• Published 2nd Feb 2017
  • 5,091 Views, 892 Comments

Prickle Berry Tries to Be Careful - David Silver



Prickle didn't ask to become so strong, but it just happened. Now, as a growing foal, she's mightier than many grown stallions. What's an earth-filly to do? She tries her best to move forward and not draw attention to her supernatural strength.

  • ...
13
 892
 5,091

Chapters Next
1 - A Strong Start

Junebug, a pony with chartreuse fur and two-toned mane, gently brushed her daughter's mane. "All set?"

Prickle bobbed her head. "Yes, mom." She pointed back at a saddlebag that hung from her sides. "Lunch is packed, homework is done!"

June smiled. "I'll be at work, but you know how to find me."

Prickle brushed her mother's hoof away, or tried. The light contact sent June's hoof flying and her mother spun with the force. Prickle went a bright red. "I'm sorry!"

June set her hoof down and shook the dizziness from herself. "It's... alright. Just... be careful. You don't want the other foals to say unkind things."

They kissed and hugged, carefully, before they both took off to their daily tasks.

Prickle trotted along energetically until she saw a filly that made her nervous. She cringed and shied away, even if the filly had been nominally forgiven for her past misdeeds.

"Well look who we have here," came Diamond's voice. "The strongest filly in all of Ponyville."

Prickle felt heat growing in her cheeks. Was Diamond making fun of her again? "H-hello, Diamond."

Her constant companion, Silver Spoon, was there. "Don't look so down, Prickle. I hear there's an event today that you should do really well in."

Diamond bobbed her head in agreement. "The colts are having a pee wee weight lifting contest. I bet you'll win without even trying."

Prickle couldn't exactly tell if Diamond was goading her or not. "I'm not a colt," she decided to reply with.

Silver Spoon was on her, brushing on her side. "You have the strength of one--"

"Make that ten," corrected Diamond, coming from the other side. "You could beat them all, combined."

Prickle shook her head quickly, hopping away from the two. "I don' wanna! I'm happy being a regular filly."

Diamond pointed at her. "But... you're not."

Prickle bit her bottom lip before she ran away, fighting the tears she didn't want to be seen shedding.

Diamond shrugged softly. "It's true, isn't it?"

Silver Spoon shrugged in kind. "If I was that strong, I'd show it off to the whole world!"

Diamond laughed softly. "That isn't happening. Come on, let's get to class." The two trotted off together, comfortable with their lots in life.

Prickle bumped right into a pony, not watching where she was going. The poor pony she crashed into was sent right off their hooves and slid on the ground. "Sorry!" she squeaked, rushing to make sure they were alright.

Apple Bloom sat up, head spinning. "S'alright!" Her eyes focused and she smiled. "Oh, hey Prickle. Where'r ya off to in sucha rush? Are we late for class?"

Prickle smiled with relief, both to see Apple was alright, and didn't seem to hold their collision against her at all. "Not yet." She glanced away and back. "Is it true, are they doing a weight-lifting contest?"

"Yeah!" Apple Bloom bounced to her hooves, a bright smile on her face. "Cheerilee's gonna get all the foals together. There'll be a filly and a colt division. Ah'm gonna try mah best. Apples are known for bein' tough!" She flexed a foreleg, showing off her impressive lack of obvious muscles. "Ah'm gonna buck me some apples someday, ya know?"

Prickle perked an ear up. "Oh, it's not just for colts?"

"Who said that?" Apple Bloom cocked a brow. "Nah, just two divisions t' keep it fair. Yer gonna enter, right? Yer sure to win!"

Prickle felt heat gathering quickly. "I'm not sure I want to..."

"Hey!" Scootaloo was rapidly approaching the two. "Morning, Apple Bloom, Prickle Berry. What's up?"

Apple Bloom thrust a hoof at Prickle. "She ain't sure she wants t' do the weight lifting."

Scootaloo blinked softly. "Are you strong?"

"Is she strong?!" Apple Bloom laughed at the very question. "She just sent me flying and she wasn't even tryin'."

Scootaloo grinned. "Then you should totally try! You owe it to yourself to always try your best. If you have a talent, you should put it to work."

Apple Bloom blinked softly. "That was poignant."

Sweetie Belle suddenly popped up out of a bush and hopped free. "Have you been reading my dictionary again?"

It was too much for Prickle. "I'll see you all at school." She gave a quick smile and dashed off towards the relative safety of the classroom.

Cheerilee was there, greeting the students as they came in. She sat behind her desk, organizing some papers. "Good morning, Prickle Berry."

"Good Morning, Miss Cheerilee," she replied, giving the teacher a genuine smile. She liked Cheerilee and her class. She rarely had to be shamed for her strength while she was learning.

Leaving her saddlebags in the proper place, she moved for her desk and carefully slid into place. Soon the class was filled with many foals and colts, and Cheerilee launched into the day's lesson.

As fit her usual teaching style, she was going over the activity they were about to do. She gave advice and tips on how to lift things without straining one's back, how to get a good grip, and, "Most importantly, know your limit. If you can't pick something up, don't force it. It's alright to go to a lighter weight. Today, we'll be having a guest instructor."

"YEAH!" exclaimed the beefy pony as he burst through the door. "We're gonna practice our other brain!"

Cheerilee rolled her eyes. "I think they'll still be using the same brain, Bulk. Say hello to Bulk Biceps, children. He'll be helping you all have a good time."

"Hello Bulk Biceps," said the classroom together, even as Prickle glanced around nervously.

The class began to rise and follow the enthusiastic stallion, but Prickles detoured to Cheerilee's side. "Could I be excused, please?"

Cheerilee blinked down at her. "Are you feeling bad?" She reached a hoof to place on Prickle's forehead. "You don't feel warm..." Honed from years of practice, Cheerilee was not swift to accept casual claims of illness. "What's wrong?"

Prickle swallowed audibly. She knew her secret was safe from Cheerilee, so far. "I..." She had to think fast, and racked her brain for an answer. "I have to go help my mother!"

Cheerilee was less than impressed with the answer. "Your mother didn't tell me to excuse you for that, Prickle Berry. Please join the other students." She pointed out to the yard, then lightly swatted Prickle on the bottom. She walked along, letting Prickle go just a little ahead of her to keep an eye on the filly. "There's nothing to be scared of. This isn't a contest, promise."

Outside, there were all manners of weights, from the tiniest weighted ball to a full bench with a bar that had a collection of massive weights laying beside it. Bulk was cheering on Pipsqueak as he struggled to lift a weight that had '2 lb' written on it. When the colt finally hefted it over his head, the others clopped and cheered for him. Pipsqueak looked quite happy, until he tipped over with it and thumped to the ground.

"Yeah! You did good." Bulk gave him a pat on the back, then pointed to Snails. "Next!"

Cheerilee gathered up the fillies. "I'll be leading the rest of the class. We'll show those colts we mares can pull our weight, hmm?" She was smiling gently at the lot of them. "Let's start with the smaller weights." She pointed to the small barbells.

The Ponies grabbed them up with hoof and mouth and began playing with them. Prickle approached the smallest little ball that Pipsqueak had struggled with and make a great grunt of effort. She was faking, of course, and made all manner of heaving noises as she got it a few inches up. "Phew, that's hard," she declared, letting it come back to the ground.

A sudden crash brought all eyes to the bench, where Sweetie was flailing. The weight bar was down on her neck, and it was loaded with more weights than any pony should have even contemplated. Left as it was, it could hurt Sweetie terribly. It was a miracle that it hadn't already.

Prickle felt a wave of tingles go down her spine in utter dread. Someone had to rescue her, and Bulk Biceps was across the yard, helping Snips struggle with their own weights. Every second counted. Prickle didn't think, she ran. She galloped with all her might to the desperately wheezing unicorn.

She thrust out a hoof and scooped up the impressively weighted bar. Prickle lifted it up high over her head as if it were nothing. "Are you alright?!"

Sweetie fell off the bench, choking for air, crying, but breathing.

The other ponies in the area were too busy staring at Prickle and the titanic weight she bore without effort.

The adrenaline wore off and Prickle realized where she was, what she was doing, and why everypony was gaping at her. She dropped the weight like it was on fire. It crashed into the ground with such force that the weights sank into the earth on either side, only stopping when the bar itself hit the ground.

Her face was on fire. Her heart was beating violently in her chest. She was being stared at. She was a freak. Everypony hated her!

She burst into fresh tears and ran away, deaf to the shouts and cries of those behind her.

She kept running until she didn't hear anyone anymore. She ducked behind a building, curled in a ball, and wept. Her secret that she thought would be ruined by Diamond Tiara some day was instead ruined all by herself. She had messed it all up! She'd never be welcomed at school again!

"Prickle?" It was Scootaloo. "Prickle?" She turned the corner and found Prickle there. "Prickle! There you are!"

Prickle sat up quickly and wiped her eyes. "Here to c-chase me away?"

Scootaloo blinked dumbly. "What? No! I'm here to say thanks. You saved Sweetie! I mean, she shouldn't have taken that bet, but you saved her! You're a hero!"

A hero? "What?" Prickle flopped backwards, confused. "You're not... scared?"

"Scared?" Scootaloo tilted her head, confusion written on her face. "That was almost the awesomest thing I ever saw! I mean, you were no Rainbow Dash, but who can be besides her?" She flashed a big grin, excitement overtaking other emotions. "How'dja do that?!"

Prickle ventured the smallest smile. "I'm just... weird..."

"Weird in an awesome way!" gushed Scootaloo.

"Prickle!" came a distant calling voice.

"She's over here!" replied Scootaloo in a shout. "That's Apple Bloom, she wants to say thanks too. Sweetie's our best friend ever. We couldn't be the Cutie Mark Crusaders without her."

"Ya found her?" Apple Bloom galloped up to join the meeting. "Hey Prickle! Why'dja run off like that?"

There was no time to address her directly, as other ponies began to gather, including Cheerilee.

The teacher pushed past the others and reached out a hoof to Prickle. "Prickle Berry, please don't do that again. Are you alright?"

Prickle felt the tears building in her eyes again. They were all there, whispering about her freakish nature. "I'm sorry..."

"It's alright. Let's get back to school, alright?"

Prickle felt a moment of confusion. Did Cheerilee not know about what happened? "Is Sweetie Belle alright?"

Cheerilee nodded. "I'm told you're to thank for that. What weights was she playing with? The only bar in the area had far too many weights for any foal to lift."

She hadn't heard! Prickle jumped for the chance. "I threw the bar away. I'm sorry!"

Cheerilee smiled gently. "We'll gather all the equipment up, but please, be careful. You could hurt somepony if you throw things.

The teacher led all the foals away. As they returned to the schoolyard, Scootaloo moved in close to Prickle. "You fibbed."

Prickle had, but there was one excuse available. "If she heard how many weights Sweetie Belle was playing with, she'd get in big trouble."

Apple Bloom's eyes widened. "Good thinkin'! Thanks again."

Author's Note:

Say hello to Prickle Berry, known in the fandom also as Lily Longsocks. She has great power, but is in no hurry to show it off. She may not always have that choice. Join us as we watch her life and adventures. Some things will be small, some things may be huge. I plan on this being an episodic exploration of her life and exploits.

Done for a loyal patron!

Have your own story written on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

Chapters Next