• ...
9
 73
 3,914

A Strange Introduction: Part 2

A Strange Introduction: Part Two

Soul awoke some time after having passed out the previous day. The first thing that he noticed was that he had a massive headache that made him feel as if he had charged an oncoming train; all of the information he had gathered about his situation coming back at once. The second thing he noticed was that someone had removed all his bandages and could move freely. He decided that it was a good idea to have a shower to clear his head. He got up and steadily made his way to the bathroom through a side door in the hospital room and locked the door behind him. He quickly showered, more for relaxation than cleaning, and only got out after his headache had subsided. He dried himself off before deciding to go to the lobby and try to get them to contact Twilight. He set off towards the elevator, but shortly discovered that the hospital was smaller than he thought hospitals should be, at only two stories high. He shrugged it off; from what he could see out the windows Ponyville was a small town, which he saw bordered a familiar forest.

‘I still don’t know how I survived all that.’ he thought to himself as he walked down the stairs. ‘It’s probably something to do with that magic Twilight used. Speaking of which, I think I’d better do a little research about that when I get the chance. I think I heard one of them mention a library. I’ll have to visit it sometime,’ As he walked into the lobby he saw that Twilight was already at the counter talking with the receptionist, along with Rarity and a purple lizard, which Soul recognised as the one Twilight had been with when he first found her.

“Oh, looks like you have perfect timing, here he comes now!” said the receptionist to the trio, and they twirled around on the spot to meet him.

“Oh, hi Soul, I wasn’t expecting you to come down so early ,” Twilight said merrily. “We were just filling out the release papers and then we were going to come up to see you.”

“How are you feeling, darling?” Rarity asked. “I’m pleased to say that you look in a better state than we left you in.”

“Well, I had a headache when I woke up, but it’s gone now, and I feel one hundred percent healthy! Apart from the memory loss that is.”

“I was actually meaning to talk to you about that.” Twilight interjected. “I think I may have found a spell that could help you get your memories back.”

Soul perked right up. “Really? That’s amazing! I’ll have to come over as soon as possible to try i-“ “AHEM.”He was interrupted by a loud coughing that brought Soul’s attention back to the lizard on Twilight’s back. “Oh right. I keep forgetting my manners. Who might you be, little….,” he paused looking the reptile over for several seconds, before giving up. “I’m sorry, but I don’t know what species you are either.”

“Soul, I’d like you to meet Spike. He’s a baby dragon and my number one assistant!” Twilight introduced, beaming, while Spike just looked Soul over, eyes narrowed, obviously still nervous about the pony he had seen covered in blood a day earlier.

Soul’s eyes, however, widened to twice their original size.“A baby WHAT now?” he asked, completely shocked, before turning to Spike. “OK, now no offense Spike, but from what I know, dragons don’t exist, apart from in fiction.”

“Well, obviously you’re wrong,” Spike rebutted flatly, more than a little irritated. “Besides, I thought you couldn’t remember anything!” he said pointing at him accusingly.

“Well, I can’t remember any personal information, or experiences, bar the last few days, but I find can remember general information. You know, like the sky is blue and stuff. Though I’m finding a lot of what I remember seems to be false. I’m going to have to do a little more research to see just how much of what I remember is correct.”

Twilight’s ears perked up at the mention of research and was about to say something when Rarity interrupted her.“Right, well, you can work on that later,” she said quickly. “For now, it’ll be our delight to show you around the town! Where shall we go first?” As if to answer, Soul’s stomach growled very loudly.

“Oh, pardon me. Though you can’t blame me, I didn’t exactly feel safe eating anything in the forest. Where’s the closest food outlet? I feel like I could eat an elephant’s weight of food right now.“ This was punctuated by another loud rumble, causing Twilight to giggle.

“Well, the closest place that sells food wouldn’t be open this early, but I suppose we could head to Sweet Apple Acres first and get you something to eat,” she said turning back towards the counter. “We just need to finish this paper work and then we’ll be off.”

***

Half an hour later and they arrived at a kind of farm house in the centre of a large apple orchard that had various other small buildings, and a large barn, surrounding it. Soul took a moment to look around before Rarity called in. “Hello! Applejack darling! We’re here to show Soulsilver around the farm!” After a moments silence the front door burst open and Applejack came flying out and grabbed Soul’s right forehoof with both of hers and started to violently shake it.

“Well howdy, partner! Ah’m sorry ah couldn’t give ya’ll a proper Apple family greeting yesterday, but that just means we’ll hafta greet ya twice as hard today!” Applejack said quickly while still shaking his hoof.

“H-hand…f-falling…o-off,” Soul managed to stutter through the vibrations Applejack was coursing throughout his body, before she pulled him into the house. Twilight just sighed and walked up to the house.

Soul stopped suddenly in front of a large red pony, and was still slightly dazed from the sudden movement. “This here’s mah big brother, Big Macintosh! He’s th’ strongest and hardest workin’ pony this side of Manehatten!” Applejack said proudly as she motioned towards the draft pony, who simply stood there and nodded. while smiling with a wheat sprig in his mouth. Soul noted that his name was appropriate; he towered a head above him. Soul didn’t have a chance to take much more than that before he was pulled away again and stopped in front of an elderly pony asleep in a rocking chair, thankfully a little more prepared than last time. “This here’s Granny Smith! She makes the best darn apple treats you can get yer hooves on!” Soul made sure to make note of the older mare’s apple pie Cutie Mark before being whisked away into what seemed to be the sitting room, which was empty. “Oh gosh darn it, where’s Applebloom gone to? I told ‘er to stay put so we could greet you properly!” Applejack asked looking around the room.

“Jus’ a sec, Applejack, Ah’m comin’!” answered a small voice from upstairs. “I was jus’ getting’ cleaned up!” A second later Soul heard footsteps coming down the stairs and a little filly rounded the corner. She had a yellow coat, a red mane with a large pink bow in it, and most notably, no Cutie Mark. “Howdy, mister!” She said brightly, before her eyes slid down to his flank. “Wow! It’s true! You don’t have your Cutie Mark! And is it true that you can’t remember nothin’?” she asked eagerly walking up to him.

“Well, I can remember a few things, but not much,” Soul answered, eyeing the curious filly. “I certainly can’t remember anybody being so hospitable to me! Well, maybe the hospital. But where are my manners? My name’s Soulsilver,” he said extending a hoof towards Applebloom, who shook it. “And I take it that you’re Applebloom, right?”

“Yep! Ah thought ah was the oldest pony to not have mah Cutie Mark! Ah can’t wait to introduce you to the rest of the Crusaders!” she said happily. “So what do you remember? Do ya know why ya woke up in th’ forest? Was it scary fightin’ a manticore all alone?” she continued to get closer with every question.

“Okay, now Applebloom, that’s enough badgerin’ the guest. Now ya’ll run along and get ready for school.” Applejack said, shooing the filly out the door. “Awww! But-“ “No buts. Now get!” As Applebloom left the room Twilight, Spike and Rarity walked in through the other door.

“Thanks for inviting us in, Applejack.” Spike said, the sarcasm practically dripping from his voice.

“Well, ‘scuse me for wanting ta introduce Soul ta everypony.” She replied defensively, while Spike just grumbled. “And now that the formalities are outta the way, do ya’ll mind me asking what brings ya’ll here?” Once again, Soul’s stomach seemed to answer for him, grumbling loudly. Applejack just chuckled lightly. “Now Ah don’t suppose it has anything to do with that, now does it?” she said smirking. “Follow me to th’ kitchen, ah’ll fix ya’ll up some grub.” She walked out the door she had shooed Applebloom out of earlier, who had apparently gone to find something else to do.

“Ugh, Applejack, must you really call it ‘grub’? It reminds me of those awful baked bads you made,” Rarity retched while following her.

“What are ya’ll complaining about? You didn’t even eat any!” Applejack snapped back.

“Baked bads?” Soul asked Twilight.

“Oh, it’s a long story. Let’s just say a lot of ponies got sick. Even Pinkie Pie, and nothing makes HER sick!”

“ I liked them,” Spike muttered to himself, crossing his arms. Soul and Twilight followed the others into the kitchen, and their nostrils were instantly filled with the smell of several types of apple dishes. In response Soul’s stomach rumbled louder than all the other times, with a force that made him feel as if there was a small earthquake inside of his belly. He looked at it irritated while taking a seat at the table.

“Quiet, you.” He muttered to his gut, which just made Applejack chuckle more.

“Sounds like you need somthin’ in there pronto,” she said smiling. She grabbed something from the bench and slid it across the table, it stopping in front of Soul. “Here, eat these. They’re leftovers from breakfast.”

In front of him was a very large helping of apple pancakes. He was about to dig in when he realized something. “Um, I’d like to, but I don’t have any money, and I wouldn’t want to take advantage of your hospitality,” he explained while looking at the ground sheepishly. “Aw shoot! You think I’d let ya’ll pay for a meal after what you’ve been through? Naw, anything you get from Sweet Apple Acres is on the house! And I’m not takin’ no fer an answer. Now, eat.” Applejack punctuated the last sentence by stomping her hoof down slightly. Not wanting to make her angry he exclaimed his thanks and grabbed the cutlery carefully with his wings. He fumbled with them looking for a good way to hold them, and once found he quickly started cutting off several large chunks and placing them in his mouth. He moaned in delight as his tastebuds were tickled with flavours he could faintly remember. He continued eating like this for a good half a minute before he realized that everyone in the room was giving him a strange look.

“What? What is it? Am I eating sloppily?” he quickly asked before examining himself for any food crumbs that may have been on him.

“Err, no, it’s nothing,” Twilight reassured. “It’s just the way you’re eating is kind of strange to us. We didn’t know that pegasai could use their wings like that.”

“Oh. Well, I had troubles with holding things in my hooves, so I learned to use my wings instead. Much easier than trying to balance on my rear hooves, and definitely better than carrying things in my mouth. It wasn’t fun carrying sticks in my mouth for fire. They do not taste good,” he explained before grabbing another mouthful of pancakes.

“Uh, okay, if that’s what you’re comfortable with, it’s fine by me,” she said, smiling awkwardly, before turning towards Applejack. “Anyways, we were planning on showing Soul around the town, and I was wondering if you’d like to join us.”

“Well, shoot, Twi’, ah’d love ta, but ah’ve got an awful lot of applebuckin’ to do ta make up fer missing out yesterday.”

“Oh no, was that because of me?” Soul asked after swallowing his mouthful. “I’d be glad to help out any way I can.”

“Well, Ah’d appreciate that, but ya’ll have got more important things to worry about, like actually being able to find your way aroun’ town. So ya’ll come back here when you’ve gotten yourself sorted out.”

“Well, I’d like to learn more about this ‘applebucking’, but I suppose it can wait.” Soul continued his breakfast as the others departed into the sitting room.

“Oh, isn’t he just a gentlecolt? Offering to repay you right away!” Rarity quietly gushed, bringing a scowl to Spikes face. “And you, Applejack! That was the most generous offering I’ve seen you make to anypony! Free produce for life?”

“Well, it’s the least ah could do. I don’t suppose he’s got a bit to his name. And not havin’ any memories or a Cutie Mark’ll make it hard to find a job.”

“That’s what I figured, but the princess told me to just try to find a way to bring his memories back, and to contact her if nothing works. So I’m sure we’ll have him fixed up in a couple of days.”

“Where do you think he comes from? His accent is quite splendid, but I can’t think of anywhere that doesn’t know about dragons.”

“Say what now?” Asked Applejack taken aback giving Rarity a confused. “Ev’ry foal and his mama knows about dragons. They live all over the world.”

“He thought that dragons were mythical,” explained Twilight. “You remember what he said about the manticore? Though those are native to Equestria, so he might not have heard about them. But anyways, where he’s from isn’t important right now, what we ought to be focusing on is how he lost his memory in the first place. I’ve come up with several theories, ranging from a variety of medical conditions to several magical memory loss spells.”

“Memory tampering?!” Rarity asked scandalized. “Who would want to do something like that to such a kind stallion?”

“What I want to know is why you’re all trusting him so much!” said Spike, who was getting angrier by the minute. “How do we even know if he’s telling the truth?! For all we know he’s just saying those things to get attention! Or he could just be a madcolt!”

“Spike!” Twilight gasped. “How can you say that? He was almost dead when he found us!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Spike said before getting off Twilight’s back and walking towards the front door. “If you need me I’ll be cleaning the library.”

“Spike!” Twilight called, and was about to run after him when Applejack held her hoof out in front of her.

“Now, hold on there, Twi’. I don’t know what’s got his scales in a twist, but it sounds like he needs to cool off. Ya’ll should just give him some space.”

Twilight sighed, defeated. “Okay, let’s get Soul. He should be finished his pancakes by now,” she said, turning back towards the kitchen door. When she opened the door she reviled Soul staring at her while nonchalantly holding an apple pie in his wings close to his open mouth. “Uh, Soul, you weren’t about to eat that whole apple pie, were you?”

“…nooo,” he quietly said, while looking away. Twilight just cocked an eyebrow at him.

“What else did you eat?” she asked suspiciously.

“Just the pancakes!” he said a little too quickly, causing Twilight to give him a half-lidded stare. “And some apples. And maybe a fritter or two. I stayed away from the muffins though,” he defended, giving an awkward smile while slowly putting the pie on the table. “And besides, I got them from that fridge over there with a note saying ‘Leftover produce; give away.’” Twilight was about to give him a lecture on asking for things before taking them, and possibly the dangers of eating so much food in one sitting, when Applejack interrupted her.

“It’s okay, Twi’. Really. Ah usually just give that stuff ta Pinkie Pie at the end o’ the week, anyways. Ah’m shure that she won’t mind sharing with Soul here,” she said before chuckling. “Ah recon they’ll be best friends, considerin’ how much she eats.”

“Yes yes, we can discuss eating habits later,” said Rarity impatiently drawing everyone’s gaze to her. “But for now we really must be going if we are to show Soulsilver around the town.

Twilight sighed before turning back to Soul. “Alright, you’re right. Come on, Soul let’s get going. We’ve still got a lot of place to show you.”

“Okay then, let’s head off then,” he said getting up before looking around. “Hey, where’d Spike go?”

“Um, he had some errands to do! At the library! So he had to run off.” Twilight explained hastily, giving him an overly large false grin. Soul cocked his eyebrow at her.

“Really? Well, they must have been important if he couldn’t say goodbye. Oh well, I guess we’ll catch up to him later. Let’s go,” he said before turning to Applejack. “And thank you for your hospitality, Miss Applejack. You’re apples are delicious.”

“Why thank ya kindly, Soul,” she replied before they walked back out the door. “Just remember to come back now, ya hear?” she called out after him. When they were gone she walked back into the kitchen to put the pie away only to find that it was gone. Chuckling to herself, she went to start her daily chores.

***

Several hours later Twilight and Rarity had show Soul around town and introduced him to several ponies. These included a mint green unicorn called Lyra whose Cutie Mark was coincidentally a lyre, and a cream coloured Earth pony called Bon-Bon who, also coincidentally, had three bon-bons on her flank.

The next pony Soul met was a strange blond maned grey pegasus mare whose eyes didn’t seem to want to co-operate. When he asked her what her name was she said “Derpy Hooves! I’m late for muffin pick-up!” before flying off, leaving Soul to give his companions a confused look.

They just giggled at his expression before Twilight explained. “Her name is Ditzy Doo. She calls herself…that name because apparently it was an old nickname she had gotten accustomed to. She may seem a little out of it, what with her wonky eye and speech impediment, but she’s actually quite intelligent. She is never late with the mail, though she does have trouble with heavy deliveries.” As she said the last sentence she rubbed her head and frowned.

“What about those muffins she mentioned? She seemed kind of enthusiastic about them,” he asked.

“Oh, she calls lots of things muffin. Considering how it’s almost midday she’s probably picking up her daughter from school,” Twilight explained.

“That’s a bit early for school to be over.”

“The classes are split into two lessons, a morning one finishing at midday and an afternoon one, finishing at three. Oh, that reminds me!” she exclaimed turning to Rarity. “Rarity, isn’t Sweetie Belle in the morning class?”

“Oh, that’s a wonderful idea, Twilight!” responded Rarity getting Twilight’s point. “We should head over to the school and pick her up and introduce Soul to her! How does that sound, Soul darling?” she said turning to him, eyes fluttering, causing Twilight to roll her eyes.

Soul just smiled. “That’s fine with me, I just wonder if she’ll be as overwhelmed as Applebloom was. Let’s head off,” he said as he nodded towards the road.

Twilight nodded in response. “Yeah, I’m sure her and her friends are excited to meet you,” she said smiling before trotting off down the road, Soul and Rarity in tow.

***

Soul, Twilight and Rarity found their way to the school gate to find three small fillies waiting for them. The first of them was a white unicorn filly with a light pink and purple mane, the second was a orange pegasus filly with a purple mane, and the third was Applebloom, who came running up to the three older ponies.

“Soul, Soul! I want you t’ meet mah friends!” she exclaimed before tugging him over to the other fillies. “Soul, this is Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo,” she said, gesturing to the unicorn and pegasus respectively. “They’re mah two best friends in the whole world and fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders!” Soul raised his eyebrow at this, his interest peaked by the mention of Cutie Marks, but held his tongue.

“So, this is your sister Rarity?” he asked eyeing the small unicorn before turning to the fashionista, who simply nodded. He turned back to Sweetie Belle who shrank back a little at his gaze. “Well, her name certainly fits, she’s the sweetest thing I’ve seen since those apple pancakes,” he said smiling, bringing a blush to the unicorn filly’s cheeks. He silently chuckled at that before turning to Scootaloo, who seemed to be getting impatient with being ignored. “And let me guess, this one is Rainbow Dash’s sister,” he said chuckling. This brought a shocked expression to her face.

“Really? You think I’m cool enough to be Dash’s sister?” she asked, looking up at Soul with a large grin on her face.

“Oh definitely. You look like her, you sound like her. Heck, if you were the same age as Dash the only way I’d be able to tell the difference between the two of you is your coat and mane!”

As he said this Scootaloo’s grin got wider, before she turned to her friends. “I like this guy!”

“See, Scootaloo?” asked Applebloom. “Ah told you he was cool!”

“Hey! He doesn’t have his Cutie Mark!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle, who was pointing at Soul’s flank. “You weren’t lying!”

“Woah, that’s awesome!” said Scootaloo, wide eyed. “OH! I’ve got an idea! Crusaders, huddle!” The three young fillies huddled in a circle and started whispering to each other. After a moment they pulled apart yelling “CRUSADERS, BREAK!”

“What was that about?” asked Twilight.

“We can’t tell you, it’s a secret!” Said Sweetie in a sing-song voice.

Twilight just giggled. “Okay girls, I won’t pry. Besides, I’m not the best at keeping secrets.”

“I’ll say,” said a voice from behind them. This caused both Rarity and Twilight step back, startled. Soul, however, fell straight back flailing around yelling.

“My word, Soul, are you all right?” asked a concerned Rarity who rushed to his side to help him up.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just startled is all,” he said as he got to his hooves.

“Heh, I wouldn’t have expected somepony who spent more than three days stranded in the forest to be scared by Pinkie Pie,” said a familiar tomboyish voice from above. Soul looked up and saw Rainbow Dash resting on a low cloud overhead. Soul would have been taken aback by this had Twilight not already explained about how the weather works.

“Well, you spend a bunch of time lost in a place filled with dangerous monsters and we’ll see how paranoid and jumpy you are,” he replied sarcastically.

“Yeah, yeah, I guess that’s true,” she said admittedly flying down to meet them.

“I’m sorry I scared you Soul,” Pinkie said, face drooping into a sad expression, which Soul swore pulled his heartstrings to near breaking point, before Pinkie instantly brightened up again. “But I promise I’ll make it up to you! Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” she said, going through the motions that were familiar to all but Soul.

“Uh, what was that you just did?” he asked, eyeing her inquisitively.

“That was a Pinkie Pie Promise, silly!” she replied while bouncing around, only adding to Soul’s perplexity. “It’s a super-duper-special kind of promise between friends, that you have to keep FOREVER!” She emphasised the last word by pulling her face close to his, making him jump back a little, before Pinkie continued bouncing around.

“Okay then. That’s good. Nice to know you keep your promises,” Soul said nervously watching her as if she was going to bite him, which actually wouldn’t surprise him at all.

Pinkie suddenly stopped bouncing and just hung in mid-air and gasped before falling to the ground again.. “OH! That reminds me! Dashie, we need to go!”

“What? Why do we need t-“ she started to ask before her eyes widened in realisation. “OH! Yeah! That’s right! Okay guys, we’ll see you later, me and Pinkie have stuff we gotta do,” Rainbow said before dashing off, Pinkie somehow keeping up with her while waving goodbye.

“Where do you think they’re going?” asked Scootaloo.

“I don’t know, probably going to plan a prank to pull.” Twilight said, causing Soul to cringe. He did not want to think of the kinds of pranks those two might be able to spring on him. “Anyways, let’s get going to Rarity’s.”

“I’m sure you’ll find the living conditions to be superb!” Rarity said beaming. “Only the best can be expected for my guests.” She turned towards the road that led to the town square that the Carousal Boutique bordered. As they walked Soul noticed that there were considerably less ponies out, despite the morning classes just being out.

These thoughts were pushed aside as the group of ponies came up to a two story building that Soul realised had been named for the exterior design, which made it look as if it were a large carousel ride. He probably would have thought that it was, were it not for the windows and door. Rarity opened the door and led them inside. What Soul saw was what he would have expected of a boutique; behind several half-draw curtains were pony shaped mannequins , makeup stations were lined up along the left wall, there was a stand with three mirrors surrounding it, designed to allow a pony to look at their sides as well as their fronts. On the far wall was a flight of stairs past an archway.

As Soul finished looking around Rarity stepped in front of him “Well? What do you think?” she asked, seeming a little afraid of his answer.

“It’s very nice, Rarity,” he said smiling. “A bit girly, but nice.”

“Oh, I just knew you’d love it!” she said, apprehension leaving her voice before turning towards the stairs. “Come, follow me, I’ll show you where you’ll be staying.” Soul followed her upstairs into a small hallway lined with a few doors and windows. They reached the door at the end of the hallway before Rarity turned around. “This is your room,” she said while opening the door with her magic. The room wasn’t large, but it wasn’t small either. There was a decent sized bed on the right side of the room, and a built in wardrobe on the left. Why he would need a wardrobe was beyond him, but he didn’t complain. Rarity did however. “I’m sorry I couldn’t make this room a little more fashionable, but I didn’t have enough time.”

Soul smiled at Rarity, shaking his head. “No, don’t worry Rarity it’s fine.”

Rarity just groaned. “If you say so,” she said dolefully walking back out the door. “But come on now. We need to head to town hall and get you citizenship.” Soul complied and followed her back downstairs.

“Where are you guys going?” asked Scootaloo, rushing to their side.

“Rarity, Twilight and I are going to town hall for a bit,” Soul answered. “You guys want to come?”

“Nah, we need to plan some crusades today. We’ll catch up with you guys later,” she said walking back to her friends.

“I’m not sure I trust you girls here on your own,” said Rarity with a worried look. “You get into enough trouble while I’m supervising.”

“I’m sure they’ll be fine, Rarity,” Twilight assured her fellow unicorn. “How much trouble can they get into while planning?”

“Oh, well,” she paused, biting her lip. The three young fillies gave their most pleading faces, and Soul felt as if he were going into cardiac arrest due to adorableness. “Oh, okay. But if anything is broken or on fire when we return then it will mean no crusading for a week!”

“Okay!” the three fillies yelled simultaneously grinning before running up the stairs and into Sweetie Belle’s room. Rarity sighed shaking her head before turning to Soul and smiling.

“We really should be off,” she said as she walked towards the door. “Come along, darlings.” Twilight and Soul followed her out the door and across the bridge that led to the town square, in which a large building lied in the centre. The trio went inside to find the inside to be pitch black.

“What the hell,” Soul said as he walked forward, looked around, unable to see anything. “Where are all the lights?”

“Oh no,” Twilight said worried. “Soul I think this might be a-“

She was cut off by the lights suddenly being turned on, momentarily blinding them, and a large “SURPRISE!” being rung out from all directions. Soul spun around in shock, looking around the large, now illuminated room. He stopped panicking quickly as he realised he wasn’t being attacked. It was promptly replaced by confusion as he noticed that the number of ponies had somehow managed to surround him without his knowing. He shook that thought from his head as Pinkie bounced up to him.

“Hiya Soul! Did ya like your surprise? Did ya? Did ya did ya did ya? Because you sure looked surprised!”

“Uh Pinkie, what’s going on?” he asked perplexed.

“I’m throwing you a “Welcome to Ponyville” surprise party! I invited everypony in Ponyville, because they’re all so super-duper excited to meet you! Have you ever been to a party before? Oh wait, you can’t remember anything,” she said before gasping loudly. “That means that you don’t know how fun parties are! That’s so sad! OH! I know! I’ll just have to show you how fun they can be!” She grinned unnaturally wide and grabbed Soul’s hoof pulling him over to the side of the room. She quickly introduced him to the world of party games and dancing. Soul was glad that the attention had fallen off of him and everyone was partying of their own accord. Pinkie pulled him once again towards the snack table, which was covered with various types of sweets and baked goods. Pinkie grabbed a cupcake and poured what seemed to be sauce all over it.

“Pinkie, why are you drowning that cupcake in sauce?” he asked.

“Oh silly, this isn’t any kind of sauce, this is hot sauce!” she answered. “I love hot sauce covered cupcakes! Though no one else seems to like them.” She pouted, a little sad that she couldn’t share her favourite treat with anypony. Naturally seeing Pinkie sad would be enough for most ponies to do anything to make her feel better, and Soul was not exempt from this.

“I’ll try one,” he said smiling warmly. She looked up at him grinning madly.

“YAY!” she yelled before shoving the cupcake into Soul’s mouth. Soul almost started screaming out in panic until he managed to actually taste what was in his mouth. He chewed slowly savouring the taste before swallowing.

“That was delicious!” he exclaimed, his grin only around half the size of Pinkie’s, which is still pretty large. “How can anybody not like that?”

“That’s what I said! But they were all like ‘Pinkie I’m breathing fire!’ and “Oh Celestia, did I just eat lava?’ But it isn’t even that spicy. Now rainbows, THEY are spicy.”

Soul just nodded, not understanding at all. “Well, maybe you should make a spicy rainbow cupcake and I’ll see just how spicy it is,” he said smirking.

Pinkie giggled. “Okay, but if I couldn’t take it then you might explode! Twice!” she said before bouncing around. “I’m gonna go see if I can get some rainbow from Dashie. Help yourself to the snacks, but don’t eat them all!” she said in a voice that was somehow singsong and knowing at the same time. Soul chuckled before turning back to the snack table to find Twilight standing there.

“Why does everybody find it necessary to sneak up on me?” he asked sarcastically.

Twilight giggled. “Need some water?” she asked bringing a glass to them.

“Nah, I’m fine. Apparently I’m immune to hot sauce,” he said flatly, bring another giggle from the librarian.

“I should have figured that, with how much you can eat,” she said, cocking her eyebrow while putting down the glass. “So I’m guessing you aren’t scared of Pinkie anymore?”

“I wasn’t scared of her!” he said defensively. “I was just extremely frightened at the fact that she seems to be able to defy the laws of physics. But she’s nice, if not a little random, so I’ll try my best to ignore it.”

“That’s everyponies reaction to meeting Pinkie Pie,” she said laughing before looking at the rest of the party-goers.

“I suppose we won’t be able to go to the library today, will we?” said Soul, following her gaze.

“Ha, we’ll be lucky if we get any sleep tonight. Pinkie’s parties tend to be a little crazy.”

“Does she throw parties for every new pony in Ponyville?”

“Yep, even those who are only passing by. But she usually throws parties for no good reason. I’m not saying that they aren’t fun, I love her parties. It’s that she throws a lot of them. I don’t mind going to them, but sometimes it’s not a good time. Like last year, we were avoiding her because we were planning a surprise birthday party for her and she thought that we didn’t like her parties and didn’t want to be her friends anymore. Rainbow had to drag her to the party and we had to explain that it wasn’t a going-away party. It was scary, her hair was all straight and she was really angry. But we explained that it was a birthday party and she got all cheery again, and her hair inflated like a balloon.”

Soul just stood and listened with a blank expression. When Twilight finished talking he looked over at Pinkie bouncing around the room having fun. “I’d hate to see her sad or angry. I don’t think I can even imagine it.”

“Yeah, it was really weird, Though not as weird as her Pinkie Sense.” Soul just stared at her.

“I’m not even going to ask,” he said as he shook his head, enticing another giggle from Twilight. “But anyways, I suppose I’ll have to come to the library sometime tomorrow then. Figure out what I might be good at.”

“Yeah, that’d be nice.” Twilight said happily. “But for now, let’s go party.” She turned and walked towards the crowd with Soul in tow.

***

Soul and Rarity left after it got dark, not wanting to leave the girls alone by themselves at night. When they got there the house was quiet and dark. They went upstairs to check on the girls to find that they weren’t there. Rarity started panicking and frantically searched for the girls around the room in places they literally couldn’t be. Soul however took the logical path and checked the other rooms. He opened the door to his room to be greeted by a loud “SURPRISE!” The three young fillies were sitting on Soul’s bed wearing capes, a gift wrapped box in the middle of them. Rarity came rushing into the room with a look of worry on her face.

“Girls! I was looking all over for you!” Rarity exclaimed, causing Soul to roll his eyes and chuckle.

“We’re sorry Rarity, but we wanted to surprise Soul!” said Sweetie Belle with a smile. “We made him a present!” This stopped Rarity from ranting at look suspiciously at the gift as if it were going to explode.

“You did? What is it?”

“Well Soul has ta open it ta find out.” Applebloom said as she nudged the box forward. Soul opened the box to find what appeared to be a larger version of the capes that the girls were wearing.

“We’re making you an official member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders!” Scootaloo said. Soul just stood gawking at them for a moment before pulling the three fillies in for a hug.

“Thanks you guys. I’ll take good care of it,” he said as they broke free of the hug.

“Come on girls, Soul needs his rest.” Rarity said as she levitated the cape into the wardrobe. After a round of goodnights and the door closed behind them Soul shut off the light and got into bed, which was surprisingly comfy. He looked out of the window at the night sky before drifting off to sleep.

***

Soul’s eyes shot open. He was in the void again. A quick test showed that he could move his head and neck, but nothing else, and still couldn’t speak.

“She never loved you.”

Soul’s head snapped to face forward in shock and confusion.

“She could never love you, you were always too focused in your work.”

Soul’s head whipped around in a futile effort to find the source of the voice.

“That’s why I killed her.”

Soul froze out of shock.

“She was holding you back, so I arranged for her to die.”

Soul felt his consciousness slipping again due to the overpowering emotions gripping him.

“It’s a good thing you can’t die, or it would have never worked. So, in a way, it was your fault.”

This pushed Soul over the edge, and he blacked out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHORS NOTES

Heya everybody, I apologise that this took so long, but between doing assignments and pretending to study for exams I didn’t have much time to focus on this. I am also sorry for the lack of exciting material in this chapter. Well, it might be exciting, but I can’t judge my own work.