• Published 21st Feb 2017
  • 607 Views, 6 Comments

Flying Without Wings - DerpiusHoovicus2



When Rainbow Dash is off for the day, she decides to hang out with Applejack.

  • ...
 6
 607

Another Day in the Fields

Rainbow Dash woke up around 9:30. Because she didn’t have weather patrol today, she set her alarm later. It was set for 8:00 but who wakes up at the proper time on an off day?

As Rainbow slithered out of bed, she wondered why she couldn’t get back to sleep. When she finally faced the truth that she had no clue, she just grumbled in annoyance. ‘I wonder what the girls are doing.’ Rainbow thought ‘Pinkie is probably, wired on sugar already. I would bet she was making a cake for some future event about now.’ Rainbow chuckled at herself. It was true however. That was what Pinkie was doing. ‘Twi is most likely reading a book. Rarity is probably stressing over a teensy tiny detail on her morning robe or something similar. Fluttershy has her animals to tend to. But what is AJ doing?’ Rainbow rarely had a reason to visit Applejack, so she didn’t. Although curiosity is a reason isn’t it?

Rainbow was happy with this, and decided to head to Sweet Apple Acres.

*Meanwhile at Sweet Apple Acres*

Applejack was just finishing her morning routine. She had showered, eaten breakfast and brushed her teeth. All she had to do now was get to work. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. ‘Who is at the door at 9:30 in the mornin’?’ AJ pondered. “Ah'm comin’!” she shouted from the small closet where she stored her boots.

When Applejack opened the door, the last thing she expected was to see a rainbow mane and tail on a cerulean body. “Hiya AJ! I’m bored and was curious what you were doing today.” Rainbow said in a still morning coated voice.

“Ah was just about to get ta feedin’ the animals, then I was going ta go work in the field fer most a’ the day.”

“Cool, can I help?” Rainbow said in a more awake tone. This seemed to confuse Applejack. Rainbow was curious as to why. ‘Why does she look confused, I’m always glad to help a friend out.’ Rainbow did indeed usually help her friends, but usually she needed an incentive. This was just her offering to help. Something was up.

“Sure. Ah don’ see why not. But why are ya here in tha first place? At 9:30 in the mornin’ to boot. It’s mighty u strange of ya.” Applejack questioned. Rainbow was usually with Fluttershy or Twilight, so why was she here now?

“I rarely hang out with you, AJ. I thought it would be nice to chat and get some work done.” Rainbow said. Applejack didn’t look convinced. “If you don’t wanna that’s fine, I guess.” Rainbow murmured, shuffling her hooves.

“Well I ain't goin’ ta refuse help, but this is still mighty strange of you.” Applejack conceded. “Come on, we’ll start with tha pigs.” Rainbow was smiling now, as she trotted alongside her best bud.

“So, how have things been, AJ?” Rainbow asked to break the silence.

“It’s been pretty lonely round here ta be honest. What with Apple Bloom off doing whatever it is that girl does durin’ the day. Big Mac, the big oaf, don’t talk much so you can’t have a two sided conversation with ‘im. Ahm real glad you swung by RD. How ‘bout you? Whatcha been up to?” The farmer finished. Usually Applejack was pretty brief when she spoke, so Rainbow was slightly concerned.

“Well, yeah. About the same story as you I guess. It’s always so quiet around my house, I don’t have any real neighbors. My co-workers are a pain in the flank, because I maybe, possibly messed up a huge rain storm we had scheduled. I guess even the most awesome can buck things up too, huh?” Rainbow finished.

“Ah understand. I forgot to do an acre one day, and we were well behind schedule.” They were now at the pig pen and AJ was showing RD what to do. “So yore goin’ ta take this here bag, and pour it into the trough over there. Simple enough, even for you.” Applejack teased. Rainbow made a face and stuck her tongue out in return. She did as she was asked, and poured the food into the trough.

While Rainbow was taking care of the pigs, Applejack went over to take care of the chickens. What Applejack didn’t notice was Rainbow sneaking over to the hen house and hiding behind it. Applejack put the eggs in the incubator, and returned the bucket to the corner of the hen house. She stepped out and looked around for Rainbow. “Now where in tarnation could that girl ‘ave gone?”

Rainbow peeked down from the roof of the hen house and giggled softly. She jumped off the roof and tackled Applejack to the ground. “I’m right here AJ!” She shouted as they tumbled in the dirt. AJ was startled at first, but eventually just rolled with it. They were both smiling and laughing at Rainbow’s antics.

“Good one, Rainbow.” Applejack said smiling. “You mussed up mah mane though, It gets hard ta clean ya know!” She said nudging Rainbow with a hoof.

“Aw, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to dirty you your highness.” Rainbow mocked. And they both fell into another bout of laughter.

“Alraght, we should probably git back to work.” Applejack said ruining Rainbow’s fun. Rainbow expressed this by letting out a groan.

“Whatever, I’m going to go grab a drink though, you want something?” Rainbow asked.

“Just grab me a water, please and thanks. I Ah’ll be in the field just over yonder.” AJ replied. With a nod Rainbow zoomed off toward the barn. Then Applejack got to thinking. ‘I must be silly, but Rainbow seems extra happy here.’ She wouldn’t have been wrong. Rainbow was having a blast, hanging out with her best friend in equestria. She was curious as why they didn’t hang out mono a mono more often. They were both having a great time, and rainbow always loved making AJ smile.

‘She just has the best smile.’ Rainbow thought. ‘Ugh, that was really sappy, whatever just get the drinks.’ She did such, and was in her way to the field where Applejack was when she saw something. It was Applejack.

She was stunning. She was on her front hooves mid kick and the sun was just at the right angle to reflect off of her form. Her muscles were defined as she forced her hooves to the tree, when they connected everything shimmered for a moment as Applejack's hair flopped to the side. She flipped her hair back where it usually was in one beautiful motion. Rainbow just sat, mouth agape. ‘She is soaring. When I fly I’m in my element everything is in clear hi-definition, each beat of my wings is in graphic slow motion. This is her flying, flying without wings.’ Rainbow sat for a few more moments watching Applejack when she realized something. ‘AJ is pretty cute’

Rainbow regathered her thoughts and picked up the drinks and carried them over to Applejack. She calmly set the tray on the grass, and looked at Applejack. Applejack wiped a stream of sweat off of her head and grabbed the glass in her mouth and drank. Until she saw Rainbow watching her. She lifted her eyebrow. “Why are you lookin’ at me like that?”

Rainbow shook her head and blushed madly. “Huh? Wh- what do you mean? I- I wasn’t staring at you or anything.” Again Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“Thas not what ah asked sugarcube.” AJ said near mockingly.

“Oh, uh, hehe, so, uh funny story, that.” Rainbow stammered. “Alright, so i’m about to lay some really sappy stuff on you, that you have to promise not to tell anyone. Okay?” Applejack still had her eyebrows raised, but nodded anyway. “Alright. Hrrm. Okay, so we’ve known eachother for, like, ever right?” AJ nods “And we hang out a ton.” Again AJ nods. “I guess what I’m trying to say is, there is coolness in everything you do. When you smile, it’s absolutely breathtaking. Whenever you have been there for me when stuff goes wrong, you always know the right things to say. Even now, all you are doing is working, yet you leave me stunned. I’ve had a lot of time to think about this, and don’t freak out. I think I love you AJ. Urgh this is so uncool.” Applejack just sat for a moment, thinking.

“Wow, Rainbow. I didn’t think you had it in you.” Applejack said cautiously. “Now please know, this is a lot to take in for me, so could ya give me a second with mah thoughts?” Rainbow nods sadly.

‘Urgh! I’m such a featherbrain. Why did I think she would like me back? That was totally uncool of me.’ Rainbow swore. She sat there drinking her glass of water nervously when AJ responded finally.

“Y’know, ah think yer right. Ah’ve noticed you actin’ all flustered round me lately, and I have given it some thought as well. Rainbow Dash, Ah think I love you too.” AJ said. Rainbow did a few flips of joy. When she landed she pulled Applejack into a warm sweaty hug, AJ smelled like apples and sweat.

It was perfect.

Author's Note:

I got bored, and wrote a romance fic. I don't prefer AppleDash but whatever. Feedback is nice, I'm sure this is covered in errors but I don't feel like finding them myself. Thanks for reading! ~:derpyderp2:

Comments ( 6 )

So, at the beggining Dash woke up at 9 am, and she arrive at sweet apple acres at 8:30, then Aj asked why was she doing up at 8:00 am.
Did she travel back in time???

7966672
Hehe. Whoops, this is probably why I shouldn't use time in stories, because I suck at that kind of thing. Thanks for pointing this out (fixed). It's super appreciated. ~:derpyderp2:

This was great. Probably not reread-worthy but great nonetheless.

What holds it back are two things.

A. The lack of proof-reading. It would take a long time to find all the errors, so I'll just use the second paragraph as a model.

As Rainbow slithered out of bed, she wondered why she couldn’t get back to sleep. When she finally faced the truth that she had no clue, she just grumbled in annoyance. ‘I wonder what the girls are doing.’ Rainbow thought ‘Pinkie is probably, wired on sugar already. I would bet she was making a cake for some future event about now.’ Rainbow chuckled at herself. It was true however. That was what Pinkie was doing. ‘Twi is most likely reading a book. Rarity is probably stressing over a teensy tiny detail on her morning robe or something similar. Fluttershy has her animals to tend to. But what is AJ doing?’ Rainbow rarely had a reason to visit Applejack, so she didn’t. Although curiosity is a reason isn’t it?

Normally (and this is optional), thoughts are in double quotes and italicized.
Rainbow thought.* (not a comma because she has finished an entire sentence)
probably wired* (no reason for a comma)
I bet she is making* (oddly phrased in past tense)
chuckled to herself* (She wasn't laughing at herself now, was she?)
true, however* (words like however, meanwhile, and therefore should always be separated by a comma (at least as far as I've seen them used).
something.* (Again, this is an optional change, but RD just doesn't seem like the kind of character to be formal in her words (let alone her thoughts).

Hopefully some of these fixes can help you correct some more errors and become a better writer! You have definitely earned a follower.

7977809
Thanks! I'll make sure to work on rereading things, this was kinda just something I did when I was bored so I doubt it was all that great. I really need work on overusing commas. I'll go fix some stuff. Thanks for taking time to read this. ~:derpyderp2:

7979520
No problem!
Oh, I also forgot to mention the second way you could've made this better: rid it of the escalation. I'm fairly guilty of doing the same thing, but it just feels rushed when Applejack immediately loves Rainbow back. If you don't go into massive detail about it and/or space it out more, it loses impact and approaches the edge of the "Suspension of Disbelief," and that, my cute pegasus, is rocky ground.

7979730
I'll work on that. Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated. ~:derpyderp2:

Login or register to comment