• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 1,641 Views, 23 Comments

Midnight Green - Voyd211



A self insert fic that desperately tries to avoid Mary Sue-ness and other self-insert cliches

  • ...
2
 23
 1,641

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“You have arrived at: Canterlot, capital of Equestria.” Midnight looked up from his EPS. This was clearly not Canterlot. If his memory served him correctly, he was in the Evertree Forest, and the house in front of him was of Zebra make.

“Uurrgh, I hate this stupid thing!”

"This area holds an annual Grand Galloping Gala–”

“Oh, for the love of Luna, shut up.”

Twilight couldn't find Midnight the next morning. The note on his door read, in unnecessarily flourished writing, “Gone to get microphone. Back in 10... hours. MG” She had wanted to ask him if he knew of Zebra Mask, but his note meant that would have to wait until MUCH later. She sighed and went to help put up more decorations for the Gala.


Midnight found himself at a completely barren landscape of rocks. He'd been here before; a family of ponies owned a rock farm here. They hadn't been too keen on his presence, so he kept going.

“Note to self, ask Mom to get me a better EPS.”

“Now arriving in: Cloudsdale, city of pegasi.”

“How did you even get that location? It's kinda impossible for an earthbound unicorn like me...”

--

Rarity stared at the black-and-white bundle on the floor in front of her. “And you brought this to me because...?”

Pinkie Pie explained. “Well, after Zebra Mask left last night, and you went off to... how was it worded? Vent your frustration? … I went over to where he'd been standing, and I found the costume there. So, since you're soooo good with clothes and such, I thought you could help me figure out who it might belong to!”

Rarity sighed, and then tried to set up the outfit on one of her mannequins. However, it didn't quite work as she planned; the main problem being that under the whole outfit was a jumpsuit, split vertically into black and white. The bodysuit was simply built for a different body type than she had any mannequins for, as the Mask costume was very slim and long.

After a quick spell to change a mannequin's body specifics, she managed to get the costume to fit. She made her observations. “Hm... it seems to be for a male pony, and it all looks designer-made. This was made for one pony and one pony only...” She noticed a hole in the forehead of the bodysuit, and just how tall the hat was. “Ah, so our guest is a unicorn! Makes sense, really, how else could he pull those tricks?”

Unfortunately, she was unable to find any more clues as to the Zebra Mask's identity. All she could decipher was that the wearer was a male unicorn, very long and thin. The outer parts were of no use, consisting of a suit, a cape, a mask, a fedora and, most worryingly, a wig. All were the same alternating black-white motif. The wig meant it could literally be anypony.


Midnight was getting a bit frustrated. All he wanted was to buy a new microphone, and yet he had somehow ended up tramping all over Equestria. This, however, was the final straw. He knew that there was no way he could possibly be here, yet here he stood.

“I think physics and logic are crying in a corner somewhere, because I'm somehow in Cloudsdale.”

“You have arrived at: Ponyville. A quiet little village–”

“You know, I've got half a mind to chuck this worthless thing off a cliff.”



Rainbow Dash entered Midnight's shack. Presumably, he was at the other end of Equestria trying to find his way to the shops. She had no idea why she was in here, she just had an odd feeling. She looked through his possessions, wondering what Rarity's reaction would be; there was simply no organization whatsoever. All of his belongings were strewn randomly about, with no rhyme or reason to the space they took up.

Although, that wasn't completely true, she saw. There HAD been organization once, although it had mostly fallen apart, but there were marked drawers and cabinets in the back corner. She decided to look in one labeled “Arts and designs.”

“Let's see, music sheets, a picture of the cart as it was originally... huh, where was that when he needed it? Hm...” Towards the back, she found something interesting: portraits of various ponies, seemingly from all over Equestria. Looking through a bit farther, she found portraits of herself and her friends, and even Princess Celestia. However, her last find made her look twice to make sure that her eyes weren't fooling her.

The final portrait, at the very back of the drawer, was of Zebra Mask.