• Published 18th Feb 2017
  • 1,848 Views, 19 Comments

Rest is not the end - GullibleCynic



Applejack wakes up after a long time.

  • ...
1
 19
 1,848

Chapter 1

Applejack stirred to consciousness, feeling a hard surface beneath her. She could feel her legs tense against her barrel as she squeezed her eyes more tightly shut. Her mind was clouded so she tried to focus, tried to remember the last thing she had been doing. She had just fallen asleep, she was sure of that, but she didn’t remember the bed being so hard.

She had been lying in bed surrounded by her foals and grand foals? Great grand foals? Crab Apple had wanted to send her to the hospital, but Applejack wouldn’t hear of it. She knew her end was coming and she wanted to have her remaining time be in the comfort of her own home. She had kept the farm running for more decades than many of them had years. Probably more of those years than was strictly healthy were spent in the orchard. Fluttershy had insisted that she slow down over the past few years. Applejack was looking forward to seeing her… friend, just a friend, again. All of her friends really. Well, Twilight was still here. And taking Crab Apple’s side!

Bah! While Ah draw breath Ah am still the head of this here farm. Ah’ll go only when Ah am darn well ready.

That couldn’t be right. She was just a little filly. Her body was all the wrong size, she felt much too big. But she knew she was a little filly and she had just had the best day ever. She had spent the day playing with with her new little sister and her big brother and Ma and Pa and even Granny some, which was great cause usually they’re all too busy. And then Ma and Pa had told her and Mac about this big important trip they had to go on and that when they got back things would be even better for the Apple family. Afterwards they would be able to play like today a lot more often. Hopefully when they got back Applejack could have another day like today. So she had just gone to bed hoping her parents would get back soon. It sounded like a very important trip…

NO! Every other part of her fractured memory cried out. She knew what was going to happen tomorrow. She had to stop them! Applejack gripped her head tight and clenched her teeth.

But it had happened a long time ago. Last night she had fallen asleep with her newborn daughter in her arms. Her husband had fainted. Lazy lout, should get back to plowing the fields, it’s what I keep him around for anyway. Applejack smirked at the thought. A moment later her smile fell and she moved her thoughts along.

Her friends were as reliable as ever. Rainbow had taken off from training the new Wonderbolts as soon as she had heard. Pinkie had mercifully kept the volume to an almost reasonable level, though that was probably due to the stink eye Nurse Redheart was giving her. Rarity was gushing about foal cloths, because of course she was. Twilight kept her baby care lecture to a minimum, though that may have been related to the giant bags under her eyes. Bet Spike had to drag her out of bed this morning. Fluttershy was a welcome respite from all the attention, she just sat quietly, giving Applejack comfort with her presence.

She smiled at the memory. Her first foal of many and Fluttershy would be a pillar of strength for years to come. But why was she so certain of that? Sure, she had always wanted a big family, but right now she was too young. Apple Bloom still needed raising, and, if last night’s encounter with Nightmare Moon was any indication, her life was going to be on the adventurous side for a while.
Of course she had known Rarity since they were fillies but not very well if she was being honest. And apparently she was. The rest had moved to Ponyville over the years. First was Pinkie, who was already Applejack’s friend, Pinkie was everyone’s friend. Next came Fluttershy. Applejack hadn't given her much mind at first, but when some of the farm animals got sick Fluttershy really came though. Fluttershy was followed soon after by Rainbow Dash. Funny how a featherbrained pegasus would end up being the best source of friendly rivalry over the years. It had been several years since Rainbow arrived and now there was this unicorn. Applejack didn’t know this Twilight Sparkle very well yet, but she had a good feeling. So long as she can learn how to relax a little. Ah wonder what the story with her little dragon friend is….

“Twi… is she alright? She’s been holding her head and making faces for a while now.”

“It’s a lot to take in Spike. She’ll need time to sort through her memories.”

Groggily Applejack cracked open her eyes only to be greeted to the sight of a hospital room, though the walls were covered in machines and readouts the likes of which she had never seen before. Slowly turning her head Applejack finally spotted the room’s other two occupants, one Alicorn and one Dragon, both purple.

"Easy now, Applejack," cooed Twilight.

“Twi- Twilight? Izzat you?” Applejack slurred.

“Where… where am Ah?”

“You’re in a hospital. I know you're probably confused but that will pass.”

Applejack took a deep breath and centered herself. Her strength returning Applejack lifted her head and fully took in her surroundings. “Twi, what happened?”

“Try and focus on your last set of memories, when you were in your bed and your family had come from all around. Do you remember that?”

Applejack nodded. “Darn toot’n. You and Crab Apple wanted to send me to Ponyville General. Ha! Looks like ya got your want after all.”

Twilight gave a sheepish smile. “Applejack, do you feel like an old mare on her deathbed?”

A blink. “Nah.” Another. “Was a bit tired and a bit weak. Still mighty confused, but other than that Ah feel fit as a fiddle.” A slight waver in her voice. “What happened?”

Twilight swallowed. “You died. You died Applejack, a long time ago.” A sniffle. “I’m sorry it took me so long to bring you back.”

“Ah died?”

A nod.

“And ya brought me back?”

“I had a lot of help.” She gestured at Spike. “But essentially, yes.”

A million questions fought for dominance. The victor was not one Applejack would have expected. “How?”

Twilight giddily clapped her hooves while Spike groaned. “Celestia said it wouldn't be possible without violating the laws of time and space.” A crooked grin like Applejack had never seen crossed Twilight’s face. “So I violated the laws of time and space.”

Applejack looked to Spike. “She alright there Spike?”

“Eh.” wobbling his claw “She’s been hanging out with Discord a bunch lately, picked up some of his sense of humor.” This earned him a scowl from Twilight

“Discord? That varmint got something to do with all of this?”

At this Twilight entered her much more familiar lecture mode. “Remember when Discord was first freed? He showed me a vision of the past. It took me a long time, but eventually I realized the implications. Luckily he is much more helpful these day. Mostly. Anyway, I eventually made a map of all of space and time. Originally it was even more difficult because I recorded every possible Everett Branch instead of just the subset that led to this particular present.”

Spike coughed. Conspicuously.

“Right, right. Then I recorded every moment of your life, down to the last quark. From there I was able to create a new body for you and your amalgamated memory! And that is how you are here.” Twilight nodded proudly to herself.

“Sounds a mite intrusive, sugarcube. You knowing every thought Ah’ve ever had. Ah’m not a perfect mare ya’ know.”

“Oh no! I’m not privy to the contents of your mind Applejack. The spells are mostly automated.”

“Okay, why all these different memories though? Seems like the last bunch would be the ones that really matter.”

“Try and focus on your last set of memories again, the ones when you were a great grandmother. Do you remember what sort of magic I was working on?”

“Memory something. All the others had passed on, ya didn’t want to forget ‘em. Ah thought it was sweet. Lil creepy, but sweet.”

“Hold on to that feeling AJ.” Spike snarked.

Twilight swatted him. “Anyway. Over the centuries we found the best way to maintain a coherent sense of self is to have, well, think of them as bookmarks. Important moments that don't fade away as easily, that you go back to periodically.”

“Centuries? How long was Ah… gone for?”

“Agelessness was invented less than three hundred years after you died Applejack. These days spans of time are appreciated differently.”

“That don’t answer my question Twi.”

Twilight sighed. “Please keep in mind, you are the first. I’m going to bring back all the others.”

“Ah was wondering about that. But go on, can’t dance around it forever.”

“Actually, since you are ageless now, we could…”

A stare.

“Sorry.” Breath in, and out. “Ten million years. More or less.”

“What about Equestria? My home?”

“The world is… different now. Very different. But it is also wonderful. It’ll take time but you won't be alone. I meant what I said, I’m bringing everyone back. I know Fluttershy will be happy to see you when she is back. And if there is anyone you don’t want to see, well you don't have to.”

“Ten million years. And Ah’m the first?”

“Well, you were the last to, um, pass. I figured you might want to be there when we bring back the rest.”

“Hmmm.”

“I suppose I should have started with the last being to die without a backup, but I guess I was just feeling a bit selfish.”

“What ‘bout Shining?”

“Um, Cadance is still, um, organizing things for his return. Princess of love you know.”

“Glad to hear the Princesses are still about too, makes me feel a mite better.”

“Oh yes! You should see what Luna is up to these days.”

“So what about Celestia?

“Oh, um. She’s back on the homeworld.”

“And we’re not? Whatever. Ah wouldn’t expect her to be here for little old me, but if this here is your first attempt, well, Ah’m surprised she don’t want to see the results.”

“That’s, ah, an ongoing project.”

“Twilight, ya didn’t turn evil now did ya?”

“What? No!”

“So Ah’m not going to find partially formed prototypes of me behind one of them doors.”

“Ew, no!”

“Okay, okay. So, did Celestia?”

“Did Celestia what?”

“Turn evil? Did ya have to banish her or something?”

“Why do you think someone turned evil?”

“No offence Twi, but all you Alicorns seem a tad unstable. Used to think Celestia was as steady as a rock, but thanks to you Ah got to know her a bit more. If’n it makes ya feel any better you’re only number two on the list o’ ponies most likely to go world conquering crazy.”

Twilight raised a hoof to object. Spike snickered. Twilight drooped her head and replied in a defeated voice. “Who is number one?”

“Rarity o’ course. That filly gets all bent outta shape when every little thing ain’t exactly as it’s supposed to be. And Celestia save anyone who gets in her way.”

Spike spoke up at this point. “Actually that sounds a lot like Twilight too AJ.”

“Ha! Tell me ‘bout it. That’s why all the Alicorns are on the list. Too much like Rarity.” Spike and Applejack enjoyed a laugh at the expense of their friends, both present and absent.

After grumbling for a moment Twilight joined them. “I missed you Applejack.”

Twilight reached over and embraced Applejack, a gesture Applejack gratefully returned. For the first time in ten million years the two friends hugged.

Eventually Applejack pulled back and looked Twilight in the eye. “Ya told me all about how ya did this and what it took to do it right. But you ya still ain't told me why. Ah’m glad ya had Spike and the Princesses. And even Discord Ah guess. But ya know we all just wanted ya to be happy. Ya could’ve moved on, made new friends, that would’ve sat alright with me.”

“I did make many new and wonderful friends and I hope to introduce you to all of them. As for why I didn’t just let you go?” Twilight turned to look into Applejack’s eyes. “Friends don’t let friends stay dead.”

Comments ( 19 )

Wow, I don't know what I expected but it wasn't this.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, on the contrary, I found it quite interesting. I wanted to know more of the world they were in but that can be left to my imagination.
Thank you for this.

That last line. That LAST LINE!

Absolutely brilliant work! I loved it! :twilightsmile:

Absolutely wonderful. Good pacing, working dialogue, exposition enough to build interest and support the main plot element. And a topic I have a certain fondness for besides. Its been said already, but you chose a good "wham line" to end on.

One little nitpick:

“So I violated the laws of time a space.”

Should be "and".

7984767

You're quite welcome. And again, well done.

“Friends don’t let friends stay dead Applejack.”

You should have just chopped out "Applejack", and let it end with the moral of the story.

7989066 I had debated that. I thought the flow was better with the name included, but I'm starting to go the other way now.

10 million years? And everyone is “ageless” now? So Twilight researched for millions of years to search and collect memories to resurrect her first true friends, starting with Applejack. So she can spend eternity -because 10 million years is certainly that in my opinion- with the other Element Bearers?

Talk about clingy... so even after so many eons the could never overcome her grief of losing her friends and just violated the rules of existence to get them back. That sounds like a very dark grey zone in the unwritten laws of creation. :ajsmug:

8212593
That is certainly one interpretation. Another is that it was no longer grief by that point but a sense of moral obligation. Life should be a choice, a choice those of the past lacked. Which is why she is bringing everyone back, not just her friends, they are just a convenient place to start.

Then again, it is somewhat ambiguous. What other ‘rules’ would a person with that mindset be willing to violate?

I hope it was at least thought provoking.

8212699
Yeah, it was. But Twilight seems to have no problem with playing “god and creator” and sees it as no problem at all, morally. Or to use Spike’s comment: “She hanged out to much with Discord in the last time”. :moustache: He, too, doesn’t care for rules, Twilight followed into his footsteps.

NO NEW PONY emoticons! I wanted a Luna emoji and we got Facebook instead! So sad. ^^

“Easy now Applejack.” Cooed Twilight.

Should be:

"Easy now, Applejack," cooed Twilight.

An interesting read and a nice detailed take on the concept of immortal Twilight bringing her friends back. The beginning was a little bit too much confusing for my taste with all the abrupt jumps between the memories and also a few slight changes from third to first person, but in overall, I still enjoyed the little glimpses through Applejack's eyes. Also, the ending is great. :ajsmug: Have an upvote!

Twilight giddily clapped her hooves while Spike groaned. “Celestia said it wouldn't be possible without violating the laws of time and space.” A crooked grin like Applejack had never seen crossed Twilight’s face. “So I violated the laws of time and space.”
Applejack looked to Spike. “She alright there Spike?”
“Eh.” wobbling his claw “She’s been hanging out with Discord a bunch lately, picked up some of his sense of humor.”

:trollestia:
Nice one-shot, good work.

.....not sure if creepy or sweet...or both...

I like this quite a lot.

10682592
Thank you! I wrote it a long time ago, but Im still pretty happy with it. Im glad you liked it too.

Login or register to comment