• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,610 Views, 88 Comments

Will Ye No Come Back Again? - Judge Holden



The time that he served had shattered all his nerve. A young man goes into the light.

  • ...
10
 88
 1,610

Cowards Die Many Times

"Marines don't die. They just go to Hell and regroup."
-Unknown


First of all, nobody believed me when I said I was 18, and I couldn't blame them. Growing my first beard hair was a huge moment for me. Still, I wasn't exactly turned away- there were a few who lied about their ages so they could serve after what happened at Pearl Harbor.

Most of us thought we would be seeing the Japanese- yeah, the Krauts needed an ass whooping as well, but most of us wanted to knock some Japs out first.

Naturally, we didn't get what we wanted. I was deployed for the North African Campaign. It was my first taste of action, and I was excited, and also a little bit nervous.

My rifle hung limp in my arms, as if I were cradling a baby. I'd affectionately named it the Mongoose. None of the other infantrymen liked me much on account of nicknaming my weapon before I saw action. They felt it was something done only by those who have tasted and survived combat; a privilege jealously guarded by even the other new guys that weren't me.

"I don't like you."
I stopped eyeing my rifle for a moment to look at the prick across from me in the half track.

"Who says you have to like me?" I asked.

"Who names their fucking gun first thing when they get here?" he growled. "Who the hell are you?"

"The guy who is excited to kick some ass," I shot back. I was trying to keep my cool, but damn he was getting under my skin. The scoff didn't help matters.

"Listen replacement, just keep your head down and pray they don't smell you. You don't look the type to be housebroken, anyway."
I went to stand, but lost my balance. The half track took the same moment to hit a bump, knocking me back onto my rear again.

"So intimidating. I shit bigger than you, kid."

"Fuck you," I said.

"Yeah, you wish you could."
I could actually hear my blood in my ears.

"Private Stone. You have a problem?"
I fell silent for a moment. Sergeant Hartman was always fair with me, even when I was in the wrong. I owed him my respect at least.

"No, sir."

"You got your big boy pants on?"
I didn't break my staring contest with the prick across from me- never got his name. All I know is he was a Corporal.

"Yes, sir."

"Then why do you look like you're going to pop a blood vessel?"

There was muted laughter from the others in the half track with me. I could take Corporal Prick's cocky grin no longer, and looked away, at the half track following us.

"Sir, must be the heat, sir."
I wasn't watching, but I could feel Sergeant Hartman nod.

"Must be."

Before anyone could say anything else, there was an explosion that deafened me. Earth flew up from a crater just twenty or so feet away and pelted us. While I was reeling, the half track screeched to a stop. I fell forward, and scrambled out with the others.

I saw another explosion, but could hear no more than a muffled pop this time. The explosion destroyed a half track two cars behind us. I didn't see our guys fall, though. I found myself hoping that they escaped.

My heart was beating in my ears, only aggravating my hearing or lack thereof. I put a hand to one and felt blood seeping out. The same Corporal Prick was the one that grabbed my arm and yanked me away from our ride to cover. He said something to me but I stared blankly, and after a moment he looked behind him to Sergeant Hartman to say something.

Suddenly, I could move again. And I was angry. I gripped my rifle and peeked out of cover- we were hiding behind a boulder. I paled. Bringing a rifle to a Panzer fight was suicide. I grabbed at my belt for a grenade.

Another shell landed behind us, pelting us with more dirt. My heart was racing as fast as it could go, and I risked a shot, hoping to at least catch the muzzle.

Of course, I didn't. Instead, as soon as I fired I felt something hit me in the chest again. Funny though, I didn't see the tank fire again.
I did see the Kraut that poked out of the Panzer with the pistol in his hand, though. He pointed at me with a finger. I returned the attention, though with a different finger.

Corporal Prick pulled me back down again just as I saw the tank barrel turning to us. My chest started to burn, and I looked down at last.

I paled again. I usually had no problem with the sight of blood, but seeing it pouring out of my chest as it was? All of a sudden I felt like lead.

Corporal Prick forced me to look at him, and I saw him mouth the words, "You're going to be okay." I still could hear nothing but ringing. This time, however, I saw another explosion, this time just past our cover. I growled, and pushed CP away. Before anyone could stop me, I held my grenade, and charged the tank while screaming my head off.

Damn Kraut shot me in the arm. I didn't go down, though. I wasn't ready yet. I kept running toward them while the tank fired at my comrades once again. I only then noticed just how many of ours were were lying around the husks of our half tracks.

Bang. Again. This time, it was my stomach. The burning was becoming unbearable, but I was closing the distance to the tank.

Bang. Leg.

Bang. Neck.

Bang. Chest again.

Bang. Well, sort of. That one was more of a graze.

By now I was close enough to see the sweat on the Kraut's forehead. I saw him yell down into the tank in his stupid weinershnitzel gargling tongue. I didn't hear myself, but I know I yelled, "Schweinhund!" I spared a look at my comrades- Sergeant Hartman was alternating between screaming at me and into a radio.

I was finally at my destination, and I knew what I wanted to do. I leapt for the tank barrel, intent on rolling my grenade down it.
Someone must have been looking out for them, because the tank fired another shell at the others. I didn't intend to take the shell myself. I just had really bad timing.

All I saw was a flash from the barrel, and that was it. There was no pain. I just... I wasn't anymore. And all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Sam Stone back together again.

Stupid Krauts.


End of Chapter

Author's Note:

Okay, we're getting into the real part of the thing with the thing from here in. Next chapter covers what happens next. Somebody put him back together again please.