• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 1,253 Views, 139 Comments

Pinkie Explores the Dark - David Silver



You are Pinkie Pie. You are about seven to twelve summers old, you never really kept super strict count of that. You spot a creepy house just outside your farmland and decide to have a little peek. -- Readers make the shots, this is a CYOA type story

  • ...
5
 139
 1,253

6 - Family

You reach up and yank the picture frame free of your mane and the colt perks up.

"What's that?"

You have no idea, and say as much even as you flip it over to reveal the picture to sight. The colt thumps softly, which is a trick being a ghost, against the back of his hiding spot. "Who are those?"

Examining the picture, you see a nice old-timey portrait of five ponies. There's a mare and a stallion standing side by side. There are three foals at their hooves of differing ages. One of them is immediately recognizable. It's the colt. Sure, maybe a summer or two younger, but him. You point it out to him, tapping the picture.

The colt steps closer. Why would a ghost need to step at all? Not your place to say. But there he is, stepping up and looking at his picture. "It is..." He reaches out and points at the mare. "Mom."

You point at the stallion beside her. "Dad?"

He swallows thickly. "I... remember... Mom said never to call him dad."

"Why?"

"She said never to call him dad," he repeats, looking haunted, which I maintain is a curious thing for a ghost to do.

"Alright, but let's pretend mom's not here right now. Is he your dad?"

He froze a moment. Ghosts don't need to breath, you know, so he is like a statue for a silent moment before he shudders from his spectral ears to his wispy tail. "Yes."

You feel a burst of joy. You're learning something! "Do you know why he's not here?"

The colt glances around. "No..."

You have the impression the colt is telling the truth. His family wasn't as awesome as yours, and they musta had a big fight or something. How awful! If you could, you'd give that colt such a hug, and maybe a 'Sorry your parents are fighting!' party. But there is another mystery! You point at the two fillies. "Which is your sister?"

He points at the larger of the two. "I forgot what she looks like... not burned." He suddenly sniffles, ghostly tears running down his face. "I need to go. You should too."

But who is the smaller filly? You ask as much, tapping the last pony to be identified.

But he doesn't answer. He darts from the room, right through a wall. Gone...

A familiar dread voice calls from above, "Are you making noise?! I'll tan your hide!"

You hear the clip-clops of hooves and hop into the cupboard the colt had occupied moments before. You pull it closed carefully and hide in the far corner.

Those steps come closer and closer. "Where are you? Come out and take your punishment like a good colt."

"I-I'm sorry mom..."

"Aw, I know you are. Why are you making so much noise today?" The voice sounds almost sympathetic.

"I... I miss sister."

"I do too..."

Things grow quiet. There was no sound of spanking or anything.

"You calm down now. Your sister brought this on herself, you know that. You be a good colt."

"M-mom?"

"Mmm?" Some of the mother's usual agitation showed in her tone.

"I... Can..."

"Out with it, foal!"

"Did I have two sisters?"

Something ceramic crashes against the wall above your hiding place. "He took her! He took her away, far away. He split you poor foals up! It's no wonder your other sister went mad and shoved you off the roof! N-now, look and see what I've done..." You can hear bits of ceramic being picked up. "No more talk of the past. There's nothing good back there."

"What was she like?" you can hear the colt asking with a shy but curious tone.

There is a moment of silence. "You... What's gotten into you?" You can hear her walking a little. "Has something bothered you, my child? This isn't like you."

"I... just wanna know what she was like."

"She..." The voice trails off and you hear sniffling, but it isn't the colt's. The older voice becomes soft sobs. "I miss her... Why have all my foals been taken from me?!"

You can hear the colt speaking, but it's too quiet to make out what he's saying. Whatever it is, the sobbing slowly dies down.

"Thank you... Your mother can be silly too sometimes. Come on, let's stop thinking about the past, alright?"

Trying to ignore the past is what's keeping them, all of them, locked right where they are. They're stuck in it! It was so obvious to anypony that wsn't involved. You want to burst out of there and start shouting, but that might not work so well. But... maybe you could slip the picture out where she'll see it without going out yourself?

You had to do something! Something!

Author's Note:

https://www.poll-maker.com/results951350x2974c139-40#tab-2

Time to look at that picture!


Pinkie must act! But which action?
1) Slip out the picture to be seen.
2) Burst out and say what's on your pink mind.
3) Wait until she's gone no matter how much you want to move.
4) Pretend to be the ghost of the lost filly.
5) Trip the mother with that string you've been saving.
6) Show the mother that doll you have.