• Published 21st Feb 2017
  • 1,008 Views, 20 Comments

Settlers of Equestria - Taloon85



Our Sun is dying. A portal to the Unkown opens and the biggest migration of all time begins.

  • ...
1
 20
 1,008

Chapter 1 - “Is that Canterlot castle?”

Settlers of Equestria

Chapter 1 - “Is that Canterlot castle?”


Our Sun is dying. We can’t change this fact, but it happens far too early and quieter than any of us had thought.
A planetoid had hit the Sun and some unknown substance is slowly shutting down all fusion reactions.
Our Sun grows smaller, dimmer and colder everyday.

But there is hope in our literally darkest hours. A portal opened in the middle of the pacific ocean. After multiple test it was concluded that the portal was unstable, resetting its destination every time something passed through.

It was the first time that humanity worked together on one project. Even those who hate each other for centuries, work together to save mankind.
But it was clear that not all could be send to one new world. Resources, ethologie and let alone conflicts would arise problems on such small space. So it was decided to send out as many seeds as possible.

Massive self sustaining Settlertrains were constructed, containing food, building material and tools for 100.000 settler. Said settlers were put together from all around the world. Mainly because of genetical reasons.

While the trains were constructed under high pressure the settlers had to take a extensive psychological Test. Only this of similar mindsets could work together, without ruining everything in pointless fights over power, religion or different opinions.

Everyone was gone and only one last train remained on the slowly freezing earth. The last 100.000 Settlers were about to leave, when something unthinkable happened.

πππππππππππππππππππππππ Marcus Stone, Lead Scientist

The drone was on its way, still connected with the train via the communication cable. This method prevented that the portal changed its destination and the settler got recon beforehand. Sending of the trains into the unknown. Stupid politicians, trying to save money even in a situation like this.

“Dammit! Another hell”, called Jan, the soldier, from the survey consol. The main monitor on the small bridge showed a burning world. Flames, molten rock and the sensors showed a mainly carbon dioxide atmosphere.

“Let it fly”, said John, the ‘Leader’ of the train. Every train had a designated leader that would decide on everything for the first 5 years. Afterwards everyone decided, which government the small colony should have.

The video feed was cut off as the cable was cut loose. The portal changed its destination immediately, after the last bit of cable vanished into it. Only a different color showed that it had changed its destination and the color was no indicator what waited ahead of us. The crew in their Thermo-suits prepared another drone on the deck above us to lunch.

“Do I have to remind everyone that we only have two drones left? Furthermore time is running out. The temperature is dropping zero point three degrees per minute!”, I voiced my concern, “We should have taken this jungle one on our first try.”

“If you want to fight of ten meter big lizards, be my guest”, grunted Jan, “ But wait. You’re just a scientist, Marcus, you don’t know how to shoot.”

“Lead Scientist, please”, came my immediate response.

“Shut up will ya? My crew has installed the next drone” came a voice over the speakers. Only one was such a loudmouth, most likely chewing on a twig like always.

“Thank you, Roy”, answers John and continue to Jan, “ Start!”

The octocopter drone flow of, pulling the cable for communication behind itself. We wait for the signal from the other side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jonathan “John” Walker, Leader

This has to be it. After this we have only one drone left.

Roy came onto the bridge. “My boys can set up the last drone alone, but I hope they don’t have to. Come on, by Celestia's beard!”

Everyone, even this stuck up Marcus, grinned to that. Jan was the first to notice that all four of them were MLP:FIM Fans, Bronies to the core. And even if our personalities clashed from time to time, we worked perfectly together.

“I get first data. Atmosphere similar to ours. Only cleaner”, Marcus read out, “24 degrees celsius, sunlight is within parameters, a bit humid.”

“Video feed established”, called Jan and the snow on the main monitor got its first few green patches.

After the video was stable no one could say a word for a minute.

“Bloody hell! Get me a bottle o’ scotch, kick me twice in the balls and tell me A’m not dreaming”, murmured Roy, “Is that Canterlot castle?”

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Jan Schmidt, Lead Soldier

After the first shock and some wild discussions, everyone calmed down.

John got everything under control but was now presented with a dilemma.

“Do we go or do we risc our last try?”, asked John with mix between happy and stern.

“You know the rules! ‘By indicators of intelligent lifeforms is the connection to the drone to cut and retry.’”, I said.

“Jan… this is Equestria for Celestia's sake!”, Roy voiced his opinion rather loudly, “Besides who would actually punish us? There is no one left but us!”

“Think of the possibilities! Magic could be really possible over there”, said a giddy Marcus.

“Yes but what would change in their culture because of us. Besides maybe this is only a castle similar to Canterlot castle. We don’t have any proo...”, John was interrupted by a new timid voice that came over the microphones of the drone.

“Hallo. Um… what are you? And what is this big… portal, if you don’t mind me asking.”

Everyone stared at the screen to see Fluttershy hovering before the drone. Needless to say jaws hit the floors.

‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰ Roy Lennox, Lead Technician

“Hail her! What are ya waiting for?”, I asked while I still couldn’t believe my eyes. This was Fluttershy. In the flesh!

“We can’t just talk to her! As much as I want to. We have set rules for this kind of situations”, Jan argued back, looking over his shoulder. This hardass soldier was always a rule fanatic, always by the book. Even if said book lays outside on the Rig frozen and hard as stone by now.

“We don’t have time and enough resources for another time! If we cut this drone a perfect world will be lost and we don’t have a guarantee that the next one will be live friendly. And after this one we don’t have much choice to take what we can”, the egghead alias Marcus voiced his opinion with some obvious facts, “I will not take this risk!” First time I saw him slam his fist on one of his precious toys.

“Calm down everyone!”, called John, “Mindless arguing is not a solution. First, Marcus how much time do we have until the train can’t move because of the cold?”

“Four, maybe five hours. But we will be dead before that. The heating in her isn’t made to withstand such temperatures”, explained Marcus with a hopeful look.

“Jan, I know the rules. But you know the success rate on this portal. Only one of three portals resets are positive for a world capable of sustaining live. A compromise; one, we ask for permission to enter their land and set up a colony in their land under their rule. Second, all of us vote with our Com-Bands, if we want to go to Equestria. If one of this fails, we cut the line and search for another world, Sound good”, Marcus reasoned with Jan and after a short pause he finally nod.

“Finally! Then get going!”, I called and pointed at the screen, “By the way we don’t have to wait until someone can decide on their end. Royalty has arrived.”

All were a bit shocked to see the princesses Celestia, Luna and Twilight Sparkle on the monitor, closely inspecting the portal and the drone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jonathan “John” Walker, Leader

I wrote a short but meaningful text for the poll.

‘Settlers,
we have found a world that is ideal for us to settle, but it has a catch. This world, believe it or not, is the world of the show My little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
This means not only that this world is inhabited, it is inhabited by beings we thought were just fiction.
Normally, personal reasons aside, the rules would state that we have to cut the line immediately. But we only have one drone left and if the next world is unfriendly we have to take a chance afterwards.
We are in contact with the rulers of Equestria, the land behind the portal.
If they grant us permission to settle in their land we will submit to their rule.

I ask you now to give your voice, because I can’t make such a decision without you. I don’t have to tell you that our time is running out and the situation is desperate.

Jonathan Walker, Leader of Settlertrain ‘Last Stand’’

I push send and hope that all Settlers will make the right decision. After getting the poll on my own Com-Band, I immediately give my vote.

“This will take a few minutes. To the next point, is the speaker on the drone working?”, I ask into the small bridge.

“Yes I did run a check on every system while you wrote your little lett-”, answered Marcus but got interupted as the announcement that the poll already was complete rang through the room.

I couldn’t believe my eyes: “100% Yes. 0% No” And that after mere minutes.

I thought for a second and wrote a second poll.

‘Settler,
I would never have expected 100% Yes in such a short time. This got me thinking and I have to ask a second, much simpler question.
Are you fans of the series MLP:FIM?

Jonathan Walker, Leader of Settlertrain ‘Last Stand’’

This time I gave three options: No, Fan, Bronie/Pegasister.

Only after a few seconds, the other were as tense as I was, the answer arrived quicker than before. “0%No, 36% Fans, 64% Bronies/Pegasister”

“Welp, that settles then”, laughed Roy and Marcus gave his opinion too: “This can’t be a coincidence.”

I got over to Jan and laid my hand on his shoulder: “Thanks for the Yes vote.”

“You know that this polls tend to have a one percent failure quote?”, he answered with a weak smile. I nod, patted his shoulder once and directed my attention to the monitor, “Set to send.”

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Jan Schmidt, Lead Soldier

Somehow I know John was right but if we already abandoned rules now, what would happen later. I watched the screen and was amazed how many ponies had gathered around the portal till now. This could only mean that a settlement was nearby. Maybe even Ponyville, by the look of it.

“This is Jonathan Walker from the planet Earth. I speak on the behalf of 100.000 settler that are in search for a refuge of the immediate destruction of our world. We know who you are and we know of your land, Princess Celestia of Equestria. How we came to this information can be discussed later. Now I have an urgent question, because our time is running thin.
Can we settle in your land?
We will bring enough material to build housings, farmland and anything else needed for the beginning. We will submit to your rule and your judgment and we will offer our knowledge and technology to you.
If you refuse, we have still one last chance for another world to find but it is with a great risk of failure.
We will answer all question you have for us. Just speak directly to this drone.”

The ponies on the screen were baffled to say the least. Muffled talking and whispered arguing could be heard over the microphones, mainly from the Mane 6, Celestia and Luna.
It was Twilight that stepped forward and asked the first Questions.

“Hrmph, hallo? Am I doing this right?”, she asked and John answered with yes, encouraged her to speak freely, “Okay. First of all I would like to know you you are? how do you look? I assume like this… drone? Are you a metal based insectoid hive?”

That got actually a chuckle from Marcus and he asked, “May I?” John gave his clear and Marcus activated his microphone: “My name is Marcus Stone, I’m the Lead Scientist of this group. To answer your question. No this before you is just a machine, a device that let us see, hear and analyse basic environmental data. It is connected through the portal with our vehicle. Before you ask the portal changes it's destination if the connection is severed.”

“For your original question. We are humans. Bipedal, upright walking mammals. You can compare us to minotaures only that we have no hooves, horns or tails and a flatter face.”

Twilight was of course taking notes before she asked her next question: “If this drone is a machine, how does it work? I sense no magic coming from it.”

“From your question I presume that all of your technology runs on magic”, asked Marcus and Twilight answered with mostly, “Okay, we don’t have magic. Our technology runs on electricity and physical principles.”

Notes again. In the meantime Fluttershy trotted over and asked: “What is your diet?”

Marcus let go of the button: “Dammit! I hoped this wouldn't become an issue so quickly. What do I say?”

“The truth, of course”, answered John.

“Then let me talk to her”, Roy called from the back and came over to John's side.

‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰ Roy Lennox, Lead Technician

“This is John Lennox speaking, a’m the Lead Technician here. To answer your question miss Fluttershy, we are Omnivores. Fruits, vegetables and… animal products are our prefered meals”, I answered truthfully.

“You hesitated by a-animal products. Does this mean you eat.. m-meat?”, asked Fluttershy surprisingly forward.

“Yes”, I answered without a second thought. Marcus looked at me as if I was insane, but I continued: “But we have rations with us to last for at least a year, until our seeds have grown. The seeds are selected in such fashion that we could survive completely on vegan diet. But I won’t lie. Most will miss a more variant diet with meat and other animal products.”

This time Celestia herself chimed in: “I wouldn’t be concerned about this. It is true that Ponyville doesn’t have much visitors from other nations, but griffons, diamond dogs and occasionally minotaurs eat meat or fish. Eggs, milk and such are common even for us ponies. Pegasus ponies even need fish in their diet for their feathers and flight muscles. Some other ponies even have taste for fish, isn’t this right Twilight?”

“I told you that was a sandwich with meat she ate”, whispered Jan to Marcus, “even if it was fish based salami.”

“This is a relief, Princess Celestia”, said Roy, “But even so, we have to discuss with our people this topic further. I don’t think the area around the portal can handle 100.000 omnivores at once. It would be best if we stay on rations for this first year, but this is a topic for the future. Anymore questions?”

This time Rarity stepped forward and asked: “I don’t want to sound rude but how do you know so much about us, especially our names?”

This time Marcus answered: “We actually have a story telling your adventures in our world, that we thought were mere fiction. It is complicated but I personally think it's best explained through the multiverse theory.”

“You lost me darling”, laughed Rarity lightly and Twilight covered for her.

“I know of this theory. In theory there is an infinite numbers of possible parallel universes, some only with small changes others complete opposite to this world. This explains this portal and your existence, but not that you know about us through a story.”

Marcus grinned: “If there is an infinite number of possible parallel universes, the possibility that every story told, written or played exist in one of this parallel universes, is 100%.”

Twilight opened her mouth to argue against it, but hesitated and closed her mouth again. After some thinking she nodded and says: “That… is actually true. By infinite universes everything is possible. Even dreams, as bizarre as they can get, are somewhere reality.”

“Of course the possibility to actual get to exact this parallel universe you know from a book is almost impossible. We just got really, really, REALLY lucky”, said Marcus, giddy that finally someone, or somepony in this case, understood it right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jonathan “John” Walker, Leader

The question and answer game was continued for a few minutes more and as soon the question got to the point of personal preferences I had to cut in.

“Not to be rude Princess Celestia, but our time is slipping away. Our world is literally freezing to death and we have only two hours left. I have to ask you to consult with your closest and decide on our destiny. If you reject our plea we have to prepare the next drone and search for another world as fast as we can”, I said and know that I may sounded harsh, “I apologize for being this blunt, but 100.000 lives depend on my deciens.”

Celestia just nod and got with her sister and the Mane 6 a bit away. After about twenty minutes she came back with Twilight and her sister and announced in her royal canterlot voice:

“I hereby decree that the refugees from the planet Earth may settle on this plains west of Ponyville. They may rule over their settlement as they wish, as long this rule doesn’t harm or interrupted the life in Equestria. May our friendship prosper!”