• Published 16th Jan 2017
  • 1,058 Views, 10 Comments

Trusting a Nightmare, Creating a Dream. - EclipseSight



Good friends can help us through the worst of our problems, but only if we allow them to. After finding her new self too difficult to deal with alone, Starlight has to learn to accept help, from those who are more than willing to give it.

  • ...
0
 10
 1,058

Trusting a Nightmare, Creating a Dream

Stifling a yawn behind a hoof, Twilight pushed open the door to the library. A cool breeze ruffled her mane, which was still showing prominent signs of a bed head. After stepping inside the still darkened room, it did not take her long to discover she was not alone. Books were stacked high, forming a fortress of knowledge around a familiar unicorn. Starlight was nestled within the walls, snoozing peacefully, a book acting as her pillow.

Twilight's lips curled upwards slightly, a knowing smile forming on her features. Walking forwards slowly and quietly, she came to Starlight's side. Already her fur was beginning to rise from her skin, bidden by the icy chill clinging to the sleeping unicorn. Twilight took a deep breath to brace herself, then placed a hoof on Starlight's shoulder. Immediately, glacial cold seeped through the contact, jolting upwards all the way to her elbow.

Still, Twilight kept the gentle smile on her face. She had been intending to leave and allow Starlight to sleep, but a subtle stirring under her hoof altered her plans. With a visible struggle, Starlight dragged herself into the waking world. Feeling Twilight's presence rather than seeing her, she groaned and raised her head sleepily. “I... guess I fell asleep again?” A yawn forced its way out of her throat, exposing her new dentition. Realising her mistake, Starlight abruptly snapped her mouth shut and turned her head away.

Unflinching at the unintentional display of long, sharp fangs, Twilight dipped her head and brushed her snout against Starlight's cheek. Her nose wrinkled at the glacial touch, but the gesture had the desired effect. Once Starlight turned around, Twilight could see an all too familiar sight- a unicorn who was working herself to exhaustion. Settling down on a second cushion, Twilight shuffled her wings and made herself comfortable. "Maybe just a bit... Did you find anything?”

“Nothing particularly useful. I found one theory on where Arcane Vampire Bats come from but other than that, no...” Starlight replied wearily, rubbing her sleep-laden eyes roughly.
“It's mostly just the same thing over and over again... and none of it is more recent than six hundred years ago. Until me, I don't think there have been any hybrids since that time.”

Intrigued, Twilight put a hoof under her chin, thinking hard. “Hmm... I'll ask Princess Celestia if she knows why that is when Spike wakes up. Though, knowing where they come from might be useful. It would open up a whole new alley of investigation.” Despite the situation, Twilight clapped her hooves together like an excited foal. Catching herself, she quickly lowered them again. Now was not the time and place for excitement.

Another yawn forced Starlight to pause, as her body tried to force more oxygen into her lungs to combat her exhaustion. Twilight's outburst went unmentioned. “Eh...it wasn't very good. Just a quick mention about Tartarus and a curse, nothing more. It was in that book there.” She pointed a hoof to a large, worn looking book with a simple dark red cover.

Taking the aforementioned book, Twilight gave it a quick skim through. The early morning gloom strained her eyes, the lantern they had been using the night before having long since burned out. Being forced to squint made the task slower going than she wanted, and her ears twitched irritably as Starlight's shuffling made her task even harder. A quiet tut sounded beside her, followed by Starlight's exasperated voice. “This might help. I'm the one who can see in the dark now.”

Suddenly, the entire room was engulfed in light. Twilight jerked her head at the sudden change. It took her only a second to puzzle out what had happened, though Starlight's mocking smirk likely sped up the process. The unicorn had pulled the curtains apart, allowing the morning sun to stream in through the library's many windows. Blushing at how easily she had overlooked such an easy solution, Twilight squeaked out a thank you before burying her head back in the pages. It did nothing to hide her embarrassment, and she could almost feel Starlight's smirk growing. Eventually, she emerged from the book, her cheeks now their correct colour. Unfortunately, Starlight's assessment of the usefulness of the material had been accurate. “Sorry... I was hoping that the Canterlot Archives would have something... It's never failed me before.”

The image of a younger Twilight constantly diving into the massive library in Canterlot for any little problem flickered behind Starlight's eyes. It was an amusing thought, that brought a few warm giggles bubbling from her chest. “There's a first time for everything I suppose. Still, at least we know where it's not...” The weak attempt at humour felt hollow, as fake and worthless as the smile she now wore, as she gestured to the multitude of books that had been unable to help her.

“Maybe that is true,” Twilight said softly, placing a wing over Starlight's shoulders. She could see right past the flimsy facade, no matter how hard Starlight tried to maintain it. “Still I'm sure we'll be able to work it out...somehow...” Fervently, she hoped that she would be proven right, sooner rather than later. Ignoring the fresh wave of goosebumps, she pulled Starlight closer to her and briefly brushed their cheeks together. “Maybe you should get some sleep. I can clean up here.” Flourishing her magic, she proceeded to do just that. Everything became shrouded in an aura of magenta, before floating off to its proper place.

Adamant that bed was not what she needed, Starlight shook her head. Her own magic soon joined Twilight's, and together the pair had the entire library clean in less than a minute. Twilight let her eyes roll, but did not press the matter. Beside her, Starlight had begun to stretch, in an effort to work out the stiffness her awkward sleeping position had crammed into her joints. Twilight was about to join her, when a familiar whoosh of air rang in her ears. This was her only warning, before something heavy collided with the side of her face.

Stunned, Twilight could only blink and stare. There was no pain, just surprise. It was as if she had been struck by a pillow, or even a blanket. Then she heard Starlight, her timid voice laboured and breathless, as if she was wrestling with something. “S-sorry, I should have been more careful...”

Blinking once again, Twilight turned around and everything became clear. Starlight was struggling with one wing, while the other was flared like a sail. Memories of her own experiences with new and unexpected appendages rushed to mind. The experience had almost been surreal. Though her heart still raced, Twilight found herself smiling slightly. Starlight's apologies, she waved away with a quick gesture of her hoof. “No worries. I had the same problems.” Extending one of her own wings, she examined it fondly. Despite her initial grievances, the benefits of being winged were many.

Grumbling, Starlight continued to fight with her new appendages. They stubbornly refused to sit correctly, no matter how tightly she tried to pin them against herself. Panting, she wiped her brow and allowed herself a moment's respite before tackling her wing once again. “How did you manage them? They just feel so... weird?”

In response, Twilight just gave a half shrug. “Like you say, it felt weird at first...but to be honest I was more worried about being a princess than having wings.”

“Fair enough, I guess...” Starlight replied absently, casting a far away look to nowhere. “I'm just, trying not to think about some things right now.” Without waiting for a response, she resumed her struggles with her unruly wings.

Finally, after an almost minute long battle, Starlight's wings were folded tightly against her body. Despite being covered in fur, the leathery folds felt alien against her, and the bony supports digging into her sides, even more so. Standing once again, she pushed her mane out of her eyes. No matter what she did, the additional length made it a nightmare to deal with.

Briefly, a grimace passed over Starlight, a twinge of discomfort coursing through her. A surging weakness that shook her knees and clouded her thoughts. Though subtle, the feeling was one that filled her with dread. Before she could even begin to rectify her moment of transparency, Twilight said softly. “You're hungry aren't you?”

Gulping nervously, Starlight forced herself to nod. If she lied, then Twilight would never forgive herself. Wordlessly, Twilight extended a hoof, which Starlight took in her own. Bringing her accursed fangs to her friend's warmth, Starlight began the sickening task of draining her. Part of her wanted to get the process over with, but there was a farce that had to be played. She had to make it look like she was satisfied, while in truth she was taking barely enough to keep her standing. It was all she could bear to absorb, no matter how much her body screamed at her to take more.

“T-Thanks...” she mumbled, drawing away abruptly and hugging her own chest tightly with one hoof. Revulsion made her want to heave, but there was nothing tangible to expel. All it was, was energy, magic, her passion, yet it sickened her more than the foulest of tastes. In an effort to draw attention away from her obvious discomfort, she forced as much pep into her voice as possible and smiled shakily. “Anyway. I'll make you breakfast... It's, the least I can do.”

“You don't have to.” Twilight countered, but Starlight waved her off.

“I want to. Now you'd best go wash up before Pinkie's picnic.”

Twilight paled, and quickly grabbed her schedule. The planner had gone mostly ignored for the past several days, with most of her efforts focused in the library. Sure enough, barely legible amongst the scratched out events, was a small note in Pinkie's hoofwriting. The picnic was at noon, so Twilight relaxed slightly. One never knew with Pinkie Pie, but this time she had chosen a reasonable time. Afterwards everyone who was available would probably come back to the library, that had been there arrangement. Whoever was available would help Starlight dig into the books. It was more for the company than anything else, and less pleasant matters. Though, Twilight was beginning to worry, Starlight was looking worse every day. She had assumed it was stress at first, but now she was wondering if it was something more.

As Starlight left the room, Twilight decided to grab some parchment and ink. Initially, she had been intended to draft her letter to Princess Celestia and have Spike post it as soon as he woke. However, first she had another idea in mind. A letter to someone Starlight trusted more than anyone else in Equestria. It was short, and simple, but hopefully it would be enough. Now all she had to do was send it...

Starlight arrived to an empty kitchen, and sagged against the counter. One cupboard flew open, releasing two eggs, and two slices of bread. Paying the barest amount of attention, Starlight began the routine of making breakfast...for one. Even if she could eat pony food, it did absolutely nothing to sate the hunger which seemed intent on devouring her. The picnic was already going to be unbearable, breakfast was not going to mock her as well. While waiting for Twilight's breakfast to cook, she buried her head in trembling hooves and sighed.

This was perhaps the most ridiculous idea she had ever come up with. Certainly one of the most reckless. However, it was her only option. She just had to buy time, either until a cure was found, or she would have to face the inevitable. Of course, she could just as easily collapse from exhaustion first. Time was ticking forward, and so far all her hopes had been systematically crushed.

Her left ear twitched at a faint sound. Whirling around, Starlight put on her most winning smile to greet whoever was at the door, only to see no one. Confused, she strained her hearing, trying to ascertain the sound's origin. It was a quiet, padding of footsteps, yet now that she focused they seemed, distant. Sighing heavily, she turned back to Twilight's breakfast. Even her advantages felt like disadvantages.

The approaching footsteps grew louder, until Twilight walked through the door. All evidence of their toils in the library were gone from her, making Starlight feel scruffy in comparison. It gave her an excuse to leave at least. “I'll go wash up now... Your breakfast is there.” Hurriedly, she made to leave, but Twilight's wing stopped her gently. Without looking up, Starlight simply froze and waited for Twilight to speak.

“Starlight...” she said softly. “We can postpone the picnic until you're more comfortable. Everyone will understand.”

Starlight quietly shook her head, now meeting Twilight's eyes. As much as she was not looking forward to the picnic, being out of the castle for even an hour would probably clear her head. “No... It's fine... I think I need to get out of the castle anyway...It's been days.”

Twilight lowered her wing, allowing Starlight to pass. Before she could leave completely, Twilight offered one final thing. “Thanks for breakfast.” Then Starlight left. Watching her go, Twilight let out a heavy sigh. Of all the ponies this could happen to...

At noon, everyone was gathered near the river, as chosen by Starlight. The sound of the water rushing past was soothing, and the spot secluded enough that very few ponies would pass them. Ponyville knew about her affliction, and she would rather avoid their stares. While she cared little about most of their opinions, she was too worn thin to deal with them.

As usual Pinkie Pie had prepared an impressive spread, which everyone tucked into with gusto. Starlight stuck to her apple juice, which provided a taste, without the unpleasantness of having to work her fangs around solid food. As she was taking a sip, she heard Fluttershy address her, meekly of course...yet kindly. “And umm... how are you doing, Starlight?”

There it was, the inevitable question. Now that the seven had finished catching up, it was her turn. Usually the question would launch her into a passionate explanation of her latest spell, where only Twilight would be truly following but everyone would be at least trying to pay attention. It made her feel included, and tended to serve as the ice breaker. However, now that simple query was demanding an impossible answer. Dropping her gaze to her hooves, Starlight felt frozen to the spot. Her mind had effectively stalled, as she tried to summon a suitable answer. One that would satisfy their curiosity, without revealing her deceptions.

The expectant silence prickled the back of her neck uncomfortably, her mouth drying rapidly. Licking her lips in an attempt to supply them with moisture only worsened her perpetual panic. As the sensitive organ passed over the sharp, unyielding fangs, Starlight felt her breath catch in her throat. In a desperate attempt to break the crushing awkwardness, she tried to just get anything out. Infuriated by the string of broken noises that rose from her throat, she snapped her mouth shut. Blocking out the presence of her friends, she forced herself to listen only to the whispering of the river. When the water's calming voice drowned out the frantic thumping of her heart, she allowed herself to murmur, “I'm, fine...”

None of them believed it, that much was obvious. They had known something was wrong, even before asking her. Keeping to herself, trying to hold everything together, was not enough any more. It tore at her, as she was forced to watch every last murmur of hope be shredded before her eyes. Only three days, and she had cracked, how long could she keep up the real farce...

A shadow fell over her, and Rainbow's voice pierced through her. “That's it?” A hint of anger coloured the pegasus' words, writhing just below the surface. “That's all we get?”

Twilight stepped forward, eyes narrowed. “Rainbow...” she said warningly.

Acting as if Twilight had not spoken, Rainbow pressed on, now towering over Starlight, who had made herself as small as possible. Her teeth were gritted, her body trembling from being drawn tight. “We all know you aren't fine! You can't even say it properly! Why lie to us?!”

Unable to endure the verbal onslaught any longer, Starlight hissed out. “What am I supposed to say?” Snorting, Rainbow started to respond, but a teal aura clamped her mouth shut. Voice quaking with emotion, Starlight continued. “What am I supposed to say? Tell me that Rainbow? Am I supposed to tell you all that I can't stand the thought of living like this, a parasite who has to take my friends' very essence just to survive? That every book that fails to provide an answer only forces me closer to that inevitability? Is that what you want to hear?” Chest heaving, she clambered to her hooves and shoved Rainbow away from her. “Well I don't want to have to say it! I say I'm fine because that's what I want to be! I'm sorry if that's not enough for everyone!”

Mane whipping around her, Starlight turned on heel and stormed away from the gathering. Before anyone could break from their shock to follow her, she vanished. Her destination mattered naught to her, she simply wanted to be away.

Long after the restraint had faded from her muzzle, Rainbow stood rigid. The world around her felt muted, as Starlight's anguished cries repeated themselves again and again within her head. Those words would haunt her for a long time. Sighing heavily, she turned back to her friends. The disappointment etched onto their faces sank deep into her core, Twilight looked livid.

“I just wanted her to open up... We've all been worrying for days...” Rainbow said quietly, rubbing her elbow with a hoof. “I...didn't mean for that...”

Applejack stepped forward, looping a hoof around Rainbow's shoulder. “I know, but sometimes ponies don't always wanna talk about their problems...”

Slipping out from under Applejack's hoof, Rainbow slumped into a sitting position. Twilight sighed and shook her head. “I know what you were trying to do, but let's just... leave it for now... Starlight needs some time to cool off.”

“Should we try looking for her?” Pinkie Pie piped up, already shoving the leftover picnic supplies back in her basket. They could continue this another time.

Again, Twilight shook her head, staring off into the distance.“Not right now, I think Starlight needs some time alone.”

Everyone nodded solemnly, splitting off to continue their days. Applejack volunteered to remain at the picnic site for a while, in case Starlight chose to return. An hour passed, and the pegasi began to busy themselves with a scheduled rainstorm. When it became clear Starlight was not going to come back, Applejack left as well.

What had once been a glorious sunny day was a now a dull grey, a light drizzle coercing ponies inside, to the cosy warmth of their homes. Not everyone chose to heed the weather's call. One such pony slowly walked back into town, seemingly oblivious to the film of rain obscuring her vision. By the time she reached the small cottage of the edge of the forest, her coat and mane were completely soaked through. Even the numbing wetness had no effect on her, though her limbs still trembled as if movement was an effort.

Concerned as she was, Fluttershy had busied herself with cleaning out the cages of her many birds. Once she had moved onto the larger cages of her parakeets, a throbbing ache that blossomed in her chest a drew her away from the task. What had caused it she would never know, but she would always be grateful for it. Through the sheets of rain caressing her windows, a glimmer of movement caught her eye. Putting aside her brush, she flashed the bright green birds an apologetic smile. “I'm so sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to clean your cages later.” The animals nodded in understanding, and Fluttershy dove out into the rain.

As miserable as the day was, it was as glorious as Spring's first bloom compared to how Starlight felt. Sopping wet, the unicorn trudged onwards, barely paying any attention to her surroundings. It took everything she had just to keep moving, to not collapse in the dirt. Her stubborn neglect had finally worn her new body to the breaking point, and finally, after four days of abuse, it rebelled. Feeling as if the whole world had been pulled from under her, Starlight keeled over. She expected to collide with the drenched ground but instead met only a warm softness. Bleary-eyed and half delirious, she craned her neck to see the blurred image of Fluttershy's concerned face staring at her.

“I've got you,” Fluttershy said softly, using all of her might to pull the limp unicorn back onto her feet. Even when Starlight's weight lessened, she kept her shoulder pressed firmly against the mare's side. “Don't worry, I have you.”

Hearing that gentle voice sparked a flicker of new life into Starlight. In a voice hoarse from screaming, she croaked out, “F-Fluttershy? I...I'm sorry.”

Not willing to hear any of it while they were both out in the rain and Starlight was still on her hooves, Fluttershy gently shushed her with a wing. “Later. Let's get you inside.” Starlight fell silent at that, a heavy sigh rushing from her lungs.

With Fluttershy bearing most of her weight, Starlight made the short journey towards the small cottage. Feeling very foolish, she allowed the butterscotch pegasus to settle her down on the sofa and drape a blanket over her. A drying spell that took a disconcerting amount of effort dealt with the rain still dripping from their coats and manes. Drained, Starlight laid her head down and braced herself for the inevitable tirade. Her secret was out.

Then she remembered just who she was with. Rather than berating her ailing friend, Fluttershy simply settled down on the rug and waited. Waited to listen. Taking a deep breath, Starlight pressed her chin heavily on the arm of the sofa. “It's silly. I... just can't keep going like this. I couldn't bring myself to do what I had to...and I've ended like this... Pathetic right?”

Remaining silent, Fluttershy weighed her options. The others needed to know what was going on, as soon as possible, but she was loathe to leave Starlight alone like this. Her solution came in the form of Angel, dragging a large fluffy pink blanket. Fluttershy had noticed the bunny's infatuation with Starlight and found herself perplexed by it. However, it did mean she could trust the usually fickle rabbit not to cause trouble. As Angel tried to drape the thick blanket over Starlight's still shivering frame, Fluttershy pulled open the door. “I'll be back soon. I need to go tell everyone you're here. Umm... stay here, please.”

In response, Starlight simply buried her head into the arm of the sofa and flicked her tail. Taking that as an agreement, Fluttershy ducked out and began the mad dash around Ponyville. The most difficult part would be trying to convince her friends not to immediately rush to the cottage. Even so, she would have to stand firm. This was going to be handled slowly and calmly. Knowing how close the two were, she decided to start with Twilight. The princess was also going to take this the hardest...

Try as she might, Twilight could not focus. Even the inviting pages of her spellbooks could not draw her attention for more than a minute. Rubbing her itchy wing, she huffed breathily and flopped back in her chair. A small clink pulled her from the throes of her anxiety. Looking up, she saw that Spike had placed a steaming mug of hot chocolate down in front of her. Raising it to her lips, she took a sip and smiled. As always, it was just perfect, exactly how she liked it. As thanks, she leaned down and gave Spike a fond nuzzle on his head. “Thanks, Spike, I needed that.”

Spike, who was in the process of straightening his head frills again, grinned and flashed her a thumbs up. “No problem. I know you're worried.” A sombre pause stretched between them, and Spike moved closer to his caretaker. “I am too.”

With an elegant flick, Twilight had a wing wrapped around the young dragon. He offered no protest as she drew him in close. Before either could say anything else, Fluttershy's head poked through the doorway. Still keeping a wing around Spike, Twilight raised a hoof and beckoned her friend over. Her face fell when she saw the worried expression painfully evident on Fluttershy's face. Standing now, Twilight swept over towards the pegasus. Frantically, she asked, “Is something wrong?”

Ears pressed against her head, Fluttershy tried to hide behind her mane. “Umm... well, not exactly...” When she was met with disbelieving stares, she sighed and shook her head. “Sorry... umm... I found Starlight.”

As expected, Twilight jumped at those words. Every conceivable outcome started to flash behind her eyes, at a rush most ponies would be overwhelmed by. Twilight was able to process it all, which was not necessarily a boon. Deep ragged breaths pulled her from her thoughts, and she quickly realised that they were her own. Placing a hoof on her chest, Twilight forced a deep, slow breath into her lungs. Then, she exhaled and extended her hoof. “Okay... let's go.”

In barely any time at all the three were standing outside Fluttershy's cottage. Everyone had been informed already, but with tensions already flared and Starlight so exhausted, seven ponies and a dragon in the small cottage would be inadvisable.

Already knowing exactly what was going to have to happen, Starlight was sitting waiting. The blanket Angel had provided for her was draped across her shaking shoulders. Whether she was shaking with fear or hunger, did not matter, as neither was preferable over the other. To steady herself, she idly began to pet Angel, who seemed to enjoy her attention. A casual ear twitch was her only outward reaction to the sounds of approaching ponies. Inwardly, her snarling gut twisted uncomfortably. It knew that food was approaching. The thought sickened her.

When Fluttershy, Spike and Twilight re-entered the room, Starlight was standing on her trembling hooves. Before she could open her mouth, a small set of familiar arms wrapped tightly around her leg. Guilt stabbed itself into her heart, every beat driving it deeper. Wearily wrapping her free leg around Spike's frame, she sighed softly. Long, soft feathers she assumed were Twilight's wrapped around her neck and shoulder.

“I...didn't mean to worry everyone... Just... let me explain first before you do anything else.” Starlight pulled away, moving sluggishly over to the window. Their concern only worsened the guilt she felt, she had sown these seeds herself. Pressing her pounding head against the cool glass, she stared forlornly into the rain. “I was just, trying to stall...trying to come to terms with everything. It didn't really work out, obviously. Just like everything else I try to pull. You'd think I'd learn, but I'm stubborn... Anyway, I just... couldn't bring myself to, well... you know.”

Another wave of faintness passed over her Starlight. She closed her eyes, breathing shallow as she waited out her sudden weakness. Pressing a hoof against the window helped her keep steady. “Like I said before. Every time I was met with disappointment it only drove the fact home further. This is me now, the monster is on the outside. Maybe we'll find some obscure solution, but we've just about exhausted every resource available to us. Even Celestia and Luna don't have a clue, and they've been around for thousands of years. It's just... who I am now... a parasite.” Rather than being pinned to her sides, her wings now drooped listlessly to the floor. “I just... can't do it... I can't hurt you all...”

The three onlookers turned to each other, silently trying to work out what to say. Pressing his claws together, Spike took a moment to count the scales on his hands. Without saying anything, he moved forwards and hopped up on the windowsill. This forced Starlight to pull back from the glass and look at him. His green eyes were like gemstones, hard and firm. Whether she wanted to or not, she could not look away. “Who you are... is our friend. None of that other stuff really matters to us.”

Her breath caught in her throat once again, as she tried to rebuke his statement. Her brow furrowed, and her eyes narrowed with anger, but she could not speak. Before her throat cleared, Spike spoke up again. “If we can still be friends after all the crazy time travel you put us through, then this is nothing.” His smirk dared her to protest, to tell him he was wrong. Infuriatingly, she found that she could not. Her face relaxed, not quite smiling, but the anger had drained away. Spike's smirk grew wider, realising that he had won an argument with her. It was quickly wiped off his face when her tail lightly swatted him. Rubbing his cheek, he chuckled. “Okay, I deserved that.”

Starlight just winked at him, pulling away from the window. Now she faced Twilight, whose face was unreadable. Slowly, the alicorn moved forward. Starlight kept herself frozen to the spot, determined to take whatever was coming to her. A gentle touch on her shoulder was the only warning she received before she was pulled into a hug. Stunned, all she could do was stay limply within Twilight's embrace. After a moment, the alicorn slowly started to move, and Starlight was along for the ride. She had no strength to resist, even if she had wanted to.

Soft cushions suddenly rose up to meet her, and she found herself back on Fluttershy's couch. Twilight clambered up next to her, and Fluttershy did the same on the other side. Spike was about to do the same when a knock at the door interrupted them. Frowning slightly, Fluttershy quietly padded over to the door to ask whoever was knocking to please come back later. However, when she opened the door, that plan effectively stalled.

Perhaps one of the last ponies she had ever expected to see at her door, now faced her. The newcomer was panting, clutching her chest as if she had been sprinting. Taking up the entire doorway, was a large deep blue wagon harnessed to her flanks. As soon as the door was opened, she was trying to push through Fluttershy, wagon and all.

“Uh... um... that's not going to work...” Fluttershy mumbled, as the wagon effectively wedged the mare into the doorway. Before she could formulate an annoyed response, the mare soon found herself on the floor, her wagon having magically detached itself. All forward momentum then drove her forwards, and downwards.

Trixie Lulamoon had cancelled three shows to travel to Ponyville as quickly as possible. Fortunately, she had been only a few miles away, when a mysterious letter had woken her from slumber. The thing had popped into existence and interrupted a perfect dream. She was not sure what had surprised her most, the letter or the sender.

A familiar sight of lavender fur caught her attention. Grasping at the extended hoof, she pulled herself up, face twisted with disdain. “You better have had a good reason for bringing me here Sparkle.” She huffed and tried in vain to straighten her hat. “I had to run all over Ponyville looking for you. What is this about?”

Rather than answer verbally, for fear of inflaming the already annoyed unicorn further, Twilight simply gestured behind her. Trixie's eyes raked around the room, before almost instantly zeroing in on her best friend. In that instant, she realised her mad dash had not been for nought, and all anger drained away from her. Starlight gave her a shame-filled sideways glance, prompting Trixie to move closer.

“What happened?” she breathed, everyone else in the room seeming to melt into nothingness. Perhaps the fact that she had burst into another pony's home and effectively jammed the door shut should have bothered her, but she had much more pressing matters to deal with.

While this was not exactly how Starlight had imagined explaining her situation to Trixie, she had little choice now. In some ways, this was easier. The direct approach always gave her less time to collapse under her own anxieties. “Well... I was setting up decorations for Nightmare Night and in a stroke of bad luck got myself bitten by an Arcane Vampire Bat and in another stroke of bad luck it drained me dry and turned me into this.”

Several moments passed, and Trixie stared wide-eyed, trying to process the rapid explanation. Snorting, she shook her head roughly and blinked rapidly. “Oh... I'm um... guessing it's permanent?”

Turning away, Starlight rested her hooves on the back of the sofa and dipped her chin onto the cradle they created. Saying it was hard enough, she could not bear to see the reaction to it as well. A hoof that she instinctively knew was Twilight's once again found her shoulder. The princess had held her tongue for the duration of the conversation, holding out hope that her plan would succeed.

Taking the comfort Twilight offered gave Starlight the strength to mutter out. “It's...looking more and more likely that it is yes...”

Now everything made a lot more sense to Trixie. The exhaustion present on everyone's face, Starlight's dull lifeless appearance, Twilight's desperate letter. They had most likely spent the last four days exhausting every avenue available to them. For the first time, she cursed her nomadic lifestyle. It really did make having friends difficult, but now that she was here...

Starlight stayed silent after that, bile rising in her throat. She was most likely going to have to live like this forever. Saying so aloud only cemented the despair she felt at that. All of her remaining life would be spent bound to ponies' generosity. If that were to ever run out, then her only option would turn her vile. That was her life now, where hurting her friends, the ponies she cared for the most, was the lesser of two evils.

Before she made any move towards Starlight, Trixie unceremoniously yanked Twilight's head down into whisper range. The princess opened her mouth to huff, but Trixie blocked her with a hoof. Hissing under her breath to keep herself from being heard, she asked, “So...what exactly does this entail? What's going to happen.”

Twilight bristled slightly, straightening herself back up once Trixie allowed her to. Matching her rival's abrupt tone, she replied. “Basically, she has to take energy from another pony to survive. Sort of like how changelings used to need love. We've been dealing with it, sort of...but I don't think she can bring herself to do it properly... She's... said as much.”

“I can hear you both...” a quiet voice suddenly rang out. Starlight turned around and fixed them with an annoyed stare. She swivelled her large ears, demonstrating her point. Twilight turned scarlet, her wings fluttering nervously at her sides. Trixie, on the other hand, looked completely unabashed, stepping forward confidently.

“Good it means I don't have to repeat myself.” Trixie then pulled off her hat and cape, which had been comically askew since her arrival. “So what if you're diet is a bit weird now. We've both met Discord, and he's weirder than everything else put together.” In a quieter voice, that everyone but Starlight had to strain to hear, she continued. “It doesn't matter to me, and it doesn't matter to anyone else. You're still you, the same you that became my friend and helped defeat Chrysalis and turn a whole race into Equestria's ally... What is it you want to be? Normal?”

That was something she had never considered, and there was a time where she would have wondered. Now, she knew the answer, very clearly. “Yes!”

A wry smile touched Trixie's lips, and she shook her head. “Sorry Starlight, but you are anything but normal... Whether you like it or not, I'm probably the most normal pony in this room, and I sleep with live fireworks!” Here she chuckled, wilting slightly under the bewildered stares from Twilight, Fluttershy and Spike. “Long story. Anyway Starlight... you've always been special... You messed with time and took on an alicorn like it was nothing. That's who you are...now it just shows on the outside as well.”

Raising a hoof, Trixie gently touched one of Starlight's wings. The lilac mare shivered at the contact, but Trixie did not move away. “No matter what you look like...no matter what you have to take from me...you'll always be my friend...my first friend.”

A low sniffle was the last sound anyone heard before the cottage was plunged into a thoughtful quiet. Vision blurred, Trixie felt rather than saw the chilly hoof that gently wiped away the moisture in her eyes. “Hmmph. You going to give a friendship speech, Miss Royal Pants, or are we going to sit in silence?”

“Actually... I think you said it about perfectly...” Twilight said softly, moving over to the pair. “Friendship's all about overcoming your hardships together. Something like this is not going to change that.”

Trixie coughed, trying to clear the stubborn sentimental tickle that had taken up residence in her throat. “Of course I did! Hmmph. Now there's just one more thing.” Moving quickly, she took Starlight in a vice-like embrace, hugging her tightly. “Time to get you better. I need my great and powerful assistant at top performance!”

Now effectively stuck, Starlight could not have recoiled even if she wanted to. Trixie had her in a death grip. Yet, even now, she could not bring herself to do what needed to be done. Even as her friends begged and her body rebelled, she could not. Her heart ached, being tugged in two directions. “I...I can't... what if I... enjoy it... I can't enjoy something like that!”

“Then... it's easier for everyone.” Twilight said softly, climbing onto the couch and wrapping her hooves around Starlight's other side. The two rivals had sandwiched her in place, working together to make sure she returned to normal. “Truth is Starlight, we all want our friend back. We're willing to help you, and we trust you...but it's up to you to trust us. Please...I'm sorry I-.”

“Twilight if you blame yourself again I will throw you into the lake!” Releasing a shaky breath, she looked down at Trixie. The show mare was making good on her promise, not letting up her death grip. “Okay... okay... Trixie... promise me you'll kick me as hard as you can if I go to far.” When she received no response, she shook her friend as hard as her leaden limbs would allow. “Trixie! I mean it.”

A muffled agreement came from within Starlight's mane. Gulping once, Starlight begun the dreaded process, and this time she would have to do it properly. Leaning down, she gently pressed her fangs against Trixie. The snarling in her stomach became a roar, as energy began to flood into her at an alarming rate. Panicking, she yanked herself away. “Sorry! I didn't mean to go that fast! I just...”

Her frantic gasps ended abruptly as Trixie's hoof came up and clamped her mouth shut. Only when Starlight stopped trying to apologise did Trixie lower her hoof. “Starlight... sometimes you forget that you don't always have to be in control. As Twilight says...trust yourself and trust us. We'll be fine. You aren't actually going to hurt us. Pfft, has Sparkle rubbed off on you or were you always like that?”

“Hey!” Twilight huffed, glaring at Trixie around Starlight's head. Starlight bit her lip to stifle a chuckle. Even if they were coming together to help her, Trixie could never resist a jibe, or three, at Twilight's expense.

A light nudge from Trixie got her back on track. Slightly steadier now, Starlight lowered her head once more. A steady stream of energy coursed around her, revitalising her tired limbs and sharpening her thoughts. Every second that passed lessened the incessant hunger, which had become a constant since Nightmare Night.

Feeling Starlight pull away, Trixie raised her head and smiled. The transformation was astonishing. Starlight's limbs were no longer trembling, and her cheeks were much less pale. Life had sprung back to her crimson eyes, twinkling with energy. Trixie nodded, approvingly. “Much better...” Her voice trailed off into a whisper, and her shoulders then sagged slightly.

Worry clawed at Starlight when Trixie weakened against her. However, before the feeling could set in, Trixie jumped back up, giggling. Wow, that feels kinda nice actually... Sort of how you feel in a spa. Sleepy warm.” She grinned, bumping a relieved Starlight with her shoulder. “See, told you it'd be fine. You really need to relax a bit.” Starlight only blushed and averted her eyes, but before Trixie could press the subject further, a steaming cup of tea was pressed into her hooves, courtesy of Fluttershy. “Oh...uhh...thanks. I'll...umm...move my wagon in a bit.”

“I'll get it.” Twilight said softly, her horn glowing as she spoke. With a simple spell, she pushed the wagon out of the doorway, allowing a crisp afternoon breeze to blow through the opening. Trixie buried her face in her tea, spluttering wildly when the hot liquid scorched her tongue.

After helping the show mare gulp down some water, Starlight looked to the ceiling with a half-lidded gaze. Now that she had her strength, there was only one thing to do. “I, need to apologise to everyone... For being so...”

“Boneheaded?” Trixie put in, earning her a playful nudge.

“...Yes, that.”

“I'm sure everyone will just be glad you're okay...” Fluttershy said softly, a knowing smile gracing her features.

As it turned out, she was right. Starlight's ribs felt like they would be bruised for the next couple of years. Pinkie Pie had seen to that.

Twilight's living room was soon bustling with activity, as the postponed picnic was continued, whether the weather agreed or not... Trixie had joined them and was currently trying to worm her way under Twilight's skin. Excusing herself to go and get a glass of water, Starlight stood up and made her way to the kitchen

As she was running the water, a faint scuffling sounded behind her. “Can't sneak up on me anymore.” She turned around, just as Rainbow stepped into the room. “Rainbow, hi! Is uh, something wrong?”

“Just wanted to make sure you were okay.” Rainbow gave a half shrug of her wings.

“Yep. I just needed a glass of water,” Starlight answered, holding up the glass. The mare's earlier outburst, and her reaction were still fresh on her mind. “T-Thanks by the way.”

Rainbow tilted her head, raising an eyebrow at the statement. Wetting her throat with a sip from the glass, Starlight continued. “Just...for trying to get through my thick skull... I don't know how much longer I'd have tried to keep this up without that...”

“Oh. Right.” Chuckling, Rainbow sheepishly rubbed the back of her head with a wing. “That... I guess I have a bit of a direct approach huh?”

Starlight giggled. “More than a little. Which is why I'm thanking you. Like I said... I was being silly, and...you helped me see reason. You all did.”

Rolling her eyes, Rainbow swatted the other mare's cheek with a wing. “That's what we're here for egghead! Just... promise me that you're actually okay now, and not trying to be for our sake?” Rainbow started fidgeting with a wing, pulling at her feathers as she tried to hide the tremble in her voice.

Hearing the pleading uncertainty in the usually bold pegasus caused Starlight's heart to skip a beat. Closing her eyes, she nodded slowly, and as sincerely as possible, answered, “Yeah... I'm okay Rainbow. I promise.”

Relief flooded Rainbow, and she let her wing fold back against her side. “That's good. Now, we should get back. I wanna see Trixie get turned into an orange.” Laughing, Rainbow turned on tail and sped out of the room.

Thoroughly doubtful that such a thing would ever actually happen, Starlight took the time to finish her water. Placing the glass down, she followed Rainbow's example and walked back to the living room. As she had expected, Trixie was still herself, though Twilight was looking somewhat irritated. Rushing to the princess' rescue, Starlight settled down in between them. Getting the message, Trixie rolled her eyes, laying off on her teasing... of Twilight. “So... how did my magic taste? Amazing right?”

“Trixie!” Starlight spluttered, the question taking her completely off guard. Trixie burst into hearty guffaws until a glowing blue cupcake tried to ram itself into her mouth. Plucking the floating treat out of the air, she took a big bite out of it. Several titters rose up at Starlight's expense, and she contemplated throwing a cupcake at the lot of them. In the end, she relented and made a show of fixing her wings, which had decided to extend straight up. Her efforts only made things worse, until Twilight and Fluttershy stepped in to lend her a hoof.

Eventually, the coming of the night had everyone dissipating to their homes. A weight had been lifted from the entire group, and everyone would sleep a little easier. That was no truer than in Starlight's case. Her regrets were many, but her worries were now fewer.

Trixie had decided to use the guest room next to Starlight's, just in case. She was adamant that it had nothing to do with several fireworks making a mess of her wagon several times en route to Ponyville. She and Starlight were now standing just outside the two rooms. Before retiring for the night, Trixie gently touched Starlight's shoulder.

"I...I really did mean everything I said. I know I'm not always around, but you're my best friend, and you always will be. I just...find it hard to stay in one place..."

"...And I need Twilight to keep me in check." Starlight's eyes softened, and her vision blurred for a moment. "Trixie... You've dashed to Ponyville as soon as I've needed you...twice... You're pretty amazing in your own right. Even if ponies can't see it... I can."

Trixie smiled softly, absolutely sure that she was tearing up as well. The two embraced briefly, before stepping away and into their respective rooms. Just before Trixie's door closed, Starlight called out softly. "By the way. You tasted of fireworks." Then she quickly shut her door and pressed her full weight against it.

Almost immediately her door began to shake, as a grumpy unicorn pounded furiously on the wood. Starlight's laughter only seemed to increase the ferocity of the banging. Realising that she was never going to get through, Trixie huffed. "I'll get you in the morning for that!" The next thing Starlight heard, was a snort of laughter, and the closing of the adjoining room's door.

Still chuckling, Starlight made her way over to the bed. Since her transformation, she had been unable to sleep on it, either because she was too busy in the library, or because her new wings made the task impossible. Having had no luck in dealing with said wings, she decided to have a little fun. Scanning her ceiling, she found the perfect spot and set about enacting her plan. If this worked, then nothing would ever surprise her again.

When Twilight checked in on her later that night, the alicorn had to rub her eyes to make sure she was not seeing things. Starlight had attached a railing to the ceiling and was using her tail to hang from it, upside down. The unicorn's head barely missed brushing her bed, mane splayed out across the unused sheets. One wing was folded neatly against her body, while the other had apparently decided to wrap itself around her chest. Whatever they wanted to do, there was nothing for them to bump into, and Starlight slept peacefully. Glad that she finally looked untroubled, Twilight stepped out and quietly closed the door. Smiling to herself, she thought aloud. "Maybe I should have tried that."

Author's Note:

And this is the sequel to my Halloween story. I wasn't sure where to take this, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to write this... I did, and it turned out nothing like what I expected, as usual.

I hope you all enjoyed it though. I'm not sure whether this is going to be a standalone or whether I'm going to turn it into a series. I have one more story at least for this continuity. Starlight has wings, but no idea how to use them, and Rainbow did promise to help her.

Anyway, hope you all have a nice day and thank you for reading. I'll see you next time.

Comments ( 10 )

This was a welcome return to this particular scenario and the lingering issues that came with it. Everyone was in character and their actions were believable and expected of them. The part at the end was especially enjoyable and truly heartwarming. Bravo.

Maybe in a following future sequel we could have her interact with Thorax as well? Comparing contrasting their drastic changes in recent times, as well their thoughts and coping of it all.

Leading to a final one with Queen Chrysalis is full intent on revenge upon Starlight. Totally taking adavantage of the situation and playing several tormenting mind games with everyone's personal trust & perceptions of Starlight. Forcing to Starlight fully confront those dreadful parts of herself.

7876568 Yeah, I felt this one needed to be written. It was going to be about everyone adjusting to the new situation but obviously it turned out as more a story about Starlight learning to trust her friends. She's a bit of a control freak, and this situation doesn't really see her in control. I dunno, that's where my brain went. Becoming fundamentally different is not going to be easy for anyone, especially for a loner who's only just returning to friendship and now has to suddenly hurt her new friends whether she likes it or not.

I have a lot of little plans and half ideas don't worry, Rainbow's flying lessons are simply the only fully thought out one. They'll become full ideas eventually. Sunburst and Thorax are two people I want to visit, but Starlight will most likely have to go to them. Which is a whole adventure in itself. Chrysalis is someone I'm seriously considering, just not sure what angle I would want to take with her, and the show may do it first. We'll see what happens with her.

Thanks for the comments. I'm really glad you enjoyed this second instalment. Have a nice day!

Yes. A sequel.

I love how you wrote this. All the cast seem very in character, which is tough to do.

8197364 Yep and I'm working on another one as well. Though it might be a while as I'm trying to decide exactly what I want to do with it.

Thanks. It is tough but I try. Thank you for the comment, have a nice day!

8197414
Good luck in your endeavour. And good day to you too. :pinkiehappy:

Despite the situation, Twilight clapped her hands together like an excited foal.

Fluttershy said softly, using all of her might to pull the limp unicorn back onto her feet.

Not willing to hear any of it while they were both out in the rain and Starlight was still on her feet,

Hooves :twilightsmile:

She was most likely going to have to live like this forever.

Living forever is kinda nice, though.

8795417
Hands I'll give you. That was me being an idiot. Feet I tend to use interchangeably. They're hooves but they are still feet, just as a dog's paws are still feet... sorta. I changed it since there were only two instances anyway.

Living forever would be cool, but if her food supply dries up then she's going to be in a world of trouble. Twilight's a maybe, but the others will eventually die and if their children/grandchildren don't appreciate the immortal vampire, then she'd be in a pickle. Thanks for the comment, have a nice day.

8795438
There are "footsteps" too :unsuresweetie:

They're hooves but they are still feet, just as a dog's paws are still feet...

They most certainly are, but for FiM pony "foot" part makes more than half of hind leg's length, so it's a bit weird term

Do you think there could be another one where Sunburst comes to visit or something? Maybe Princess Cadance and Shining Armor, too.

Login or register to comment