• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 1,641 Views, 23 Comments

Midnight Green - Voyd211



A self insert fic that desperately tries to avoid Mary Sue-ness and other self-insert cliches

  • ...
2
 23
 1,641

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Oh, I like this! Thanks Midnight!”

“Meh, it was nothing.” His gift to Pinkie Pie was a full-body portrait of her with a tray of cupcakes. “I did one for Big Macintosh, too.” Pinkie Pie noticed Twilight outside talking to somepony. “Oh, come on Midnight, I want to show this to Twilight!”

“Um, sure.” The moment he walked out the door he regretted his decision; Twilight was talking to his mother. He couldn't quite get away, as Pinkie Pie started dragging him along.

“Twilight! Twilight! Look what Midnight gave me!”

Twilight saw Pinkie Pie dragging a struggling Midnight behind her, but couldn't really do anything about it, as she was trying to engage in polite conversation with Horizon. “My son's been wandering around, and we're regulars at the Grand Galloping Gala, so I figured that he'd be here, since the Gala's going to be here!”

“How do you know that he'd be here, just because of the Gala? That seems like bad logic to go on.”

“Well, he's ALWAYS at the Gala, even if he tries to get away the week before. He gets so lost that he finds himself there anyway! I have the odd feeling that he gave up on trying to get away, and just wanders for its own sake. Oh, there you are Midnight! I was just talking about you with this lovely mare here!”

Midnight remained unhappily silent. Pinkie Pie's exclamations were providing an excellent distraction from his inability to say anything. “Twilight, look at what Midnight gave me!”

“Wow, that's a pretty good picture! Did you have to pose for it?”

“Nope, he said he did it all from memory!” Midnight finally screwed up his nerves to say something. “Where's Dad and my siblings? Shouldn't they be with you?” Horizon just now seemed to realize she was alone. “Hm? They were right beside me when I left... although I suppose they wouldn't have walked through deserts to get to here from Canterlot, heheheh.”

Midnight breathed an inward sigh of relief. He got along best with his mother, and wouldn't have to deal with his siblings immediately. “Hey Midnight, have you done any songs for these fine pony folks?” Horizon's question reminded him that most of his entertainment things were in pieces, due to sudden and forceful introduction to a tree trunk. “Um, no, Mom. My stuff's kind of broken, I'll have to get it fixed.”

Horizon's grin never wavered. “Oh, come on, you don't need a microphone and speakers to sing, and– oh, is that a bakery? I love bakeries!” She strolled toward Sugarcube Corner, and then she proved Midnight's point about her sense of direction being worse than his. She got lost in the crowd, and ended up at Rarity's boutique.

Twilight's curiosity was piqued. “You can sing? You haven't done that yet.”

“I haven't had any reason to. Didn't feel like singing, among other things.”

Pinkie Pie started bouncing up and down. “Sing for us, come on, sing, sing, sing!”

Midnight sighed upon the realization that there was simply no escape. He took a deep breath... and very suddenly launched himself into a lightning-fast recitation that would have left most ponies tongue-tied. However, it was quite clear to Twilight that it was right on the edge of his vocal range, and that he was straining to keep his voice from cracking.

“GonnamakeabreakandtakeafakeIlikeastinkinachinshakeIliAAAAWK. Well, crap, now I have to start over. It's been~”