• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,965 Views, 53 Comments

Modulation - ProBrony



All Tartarus breaks loose as Twilight and company try to keep Equestria, and themselves, from permanently falling apart.

  • ...
4
 53
 1,965

Chapter 7 — Impressions

— Chapter 7 : Impressions —

Lyra was sweating. She looked around, looking for an exit. The door across the hall lead outside, but also to two more Solar Guards. Looking back at the guards, they stood impatiently waiting for her. She could turn and run, but she doubt she could outrun two trained warriors. Looking back, the guards were almost upon her. Her mother, father, and Octavia would be incredibly disappointed with her. And Bon Bon…

As she walked out the gates to the wing, she heard a voice.

“That’ll be enough, sirs. Please stop harassing my assistant.”

Lyra and the two Solar guards turned to look as an old, bespeckled blue stallion stepped from behind the gate. Lyra couldn’t believe her eyes.

“Dr. Haydon!” She leapt to the stallion and hugged him.

Dr. Haydon disengaged himself, pushing her off, and straightened his tie. “Sheesh, Lyra, I expected you an hour ago.”

Despite the situation, Lyra was ecstatic, “Sorry professor, you know I get lost too easily in the library.”

“What will I do with you? I waited so long, I had absentmindedly locked the gate!”

The guards just looked on with a bewildered faces. The veteran was first to recover, and advanced towards Lyra. “Doctor, she’s going to have to come with me. She wasn’t with you when we let you in. She is an intruder.”

Lyra flinched, but Dr. Haydon stepped between her and the advancing guard. Despite the bold move, he kept a cheery smile. “I’m sorry, she just likes to be late sometimes. It’s her hobby.”

The veteran stepped up and got nose to nose with the doctor who, despite the invasion of personal space, kept that smile on his face. “Irrelevant. You didn’t write down on your form you were going to have a guest. Rules are—”

"Look," said the doctor. He brushed the guard aside, catching him off-guard with how much force he used. “If you mules simply must harass me— no offense, sir.”

A passing mule janitor tipped his hat to the doctor. “None taken,” he said in a slow voice, and kept walking.

“If you mules must harass me, send your boss to my office later. We’ll settle it then.” He walked back to the shelf he came from, grabbed some books wrapped in a strap with his teeth, and brought them over to Lyra. Lyra’s heart was beating hard, and it took a second for the nonverbal cue to reach her. She used her magic to open her saddlebags, grabbed the books and deposited them inside.

“Now if you’ll excuse us, I have research to do.” Dr. Haydon began to walk towards the door, nose in the air. Lyra took this cue to move as well, and followed him through the gate, never taking her eyes off the guards.

“You’ll be hearing from us soon enough,” the veteran said hotly, however he didn’t pursue.

The doctor never turned around. They cut a left, and walked back to the where the hallway connected with the library. Lyra didn’t exhale till she was back between the shelves.

“Thank Luna you were there, Dr. Haydon!” She jumped on him again, and this time, to her relief, he gave a proper nuzzle in return. After a moment, she gave him an incredulous look. “It’s my hobby? Really?”

Dr. Haydon raised an eyebrow. “You’ve been late one hundred thirty-two times, over the years.”

Lyra chuckled and rubbed a hoof through her mane. “Oh, wow. It seemed considerably less in retrospect.”

After a moment, Dr. Haydon dropped his stern look and smiled warmly. “Hello, Lyra Heartstrings. It’s so great to see you. I always thought the next time I’d see you you’d be on stage somewhere. Where in Equestria have you been?”

Lyra disengaged, and looked down. “I... I went to Ponyville.”

Dr. Haydon made a face. “Ponyville? What’s in Ponyville? What happened to the aspirations of my favorite student?”

Lyra pawed at the ground with a hoof. “I never went through with them. After graduation, I left— No, I snuck out of the city and I went to the country. Ponyville was the first major town, and I stopped there.”

Dr. Haydon reached over and lifted Lyra’s chin. “But what of your dreams? I was looking forward to seeing you perform in the Lunaris.”

Lyra let out a small smile. “I wasn't ready, it wasn't meant for me.”

“Lyra, where are you?” a voice called.

Lyra and the doctor turned to the center isle of their section. Lyra looked back at the doctor. “Y’know Doc, you’ve always had my back, so I guess I can tell you a secret. My dreams changed, but maybe, just for you, I may have to do something nice. Keep your eye on the schedule for the Lunaris.” With and a smile and a wink, she began to trot off.

“Hold on.” Lyra spun around to find Dr. Haydon was pointing at her saddlebags. She chuckled, and magiced them open, retrieved, and returned the Doctor’s stack of books. She gave a quick, loose salute, and turned back around, headed to the source of. “Lyra, I don’t know what you’re up to, but I’m cautiously eager in finding out.”

Lyra laughed. “I’ll see you around, Dr. Haydon.”

***

Lyra stepped into view from behind a shelf.

“Oh Lyra,” Cheerilee signed, “Where have you been? Gentle Breeze? I’ve found her” she called. Gentle Breeze landed between them a moment later.

Lyra waved a hoof. “Sorry, sorry, don’t mind me. Did you find the books you wanted?”

Cheerilee nodded her head. “Yes, thanks to our guide. Where have you been?”

“Well, then let’s go? I’m ready to get out of this library.” Lyra began to walk off, but shortly felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Gentle Breeze hovering behind her.

“Excuse me, miss. The entrance is that way.” He pointed in the opposite direction. Lyra chuckled and rubbed the back of her head.

The group made their way back to the front, with Lyra making extra effort to remain attentive. She didn’t want any more attention. In the lobby, Gentle Breeze bid them farewell. Cheerilee walked up to the counter to check out her books, and Lyra found herself looking around the room.

All around her were students and professors reading, studying, and researching. Lyra’s heart panged, remembering the familiar feelings of school work. It wasn’t the life for her, she told herself. She knew she was much happier in Ponyville, with the slower paced life and a touch of action here and there. However, she would be kidding herself if she didn’t miss it from time to time.

Cheerilee walked up, interrupting Lyra’s train of thought. “Ready to go, Lyra?”

“Yeah! Er, wait." She just remembered. She opened her saddle bag to retrieve the Earth pony songbook. Instead, she found it open. "Oh. Yeah, let’s get out of here,” Lyra confirmed.

The two mares turned headed to the exit, but only Lyra stepped forward. Confused, she looked over. Cheerilee look flustered. Lyra was sure she could see that she was blushing. Following her gaze, she found she was staring at Dr. Haydon and some other unknown, similarly aged stallion.

Lyra grinned. “Why don’t you go talk to him?”

The remark snapped Cheerilee back into reality. “What, me? No, no, no, I can’t. Do you know who that is?”

“Uh, Dr. Haydon?”

Cheerilee shook her head. “No no, the blue one. That’s Professor Neigh!”

“Uh, who?”

Cheerilee rolled her eyes. “Professor Neigh. Bill Neigh! He’s one of the brightest minds in all of Equestria, but is more importantly a great educator. He researches intensely and makes plenty of public speeches, but will occasionally travel around Equestria sharing what he’s learned. He’s just brilliant.”

Lyra nodded in feigned understanding. “Cool.”

Silence passed between them as Cheerilee kept staring. Professor Neigh and Dr. Haydon were walking towards the exit.

Lyra gave Cheerilee a long stare, but she didn’t move. “So are you going to say hello?”

Again, Cheerilee waved her hoof. “I can’t, Lyra! He’s so famous, so well known. He’s practically a noble, and shares a distant relative with that one unicorn prince. I can't talk to him.”

Lyra facehoofed for the second time that day. She wasn’t about to let Cheerilee miss this chance. “Look Cheerilee, we’re all ponies. So what if it was even Princess Celestia herself? Again, we’re all just ponies.” She began to walk towards the two professors. “Hey there!” she called. The two ponies turned around.

Behind her, Cheerilee turned a deeper shade of maroon and caught up. “Lyra,” she hissed in her ear, “what are you doing? Stop! Don’t waste his time!”

Lyra glanced at her and threw her a cheeky grin. Turning back, she saw the educators had stopped. “Yes, you with the glasses.”

Cheerilee couldn't believe what she was hearing.

Lyra finally caught up to the ponies. “Hello again, Dr. Haydon,” she said with a smile.

Dr. Haydon nodded. “Hello again, Lyra. I didn’t expect to see you so soon. You were calling for my colleague, yes?”

Professor Neigh smiled warmly. “How may I be of service, young lady?”

“I have a friend who’s dying to meet you,” Lyra responded. Behind her, Cheerilee was blushing and trying to disappear. Lyra smiled, and stepped aside.

***

Lyra was sitting in an art district’s diner casually enjoying her lunch. Opposite her, Cheerilee was having a fangasm.

“I can’t believe I met Bill Neigh! He was so kind! So smart too! Talking to him is like falling asleep to knowledge. He has such a way with words, even advance concepts are completely understandable. And his philosophies on teaching? They’re superb! I’ll have to try some on my students this semester!” Cheerilee rambled and rambled.

Lyra sat silently, enjoying the happiness Cheerilee was experiencing. She never knew the composed school teacher could act just like the fillies she taught. She laughed to herself as she continued to munch on her hay fries. She was able to actually enjoy these, with Cheerilee having hoofed the bill as repayment.

“What did I tell ya? We’re all just ponies. Sure, I get star struck sometimes too, but I can approach anyone.” Lyra said matter-of-factly.

Cheerilee nodded her head. “Thank you so much Lyra, I really appreciate that.”

Lyra nodded, and downed the rest of her daisy cheesecake. She leaned back in her seat and glanced around. As usual, her awkward position still grabbed odd stares. Even Cheerilee gave her a quick look, but she returned to her food.

She signed. At least in Ponyville everyone was used to it. She paused. Near the front of the diner on the notice board, she saw a poster. On it, a pale-white unicorn with a spiked blue mane had her head tilted down, looking serene. The whole thing was shimmering, as if it was enchanted with magic. Squinting, she noticed it was advertising a show.

“Hey Cheerilee, how do you feel about catching a show tomorrow There’s this DJ...” Lyra glanced back at poster, “DJ Pon Three?”

“Sorry Lyra, I head home tomorrow. I’ve already had my excitement. Today alone was worth the trip. Besides, I’m too old for that.”

Lyra gave her a sly look. “Ha, just how old are you?” Not expecting an answer, she looked back at the poster for a time. She choked on a fry, and almost jumped out of her seat.

The image from the poster was right in front of her now. And it was smiling. She was smiling. “Aw man, is that a daisy cheese cake?”

Lyra coughed hard. “Why would you do that?” she shouted. Cheerilee looked and also had a brief flash of shock cross her face.

“Why do you sit so funny?”

After a fit of coughing, Cheerilee and Lyra stared at the mare. She was a unicorn. Her figure was slender and lean, almost unusually so. Her coat was a brilliant white with a slight blue tinge, and her hair blue with electric cerulean streaks in her hair, and it was the definition of was unruly. Here eyes were hidden behind dark purple shades, but Lyra felt them anyways. She was chewing on something.

The mare’s horn flared light cobalt, and she used her fork to take another slice out of Lyra’s cheesecake. “Why do you sit so funny?” She asked again.

“Who are you, miss?” Cheerilee asked tenderly.

“And why are you eating my cheesecake?” Lyra hissed.

The mare pulled a chair from a nearby table full of young ponies without asking, and sat down. Lyra noted that none of them challenged her, or even batted an eye. The stranger smiled. “I’ll answer your questions if you answer mine.”

The new mare went for another slice, but Lyra reached out and slapped her fork away. It clattered to the ground. “Who are you, and why are you eating my cheesecake?” she shouted.

Instantly the sound in the resturant died, and Lyra could feel the eyes on her back. She didn’t care, and was trying her best to strike this mare down with her eyes. The blue haired mare was returning her glare, but she wore a lopsided grin. Why the hay does she look offended? This was my cheesecake!

Cheerilee tried to alleviate the situation. “Hey Lyra, it’s alright, I’ll just buy you another—”

“Hey waiter!” the mare called out to a stunned worker standing nearby. “Bring us the rest of this cake, ASAP!” He nodded and took off. She took her seat.

Cheerilee was concerned, but silent. Lyra was still standing, glaring at this mare who dared disrupt her meal. The mare was looking straight ahead, past her and Cheerilee. After a while, she turned and looked back at Lyra, and sucked her teeth.

“Sit down,” the mare said. Lyra, surprising herself, obliged.

There was silence at the table.

Cheerilee smiled. “Uh, let’s try this again. Hello there, what’s your name?”

Without missing a beat, the mare replied curtly. “What are you, a school teacher?” Cheerilee looked down.

Lyra interjected. “Hey, you watch your tone you—!”

“Here’s your cake, Pon-3. You guys enjoy yourself.” The waiter set the remaining three- fourths of the cheesecake on the table, and trotted away. Lyra was sure she heard the word “lucky” under his breath. Lucky for what? Surely for not sharing company with this insufferable mare.

“Ah, cake. Dig in.” The mare snatched some more silverware from another table with her magic, and started on the cheesecake.

Lyra was about to tear her mane out. “Look, just who are you?”

The mare stopped eating, with the fork hovering inches away from her face. Slowly, she looked at Lyra. Her gaze drifted to Cheerilee, then back again. “You guys... you two really don’t know who I am, do you?”

“Of course we don’t,” Lyra shouted, “we’ve asked you three times already!”

The mare set the food down, and exhaled deeply. “Geeze, sorry, ok? This is so weird. Everyone knows who I am. You guys must be new here.”

“I’m guessing your name is ‘Pon-3’,” Cheerilee said curtly.

“Well, in a way. But what if I told you,” she leaned in and paused, a little bit too long, for dramatic effect, ”names aren’t important?”

Lyra went to open her mouth, but the mare cut her off. “You. You are why I’m here.” She looked Lyra up and down. “I have literally never seen anyone sit like that. Why do you do it? It’s fascinating. Does it hurt?”

The mare didn’t pause for answers. She took matters into her own hooves, and sat up in her chair like Lyra, with her spine along the back of her chair, and her rear legs hanging over the side. She set her front hooves on the table. She sat silently with a determined look on her face. Then, slowly, she simply fell out of the chair, causing a loud crash. Again, the other patrons looked over, but she merely dusted herself off and resumed sitting the way most ponies did. Lyra and Cheerilee exchanged concerned glances.

“Well, certainly harder than it looks, isn’t it? So cool. I guess I can introduce myself, in a way. I am a rather talented young mare. Fresh on the scene but I drop hits like I was born to. I am a queen of the nightlife, a patron of party. Music is the blood in my veins. Who are you?” She was looking at Lyra, who was beginning to suspect this pony didn’t care about Cheerilee in the slightest.

Lyra used her magic to grab herself a slice of cheesecake, and take a bite. She close her eyes, trying to wrap her brain around this crazy mare who was ruining her hang out session with Cheerilee. This is some good cheesecake though.

She opened her eyes. “I’m Lyra Heartstrings. I play lyre—”

The mare burst out laughing. Lyra gritted her teeth. “A lyre? Isn’t that a ‘ye olde’ instrument? Did you dig it up out of the ground from an archeological dig?”

Lyra rose quickly. “Come on, Cheerilee. Let’s go. This pony’s just a jerk.”

“Wait!” The mare reached out and set a hoof on Lyra’s shoulder. She looked back, and almost flinched. The pony’s smug was gone, and she looked almost... concerned? “I’m sorry. Let’s start over. I guess I can tell you my name. I’m Vinyl, Vinyl Scratch.”

Another staredown occurred, but finally Lyra yielded. Grudgingly, she took her seat. She was still sour, but something about the mare’s face made her feel like it wasn’t time to leave yet.

“As I said I’m Lyra, and my friend here is Cheerilee. Be sure to be respectful, she is a teacher, and is one of the better ones out there.” Cheerilee blushed. Lyra gave her a wink.

“Oh wow, that was totally a guess. That’s hilarious—” Vinyl caught the look on Lyra’s face. “—Or not. Anyways. Are you a music fan, Lyra?”

Lyra let out a grin. She was more than content to let the conversation transition to something in her field. “If I do say so myself. I’m quite skilled at playing it, too. Did you catch my cutie mark?”

Vinyl violently shook her head. “No,” she said curtly. “You sit weird, caught my eye, had to say something. Now that I’m here, I figured I’d ask.”

“I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or not.”

Vinyl smile. “It is, trust me. What kind of music do you like?”

“All kinds. I mostly play classical, but I haven’t found a song that I can’t find something I like in it. I especially liked some of the dance songs they used to play here a few years ago. I’m guessing you’re the same.”

“Yup, you betcha. Little less enthused about the classical, but it’s growing on me. Not that I have a choice.”

Lyra looked glanced at Vinyl’s cutie mark. Two black, bridged eighth notes. “I guess music is a big thing for you huh, looking at your cutie mark. How’d you get yours?”

Vinyl voice was like steel. “Do not ask me that. I do not care about cutie marks. I care about the ponies they belong to.”

Another moment of silence passed, and more exchanged glances passed between Lyra and Cheerilee. Vinyl finished her slice of cake, and smiled. “Ah, that’s some good cake.”

“Ha, I wish you could say that to a few of my students. All they care about are getting their cuties marks. I’ve been telling them to wait,” Cheerilee added. Vinyl looked as if she had not heard her.

Lyra blinked a couple of times., and let out a disappointed “Huh.”

Suddenly, a younger colt appeared next to Vinyl. “Um, hello there, Ms. Pon-3”

“Please, no need for the formalities. DJ Pon-3 will do just fine.”

Lyra looked at Cheerilee and Cheerilee raised an eyebrow and mouthed back “Pon Three?” Lyra shrugged.

Vinyl turned back to them. “Well, Lyra and... Huh, I never caught your name. Anyways, it’s been fun. I’ve let those fans over there speculate enough. I guess it’s time to sign some autographs. Lyra, if you’re free, you should come to my show. You’ll have a good time, I swear.”

Lyra tried to keep her face unreadable. “Maybe. When is it?”

Vinyl laughed. She shook her head, and pointed to the sign Lyra was looking at earlier. “Use your powers of observation.” And with that, she stood and left. It turned out all the other patrons were just waiting for her to leave. She was shortly surrounded by fans, and they followed her out of the shoppe, leaving it mostly empty.

“That. Was. Annoying.” Cheerilee said flatly. “You should have just told her go to away.”

“Maybe,” pondered Lyra. She put another piece of cake into her mouth, then almost spit it back out. “Wait a minute Cheerilee, she didn’t pay for the cheesecake!”

They both facehoofed. “Ow,” hissed Lyra, rubbing her forehead.

“It’s... alright, Lyra. I’ll cover it.”

“No no no, I’ll...” Lyra peered into her saddlebags, and noted just how low in bits she was. She could afford this cake, but she’ll be making home lunches for the rest of the week. “I’ll pay,” she said anyways.

Cheerilee placed some bits on the table, and shook her head. “No thanks, I will. This was all my treat, anyways.”

Lyra rubbed the back of her head, messing up her mane. “Thanks Cheerilee.” She rubbed her shoulder, and fiddles with her cheesecake. “I never told you why I was here in Canterlot.” She looked at Cheerilee. She had her full attention. “I... I had some problems at home. My real home, in Ponyville, and I have to raise some money fast if I want things to go back to the way they were. I’m in Canterlot because I am bitless , and I’m looking for a job. So thanks for covering the meal.”

Cheerilee nodded. “I understand. Then it’s all the more fitting I cover the cake. This is me helping you on your journey.”

“Thanks, Cheerilee.”

They stood, and left. Outside, there was a slight chill in the air. Lyra was reminded that she was thousands of feet in the air on a mountainside. The two mares smiled at eachother, then stepped in opposite directions. Noticing, they both stopped and looked awkwardly at each other.

“Oh, I thought you’d stay in the residential district, Cheerilee. At least, that’s where most of the hotels are.”

“True, but I have a room to myself on the Canterlot Campus. School isn’t in session yet, so they let me stay in a dorm room. I guess knowing Twilight has some perks.”

Lyra rubbed her foreleg. She was hoping for company on the walk home, for she surley couldn’t afford a carriage now. “Well, I guess I’ll be seeing you back in Ponyville, whenever I get my life together.”

“It’s been a pleasure, Ms. Heartstrings.” Cheerilee extended a hoof. Lyra grinned, and returned the hoof bump. Cheerilee smiled, and turned on her way.

“Vinyl was wrong,” Lyra called out. “You’re still young.”

Cheerilee looked back. “Oh I know, Lyra. Maybe if you’d check out the night life in Ponyville sometime, you’d know.” She winked. Lyra watched her turn and begin down the street again. In a few moments, she turned a corner and was gone.

***

Lyra slowly forced herself to walk home. Leaving the Canterlot Catle grounds via the closest exit, she found herself in the north end of the art district. She looked up, and saw that the moon was beginning to rise. She had a while to go before she would make it to the residential district to the west. There were probably some shortcut to make the trip much quicker, but Lyra wasn’t privy to the routes, and decided to stick with the main roads.

Time passed, and the moon was steadily rising. She took the time to reflect on such an eventful day. Just what had Twilight gotten herself into that one of her friends came all the way to Canterlot to speak to the Princesses about her? She can’t be doing too well. And who the hay was that Vinyl mare?.

Lyra had to stop walking and take a few breaths to calm herself. If I find her, we’re going to have a stern conversation about dining and dashing..

Her route took her down the main road of the art district. It was well into dusk when she turned on the street, but it was much brighter than the one she just turned off of. Down the road, she spotted the Lunaris theater. It was lit up, hosting a show.

As Lyra kept walking, and she started to make out the lights... Exploring Maurice Stabel. She longed to hear the symphony, but she didn’t need to waste any more bits.

As she neared, however, she noticed the featured performer.

“Octavia?” Lyra said, shocked to herself. She figured Octavia was just an enigmatic face in the orchestra. She didn’t think that Octavia might actually have a name for herself.

Glancing at the ticket booth, she saw the pony behind the counter counting up his register. She almost stumbled herself to make it to the window before he closed the shutter. She slammed into the side, and the pony jumped, spilling some bits on the floor. He swore under his breath.

“I need to get in this show!” Lyra was already fishing for her bits with her magic.

He gave her a hard look, adjusting his glasses. “The show is about to start ma’am, I’m not sure you even have enough time to find your seat.”

Lyra reared up on her hind legs and slammed her front hooves on the glass, causing the attendant to jump again. “Just get me in there!” She placed all her bits on the counter.

“Alright, alright!” The pony hoofed in the required amount, and issued Lyra a ticket. She scooped the remaining bits and her ticket with her magic, and took off for the door.

***

Inside, she arrived at her seat. Her saddlebags were noticeably lighter. She hadn’t counted how many bits she had since she arrived in town, but this was the last straw, and tomorrow she would have to be serious. Ha, I sound like her now. Great.

Grabbing a last minute seat meant she was way in the back with a terrible view, but she could still see the stage. Just as she was getting comfortable in her seat (earning questioning stares from her neighbors), the lights dimmed. She got comfortable, sitting her her prefered upright position, which earned her stares from her neighbors. She waited, and then…

There she is!

Octavia looked as composed and poised as ever. She was wearing a simple black dress, with highlights that were the color of her cutie mark. She was followed by another musician, an orange unicorn. He wore the traditional tux in concert black with penguin tails.

The unicorn was levitating his violin with him, however, Octavia’s cello was already resting in the center of the stage. Lyra could hear murmurings of disapproval, and yearned to speak on Octavia’s behalf, but she knew Octavia would take care of that in a second.

Octavia walked up to the cello, grabbed the bow in her mouth, and lifted it up. She stood on her hind legs, and transferred the bow to the crook of her hoof. The motion was well practiced, and looked effortless. The unicorn remained standing, and simply brought his violin in front of him. They ceremoniously tuned. It was superficial, Octavia’s instrument was in perfect intonation.

Octavia looked at him intently. After a moment, she nodded off a count, and they set off on a musical journey.

It was beautiful. Octavia was in top form. Despite her face remaining emotionless throughout the piece, Lyra could feel the music’s highs and low clearly. The music flowed over her, making her heart race. Lyra sat there in awe, at her luck to have met Octavia, and at her life overall. It had been one adventure, and it felt like this song perfectly encapsulated what her life had been since she left Canterlot.

Octavia played a small flourish of notes. They were quick, a cascading variation on the established melody. Lyra smiled to herself, for they sounded like improvisation. However, with what little she knew of Octavia, she was sure it was a mistake on her part. A beautiful, musical mistake that most in the audience wouldn’t notice, or care. Lyra loved every bit of it.

As the last note faded into the darkness, an immediate applause erupted. Every patron was stomping their hooves to where it shook the whole building. From her vantage point, Lyra can see Octavia bowing along with her accompanist. Octavia’s face was still frozen.

Shaking her head, Lyra smiled for her. Hearing this is just what I needed, she felt. Her saddle bags were light, her parents were frustrated, and her home life was afoul back at her real house in Ponyville, but right then and there, Lyra felt good. It had been too long since she had the pleasure of experiencing a true performance.

Octavia had the connections Lyra needed to get out of the city. She seemed cunning enough, maybe a tiny bit uptight, but she was willing to put up with Lyra to make her wishes real. Besides, her playing was magnificent. She was pristine. She was perfect.

Maybe this Octavia is exactly the friend I need in Canterlot?