• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 883 Views, 57 Comments

Chasing Treasures - Yukito



The race is on to secure ancient artefacts that open the way to Equestria before criminal mastermind Tirek does

  • ...
4
 57
 883

3 - Recruitment Drive

"This is it! This is the end of me for sure!"

"Sunset, you're overreactin'," Applejack said as she walked alongside her friend through the school. She rolled her eyes as Sunset pushed the school's doors open with more force than necessary and stomped outside of the building.

"Overreacting?! I'm going to have to leave this world soon and you think that's 'overreacting'?!"

"Just because he's our president now, don't mean y'all will have ta leave us."

"I'm an ill-" Sunset stopped and looked around cautiously, before whispering to Applejack, "I'm an illegal alien – in more ways than one!"

"But the FBI are coverin' for ya, aren't they?"

Sunset cupped her chin and paced in circles around Applejack, drawing many odd looks that made the farmgirl feel uncomfortable. "That's true, but even they have limited power here. If the president orders it, will they have to obey? Wait, maybe…" Sunset snapped her fingers. "That's it! Maybe Shining Armor can help me forge some documents so I can live here legally!"

"Ah don't think that's a wise idea. Sounds kinda… illegal."

"Hey, why break a habit?" Sunset took out her phone and dialled a number. It rang several times, but there was no answer. "Typical. Just when you need the guy…"

"Ya know, ma cousin Braeburn's lookin' for a girlfriend right now. If y'all marry into the family, y'could get yer green card that way."

Sunset raised an eyebrow. "Braeburn? Isn't he gay?"

"'Course not! … Ah don't think, at least."

"Eh, I'll pass, anyway. I can track Shining Armor's phone using the tracer I put in it when he wasn't looking."

Applejack slammed a hand into her face. "If y'all get arrested for anythin', it won't be illegal immigration!"

Sunset's phone began to beep, and her face brightened as she looked up to her friend. "Ah, he's nearby! I can catch him if I hurry…"

"Want me to come with? Or stay here in case y'all need a bail?"

"You should probably stay here. I'll call you but not say anything if I'm trouble." With that, Sunset bid her friend farewell and rushed off away from the school, heading towards the Canterlot's downtown area.


Meanwhile, Adagio Dazzle was finding it difficult to concentrate on her driving whilst the two nuisances in the back bickered and squabbled with each other, despite her repeated warnings for them to stop it.

"Adagiooooo! Aria called me a bad word!"

"Well she keeps putting her foot on my side! You know I hate that!"

"I can't help it! That last job sprained my leg and I need to stretch it!" Sonata leaned forwards, putting her hands on the back of Adagio's chair, and asked, "Hey, can we stop at the McDonald's on the way?"

"We're about to rob a bank! The fast-food can wait!" Aria shouted.

Sonata whined. "I only want an ice-cream! I'll be super quick!"

Adagio slammed one of her hands on the wheel, silencing the two behind her. "We'll stop on the way back, after we lose the cops!"

Sonata sighed, and flopped back into her seat. "Fiiiiine."

"You gotta stop spoiling her, 'Dag."

"I'm sorry, do you want to take her role of keeping us alive out there?"

Aria said nothing, and few almost a full minute, the three continued to drive in absolute silence. And then, Sonata started singing. "Shut up already! You're annoying me!"

"I'm just expressing myself through song!"

"Well don't! You know we sound bad without our magic!"

"You're not the boss of me!"

"Yes I am!"

"No you're not!"

"Yes, I am!"

Adagio felt a vein pop in her head and she slammed a fist onto the seat beside her. "If the two of you don't stop that right now, there will be NO HEIST, and NO ICE-CREAM! So-help me, I will turn this car around RIGHT NOW and return to our hideout!"

Aria fell silent after that, whilst Sonata peered out of her window, and then out of Aria's, a look of confusion on her face. "Well, you'd have an easy time doing that… There're no people anywhere."

Aria clenched her hand into a fist, but as she looked around at the streets outside, she realised that Sonata was right. Even the pedestrians were missing. "Hey, 'Dag, I don't like this…"

Adagio nodded her head. Just then, a horn sounded, and Adagio saw a red car speeding behind them. It drove alongside their own car for a few seconds, its tinted-windows preventing any of them from seeing whoever was inside.

As the windows lowered, Adagio recognised the woman driving it as Agent Chrysalis, and the one beside her was Agent Gilda. Chrysalis held her badge up, showing her status as an FBI agent, and said, "Excuse me, but could you pullover please?"

Adagio gritted her teeth and stepped down on the gas pedal, accelerating past the FBI car as she watched them in her mirror. "Why are they after us now?! We haven't done anything yet! … That's big."

"Look out!"

Adagio gasped and turned her attention back to the road, finding a blockade ahead of her, complete with agents pointing guns their way. She slammed a foot onto the braking pedal and applied the handbrake, skidding to a halt before the waiting agents.

At the head of the group, she recognised Shining Armor, walking her way with revolver in his hand. He seemed lax, but the ten agents keeping their sights trained on the sirens with automatic weapons did not, so she did not risk reaching for her pistol.

As Shining Armor approached the car, he gave an appreciate whistle. "Nice convertible," he said, reaching the side of the vehicle and leaning over to speak to the three girls inside. "Where'd you steal a ride this good from?"

"Nowhere, actually," Adagio said. "We won it in a poker match. Gambling's legal in this state."

"If you're old enough… Which, I suppose you are, actually, but that's besides the point."

"We did cheat, to be fair," Sonata added, earning a facepalm from Aria.

"Why did you tell him that?" Aria grumbled into her hand.

"Look, you said we could go free so long as we don't leave Maine, we don't use any jewels to harness magic, and we don't commit any crimes."

"Yes, and since then, you've committed thirty-nine petty thefts, three major robberies, two acts of aiding a drug trafficking offence, and have planned one heck of a heist." Chrysalis chuckled as she approached the three, putting away her notebook and reaching forward to cup Aria's chin with her hand. "We've kept our eyes on you, but let you go because these crimes were so small and easy to remedy."

"Oh. Well, that was nice of you," Sonata said, earning a jab to the arm from Aria.

"There's a catch," Aria told her.

"That's right," Chrysalis said. "The three of you have something valuable to us: your knowledge of magic, and magical artefacts."

"We've recently received intel that a high-value target is making moves to secure magical artefacts, and a witness has backed this up for us. Therefore, we need your expertise," Shining Armor explained. "Accept and we'll extend your parole to allow you to leave Maine, so long as you stay within the United States and agree to wear tracking devices at all times. Refuse, and it's back to the bureau's private prison cells, where we can hold you for as long as we want because, legally, you three don't even exist."

Adagio bared her teeth, but remained calm. "How dare you threaten us?"

"Very easily, actually." Chrysalis' phone rang, distracting Shining Armor for a moment. He watched as she walked away to answer the call, and then turned his attention back to the three girls. "So? Is it a deal?"

"… Like we have any choice," Adagio said, turning off her car's engine and handing the keys to Shining Armor.

"We'll take good care of your ride, and even return it to you upon your release. Now, Adagio, you're with me. Aria, you ride with Chrysalis, and Sonata can ride with Gilda."

"You're separating us?" Aria asked, looking worried as she glanced over to the woman still on her phone. "Uh, can I go with the dyke, instead?"

"The fuck d'you call me?!" Gilda shouted, reaching for her gun, but stopping when Shining Armor held out his hand. "… Remember, you're only allowed to even live because you have special knowledge!"

"Meaning you can't kill us," Aria returned with a grin, making Gilda growl as her veins began to bulge.

"Don't worry about her," Sonata comforted, taking Gilda's arm and nodding reassuringly at her. "Aria's just in one of her moods! I'll cheer you up with my wonderful singing on the way!"

Gilda tried to pull away from the beaming blue-haired girl, but found that grip to be too tight. "Uhhh, maybe I'll take the bitch, after all."

Chrysalis rejoined the group just as Adagio managed to pull Aria from almost ripping out Gilda's throat. "I'm afraid I have more bad news," she said to Shining Armor, ignoring the increasingly-loud yelling behind herself. "Sunset Shimmer's been arrested, after trying to sneak past our agents surrounding the area."

The yelling stopped suddenly, and all eyes turned to Chrysalis. Shining Armor sighed, putting a hand to his head. "… Just so we're clear-"

"Yes, I do mean the Equestrian Sunset Shimmer."

"Alright… Alright, just, let's get these three back first. Tell the agents to detain her, but treat her like a guest. No harm is to come to her. And then tell them to send Blueblood to explain that I'm busy and will get to her when I have time."

"I already told them to bring her here," Chrysalis said, pointing to something behind Shining Armor. He turned around, and sure enough, there she was, grinning sheepishly, until she saw the Dazzlings, at which point confusion spread across her face.

As Shining Armor turned back to glare at his partner, all that she could offer was a shrug, and a simple, "I thought that's what you'd want?"