• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 433 Views, 14 Comments

The Writer's Conundrum - Nugget



A Meta Story - What if our own stories could talk back to us?

  • ...
1
 14
 433

The Epilogue

One Week Later…

The next edition to Pen Name’s story had hit the local book shops in Canterlot. To his surprise, the update did a lot better than the previous content already published. Grinning, Pen knew he had a certain character to thank for their harsh, yet honest advice.

As he sat back on his seat at the front of his desk, Pen couldn’t help but think about his interesting, although annoying experience with his own character practically roasting him alive for the choices he made in his story. Although, a part of him admitted that he deserved what Applejack said while another side claimed it shouldn’t have mattered what she thought about the story as long as he had fun while writing it. This conflict erupted into a debate within his head.

Isn’t the point of writing supposed to be having fun with our imagination? Or should I be taking this seriously? I mean, the ponies do want quality content, right? Otherwise, would they just simply ignore it? Then again, some of them do like troll stories. Pen scratched his chin, pondering upon those questions.

He never understood troll stories and why they are constantly written. Absolutely nothing guided their plot's structure, thus they are usually their own free standing tale with the most obscene, weird, crazy, and far-fetched ideas. They are sometimes, without a doubt, stupendously insane with a side of ridiculousness. The only explanation Pen could come up with was maybe they did the same thing to the writer that he liked to do with his stories.

Pen liked to have fun with what he wrote since his own imagination sometimes gave him exciting ideas, motivating him to write them down to the best of his abilities. Yet, he also knew that when he began writing them down, not a single aspect about it needed to be completely ridiculous, unexplained, or just plain confusing. Thus, that was when the seriousness within his writing would kick in.

However, Pen sorta had a short attention span, with a patience to match. He wanted the story to be written down and finished as soon as it was started, yet Pen unfortunately knew that wasn’t ever going to be the case. Most of his stories took a lot of time to be completely written out before they are even sent through the editing process, to which that could sometimes take even longer than writing the novel itself.

The complete writing process constantly frustrated Pen until he finally asked himself, Then why am I even doing this in the first place when I could be spending my free time elsewhere?

He then stared blankly at the wall for moment until he moved his chair away from the desk. Getting down from the seat, he kept his blank expression as he walked over towards his door. Opening it up, Pen Name decided to not dwell inside his home anymore. Instead, he went outside to enjoy the beautiful day.

Then he remembered, Oh Celestia! I’m getting paid to do this! Crap!

Comments ( 5 )

Then again, some of them do like troll stories.

And that's how Twilight Sparkle vs. the Situational Multiverse happened!

He wanted the story to be written down and finished as soon as it was started, yet Pen unfortunately knew that wasn’t ever going to be the case.

For me, this statement was thought provoking.

I used to be like that, wanting the story to be finished before as soon as I started it. Now I thrive on the moment. I don't just want to write out a scene, I want to imagine how every action plays out in my head. It's actually a fun process to jot all the details down and then take some back out of the narrative that wouldn't normally be perceived in that particular scene. In this way a whole new dynamic opens up to the writer rather than glossing over a scene of potential interest to advance one's plot. It actually spins new ideas to intertwine with existing original ideas. :yay:

I know there is still a lot for me to learn in writing, and this is one of the things that I'm striving to achieve. :pinkiesmile:

7949408 I'm glad that my writing got you think about the topics address, to which that has been something that I have been improving on as well. To which, I'm starting adding more philosophy into my stores in order to get the audience to think some of the questions presented, thus leave a lasting effect on the reader.

Feeding the Machine is currently an example of such an attempt. Also, it needs some love as well. :twilightsheepish:

7950704

In addition to that, there's a lot more stuff I am working on to try to improve my narrative.

- Intertwining Theme and Plot
- Achieving a high command of sentence structure to avoid confusion.
- Broadening the scope of my comfort zone to include a wider range of genres and sub-genres

I am sure there is more that I must work at to improve my narrative, but those are some of the things that I am aware of at the moment.

I really have to think the Rage group for helping me see just what I can do to improve. :twilightsmile:

Haha! That last sentence is brilliant!

Login or register to comment