but it seems to have worked perfectly!” Dawn addressed the younger alicorn sitting by her side, an expression of concern still plaguing her muzzle.

“She’ll be fine! We all had it, and we’re all better, right?” reassured Firefly.

“Fire’s probably right, Luna. Whatever that stuff was, it didn’t waste anytime in curing us!” Surprise added.

“Well, I suppose so…”

“You’re worrying too much Luna. They may be… stiff, but these buffalo are trustworthy at least.”

“Viator’s right, sister. Everything’s fine now, hmm? Come on, hurry up and pack,” Celestia comforted her little sister, giving her a quick nuzzle. The older alicorn’s face of affection soon returned to how it had been; scrunched in annoyance. “Now if this compass would work…”

The afternoon was dragging on and the pony entourage, minus Discord who had excused himself earlier, had finally been left alone by the buffalo curious of their exploits and cheer at finding yet another Element, the Element of Will. With yet another one of the treasures in their possession, the ponies were ready to move on, despite only staying in the buffalo’s care for so little time. There was of course the matter of working out precisely where it was their journey was to take them next, a matter which Celestia was trying to address with increasing frustration.

“What’s up, Tia?”

“The problem, Surprisena, is that the compass seems to be broken. But I don’t see how, it’s magical! How could it… break!?” Celestia answered with increasing volume. “Unless someone tried to deliberately cast some sort of counter enchantment… is that why Discord…?” It was just the sort of prank Celestia could imagine the draconequus pulling. ‘He’s probably hiding in some other tent now, rolling on the floor!’

“Broken? Broken how?” Firefly wasted no time inrushing up to Celestia and peering on the compass lying on the ground before her, regardless of whether it improved the white mare’s mood or not.

“Broken, as in it isn’t pointing straight. Now Firefly, please would you-”

“But I thought it never pointed straight!”

“Well, true, but it’s not even doing that. It’s just spinning, as if we were right on top of another Element. But we already found the Element of Will… so perhaps it hasn’t… registered this time?” proposed Celestia with little in the way of confidence. She finally gave up trying to gently nudge Firefly out from under her face and simply brought the compass up into the air for everypony to see with her magic.

“Is… that how it works?” Surprise’s question was one none of the ponies actually knew the answer to, at least not for certain.

The issue the snowy pegasus had raised was one Celestia did not like, but there was little she could do to counter it. “Well… that is how it has worked until now. Whenever we find an Element, the compass changes, if only slightly. Now it’s just spinning…”

Viator simply stared at the compass, and then turned to face Celestia. “So the plan is…?”

The show-stallion got no response and the tent fell into silence. Until however, the compass suddenly snapped into its usual habit of pointing only vaguely in one direction.

“…Oh, look, it’s fixed!” Luna happily cried. The rest of the room remained somewhat blank and proceeded to frown at one another.

“Cool! So we can go soon? I can’t wait to get back to somewhere, you know, nice,” Firefly cheered after deciding to break the silence.

“I suppose so, but… that was strange…”

“Now you’re worrying too much, sister!” the younger alicorn answered.

“Perhaps you are, Celestia. Did you ever look at the compass as soon as you found an Element before? Perhaps it simply requires time to change,” Viator observed.

“Perhaps… Wait, do any of you hear something? Is that… laughter?” The group all pricked up their ears in response to Celestia’s question. Much like the alicorn had said, the sound of hearty laughter could be heard coming faintly from the other side of the camp. Before any of the ponies could investigate, Discord returned. And being tossed up and down in his paw was a perfectly cut, pink gemstone. Once again, the ponies were reduced to staring. “…Is… that? No… it can’t be?”

“I’m afraid it is, dear Celestia!”

“But brother… how?” Luna’s confusion mirrored the rest of the ponies exactly.

The draconequus did not even try to hold back his grin. “With just a little laughter, little Luna.”

“Discord… what did you do…?” Celestia’s voice was beginning to grow a hint of anger. While she was happy that another Element was in their possession, and so quickly, the situation was more than suspicious.

The Element stopped its constant rise and fall in Discord’s paw and with his talon he gestured for the ponies to follow him. “I’ll show you.”

Although Celestia wanted to question him more, her interest got the better of her, and she joined her friends in leaving the tent and walking quietly over to the chieftain’s tent, where the majority of the buffalo tribe had already gathered outside. The sound of laughter grew, and it became clear that it was emanating from within. It also became clear that the racket was not just regular laughter, the noise coming from Rockheart’s tent was veritable howling. Whoever it was causing all the clamour was giggling so hard it was unlikely that they would be standing, more likely in fits on the floor.

“Hey! We won’t be able to see a thing!” Firefly moaned, with good reason. The chortling had drawn such a crowd that the tent entrance was completely packed. Even the smaller ponies realised that they had little hope of squeezing through to get a glimpse, Luna and Celestia did not even try.

“Around here everypony!” The travellers tried to follow the voice, and managed to catch the sight of Discord’s distinctive tail sneaking around the back of the tent. The trickster seemed to want his friends to remain quiet in following him, though the incessant chortling and murmurs of the crowd negated any need for discretion on the ponies’ part. Still, Luna, Firefly and Surprise tiphoofed carefully around the side of the large tent to join their companion, in complete contrast to Celestia, Viator and Dawn who casually walked with little regard as to whether they were seen or heard.

“Discord, please, whatever it Is you did-” Celestia was interrupted by her younger brother’s frantic gesturing to join him and those who had decided to sneak with him in peering under the bottom of the tent and at the origins of the thunderous chuckling. The elder alicorn rolled her eyes, but complied with the signals Discord was giving her and knelt down beside him, then used her horn to lift the side of the tent up just enough to fit her head underneath it, joining her companions in forming a colourful line of heads poking out from below the tent’s lining.

The sight that greeted Celestia was both shocking yet to be expected at the same time, given Discord was no doubt involved in shaping it. There before her was Chief Rockheart and the healer, Spirit Horn, both on their backs and struggling to breathe with laughter. Two of the most stone-faced individuals any of the travellers had ever met were now rolling around with uncontrollable tittering, like foals who had just pulled what they thought the best prank in history.

Nice one, Dissy! How’d you get them to loosen up!?” The speedster and draconequus shared a hoof-paw bump and Firefly then pulled her head back momentarily so Surprise could physically compliment Discord’s work as well.

“A few bottles of flatulence encourager, some exploding tea and of course one or two invisible banana peels! Quite elementary, really,” Discord explained without any lack of ego.

“But brother… wouldn’t that just make them mad?” Luna was struggling not to laugh herself, but did manage to show some curiosity as to her sibling’s methods in not simply angering the two serious-minded buffalo.

“Oh, dear little Luna. May you never know the hardships of adulthood!” The draconequus teased, adding a ruffle of Luna’s mane in for good measure. Just as Discord wanted, she immediately began to pout at being treated like a filly still, which even Celestia and Viator had to quietly admit to themselves was a heart-warming sight to see. “Anyway, I asked around. As it happens, these two are just as fun-loving as the next pony, but all the responsibility of leading and taking care of the whole tribe in this nasty little bit of desert just made them… forget.”

“…Forget? I would have thought forgetting something like that would be quite difficult.” Viator’s observation echoed in the mind of the ponies gathered.

Discord responded with a shrug of his shoulders and took a moment before explaining. “I think we all know how harsh the desert can be. A little more stressful for those who have to live in it. Still, in my humble opinion, no matter how serious life becomes, you should always be able to just sit down once in a while and have a good laugh!”

Much like her friends, Dawn smiled, but her expression soon returned to one of questioning. “I think you’re right, Discord…but… what does this have to do with finding an Element?” Much like Viator had just done, Dawn also got each the cogs in each ponies’ brain spinning and they all turned to Discord for an answer.

“Hmm? Ah, yes, it was in the Chief’s tent, I found it while planting that little dose of fun for them. I think him and Spirit Horn were actually arguing about it.”

“Huh, cool! I know we should probably celebrate again or something, but can we go finish packing now? This stupid desert is really starting to get to me.” Everypony agreed with Firefly’s productive idea, one of the rare few she proposed, and began to make their way back across the camp towards Spirit Horn’s tent where they had been staying. All but Celestia, who quietly called for Discord to stay.

The alicorn waited for her companions to leave before staring at the draconequus and speaking up in a hushed but accusing tone, “That was a lie, wasn’t it?”

Discord smirked. “Oh, you know me too well, Celestia. But you can’t blame me; I simply didn’t want to spoil the surprise after all.”

“It’s about the Elements, isn’t it? This whole… journey. It’s not quite as simple as us just finding them lying around, is it?”

Her brother’s grin confirmed the alicorn’s suspicions, or at least confirmed that Discord shared them. “I don’t know for certain, but when I checked the compass earlier, I just had to test my theory. It would seem to be correct,” Discord remarked while indicating the gemstone in his paw. “Ever since we found the Element of Ambition, the very first one we did find, I’ve had a little annoying niggle at the back of my mind. Too many coincidences, too many lines that could be drawn to connect the dots, Celestia. This quest isn’t about finding the Elements, it’s about earning them.”

The possible revelation spurred Celestia into deep thought. It was a little jolting, but she could not help but smile. ‘Mother… It’s no surprise where Discord gets his guile from…’ It was exactly the sort of thing Celestia could see her mother orchestrating, and she was a little annoyed she hadn’t worked it out sooner. Aumean had said that their quest was a lesson, about how to wield the Elements correctly. And it all made sense; each Element they had found was immediately after one of them had overcome some sort of challenge or personal hardship.

Whether it was Firefly reaching the top of the mountain by herself, despite not having the amazing abilities of a pegasus or unicorn; Viator proving his unshakeable pride even in the hands of defeat; Dawn pushing on for the good of her friends no matter what; or even Discord, who was always there to remind them just to laugh sometimes, even with the burden of responsibility bearing down on one’s shoulders.

“…if only there was an ‘Element of Lov-’”

“Discord?” The matter was a serious one, and Celestia did not have the time for her brother’s daydreaming, or whatever it was that was passing through his mind. He was however, quick to snap back to attention. “I don’t think we should tell any of the others. Viator and Dawn may work it out themselves in time, but…”

“It could interfere, agreed. So this’ll be our little secret, won’t it?” Celestia did not like having to withhold information when she didn’t have to, but she had to concur with Discord, albeit somewhat reluctantly. If everypony knew what to look for, then it could well impede their ability to truly earn the Elements they were seeking.

“Tia! Dissy! C’mon! The buffalo say we have to leave soon if we want to get out of the desert by nightfall!” Surprise’s voice prompted both to quickly nod to each other in secret understanding before following the snowy pegasus back to Spirit Horn’s tent to finish packing. Surely enough, Celestia found that their compass had remained on a more fixed direction. With the aid of a directional spell, it was clear that the party needed to head back east, the same way they had came. From what the alicorn could make of it, once they had escaped the desert then they should travel more south-easterly, in the general direction of Ploughmouth. It was quite a distance to travel to the port city, and Celestia had no idea how much of it they would actually have to cross before finally finding their next trial.

‘After this desert though… I don’t think it will be so bad,’ the white mare thought with some relief.

Within the next hour, the travellers were once again prepared to make their way, desert or no. For the second crossing however, the group had been sure to consult the expert buffalo, who had provided them with advice on how to better preserve their strength and fluids. Thanks also to the buffalo; each of the adventurers was able to store away the fear of encountering another of the dreaded sandstorms. According to all of the tribes most experienced scouts, no dust storm was likely to form in their path, should they move quickly.

Guidance and direction in mind, the ponies and draconequus said farewell to the Sand Strider Tribe, even receiving a cheery goodbye from Spirit Horn and Rockheart who saw the travellers off with the rest of the buffalo. Though the two groups had not met under the best of circumstances, their time together was brief, and they did not have the greatest start any relationship could have, they still considered each other friends who would happily welcome the other.

A sunset was already just beginning to form when they set upon their way. They would have to move quickly through the baking sand and scorching heat, if they wanted to escape the desert before nightfall. Despite the arduous task before them, no pony or draconequus gazed forth with the slightest hint of trepidation.