• Published 22nd Feb 2017
  • 14,864 Views, 95 Comments

Eyes Open - Foals Errand



Twilight has teleported. She won't let anypony do so again

  • ...
22
 95
 14,864

Never Shut

I glanced between the bloody equations on the wall and the pile of corpses behind me. I closed my eyes tightly as my stomach once more growled at me. Urging me once more to sate my hunger. It wouldn’t take much… my predecessors had created the knives necessary to take the flesh I needed to survive, if only for a few more days. I shook my head. I was running out of predecessors to eat, and the idea of cutting into the bodies of my beloved friends… or worse, Spike’s?

I swallowed the saliva, hoping that it would help. It didn’t. I only tasted the metallic bits of flesh that were stuck between my teeth. I’d almost kill for a simple piece of bread… maybe some water, even.

I shook my head and picked up the knife in my mouth. It had taken a full day, but I understood that magic was no longer possible. At least I had no reason to fear an infection. I brought my head down about to cut a chunk of flesh from a Twilight when I stopped turning around my eyes wide and the knife falling from my mouth. That familiar tingle. The one I prayed to never feel again. “No! No Twilight why? Why!” My ears pinned back. All that work to save her and the foalish mare had teleported!

I didn’t know if I could watch again. “She knows what happens…what is she thinking!” I forced my eyes open.

A sandwich… a sandwich wrapped in paper, an apple. A beautiful red ripe apple and a bottle of water. My mouth filled with saliva as I stared at the small meal, barely noticing as the copy was sent to its destination. Slowly, I walked closer, trembling. “Have I gone mad? Is this how my sanity finally leaves me, in the form of a simple meal?” I licked my lips and sat down. “I don’t care… sanity or no, I can’t turn from this!” I unwrapped the sandwich. My favorite Daisy with mayo and tomato…

Then I stopped. The paper wrapping around the sandwich wasn’t blank.

Twilight, I’ve been to see Princess Celestia and Luna. They were horrified by what I told them; Luna looked a bit ill. But we have all sworn never to teleport again. Twilight.

I closed my eyes to clear the tears that were filling my eyes as they streamed down my cheeks. I returned to the paper. There were a bunch of equations I would need to add to my own. Of course Twilight had memorized what was on the wall.

I pray this food has reached you, my former student, though we have no way to know for certain. Even so, we will continue sending it. Twilight Sparkle, stay strong. We will save you. Celestia.

The paper dropped to the floor as I bowed my head, tears streaming from my eyes. “...Yes, I promise, Princess. I’ll stay strong…” After a few moments of sobbing, I swallowed hard and lifted the sandwich, taking a big bite.

Flavor exploded into my mouth. It was amazing; after so long of eating pony flesh and drinking only blood, I had forgotten what food tasted like. Real food. I finished the sandwich in record time, and my tongue licked up the remaining crumbs that were stuck to my muzzle. I opened the lid to the water bottle and brought it to my lips. The sweet taste of water filled my mouth and slowly flowed down my throat. I forced myself to stop. I wanted to savor it.

I licked my lips and considered the apple. My hunger was sated. If I got hungry again later I would really enjoy that apple. I trembled and looked back at the note. “Princess Celestia said they’d send more food… I have to trust her, I have to stay strong and to do that I need to eat. Keep my mind working, thinking, I need to stay sane.” I grabbed the apple in my hooves and took a large bite. My eyes rolled back, and the juice dribbled down my chin. If I closed my eyes, I could almost imagine I was at Sweet Apple Acres again, surrounded by my living friends, and not their bloated corpses and bones…


It had been a week since my first meal arrived. At first, I was ashamed at how fast I ate it, worried that it was a one time occurrence. Luckily, I found out that I was wrong when a bowl of hot soup arrived in a lidded container along with a book. A note in the book told me how their research was coming, and to expect more small things. I looked up from the book I was reading as the air tingled. I frowned; it wasn’t time for a meal…

My eyes widened as Twilight appeared. “No!” Quickly, I turned to where the new Twilight was being created to see…

Nothing.

“W-what?” My ears pinned back as I felt a hoof on my shoulder. I looked up into my own eyes a brilliant smile on our face.

“We figured it out, Twilight. We fixed the spell! Teleportation is safe now! The old form has been outlawed.” She glanced over at the little spot I had made for myself as far from the corpses as I could. The blankets and books she had sent me I had formed into a nest. It was my safe spot.

“I’m so glad everything got to you… Celestia was worried we’d figure it out too late but, I-I knew I could save you Twilight. I had to, after you saved me.” She shook her head and beamed at me. “Come on, it’s time to come home. Celestia has a medical team on standby, and I’m sure you’d love a bath!”

“A bath…” I closed my eyes and laid my head against Twilight’s chest, hearing her heartbeat. I hadn’t even dreamed of a bath in so long…

“Yes, a nice soaky bath, once the doctors say it’s alright. You’ll be staying at the palace until you're ready to come home. Luna is ready to help with any nightmares you have and anything you… may have been forced to do here.” Her voice was soft but I understood what she meant. Celestia wanted to keep an eye on me until she was sure of my sanity. I didn’t mind… after all of this

“Will I be in any trouble?” I couldn’t help but ask. I hadn’t had to kill anypony. Not like my predecessors, but I had become a cannibal…

Twilight lifted my head to look into my eyes before nuzzling my bloodstained cheek. “No… nothing you have done here was your choice. You survived…th-they were all already dead. But you made it. You survived.” She pulled back and wrapped a wing around me, holding my forehoof firmly with hers, as if she was afraid I would slip from her grasp. I clung back just as hard, closing my eyes.

“You survived, Twilight, and now…let’s go home.” Her horn lit up and we vanished from the room that I thought would become my tomb.

I was going home….

Comments ( 95 )

short but good closure

Yay for happy endings... although I now fully expect someone else to write another fan sequel depicting Trapped!Twilight's recovering and adjustment.... lol.

hmm. seems like it was written as a fix-fic for Blinked. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Well, this provides a happy ending in contrast to another one, and is written better(not surprised here). What can I say? Simply magnificent, darling :raritywink:

On that note, I can't help but agree with 7969872 that we need a fan sequel to a fan sequel to a fan sequel, at the very least just for the heck of it :rainbowlaugh: I honestly would have gone for it, but meh. I suck.

UPD: forgot the important part(underlined).

7969891
More an alt history version.

7969872
Would not be surprised. If this is well liked enough I might even do it!

Now there is going to be two Twilights! The Twilights have been doubled! :trollestia:

On a more serious note, I am happy to see a happy ending to this story.

7969895
My thanks. And I may just do that. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

7969903
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for happy endings.

7969906 That would be delightful, too. I guess I'll have to keep you on my radar, then :raritywink:

i don't think this is a very good story. sorry :L. downvoted.

i didnt understand what was going on.

Comment posted by Try Hard deleted Feb 22nd, 2017

7969917 Read the first two stories in the chain to understand.

7969943

i dont think this is truth. good storys dont need context. sorry.

7969903
Indeed when Twilight is well enough Pinkie will be throwing her the biggest of welcome home parties!

Not really my cup of tea, but I'm not a huge fan of happy endings. Especially not in horror stories, which this should certainly qualify as given its predecessors. That being said, it's pretty well written for what it is. Just not my favorite story in what's already not my favorite series.

7969946 Have you never heard of a sequel?

7969957

i have but you should know how to make it easy for new people to read!

Sk1Tz #21 · Feb 22nd, 2017 · · 18 ·

This fic doesn't represent at all the atmosphere that Blink and Blinking gave off. Personally I find this fic to be an insult towards the original content it's based on, with it's plain, dull "happy" ending. A story like Blink shouldn't have such an outright conclusion like this one, nor like Blinked by Dream Seeker. Blink's biggest strength was getting it's readers to guess and question the who's, what's, where's, why's, and how's. This bashes that entire concept by giving us an unsatisfactory answer to the main plot.

In other word's, like Blinked (But without me going into a huge, incomprehensible rant), this fic sucked the wonder out of the original, and with that, I'll leave my dislike and go.

EDIT: Also wanted to add another huge glaring problem with this fic. The timing of it being published. Two sequels have been published under a month, giving barely any breathing room for the audience to take in the newly added lore. Making another sequel will basically kill off Blink's audience, then you'll get a FoE effect and have everybody discrediting Blink fics as nothing more but a waste of time.

I'm working, I'm working....

7970011 In all honesty, the original story had no need of sequels to begin with. It was a nicely self-contained bit of horror. Not that I'm going to complain about a happy ending, 'cause I like a happy ending. :rainbowlaugh:

I prefer it to the other ending I've read. But it still feels kinda rushed.

Better but doesn't quite feel like it has the grandeur that the other stories have.

Enjoyed it tho :)

7970444 That is very true. Blink itself would've made a grand standalone fic. But honestly though, Blinking made the overall story behind Blink more interesting. While Blink is good on it's own, I can fully embrace supporting fics such as Blinking to help add to the story.

Huh. I had thought that the last one was the last, but this is nice!

th-they were all already dead.

I would have loved for Trapped Twilight to privately think 'well, not all of them' at that moment, but keep it a secret from Rescuing Twilight. :rainbowkiss:

7970119 in case you weren't paying attention they kinda went over that in the story.

A nice alternative to 'Blinked' with a happier outcome.

garfan #30 · Feb 23rd, 2017 · · 17 ·

7969952 unhappy endings are an insult to fiction. You want sad, there's a virtually limitless amout of factual accounts you can read

Thinking about writing my own.... fortunately, grimdark is my specialty. Now to actually work up the motivation to write...

I didn't actually read any of the prequels because of the horror tag. While they're on my RiL list, I wasn't planning on reading them anytime soon. And I'm still not planning to, even after this. But this was amazing with so little words. I liked it. :twilightsmile: A happy ending to, well, I'm not sure. But definitely not a happy prequel... Gets a fave from me. And maybe I'll end up reading Blink and Blinked a bit earlier now... :trixieshiftright:

7970796 I'd disagree. Read Animal Farm or 1984. Hell, read good horror story. Happy endings aren't everything. Still, it's a matter of personal preference.

7970011
I couldn't agree with you more. Again, just like Dream Seeker's take on this, the ending was unsatisfactory and felt a little rushed. In fact, I am starting to think we should just leave the two stories as they are. Blink and Blinking, with an unknown conclusion to keep us guessing until the author of Blink decides to end it once and for all. It was his story to begin with...

I like it, there is a definite conclusion and a good feeling in my chest when I got to the end of this piece. Although, if there is a sequel I wonder what it would contain.

What 7970760 said, though it still "suffers" (and I feel this is too strong a word, but can't think of a better one) from some of the shortcomings of Blinked. My biggest complaint is the brevity, and while you certainly do a better job of setting up the scene, I feel it could still be expanded on a bit more.

7969946 Is both right and wrong. In short stories (or any story, really), context is everything, but at the same time I feel a short story written with the intent of being a short story shouldn't rely on any predecessors to set the stage for them, being able to stand on their own instead. Blinking did an excellent job of setting the stage and framing the context of Blink without being a complete rehash. In contrast, Eyes Open and Blinked both just jump right into the narrative without taking any time to explain what is happening or why. As a result, they both come across more as rushed wish-fulfillment and less the homage tribute successors they were intended to be... :applejackunsure:

Just some friendly C&C.

Still fun to read though. :twilightsmile:

Hmm...I wish it was a bit longer, this was a pretty quick trip to a happy end. But I am glad to see something happy come out of this story considering how dark the others were. :pinkiehappy:

I wouldn't say it is a conclusive happy ending yet. Not until both appear again in Equestria proper alive and well. They teleported but it didn't assure they teleported where they should go.

mmmm i dont wanna say it felt half-assed but i kinda got it as "something something happy ending hooray!" feel

An excellent ending to the trilogy. I love it!

Good story, but seems a bit too... wishy-washy. Like, every single little thing was wrapped up in a nice tiny package. I'd say it needed to be longer, or for the rescue attempt to involve a bit of danger, or maybe teleporting was still deadly and they can't fix it, but that would all demand more writing. I refuse to tell an author they have to write MORE.

Still, a nice wrap-up to a horrific tale. Good job.

This has been a short but amazing ride. It went by so fast that I almost wish someone would write a "Rehab" sequel or something similar.
Kudos for the soft ending, while Blinked was a good read I'm glad someone did a more "Feel-Good" version.

Looking to more from you (and currently browsing your stories)...
Shade E. Midnight

Little did they know that new Twilight had just used the old teleport spell... Anyway this was a nice follow up. I do wish someone did a story of New Twilight appearing back in the real world and telling people about it

While this still suffers from several of the mistakes I made in my own story, overall I'd say you did a pretty good job with this! Nice work :twilightsmile:

an1979 #46 · Feb 23rd, 2017 · · 2 ·

Add then she waked up from her feverish dream.
Nothing changed.
She still was surrounded by a mountain of corpses.
No blankets, no food, no hope only death.
:trollestia:

You are all welcome.
Have a nice day.

Of course now that Celestia and Luna know about what is really going on, ad Twilight has a spell to safely take them into that pocket universe I have to wonder how long it will be until one of the Sister's goes to see where their teleported selfs ended up.

I love that you decided to (and try to) give it an alternate ending yourself! This one is definitely far more uplifting, but like a couple others said, it seems a bit hurried along as well. Not so much of "rushed" but simply like "Okay kids, we gotta go, let's go, we need to get out of here" kind of hurried along.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely love that you've opted for giving your hand a try, and I'm presently headcanoning PARALLEL UNIVERSES so everything's 'canon'! \o/ (Makes it more interesting to me. That and I've not been awake for very long.)

Another nice episode in the ongoing teleportation saga. Thanks for writing this.

Spacecowboy
Moderator

Okay, we get it, the story made a fad, a bunch of spinoffs... can we please stop now?

PS heya Foals.

Login or register to comment