• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 2,692 Views, 255 Comments

For science - Book two - Znegil



The continuation of Stella's and Twilight's Story. We will take a look at Cadence's past and have some extra science as a bonus ;-)

  • ...
14
 255
 2,692

4 Rapid expansion

Twilight and Lyra entered the room again. "Did anything happen?", my marefriend asked.

I stepped aside so they were able to see the floating stick.

"Wow, so cool!", Lyra shouted out.

"Levitation without active magic? This will be the best scroll I have sent Celestia in ages." Twily was so excited and jumped up and down.

"Indeed, this is nothing I would have ever guessed. It will be interesting to see how long the effect lasts. I will do the same with a piece of metal to see if the effect differs, then we will call it a day and have dinner. Tomorrow we test it with fire."

...

Twilonium had the same effect on metal as it had on wood. After Lyra had left to go home, I brought the two pieces with me to the library so we could observe how long they kept on floating.

We sat on the dinner table when Celestia's answer arrived.

"Tomorrow afternoon would be fine, as always I'm looking forward to your visit.", Twilight read aloud.

"What did you tell her in your scroll?", I asked her.

"Just that we want to discuss our findings so far. I decided not to mention your findings today, so you can tell her in person and even show her... if they still float by the time we visit her."

"If not, I can dip them into Twilonium again." Twilight still smiled every time I mentioned the element. Well... possible element, it could be a chemical compound as well.

We had a pleasant dinner and nice cuddly night together.

...

The next morning both samples were still floating on the spot I had left them. I gave one of them a little push which made it move an inch but they both just kept on levitating.

After breakfast, Lyra arrived ready for action. "What are we doing today?", she asked.

"We're testing Twilonium reaction to fire this morning. Around noon we will take a train to Canterlot to investigate further about Indigo Nightshade. We should be back in Ponyville for dinner."

"Awesome! Sounds like we could do a lot of progress today."

I really loved her positive spirit. We walked over to the lab to set up the experiment while Twilight stayed in the library to read some books about portal magic and teleportation.

...

We ended up using only a fraction of the purple gas, while we stored the rest of it in the smaller room we were sitting right now. We watched our setup for the experiment in the main lab through a very small hole in the wall.

"Can you use your magic to move the burning candle into the gas?", I asked Lyra.

"Sure, what do you expect to happen?"

"I really have no idea. This stuff isn't like anything I have experienced before. That's the reason why we only use a fraction of it."

Her horn started to glow and slowly she moved the candle towards...

!!!!!!BOOOOMMMM!!!!!!
!!!!BOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!
!!!!!!BOOOOMMMM!!!!!!

I opened my eyes again. Lyra laid next to me and seemed to be unconscious. The wall before us was still intact and must have absorbed most of the forces directed to us. I shook her body. "Lyra! Lyra, wake up."

She moaned and slowly opened her eyes. "What happened?"

"The Twilonium exploded.", I explained. The rest of the sample rolled towards us, the shockwave had thrown it out of the shelf I had put it, the vessel was unharmed. I grabbed it from the ground and looked at it. "We're lucky it doesn't detonate from shocks or we would be dead right now. Are you unharmed?"

She carefully rose. "I'm fine, just a bit mixed up."

I stood up and walked to the door leading to the next room. It was half open and had a huge crack in it. When I entered the next room I was relieved to see the blast wall had worked as intended, it laid outside on its side. Most of the energy from the explosion had chosen the way of least resistance, thanks to that the main room was in better shape than I had expected, and there was no fire.

"Nothing that some money and the carpenter can't fix in a day or two.", I told Lyra who entered the room. "I don't want to imagine what would have happened without our safety precautions."

"STELLA!" Twilight ran towards our lab, deeply worried.

"Everything is fine!", I shouted. "We're unharmed."

I felt her relief. She hugged me hard once she reached me. "I was so worried.", she said sobbing.

"I'm sorry for that. Turns out Twilonium is highly explosive with fire. We only used a tiny amount and look what happened."

We went back to the library and tried to recover from the shock of almost dying. Lyra went off to Bon Bon's shop so she wouldn't worry when she heard from the explosion.

...

After an hour of kissing and cuddling in our bed, I went to the carpenter to tell him about the 'repairs' I needed for my lab. "It exploded, can you please fix it. I pay you twenty percent premium." The look on his face was priceless.

...

I had brought my floating test samples with me to show them Celestia and met up with the others at the train station right before noon.

"It took me ten minutes to convince Bon Bon it wasn't my fault the lab exploded. I had to promise her to be extra careful from now on.", explained my aquamarine colored lab assistant.

"Well you are known to be prone to accidents, almost as much as Derpy.", Twilight said smiling.

"At most half as much.", Lyra defended herself and made me worry.

"Look, the train is coming.", I told them to interrupt this unsettling conversation.

...

We sat in the wagon watching the scenery.

"Who will we meet first?", I asked my marefriend.

"Once we arrived, we will head right to the palace to meet Celestia. Cadence also has a room in the castle and we can visit her once our first meeting is over."

"This is gonna be interesting, I can't wait to see these papers of hers."