• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 869 Views, 11 Comments

Lucid Dreams - Jumping Jack



A young orphan pegasus escapes into his dreams and imagination while trying to overcome his fear of befriending others. And to do that, he needs the help of three young fillies and a majestic alicorn.

  • ...
5
 11
 869

Sweet Dreams Are Made of These

A thought had occurred. one that he thought would fit well with his story.

'But, where should I really start?' the young colt asks himself. The young colt sat at his desk in a dimly lit room. With only the company of a tussled bed from the many restless nights he has had and the small splintered desk that laid against the wall. The dim flicker of the candle signaled to the young colt of the opened window. Feeling earlier as if he needed fresh air. He shivered before looking up from his paper and quill, staring at the blank ceiling. He had always saw it as like a blank canvas, just waiting to be riddled with the words of his mind. Yes, a wall or ceiling would do nicely to fill out a story.

Not too big but big enough to gather his thoughts into one. He shifted slightly in his seat, struggling with the thought. 'It would go well... but it is missing something.' he thought. The slight calming breeze of the spring air blew through his room, making the young colt shiver. He sighed, standing up before walking over to the window and closing it. But not before he looked out of it. The tall grass flowing like the waves of the sea. He stood there and watched. His bed head of a cerulean mane flowed with the breeze. The colt smiled softly. He has always enjoyed the spring season. It reminded him of a story he once read.

Mother Wisp would tell the children stories. He had never cared until one evening when she told a story about two odd pairs of friends. One was the clever of the two. Always tough, resilient and wise when it came to confronting the ponies of his town. The other, a simple minded but aspiring horse who dreamt of living on his own farm, tending the fields with his friend, the clever one. Yes, an odd pair a pony and a horse make. So different, but both reliant on one another. The horse would always find himself stumbling over the others and getting into unintentional trouble, leaving the clever one to bale him out of the situation.

But that doesn't mean the clever one had his own troubles. He was in love with a mare from a small town. And being the farmer he was, he wouldn't find the time to try and confront his feelings for her. Leaving him distressed and afraid of the world around him. The simple mind would sit with him, sharing to him a story about him and a mouse. The story was short, but simple. The simple mind would always cheer the clever mind. The two relied on one another. The many stories they told under the night skies while fishing in the river. The many rise and falls they had when it came to their community. The colt sighed sadly.

It seemed the two had so much in common for being so different. And yet, when it came to the clever one to finally propose to the mare, a corrupt bureaucrat didn't like the idea of the farmer staking claim on the mare he had planned to marry. The duo eventually find themselves in a predicament of their farm being bought out by the bureaucrat, making the tension rise with the clever one and his girl. The two would constantly argue, leaving the simple mind to cower at the thought of his best friend living a lonely life. The simple mind knew what it would mean to have his friend marry to a mare.

He had always thought the dream of him living with his friend on the farm was too good to be true. Yet, he couldn't feel but be happy for him, despite the jealousy he felt earlier. on one fateful night, the clever one had an idea that would sabotage the bureaucrat and save his marriage for the mare. The plan had gone off without a hitch. That was until the patrol that was hired by the bureaucrat caught the clever one in the act of sabotage, forcing him to kill two of the ponies in his escape. It had already been done. Not only was murder committed, but the clever one was about to be caught. The simple one had an idea though. A sad one. One that made the young colt wonder why he had done so.

A brief confrontation of the two along with the mare lead to them being caught in a alley. All seemed lost when the simple mind suddenly spoke up and declared it was all his idea. The clever one and the mare protested, but the deed had been done. Murder and sabotage was placed on the horse. The next day, the town held an execution of the simple mind. Many of the townsfolk gathered and watched as the horse was lead to the gallows. The colt remembers the horse scanning the crowd, praying that his friend had gotten away. When no sign of the clever one, the horse smiled and was read his rites.

The thought depressed the colt. Why did he take all the blame for an idea made by another? What was so important to the simple mind that lead to the clever one to leave the town and not try to save his friend? And more importantly, what could have gone differently in the plan that shouldn't have lead to that? The colt never understood why others would do such a thing. But the story about it felt strange and inspiring for him. After the story, he found himself sitting at his desk with a paper and quill and started writing. Writing nothing in particular at first.

It was just a simple revision of the paragraph of the moment in the story. The colt thought of the many ways the two friends could have gotten out. A happy ending was all he wanted. But wasting away into the night made him realize. Was it all unavoidable? Whatever he thought of that he thought could work, it always lead him to write down a consequence. Or at least a subtle consequence. But in the end, it would always lead to the ending of the characters. The colt frowned before closing the window and trotting back over to his desk, kicking aside the crumpled up balls of paper that littered his floor. He took a quill, dabbing it in the ink before writing.

Constance couldn't believe what he had done. Murder. The ponies stared widely in his eyes. The life no longer in him. Constance looked around, panicking as he scoured the room. Having to find nothing that could sway him from the thought, he heard the whistles of the patrol clear as day. He bolted for the window, sliding out from it and onto the roof.

The colt stopped and thought again. he has already gone the route of trying to hide. He had already thought of the confrontation. But why was it so difficult to come to an understanding? Did ponies really not care for civil conversation or was it really just as bad as everypony thought to make it out to be? The colt groaned in frustration before crumpling the paper and tossing it over his head again. He sighed and stared up at the ceiling once more. Of the many ideas he had tried to come up with, he couldn't find the right one. He blinked once, suddenly feeling his body heavy. How late has he gone into the night? With no clock on the walls of his room, he quietly went to open his door and stare down the dimly lit hall of the orphanage.

At the end of it was a grandfather clock that reached the ceiling. The colt squinted, trying to make out the time. As if on cue, the clock rang to life. Striking not once, but twice. He had gone into the next day. The colt yawned before quietly closing the door and dragging himself to his bed. The sheets soft under his pale blue hide. Adjusting himself comfortably, he stared back into the ceiling. The passage of the story running through his head. What could he have done differently? Why the sacrifice? His eyes fell upon him into the calming blackness.

~~~oooOOOooo~~~

The colt found himself sitting on a pier. He looked calmly out to the quiet riverbed. The river calm and unmoving except for the bob in the water. He squinted his eyes, seeing two extra next to his but more spaced out. He looked to his left, seeing a young stallion with a straw hat and a wheat stem in between his teeth in worn out overalls. he had his hat tipped over his eyes as he snoozed softly in his kick back state. The colt looked to his right and saw a tall calico horse in a sleepy but happy expression as he stared out into the river. The horse towered over them like a giant. The colt has heard of horses somewhere in Equestria. He has heard that they are as big as a one story building. Of course, he found it farfetched, but the idea seemed intriguing. The colt finally looked down at himself.

He too was wearing overalls. His tattered flannel shirt covering up most of his hide. The three stayed there, enjoying the quiet serene sound of the quiet river. The colt smiled. He remembers this part. He found it enjoyable.

"Constance, you ever 'ear 'bout the mayor's daughter?" the horse suddenly said, his voice drawling but deep and calm. The colt looked over to his left. The stallion, Constance, didn't move or look when he replied.

"What 'bout her?" The horse shrugged.

"I dunno. Do you tink maybe yer' out of her league?" Constance finally looked up and gave a small glare at the horse.

"What are ya' goin' on about, Tussle?" the farmer asked in a small hint of annoyance. The horse, Tussle, quickly responded.

"Nothin' Constance. Jus' wonderin' why she catches yer' fancy." Constance snorted in reply.

"Tain't non of yer' business what I do." Tussle rubbed his chin, when suddenly, his pole began tugging. Tussle looked confusedly at the pole.

"Constance." Tussle stated. The stallion farmer saw it too. He quickly shot up, startling the young colt.

"Well, what are ya' waitin' fer?" Constance rushed over and took hold of the pole. He began pulling, but the force seemed to pull back. Constance grunted as he tried to pull. The colt was about to jump up to help, but Tussle quickly grabbed hold of the pole with Constance and together, they both heaved back. The colt stared in awe as a giant bass flew out of the water and sailed over head. Constance and Tussle fell onto their haunches and watched in stock surprise as the bass landed on the pier and began flopping around. "Quick, grab it!" Constance dove at the fish, but it just flopped over his head, smacking him in the muzzle with a tail.

Tussle quickly helped Constance up, making a quick attempt at stopping the bass with his hoof, only to have it slip under him. The colt stood up now, readying himself as the bass flopped his way. He quickly lunged at it, only to find himself landing on his belly on the pier as the bass flopped away. The colt stumbled after the fish. He was about to catch it when the bass suddenly flipped over him and into the water. The colt frowned, seeing the shimmering figure of the bass swim quickly away and out into the river. He looked over to see a disappointed Constance and a sad looking Tussle.

"Dang." Constance said with a small kick of his hoof.

"I'm sorry, Constance." Tussle said with a bow of his head. The farmer stallion looked up at his friend and gave a small smile. He put a hoof on his shoulder and shook his head.

"Twas a big one, ain't it?" Tussle looked at him and gave a sleepy smile.

"Almost." The horse replied. Constance pat his friend's shoulder.

"No worries, pal. We almost 'ad it. We'll git it next time." The two dusted themselves off before looking at the colt. "Thanks fer the help, Pepper. Twas real nice seein' ya again." The colt said nothing as the two trotted up from the pier and heading over to a small farm house in the distance. The colt sighed. He felt like he had accomplished nothing. He wanted these two to be happy. They came so close to catching a fish, only to have it slip from them. They were disappointed, indeed. But why were they still smiling? He wouldn't have been happy if he let such a catch go away. So why did they? He found himself looking back out the river. Why the sacrifice? The colt suddenly looked shocked.

Across the river, looking down into the water of her own reflection was the most elegant and beautiful alicorn he has seen. And he knew exactly who this was. The alicorn rose her head up from the water and looked at him with kind eyes. She gave a smile and a nod before turning and walking into the tall grass.

"W-wait!" The young colt called out. But he found himself unable to move. In fact, everything seemed to shimmer around him. He rose into the air and his eyes opened to the familiar blank ceiling of his room.

~~~oooOOOooo~~~

The young colt Ghost Pepper rose from his slumber, feeling the grogginess of his restless dream. He had dreamed about that one moment with the two. The moment that he had deemed a time when they defined their friendship. But... were they really friends in the end? Why would he risk himself like that and not have his friend come back for him? The farmer had enough evidence, but why the cloak and dagger in the mix? The birds of spring chirped, rousing him more from his slumber. The warm beams of the Princess's sun coursed through his body. A beautiful day indeed.

Pepper slipped out of his bed and out into the hallway. The many doors that lined it all the way to the grandfather clock were a mix of open and unopened. The unopened being the vacant rooms of those that have finally found a family. As he walked down the hall, passing the doors, he could make out little drawings of ponies on the walls. Perhaps, Pallet was causing more trouble again by not having enough paper. Arriving at the clock, he looked to see the time. Almost half the day. The sudden realization made him panic. He had slept for half a day. He looked over to his right, seeing a balcony window. He quickly peered from it and saw the children playing on the swings, the seesaws and slides, laughing and screaming. A group of the kids were playing hopscotch while another were playing tag.

Pepper turned and was about to gallop down to go meet them, when he had bumped into a middle aged rustic unicorn mare with a grey mane in a bun look down at him through half lensed spectacles.

"Ghost Pepper. I was wondering where you have gone off too." the mare looked at him with tired eyes. Mother Wisp must have not gotten any sleep either. But that is the case when you are practically the nanny of an orphanage of about twenty. Give or take. Ghost Pepper sighed.

"Yes ma'am. I'm sorry to have worried you." Mother Wisp sighed and gave a small smile.

"It is quit alright, dear. From the looks of it, you have stayed up all night as well." Ghost Pepper nodded quietly, unsure of how to respond to her. Mother Wisp then looked out the balcony window. "I'm afraid you are going to have to wait a little for lunch. But you are welcome to do something else in the meantime." The colt looked up at the tired mare with a questioning brow. The mare's horn glowed and from down the hall, a mop and a pale hovered over from the closet. Ghost Pepper frowned slightly as he took the mop and pale in his hooves.

"Cleaning again? Can't I go outside?" Pepper protested. Mother Wisp smiled.

"Recess is almost over. In fact, I was about to call everyone in before looking for you." She pat the colt on the head softly before turning. "Just clean the halls and when you are done, come down to the lunch room. I'll have a meal waiting for you." As the mare turned, Ghost Pepper snorted and looked at the utensils.

'Just what I wanted to do today. Nothing but good ol' spring cleaning.' he thought with a groan.

~~~~***~~~~

Cleaning the hall was tiresome. Ghost Pepper sighed tiredly as he finally scrubbed the last of the splintered wood floor. The colt wiped his brow before looking over his work. Sparkling like it did yesterday. Another thought came to him. Perhaps he has cleaned these halls and rooms many a times. Ever since Janitor Weiss left to go on a family outing and decided never to show up, they were without a janitor for a month. Ghost Pepper remembers the time when Mother Wisp was suddenly distraught about the janitor. He watched as she went to the door and two snow white stallions in brilliant golden armor sadly told Mother Wisp the news. After the confrontation, Ghost Pepper watched from the hall as Mother Wisp quietly and tiredly sat at her desk, pondering what she had just heard. As much as he was curious about it, he didn't dare ask. Ghost Pepper knew better.

When two royal guards paid a visit to an orphanage and no princess, the news would not be a happy one. And for a month, the halls remained quiet, as the noises of the janitor's hums that had once rang out through the halls while the children slept was but a faint memory. Ghost Pepper thought it odd to have Mother Wisp mourn over the missing janitor. Not once have the two really communicated other than Mother Wisp correcting the janitor on a missing spot or stain. And yet, Mother Wisp wept for him. The next day after the month had passed, Mother Wisp began an activity with the children during free period.

"You all will be doing simple cleaning today." She had said. "To those that do a good job will receive a reward. And if the whole group does well, then you all get extra recess time." This was a big bargain for the children. Never had Ghost Pepper seen the kids so energetic to get things done. Even Pallet mustered up his pride and cleaned his own handiwork on the outside of the orphanage. When the kids were done, they gathered in front of the orphanage while Mother Wisp and a handsome grey earth pony with a dark mane, who happens to be the grounds keeper for the gardens out back and in the front, looked on at them. He dusted his suite and adjusted his desperado hat before looking at Mother Wisp who had cleared her throat.

"Excellent work, my dears. I must say, how impressed I am to have such hard workers. But I think one of you has done an even better job that has given you all extra recess time." Her look fell upon the young pale blue pegasus. Ghost Pepper felt the eyes of the children look at him, making him uncertain of how to respond. "For superior and outstanding motivation for cleanliness, I here by claim Ghost Pepper as the new activity monitor for the day." To have such a title was a gift. And Ghost Pepper again felt uncertain how to respond. The looks of confusion from the kids turned into disappointment.

"But Mother Wisp, Pepper hasn't really done anything!" One of the kids called out. Mother Wisp arched a brow at the young unicorn filly.

"Oh? Then what has he not done?" Ghost Pepper narrowed his eyes at the filly. The grape colored hide and plum straight mane with cherry colored eyes. This filly has been nothing more than a thorn in his side. Ever since that incident with her stuffed bear. Mother Wisp looked at her with a kind smile, making the filly lessen her posture a little.

"H-he just stood there while the rest of us worked! I saw him!" she looked at the chocolate coated and caramel maned earth colt. "You saw it too, didn't you?" The colt was about to speak when the child next to Ghost Pepper spoke up.

"What Merriweather says is true!" The filly next to him, a snow white filly with a blond mane and piercing blue eyes. She looked him in the eyes, seeing his own gold colored eyes staring back at him. "I saw him relaxing on the bed, letting Pallet do his own job. Isn't that right, Pallet?" They looked to a slender earth pony colt. His artist beret and yellow scarf donned on his cream hide and brown mane. He gave her a questioning brow, making the filly next to Ghost Pepper give the young artist another look. Pallet looked back to Mother Wisp and gave a quick nod. The middle aged mare looked at the young colts and fillies, seeing the agreeing looks.

Ghost Pepper groaned quietly. 'Of course they would take her word for it.' he thought. Everypony thinks Alabaster is a princess. Seeing as how she maintained a leader like personality and a strong sense of justice and her charming good looks made her the perfect candidate. At least in the orphanage. It's a wonder why a meek and shy filly like Merriweather to speak freely of her own mind. 'Because Alabaster told her too.' the colt reminded himself. Mother Wisp looked sternly at him now, making him shrink back.

"Well then, I guess we can't have a activity monitor who takes advantage of his playmates. I'm sorry, Ghost Pepper. But due to the recent events that had transpired, I must revoke the title and give it to Merriweather." The grape colored filly gapped at the sudden change. She looked to Alabaster, who gave her a kind smile in return. She then turned that smile into a mischievous one at him. Ghost Pepper narrowed his eyes at her, imagining a passing carriage to not see her in its' wake. The children congratulated the meek filly, who was baffled by the sudden surrounding of her playmates. All except for Ghost Pepper. He kicked a small pebble to the side before turning and quietly walking into the orphanage.

Mother Wisp sighed tiredly.

"I worry about that colt." she addressed to the grounds keeper. The handsome stallion tipped his hat.

"Too bad for the kid. Had high hopes for him." he said nonchalant. Mother Wisp turned to him.

"Well, you better get ready to supervise the child, Funnel." The stallion nodded and looked at the cheering children.

"I'll make sure he works to the bone."

That day made Ghost Pepper dread to ever actually take up the responsibilities of his slacking playmates. He had enjoyed helping others. Always had the sense too. But that day changed his mind about the ordeal. He eventually grew quiet and alone. Mother Wisp has taken notice of the sudden change in behavior and had confronted him about it.

"I just don't feel like it." he would always reply. Not having to get the true reason out of him made Mother Wisp determined to dig out the truth. So, she had always found the time to passively tell him to clean the rooms and halls everyday until he confessed. She even got smart about it only recently, making him have no choice in the matter. Exploiting his passion to dream and jot down ideas made it all the conflicted worth while. As much spite he has for the chore, it had given him plenty of time to think. And an idea had come to mind.

"Maybe that is what I will try." he told himself as he placed the pale and mop in the closet before trotting to the lunch room.

Author's Note:

I'm attempting something different then my usual writing antics. Despite being an action packed dark humor type of person, I also like to enjoy the simple things in life. I have also watched a movie a long time ago that gave me the inspiration to make this. And also some dreams I have had when I was a kid.

Also, this is probably going to be a less typed out story as I am unsure of how it will play out, so short chapters for now.


Update:
Yikes. Just noticed my mistakes. I went back and corrected them. Sorry for the confusion.