• Published 4th Jan 2017
  • 402 Views, 5 Comments

Pink Apple Seeds - The1Ryu



We all know Big Macintosh as the large, stoic, confident, and reliable stallion of few words, but before that, he was a scrawny, neurotic, unsure, and verbose colt. What changed him?

  • ...
2
 5
 402

Chapter Two: Splitting Seeds

Splitting Seeds


The bell rang through the classroom signaling the end of the school day. Fillies and colts rushed to pack up their books and escape while their teacher shouted reminders about homework assignments over the noise.

Big Macintosh packed his things slowly as usual; unlike the other ponies, he couldn’t go roughly shoving his books into his bag unless he wanted them going through it, the desk and into the floor. While he still had to be careful about how he handled the fragile objects that made up the world he no longer had the same solemn look he’d had at the beginning of the semester. He was now eager to get going rather than just angry because he had to be there at all.

His bag packed Big Macintosh trotted eagerly out of the now empty classroom; he had spent almost every afternoon for the past several weeks visiting his little pink filly friend Pinkamina. She was great, spending time with her never failed to cheer up the tall skinny red colt, no matter how bad of a day he might have had. Adding to his joy was the arrival of Big Macintosh’s second little sister, the adorable little filly foal they had named Apple Bloom. He was still afraid to so much as hold the little foal, but that didn’t stop him from basking in the joy she brought to the family.

Of course, he had told Pinkamina all about the newest addition to his family, much to the pink filly’s muted excitement. Pinkamina still never spoke when they were together and still seemed to always have the same bland expression only occasionally broken by a weak half smile. She wasn’t unhappy, he knew that better than anypony, the more time they spent together the deeper the connection between them grew. He could always seem to feel what she was thinking and the endless well of smiles she kept bound up inside. At first, he was worried that he was developing yet another strange ability, but this was something that only seemed to happen with her, and so if this was a new ability it was the first one he didn’t mind.

“Hay Macintosh!” Big Macintosh when stiff groaning to himself at the sound of the voice and turned to glare at the three colts behind him. One was a dark brown earth pony named Chocolate Chips, and another was a yellow pegasus pony named Sun Streak. These two flanked their leader a white and blond mane unicorn named Prince Blueblood who called to him, “Where are you off to in such a hurry?”

Prince Blueblood, as he told everypony, was the nephew of Princess Celestia herself. He had come to Ponyville at the suggestion of his aunt to learn something of ‘simple country ponies’ as he put it. He never failed to remind anypony that got out of line just who he was and that he was better than them. Everypony in class, in the whole school for that matter, answered to his every whim in hopes of earning such a prestigious friend.

“Nunna yer business,” Big Macintosh shot back, he didn’t care to have the Prince as a friend and he very well could have. Prince Blueblood approached Big Macintosh soon after arriving; the unicorn had misread the other pony’s fear of Big Macintosh, and the red colt’s grim attitude to mean that he was the school bully. The Prince had wanted Big Macintosh for muscle; after all taking over the school was very easy when you had all the muscle on your side. Of course, Big Macintosh didn’t want anything to do with the Prince and told the upstart unicorn off. Blueblood didn’t like that and made it his mission to make Big Macintosh’s life miserable.

Prince Blueblood quickly became king of the school pushing around all the other ponies and making good on his mission to make Big Macintosh miserable.

The red earth pony hated the white unicorn, not because of the way he treated the other ponies if they wanted to let the prince walk on them that was their business. It wasn’t simply because Blueblood taunted him, all the ponies in school did that in one way or another. Big Macintosh hated Prince Blueblood because he was the only pony that got praised for taunting Big Macintosh.

The Prince was frail by the measure of any pony in Ponyville, he’d become frantic, howling in pain if he received so much as a scratch or bruise. This lead many to believe that he had some rare condition that made such injuries near fatal for him, which of course the Prince did all he could to encourage. Since Blueblood could die from just about any injury it made him the bravest soul the fillies and colts of the school had ever seen when he ‘stood up’ to Big Macintosh who could kill any pony with the faintest of blows. Big Macintosh hated this, no matter how much of an arrogant jerk Prince Blueblood was everypony like him better than the ‘monstrous’ Big Macintosh.

“Don’t you talk to the prince that way,” Chocolate Chips said stepping forward ready to defend his prince. Big Macintosh gave him a hard look but didn’t reply.

“Now, now no need for that,” Blueblood said peaceably playing his usual part as everypony’s best friend. “We were just about to play a game of Serpents and Steeds, Macintosh and thought you might like to join us. I thought you looked perfect to play the dragon, you might lack some of their more regal qualities, but as I said you definitely look the part.”

Blueblood and his friends laughed at that and Big Macintosh growled under his breath, he’d had enough. He charged at them rearing up on his hide legs, he might have been scrawny for his height but he was still bigger than any of them. Then he stomped the ground, his considerable strength causing the ground around him to shake and sending the three colts off balance. “Ah had enough of ya Blueblood, ya better back off or so help meh!” Big Macintosh roared.

Blueblood, who had looked quite shaken at the red colt’s charge, relaxed at Big Macintosh’s threat. Blueblood stood back up straight and scoffed the red earth pony, “We both know you won’t do anything, Macintosh, you’re nothing but talk and bluster.”

Big Macintosh started to reply, but nothing came out. Blueblood was right, Big Macintosh could shout and stomp all he wanted, but he couldn’t lay a hoof on anypony. As the silence hung in the air Big Macintosh became increasingly aware that a crowd of students had started to gather. He shot Blueblood one last glare then turned and started trotting away his head low.

Blueblood, however, wasn’t finished with him and quickly moved to trot next to the red earth pony. Looking down on him smugly the prince spoke in a low voice, “Bet it really tears you up that all these ponies, your ponies, like me and will never like you. That’s not surprising though when you think about it, monsters don’t have friends.”

Big Macintosh stopped and glared at Blueblood wishing he could buck the arrogant look off of the unicorn's face. However, as Blueblood’s words echoed through his mind he thought of Pinkamina, and Big Macintosh realized just how hallow the prince’s words really were, just like always. His features soften and Big Macintosh stood up to his full height now easily the one looking down. Smiling he spoke as if making a passing comment, “Ya know Blueblood ah do have one thin’ in common with dragons. Ah, can fly.”

A confused angry look spread across Blueblood’s face but before he could ask what Big Macintosh meant by that the red colt crouched down gathering all his strength and energy and launched himself into the air. Big Macintosh jumped in an incredibly high wide arch that carried the incredible pony out of sight. The other ponies, who had gathered around to watch the confrontation between the prince and the red colt, now muttered in awe of Big Macintosh.

Blueblood seethed as their words turned from fear to admiration as they watched Big Macintosh disappear from sight. The prince had noticed Big Macintosh’s mood improved over the past weeks, and he was the one pony who knew why. True to his word the prince had put Big Macintosh in his place after the red colt had rejected his first kind offer of friendship, it worked better than the prince had hoped; Big Macintosh sulking away at the end of most days. But one day after Big Macintosh very publicly stood up for himself to the prince, Blueblood decided to find out what had caused this change and followed the earth pony. He followed him through those filthy woods to that grungy little spot outside that sad little rock farm where Big Macintosh met up with that little pink filly. The monster had made himself a friend that was the cause of all the problems, but fortunately, Blueblood had an idea of how to deal with this problem. With an arrogant smile, Blueblood started to the Pie family rock farm.

---

Pinkamina watched intently as Big Macintosh prepared to perform the trick she had ‘talked’ him into performing.

Most ponies knew about Big Macintosh’s super pony strength, but few knew of his other incredible abilities. Even Big Macintosh himself didn’t know how it worked exactly or what to call it. It felt a lot like a build up of energy in the pit of his stomach that he could tap into if he needed. He never tired while it remained built up but there was much more to it than that, he could use the energy to exceed his physical abilities. Normally he wasn’t much faster of a runner than any other his size, but by tapping into this energy he could outrun anything on the ground, or like he had done to the prince, use it to propel himself to impossible heights. Finally, Big Macintosh could force the energy to manifest itself as a white hot light which he could shape and control with enough concentration; it was this last ability that Pinkamina wanted to see.

What was most unusual was how the energy built up. Rather than coming about through rest or eating this energy built up with every step he took and move he made, and the more forceful they were the more energy that would build up, which meant it eventually built up no matter what Big Macintosh did. Because of this every move the red colt made had to be careful and light not just to keep him from breaking things but to keep the energy from building up too fast. However, no matter how hard he tried to control himself the energy would eventually build up to the point where he had to release it, the energy was one of the few things that could hurt him if he let it built up too much.

Big Macintosh had learned to control it over the years, but only as much as he needed to. He liked to pretend it didn’t exist and so, for the most part, he ignored it until he needed to realize it. The only exception was when his sister, and now Pinkamina, begged him to put on a show for them. He just could resist either of them.

It was because of that he was now standing stiffly in his and Pinkamina’s secret meeting place concentrating on calling up the loathsome power. Finally, he stepped forward and stomped the ground with his hoof which sunk in and there was a flash of light as the energy moved from his body and into the ground. It cut through the ground in a jagged line then burst out. The energy was just a tiny ember, but then it exploded creating a shower of light like that of a firework. A few more embers burst forth from the ground exploding into fireworks as well. The show lasted only a minute, but Pinkamina watched it intently, a torrent of smiles welling up in her that never quite reached to surface.

When it was over Big Macintosh sat down on the ground a little out of breath not because the act was tiring, but because he had held his breath throughout the whole process. Pinkamina moved to sit down next to him and nuzzled his side; it was the most amazing thing she had ever seen. She knew that Big Macintosh didn’t like his special talents and it meant so much to her that he was willing to show them to her.

She looked up at him and frowned seeing the sad look on his face again, he got that look every time his thoughts dwelled on school. She poked him in the side with her hoof to get his attention and he looked down at her. He couldn’t help but smile, he could never help but smile whenever he looked into the pink filly’s face, but this time his smile was broken by the concerned look on her face. She wanted him to talk to her about what was bothering him.

Big Macintosh sighed and lay down staring at the ground; Pinkamina followed suit but continued to stare up at him. “Do ya think ah’m a monster Pinkamina?” He finally asked though he already knew what her answer would be. He looked over to see her shaking her head and giving him an almost critical look for even asking.

“Ah know ya don’t think ah am, but everypony else does. The ponies at school are all afraid of me and so are their parents, they want to get rid of me. ‘Course Blueblood’s right at the head o’ that stampede. Everypony loves ‘im as much as the hate me,” Big Macintosh’s voice was full of frustration. He glanced down at Pinkamina who looked down at the ground feeling her friend’s anger, “Ah just wish ah weren’t like this, the other ponies wouldn’t be afraid of me and things would just be so much better.”

Pinkamina suddenly jumped up and dashed around to stand in front of him shaking her head with more passion them the red colt had seen from her in all their time together. Self-doubt crept into him first and he thought that she was saying that she wouldn’t like him without his abilities or that the other ponies still wouldn’t like him even if he was normal. But he looked into those intense eyes that were only slightly dulled by the gray world she had grown up in and saw what she was saying. If it weren’t for his abilities they would have never met. Big Macintosh had never thought that every time he wished away his abilities he was wishing away Pinkamina. Maybe if he did not have them the ponies at school would be his friends, but they would never be the true friend Pinkamina had been. She liked him for who he was, weird powers and all.

Big Macintosh looked shamefully up at Pinkamina who met his gaze softly, “Ah... ah’m sorry Pinkamina... ah didn’t mean it that way. Yer mah best friend,” he said his head hanging low, “Ah don’t know what I’d do without ya.”

Big Macintosh was a little shocked when he felt her nose touch his and then move slightly up as she pressed her forehead to his. Pinkamina’s closed eyes opened and her big blue eyes met his green ones and they both couldn’t imagine ever wanting to leave the other’s embrace. Big Macintosh brought wonder she’d never imagined into Pinkamina’s life and she’d brought a strong stable base into his, they were so different and yet they fit together so well.

“What in sand stones is going on here?!” The angry voice cut through the pair like a saber, they looked up in dread to see Pinkamina’s father storming towards them. “You get away from my daughter right now!”

Big Macintosh jumped to his hooves and Pinkamina froze in terror at the sight of her angry father. “M... Mister Pie ah...”

“Shut your mouth boy,” Mr. Pie snapped cutting Big Macintosh off. “I know all about the Apple Family’s freak son and I am not letting you anywhere near my daughter. Come here Pinkamina.” Mr. Pie didn’t wait for her and snatched the little pink filly up by the scruff of her mane and turned to leave. Pinkamina gave a little squeak of pain as her father roughly picked her up in his haste to leave.

That little squeak hit Big Macintosh like a slap and anger washed over him. He glared at the stallion’s flank as he turned to leave. “Y'all put her down!” Big Macintosh snorted and stomped his hoof on the ground, the accompanying boom lent a heavy weight to his words.

Pinkamina’s father felt a dreadful fear pass over him as the ground shook beneath him, but he wasn’t about to be pushed around by some young buck. He put Pinkamina down so that he could speak properly and turned to face Big Macintosh. “What did you say to me?” He glared down at Big Macintosh; the full-grown stallion still had some height on the tall young colt.

“Ah’m not gonna let ya take her away from me!” Big Macintosh snarled up at the stallion snorting and pawing at the ground barely able to control his anger.

“You listen to me you little freak. Everypony else might be intimidated by you but I am not, so do not dare tell me what to do with my daughter!” Pinkamina’s father shot back using every ounce of his will not to shake in the very real dread Big Macintosh was causing him to feel.

Everything bubbled to the surface then, all the things Big Macintosh had tried to push away in his life. All the pain, loneliness, and anger came flooding back to him and all of it was directed at Mr. Pie. Big Macintosh would do whatever it took to keep from losing Pinkamina.

Pinkamina saw and felt this in a way only she could, all the pain and anger displayed on Big Macintosh’s face was enhanced through the unique connection they shared. Terror gripped the little pink filly watching her father and her best friend squaring off, she knew better than most how things would end and she knew she couldn’t let it happen. Before either of them could do anything Pinkamina jumped between then shaking her head wildly at Big Macintosh, her eyes growing watery.

At the sight of his friend’s sad blue eyes, Big Macintosh’s anger was instantly doused. He realized what he was about to do, his head sank and he backed away from her in shame not daring to meet her eyes. Pinkamina started to move towards him desperately wanting to comfort her friend.

“Pinkamina,” Her father’s sharp word called her back. She gave her friend one last sad look, but Big Macintosh still wouldn’t meet her gaze. She stepped back to her father’s side not wanting to cause another conflict.

Pinkamina’s father scolded her to hurry as they left, nudging her insistently forward every time she tried to look back. Big Macintosh watched sorrowfully as Pinkamina departed his life, the most powerful pony in unknown generations was completely helpless to stop it. When he was sure he couldn’t see her anymore he turned and somberly returned to the isolation of the Everfree Forest where monsters made their homes.

---

As Big Macintosh made his way through the forest every bad thing that had befallen him played out in his mind. The sight of the tree he’d destroyed in the orchard, the look of shock on his parent’s faces, the way they carefully watched him play with Applejack, the ponies at school whispering about him, Blueblood leading them all against him. Big Macintosh had pulled through all that, reasoning and accepting his fate. It had been hard but he survived, found Pinkamina and she truly was worth all the suffering, a pinkish silver lining in his world. Now she was gone as well and he was alone.

Finally, Big Macintosh couldn’t contain his anger any longer and he lashed out rearing up and kicking a nearby tree. It had no chance snapping at the base like a twig and fell to the ground with a thunderous crash. As if that tree were his mind, Big Macintosh went mad, kicking and bucking at everything around him snapping trees and crushing rocks like they were nothing. It gave him no pleasure and no relief only fueling his anger more. Finally when there were no more trees standing nearby for him to fell he began stomping on the fallen trunks snapping them under his powerful hooves.

Suddenly the ground gave way under his incredible power and he plummeted downwards slamming into a cold stone floor. It barely hurt him, but further fuelled his rage, this time he didn’t lash out with his hooves. The energy within him and been building with his anger and now needed to be released, and for the first time Big Macintosh wanted to release it. When he did his rage shaped the energy into an explosion of violent energy that destroyed everything it touched.

When the dust finally settled Big Macintosh stood at the center of a crater, all that was left of the cavern he’d fallen into. All around him was ruin; even the still standing trees at the edge of the crater were torn and destroyed by the debris of their fallen brothers, and turned up roots hung limply in the air torn from the life-giving ground. Big Macintosh dropped to the ground panting, not calm, but holding his anger back again, it was just as he had feared. He was a monster destined to bring only destruction and he deserved to be alone.

---

“Mah where in the Sam Hill is Big Macintosh. He should have been home hours ago. Mahhh!” Applejack turning from the window she was staring out and sidestepped the drooling mess of a little sister Apple Bloom.

Her mother sighed as she paced through her kitchen making supper for her family. “Like I said before Applejack, I’m sure you brother is fine and on his way home,” Valencia said with a reassuring smile, but in truth, she was even more worried than Applejack. Big Macintosh was never this late even after he began spending time with his mysterious friend, and there had been a loud sound echoing up from the Everfree Forest like the sound of a violent storm on the horizon. The sound had come and passed without a hint of a storm cloud, hardly lasting more than a few minutes, and as much as she tried Valencia couldn’t shake the feeling it had something to do with her son.

Applejack wasn’t any more satisfied with her mother’s answer this time then she had last heard it. She paced around the living room grumbling to herself about her brother getting to stay out and do whatever he wanted while she was stuck at home.

Eventually, she ended up back at the window she’d started from, but when she looked out of it this time she saw the unmistakable red form of her brother. “He’s here, Big Macintosh is home!” She shouted earning a curious look from Apple Bloom as she watched her sister dash to the front door.

Relief washed over Valencia hearing her daughter’s exclamation of her son’s return and she trotted over to the now open door to see her son coming up the path to their home. However, her relief faltered when she saw the state her son was in.

Applejack ran up the trail to meet Big Macintosh, too eager to notice the grim expression her big brother wore. “There y'all are Big Macintosh, where have ya been ah’ve been waitin’ forever!”

Big Macintosh didn’t stop, he didn’t give her a sly smile or a snarky comment like he usually did, nor did he pause to lift her up onto his back like he had for the past several weeks. Instead, he marched on towards the house his eyes half open watched the ground solemnly. Applejack followed after him, running circles around him trying to get his attention and calling out his name over and over.

By the time he reached the door Valencia was very concerned, she stepped aside to let him in and he continued through not pausing to say anything to her either. “Mackie what’s wrong, what happened?” She asked desperate to know what had caused such a change in her son.

“Nothin’,” Was all he said not even stopping to look at her as he started up the stairs to his room.

“Big Macintosh ya hold it right there!” Applejack shouted tearing into the house after her brother. She was yanked to a halt and looked back to see her mother had snagged her tail in her mouth.

“Applejack,” She said letting the blond tail go, “Your brother doesn’t want to talk about what’s bothering him. We should leave him alone for now,” Even as she said it Valencia looked as if she wanted to follow Big Macintosh and find out what had happened herself.

Applejack, however, had no patience to just wait and hope he decided to tell them what was wrong. “No! We’re his family and he shouldn’t keep anythin’ from us!” Applejack took off up the stairs before her mother could stop her again.

Though she didn’t understand what was happening Apple Bloom could feel the oppressive sadness and anger coming from her family and began to cry. Valencia turned from the stairway, abandoning any plans of pursuing her older children and returned to the living room to calm the distraught little foal.

Applejack reached her brother’s room as he was carefully and slowly pushing the door shut. “Hold it right there!” She demanded and pushed back with all her might to keep the door open. Of course, this made no difference and Big Macintosh continued to push the door shut like she wasn’t even there.

Applejack screamed in frustration banging on the heavy wooden door trying in vain to get it open and shouting for Big Macintosh to come out. Big Macintosh ignored his sister’s cries lying down in front of the door so nopony would be able to get in. He wanted to be left alone, but he knew that if he’d stayed in the Everfree Forest his family would eventually come looking for him and he didn’t want any of them to get hurt or lost because of him. Instead, he would stay there in his room hidden away from the world, where everypony would be safe from him.

---

A squirrel carefully made its way over the broken trees that lay on the edge of the newly formed Great Crater of the Everfree Forest. He had stayed away from it for several days since The Destroyer had been there for fear of his return, but after such a long silence he finally decided to brave the site and search for his hidden stash of nuts. He hopped from fallen log to fallen log looking for something he recognized, hoping that the knot hole hiding place was still intact.

A sudden roar caused the poor squirrel to nearly jump out of his sink and quickly duck under the fallen logs, for if The Destroyer had returned he didn’t wish to become the target of his wrath. There was another roar as the squirrel suddenly felt the logs shift around him, a considerable weight having come to rest on them. It didn’t sound like the destroyer, the squirrel could help his curiosity and dared take a peek at the creature.

The creature was huge and terrible, it had the head of a lion, ram, and a dragon, its tail was that of venomous snake. Its body was that of a lion with the wings of a dragon and the hind legs of a ram. The creature looked back at the crater that was all that remained of its home. Something had tried to bury it alive and had destroyed everything it had built. The monstrous creature would find out what had done this to its home and when it did, that creature would be repaid threefold.