• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 1,641 Views, 23 Comments

Midnight Green - Voyd211



A self insert fic that desperately tries to avoid Mary Sue-ness and other self-insert cliches

  • ...
2
 23
 1,641

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Celestia arrived the next morning, with one day to the Gala. She was thrilled to be in Ponyville, although some of her attendants thought otherwise. Midnight was unable to even catch a glimpse of the Princess, due to crowds in his way. “Motherf– Why can't these ponies move along?” He sighed; he had no other option. he turned off the constant spell he had on his voice.

Midnight had been born very, VERY loud. He was also partially deaf to his own mouth; normal speaking volume for others was like whispering for him. Most of the time, he had a low-energy spell on his voice that kept it at a normal level. And when he turned it off...

“OI. I'D LIKE TO SEE THE PRINCESS PLEASE. YOU FOLKS PROBABLY SEE HER A LOT MORE THAN I DO, SO PLEASE STEP ASIDE OR I WILL AMPLIFY MY VOICE FURTHER.” He didn't need to say more, as the first word had bowled over the ponies nearest him, and startled the rest into confusion. He quickly turned the spell back on and waded through the thinned crowd. Just a glimpse, that was all he needed...

“Hey Midnight, can we talk?” Midnight jumped about five feet in the air. After landing with a thud, he reprimanded Twilight. “Don't sneak up on me! I hate that. Also sure, what do you want to talk about?”

“What do you know about the Zebra Mask? I know that you're familiar with him, you have a portrait of him in your house.”

“I can't say I've actually met him. Or spoken with him, anyway. Hard to talk to somepony that can vanish.”

“I'll have to agree on that one... But you had to have seen him!”

“Sure I've seen him. I can't tell ya much more than that, I'm afraid.” Midnight turned back around, but the Princess had already gone.

“Sigh... I think this is going to be an uneventful day.”

Midnight's father was working elsewhere, and Tangerine had gotten himself in huge trouble. As punishment, he wasn't going to the Gala, and Horizon couldn't leave Shimmer with Midnight. As such, Midnight found out that he was the only member of his family that would be attending the Gala. Twilight went to his house later to try and question him further, but the door was locked. She could hear ruffling paper and muffled thuds from inside, but the shack had no windows, so she had no idea what he was doing. She figured not to disturb him, since she thought that whatever he was doing, disturbing him would cause catastrophe.

“–to be tripped down the stairs, I'll be there, and I'm waiting round the corner– no, wait, I keep getting that line wrong.” Midnight turned his songbook back a page. His plan for the Gala was simple: He would sing to his heart's content. He had earlier sent a letter to whoever was organizing the Gala. They had responded promptly, and permission was granted. He had to make sure that he was reciting the lyrics perfectly.

Thus the musical rehearsal.

“Alright, alright... one more time... two, three, When the devil is too busy, and death's a bit too much~”

By the time the sun had gone down, Midnight had perfected his songlist. He usually had song lyrics commited to memory, but he didn't like taking chances. He also knew that sometimes he'd forget one word, and (to him, anyway) the entire song would be ruined.

He grinned tiredly at the black-and-white-garbed mannequin standing near him before falling asleep.