• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 2,834 Views, 41 Comments

Letters From Ponyville - FearlessXIII



Even the most typical of ponies can become caught up in Ponyville's unique rhythm of life...

  • ...
0
 41
 2,834

Chapter Three: How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Chapter Three: How I Spent My Summer Vacation


Present Day...


Reason awoke in his own bed for the first time since he’d moved to Ponyville. He was astounded by how good he felt, despite the day he had just been through. Spending some time on the roof of his apartment had been nothing short of therapeutic, and chatting idly with his new friends really bolstered his attitude.

‘There is still something that bothers me, though. This town seems so... divided,’ Reason thought.

And it was true: after yesterday’s incident at the café, Reason was met with cheers and affirmation. By contrast, this morning he was greeted with five rather unpleasant notes written in glaring red ink slid under his door. Most of them centered around the notion of “going back where he had come from” or “leaving Ponyville business to Ponyville”. Without so much as a precursory glance, he tossed them into his garbage pail.

While the sentiment from these anonymous ponies stung, Reason did not let them sway his resolve. Today was a new day, and there were jobs in need of a colt like him!

‘Besides, with two wonderful new friends by my side, there’s nothing anypony can say that will stop me!’ Reason thought triumphantly as he strode through the door.

Blackberry Jam loved to talk, so his new friend Sugarsnap was a nice change of pace. That mare seemed really eager to be friends, what with her constant smiles and explosive laughter.

Reason felt like he could take anything Ponyville could throw at him.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For the first time since she had taken over the family tradition of selling produce in the market, Sugarsnap slept in.

Once again, Blackberry Jam had not stopped by to wake her. This instantly brought her mood down. Groggily, she slid off of her mattress and planted her hooves on the hardwood floors of her cottage. Sugarsnap trotted to her nightstand, where there stood a photo of herself and Blackberry Jam at last year’s Summer Sun Celebration. She brushed a hoof over B.B.’s visage, then grunted in frustration.

“I just don’t know what she sees in that stallion!” Sugarsnap shouted to nopony at all. “B.B. barely paid any attention to me on that idiot’s stupid roof. And he just kept talking right back to her, like the rest of the world just didn’t exist at all!”

‘And... I know stallions. They’re all exactly the same, after just one thing. That’s how I know that Blackberry Jam can do better. She needs somepony that cares, somepony that understands her...’

Sugarsnap finished her thought aloud. “Blackberry needs somepony like me. That... ugh... stallion... had better keep his dirty hooves off my Blackberry!”

The leafy-colored mare glanced at the antique grandfather clock in the hall. It read a quarter to noon.

‘Too late to get a spot at the market. Maybe I should take a day off to clear my head? I haven’t had a vacation in ages! Oh! I’ve always wanted to try that one spa...’

With that, Sugarsnap forgot all about Reason, her mind aflame with the possibilities of a brand new day. Her mother had always instilled in Sugarsnap the notion of an honest day’s work, but then again, her parents were vacationing in Baltimare indefinitely.

‘And besides, dedicating just one day to myself won’t hurt anypony, right?’ Sugarsnap thought, a grin forming on her face.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“So how much for the ‘Full Physical and Mental Recovery’ treatment?” Sugarsnap inquired. She had seen Aloe once or twice at parties, but her sister Lotus was a different matter entirely. Sugarsnap had walked into the spa thinking Aloe had dyed her mane and coat for some bizarre reason. Thank goodness for secretarial name plates.

Lotus grinned. “Twenty four bits. However, Aloe and I are running a special for new customers today only: a fifty-percent discount on all services for anypony that signs up for our Preferred Customer Discount Card and weekly newsletter! You get the full course for a mere twelve bits, and you receive fifty percent off all services for the first month as a trial. With it, you’ll get access to special promotions, and--”

Sugarsnap was not listening at this point.

‘Twelve bits?! I can’t believe my luck! I should take a day off more often!’ she thought.

“I’ll take it!” Sugarsnap shouted. She pulled her money pouch from her saddlebag, and carefully counted out twelve bits.

“Perfect! Aloe will take you to our Tranquility Sauna, and I will be with you in fifteen minutes for a relaxing massage that is guaranteed to make your worries drift away!”

Sugarsnap was lost in thoughts about her own good fortune, so much so that she nearly ran headlong into a white unicorn exiting the room where the spa siblings did their hooficure work.

“Watch where you’re going! You almost made me chip a hoof!” the white unicorn said with a glare. After examining her snow-white hoof and concluding that there were indeed no flaws to be found, the unicorn turned to add something more.

Sugarsnap’s head was in the clouds, as they say, so she just kept on walking right past the unicorn.

“Stuff it, princess. Nopony is going to ruin my day! Celestia herself doesn’t have the power to shake my good mood!” Sugarsnap called over her shoulder.

The white unicorn fumed for a brief moment, perhaps contemplating pursuing Sugarsnap. With a shake of her head and an audible “hmph!”, the unicorn continued her way out of the spa.

From her desk, Lotus caught the short exchange. Once Aloe had led Sugarsnap into the sauna, Lotus spoke to the unicorn mare. “I apologize for that, miss. She really should have been watching where she was going.”

“Oh piffle, I don’t blame you, dear. But really! Sometimes I wonder about this town! It’s just a good thing Fluttershy wasn’t with me today; you know how upset the poor dear gets.”

“Did you still want to schedule a mane-dying with next week’s appointment?” Lotus asked.

The white mare let out a huff, running a hoof through her stylish violet mane. “No, I don’t think so. Suddenly green hair doesn’t seem so appealing. Let’s just stick with the usual course for Fluttershy and me, alright?”

“Can do, miss.”


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After visiting two clothing stores, two construction sites, a sweets shop, and a local café, Reason finally managed to strike paydirt: a help wanted sign hung listlessly outside of a run-down diner.

At first, Reason thought the place was closed: there were wooden planks crossed over two of the diner’s windows, paint was chipping from every wall, and there did not appear to be a customer in sight. As he pressed his ear to the door, Reason could definitely hear the sounds of a restaurant inside, so with a deep breath he trotted in.

There were a grand total of six ponies visible in the restaurant upon his entry, five patrons and a single waitress. They ceased their various conversations when the tiny bell over the entryway sounded. For the second time in two days, Reason had every single eye on him in the middle of an eating establishment.

The waitress was an older, bubblegum pink unicorn wearing a filthy white apron. She cantered up to Reason flashing a toothy grin.

“Hey there, hon! Just go ahead and take a seat wherever ya like. I’ll be with ya in a few to take your order.”

Reason obliged, taking a seat nearest the back. He could still feel the presence of eyes on his back, but at the very least these were the eyes of idle curiosity instead of hostility. He found this to be a nice change of pace.

After a brief moment, the pink unicorn returned to his table. She levitated out a quill and notepad. “My name’s Sunny. I’ll be ya waitress this afternoon; what’ll it be, hon?”

Reason cleared his throat. “Well, I wanted to ask about the sign outside--”

“Oh! You want a job?! Fantastic! I’ll go get Pops, you just sit right there!! Don’t go anywhere!!”

The pink unicorn nearly tripped over a metal stool at the counter as she scrambled to what Reason gathered was the kitchen. She smashed through the swinging doors, shouting, “HEY POPS!! YOU GOT A GUY HERE WHO WANTS A JOB!!!”.

Reason ducked his head down, and peaked between the cross planks on his window. Judging by the perplexed looks of ponies on the street, he was absolutely sure they had her yell.

Eventually, Reason began to look around the diner. Three customers had already left, and the last two were waiting impatiently at the register for Sunny to return. He noticed the checkered black and white floor tiles were filthy, the inside needed a coat of paint as badly as the outside did, and that the most interesting thing in the dining area was somewhat of an eyesore in itself: there in the front of the restaurant stood a small stage with ripped red curtains, a sleek, black grand piano off to one side. Even if it was the cleanest, most effective implement in the diner, it looked very lonely amongst its shoddy surroundings.

“So you’re looking for a job, eh?”

The voice startled Reason, causing him to kick his table with a forehoof. In front of him sat perhaps the oldest pony Reason had met since coming to Ponyville: the fellow was an olive-green pegasus with bushy grey eyebrows that matched his even bushier grey mustache. He wore a little brown bowler cap tilted to the side of his head, and had on a brown and blue knit sweater on.

“Yes, uh, if you’re still hiring. My name’s Reason.”

The grizzled pegasus scratched his chin with a hoof. “Reason... Reason... Hmm. Are you new in town, lad?”

“Yes sir. I just arrived a few days ago.”

“Right, right. So... what do you think of Ponyville so far?”

“Um, it’s... alright, I guess. Most of the ponies here seem pretty nice.”

“Most are, most are...” The pony known as Pops twirled his mustache with a hoof, then un-twirled it. He repeated this act several times. “Do you think you’ll be staying very long, m’boy?”

Reason shifted uncomfortably. “I’d like to. I mean, once I get some money saved up, I’d like to move my sister here--”

Pops raised a hoof to silence him. “Now, now, we’ll get to payment in a minute. Just hold on. Have you worked in a restaurant before? Any experience dealing with customers?”

“Not exactly. My parents ran a citrus orchard, and I used to sometimes go with my mother to sell in Manehatten.”

“Hmm. Manehatten. Not at all like Ponyville’s market, huh?”

“No, sir.”

“So that’s where your sister is now, I take it? Back home with mom and dad?”

“Well, no. She’s living in an apartment by herself right now. Our parents have both passed away.”

The olive pegasus patted Reason’s shoulder with a hoof. “I’m sorry to hear that, lad.”

“It was quite a while ago. I’m all that my sister has left. That’s why I want to bring her here to Ponyville.”

“Hmm. Your sister, huh... She ever been to Ponyville?”

“Oh yes. She was just a foal, but she visited once with our mother. Maybe you’ve met mom? Lemon Drop? Yellow mare, candy bowl full of little lemons for a cutie mark?”

After a bit more chin scratching, Pops shook his head. “Nope. Can’t say I have. But let’s get back to business for a minute, huh? Can you cook?”

“I... I used to make most of the meals for Rhyme and I back in Manehatten, yes.”

‘And wasn’t that a disaster,’ Reason thought with a shudder.

“So... what does your cutie mark mean, if you don’t mind my askin’? Leafy branches? You good at garden work or something? The front could use a bit of landscaping--”

Sunny could contain herself no longer. With a leap, she jumped onto the counter and pointed a hoof at the ancient green pegasus. “Oh for Celestia’s sake! Will ya just hire the kid already, ya old coot?! We need the help in the worst kinda way!!”

As if waking from a trance, Pops shook himself. “Hm? Wha- huh? Right! Welcome aboard, Reason! Consider Pop’s Place your home away from home!” With an enthusiasm unprecedented for a stallion his age, Pops grabbed Reason’s right forehoof and shook it vigorously with both of his own.

Once Reason had concluded that his leg was both still in its socket and worked more or less as it had before it experienced Pop’s welcome, he spoke. “Thank you so much. Hardly any place is hiring in Ponyville, it seems. This means a lot.”

Pops waved a hoof dismissively. “Probably ‘cause of the Summer Sun Celebration. Anyways, let me introduce you to the crew. That there’s Sunny Side,” he pointed at the waitress, then continued, “and right here’s the cook, accountant, owner, operator, janitor, and spokespony for Pop’s Place.”

Pops did not point out any other ponies.

“Sir--”

“Pops, lad.”

“Right. Pops, you mean to tell me you two run this entire place by yourselves?”

“Well, I can’t afford to keep nopony else. This old place just don’t rake in the customers like it used to. Sunny’s my niece, so she helps out when she can.”

“Beats the heck out of workin’ construction,” Sunny added.

While Reason would have been fine bantering with the two older ponies for the better part of the day, he did still have a mission.

“So when can I start?” Reason asked.

Pops trotted behind the counter, then flipped a mop with a wing at Reason’s hooves. “Right now. It’s four bits an hour, and closin’ time is nine p.m. everyday. We open at six.”

‘Four bits an hour?! That’s outrageous!’ Reason fumed.

The pegasus continued, “You’ll be waitin’ tables, cleaning up after customers, and we might even get you started cooking by the end of the week. I’m just gettin’ a bit too old to run the whole show by m’self.”

Between clenched teeth, Reason managed to ask, “So if I’m waiting tables, that means tips are included in my pay, right?”

Pops let out a hearty laugh. “You kiddin’? Every bit that comes in goes to keepin’ this place afloat. Now, if business kicked up, that’d be a different story. Why, we could clean this place up, get some new seating, fix the holes in the roof, hire some prettier waitresses... Hey. Why haven’t you started moppin’ yet? Come on, boy! You’re on the clock now!”


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sugarsnap was in a state of bliss. The sauna had been a small slice of paradise, the massage was likewise a divine blessing.

However, it was unable to follow through on Lotus’ promise of “melted worries”.

“Something the matter? You’re looking a little pale; did you not like the sauna?” Lotus asked. She was midway through easing the tension from Sugarsnap’s shoulders using precise hoof motions.

Sugarsnap let out a long sigh. “Oh, I don’t know. Is your sister around? I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about this sort of thing.”

Lotus began carefully massaging Sugarsnap’s back. “Aloe’s working the desk right now. C’mon, sometimes all you need is a good listener. What’s on your mind, Sugarsnap?”

The earth pony farmer released another sigh. “There’s just so much happening right now, Lotus. My folks, my brother, my friends...”

“Well, let’s start at the homefront: what’s the deal with your family? Everything okay?”

Sugarsnap let out a snort. “Yeah, if by ‘okay’ you mean ‘absent’, sure. Mom and dad are in Baltimare for the third time this year. They’ve been going up north every year since they got married, but they haven’t been by the farm in almost four months now! I can’t keep taking care of it by myself! And my brother... If I never see that stallion again, it will be all too soon!”

“Oh, you don’t mean that. I know living with siblings can be tough, but--”

“That’s the problem! I don’t live with him! Snowy LEFT! He’s gone!”

Lotus gasped. “Snow Pea?! But everypony loved him around here! Why would he leave?”

“Beats me! About a week after mom and dad left for vacation this last time, I wake up and find a note on the door that says, ‘Off to join Canterlot Royal Guard. Love, Snow Pea’. That’s it; no explanation, no way of contacting him, no NOTHING! Stallions are all alike: heartless cowards, and that’s BEFORE they leave you all alone in a big, empty farmhouse...”

Sugarsnap stopped yelling, and wiped a tear from her cheek with a hoof. She sniffled a little, and Lotus offered her a tissue, patting Sugarsnap’s hoof empathetically all the while.

After Sugarsnap had regained her composure, she continued, “And... and if it weren’t for Blackberry Jam, I’d still be in that big, empty farmhouse... She used to come by and talk to me, or bring me a jar of their homemade jam. We’d eat sandwiches on the porch and gossip about Ponyville, or how pointless colts are... she just... she was there for me.”

Lotus piped up. “Blackberry Jam? You mean, that mare with the quarter note cutie mark?”

Sugarsnap sniffled again. “Yeah... She’s my very best friend...”

‘I just wish she knew that...’ Sugarsnap thought sadly.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Reason laid back on his roof. Even though the day had virtually come to an end, ponies were still milling about getting the first preparations for the upcoming festival touched up before they called it a night.

His first day at work at been a nightmare: agonizingly slow at the beginning, followed by an absurd dinner rush that had him cleaning the entire restaurant until fifteen minutes after closing. The stars were just beginning to twinkle on the horizon.

The café across the street apparently catered to late-night coffee enthusiasts; even now, Reason could hear the ponies chatter:


“This Summer Sun Celebration is going to be the best one in Ponyville history!”

“You aren’t going to dye your hair green anymore? But Rarity, you were so excited about it. What changed your mind? Um, that is, if you don’t mind my asking...”

“Look Honeybun, I’m not saying I don’t want to have kids...”

“Has anypony seen Junebug? I think I’ve got some of her mail.”

“Where’s our waiter? We’ve been here for over an hour!”

“Don’t worry, Scootaloo. Miss Cheerilee says sometimes it takes a while to get your cutie mark. There’s other kids that don’t have ‘em yet. That unicorn over there has a little sister, I hear. Maybe she doesn’t have hers yet either? You should talk to her!”

“Delivering mail is so much fun! Everypony is super nice, and I just love when their face lights up when I give them a letter!”


Reason was beginning to get a headache. As much as he wanted to watch the stars tonight, he decided to sleep in his own bed. After all, tomorrow marked his first full day of work.

‘If it means helping Rhyme, I’ll do this silly job,’ Reason thought. ‘She seemed pretty excited about meeting everypony... and I think I’m pretty excited about her meeting them, too! The sooner, the better!’

With a soft sigh, Reason trotted back into his apartment, and crawled onto his bed. As he drifted off to slumber, a soft smile covered his face.


Chapter Three: END






Special thanks goes out to UnparalleledGenius and Leah Thompson for keeping me sane and fixing my grammatical mishaps.

Comments ( 11 )

So that's how Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell met.

In other news, the Sun celebration should be... interesting, to say the least.

A Lower Deck Episode... that's a whole series. :pinkiesmile: This is a very interesting fic, and I'll be watching it!

1062053 Wholeheartedly seconded. Really enjoying how this is shaping up and I can't wait to see more.:pinkiehappy:

Give me MOOOORE :flutterrage:

...please? :scootangel:

1096898

All in good time, friend. :ajsmug:

Also, I like your pic.

The plot is a bit too simple, and that Derpy cover had me expecting… well… more Derpy. :derpytongue2: (yeah I know she ain't in the character tags, but I rarely ever check that) …and the title made me think of a chronicle book with many short slice-of-life chapters and assorted characters.

That said, it's a very interesting story and I like the two main characters. I also like how even though it's a simple love triangle, I really can't guess what's coming next, and I'm actually quite eager to find out! Nice work. :ajsmug:

Wow, it took me this long to read this? :derpytongue2:

My apologizes, I got horribly busy the last few weeks. This was a very nice chapter, and I eagerly await the next one.

Great job. I am looking forward to reading more of this story. I hope they are on their way.

:twilightsmile: I know you told me not to read your story, but I started on the introduction and it's just been a page-turner(Down-scroller?) ever since! So....you should totally update soon.

Once you get back from CG that is.

well done adding little referenses to the show there!

Login or register to comment