• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,424 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,424

Chapter 16


Smiling, I crossed the library and gave the alicorn a quick nuzzle as soon as she appeared. “Luna.”

“My Page,” she answered with a smile, nuzzling back before stealing a quick kiss. “We got quite a fright when your messenger appeared.”

I smiled up at her as I sat down, “Which one?”

“The changeling, Amber,” Luna clarified as she settled down next to me. “Rainbow Dash arrived only moments later to cancel the warning.”

“I thought it was best to send the warning, just in case. Something was able to remove ponies' cutie marks. Imagine if that happened to you or your sister?” I asked with a shiver. “Best be safe about it.”

Luna nodded and nuzzled at my ear, “You should have sent Rainbow Dash with it, not Amber. Her task was to keep you safe, not to run and warn. Rainbow Dash told us everything that happened.”

I folded my ears against my head before she could bite it, “They would have noticed if I sent Dash. They didn’t know about Amber.”

Luna just sighed but let the matter drop, “How did it all happen? From your point if view?”

Leaning softly against her side, I told her all about it. “... And now Starlight Glimmer should be on her way to Canterlot. She should arrive soon.”

Nodding, Luna nuzzled, “I can’t decide if you are lucky or not.”

“Well, I have you, so let’s go with lucky. But to be honest, I didn’t do much. It was all Sunset Shimmer. She deserves the credit for this one. All I did was go there and then get hit.”

Smiling, Luna stole a quick kiss before she frowned, “And your illusion?”

I shook my head, “Was broken in the view of the villagers. Though I think it’s salvageable. There was a lot of commotion at the time and they were getting their marks back. The Elements have promised to keep it quiet and I think all that might come from it may be unconfirmed rumours. Those we already have.”

Luna nodded and leaned against me, “You were lucky. It won’t last.”

“I’ll handle that as it happens.” I sighed before I smiled and rested my head against her neck as her wing rested across my back, “Speaking of which, as soon as I get back, I’m changing from hero to villain.”

Luna just looked at me, raising her eyebrow, “What?”

“I plan to kidnap a Princess and take her to a deserted tropical island to do unspeakable things to her. There may be screaming involved.”

That got a laugh from her and she nuzzled at my ear, “That sounds wonderful… but impossible. I’m sorry, my Page. But I can’t.”

“I’m sure they have a Moon there too, Luna.”

“It’s not that, Page.” She sighed, “A few days ago we got news that the king of the griffons has passed away.”

“Oh?”

She nodded, “Equestria is expected to send a royal representative to the funeral and then observe the trials for a new ruler.”

I pulled back to frown up at her, “Why you? Send Blueblood!”

Luna snorted, “Page, we would be at war before the week was over.”

“… I’m not sure about that. He is less useless than he pretends to be. If barely,” I said and then flicked my ears. “And why you? Someone else can go. There are more than two princesses now.”

Luna shook her head, “Who would go, Page? Princess Cadance? She is busy running the Crystal Empire and getting them integrated into the modern world. My sister? Something on this short notice would send most of the capital into chaos if she simply dropped everything. Then there is everything now involving Starlight Glimmer. Twilight will also be quite busy with that and her own duties as the Element of Magic.”

“…This sucks,” I finally sighed.

“It does,” she agreed and then smiled. “Now, if there was an alicorn I knew that got along well with other species I could send…”

I just gave her a flat look, drawing a giggle.

“Too late now anyway,” she sighed. “I’m already on the ship, we just left the port.”

I just groaned, “This sucks even more. I can’t come with you?”

Luna hesitated and laid down, pulling me down along her with her wing, “A sky chariot could might still catch us.”

I thought about that for a second before I collapsed against her side, “Would it even work?”

“Between your studies, duties, training of Sunset and whatever else comes up, my Page, along with my duties?” Luna asked and nuzzled at my ear. “Maybe.”

I rolled onto my back to look up at her, “How long will this entire thing take?”

She grimaced, “…A month or two.”

I just stared up at her, “TWO MONTHS!?”

“At most. The longest coronation trial I remember lasted just over a moon.”

Frowning in thought, I slowly nodded, “…You are just a day out. Sky chariots are fast.”

Luna smiled sadly. “By the time you reach Canterlot I will be over three days out and moving away still. They are not that fast. I’m sorry, my Page.”

“…This sucks,” I sighed and leaned against her side.

Fuck, I really deserved some Luna time after this bullshit. I wished it would just stop being one thing after another.

I then frowned in thought, “Luna… can I talk to you about Sunset for a moment?”

“Hmm?”