• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 583 Views, 2 Comments

The Pony Express - Gear Spring



Apple Bloom and the Cutie Mark Crusaders embark on a magical train ride to the north

  • ...
 2
 583

Part 1

Swollen gray clouds permeate the starry blackened sky. Snowflakes gently fall from the heavens, floating along the wintry breeze. Each little frozen crystal cascades to the earth below, resting on mounds of chilled kin. The world is blanketed in a field of white, dazzling like little diamonds under the light of the full moon. Snow piles cover the trees barren of fruit and foliage. The entire grove is left like this, looking like an orchard of barked hands that are reaching to grasp at nothing.

This is the scene Apple Bloom sees as she stares out her window. Tucked in her blankets, only her head pokes out from the cocoon of comforters that she has weaved. It keeps a comforting warmth wash over her body, as she staves off the sand-pony’s spell. Her eyes get heavy, but she shakes her head to fight the call for slumber. Determined eyes continue to watch the window, ever vigilant.

“He’s real,” she whispers to herself. “He has to be real.”

While her eyes never look away from the chilled scene that sits just on the other side of the glass, her mind begins to wander. It reminisces of a time only a few days ago, just before the first snow began to fall…

Ice has already begun to frost the ground around the school yard. Not one of the many fillies plays outside, keeping warm within the four walls of their classroom. While they are attending school, the textbooks and lessons have been put aside this day. Instead of leading the students through a lecture, Miss Cheerilee takes charge with a rousing game for the holidays. Standing next to her is Snips with a cloth tied over his eyes. In between his bucked teeth is a pin with a paper flame. Laid out before him is an image of an empty hearth. Other ponies watch eagerly as he steps toward it. Completely left in the dark, he places it against the brick, pinning it in place. Removing his blindfold, he looks in dismay as other ponies snicker.

“That is a good try,” Miss Cheerilee says, before drawing her attention to the rest of the class, “Who wants to go next?”

Although most of the students rush for their turn, three friendly fillies hang toward the back of the classroom, out of ear shot of the others. The Pegasus, Earth Pony, and Unicorn are all huddled together with their matching Cutie Marks. Sweetie Bell picks her head up to make sure no one else is nearby, before joining her friends.

“This is what I saw,” she whispers to her friends. “I found that Rarity had my letter I wrote, and she had the post-pony deliver it to my parents.”

“So, what do you think that means?” Scootaloo asks.

Sweetie Bell whispers, “I don’t think there is actually a Santa Claws.”

“What!” Apple Bloom shouts, a bit too loud.

The teacher and some of the other students turn to look at them. Miss Cheerilee has a suspicious look upon her face as she stares them down. The Cutie Mark Crusaders hold their ground, serving her false smiles. Eventually their big grins fool her and the rest of the students, as they go back to the game. She hands Pipsqueak a flame pin to make his attempt.

Apple Bloom waits for a moment before saying, “How can that be true? If Santa Claws ain’t real, then who brings us presents on Hearth’s Warming?”

“Our families, of course,” Sweetie Bell Says. “I mean, if you think about it, the whole story is a bit farfetched.”

“Sweetie Bell,” Apple Bloom looks skeptical, “Our sisters have fought creatures with all sorts of crazy powers. Why is a gift-giving draconequus so unbelievable?”

“Well that’s exactly that,” Scootaloo jumps in. “We only know of one draconequus in Equestria. And I really don’t see Discord going out of his way to give gifts each year.”

“Doesn’t really scream chaos,” Sweetie Bell adds. “And besides, he only became good a few years ago, I doubt he was being nice before he was reformed.”

“Well, that may be true,” Apple Bloom looks a little disheartened. “But Apple Jack was the one who told me about Santa Claws. Why would she lie?”

“It’s not that she lied,” Scootaloo reassures her friend. “Maybe it is just like those scary stories Rainbow Dash told us a while back. He is like the Headless Horse; a fun story to tell fillies, but it is not necessarily real.”

“I, I guess,” Apple Bloom glumly says.

“Well,” Sweetie Bell starts to think a moment, “There is a way to know for sure.”

“How?” Scootaloo and Apple Bloom says simultaneously.

“We stay up on Hearth’s Warming Eve,” Sweetie Bell says, “And find out who actually puts out the gifts.”

“Fine with me,” Apple Bloom whispers sharply. “We will share whatever we find the next day, alright?”

Both girls nod in agreement.

Weary eyes look up to the clock hanging from her wall, seeing the time inches closer to midnight, the last minutes of Hearth’s Warming Eve coming to a close. Still the inviting warmth of sleep tries to pull her onto the pillow. Shaking her head, she decides to throw off the comforter. A chill ran through her body, making her mane stand up on end. She trots over to her closet at a brisk pace, finding a scarf and coat to keep the cold away.

As she wraps the warm cloth about her neck, she hears a sound coming from outside. Quickly, she races to the window. The glass is blocked by a wall of smoke, as all she is able to hear is a hiss of steam. Metal screeches against metal, as something large is pulled to a stop. After some time, the billowing smoke lessens, allowing the little pony to look down. Tracks have suddenly appeared, arching their way through her family farm. An enormous steam engine with metal as black as the night itself sits just outside her front door. Dozens of train cars line behind it, with the end lost in the trees.

That is when she sees a pony standing in the snow, looking right up at her. A gray unicorn dressed in blue holds a lantern aloft with the magic of his horn. He appears to be shouting, but the walls snuff out his voice. Apple Bloom, throws open her window. Wind slaps her in the face, along with the outside world.

“Are you coming?” the unicorn asks.

“Where?” Apple Bloom wonders.

“North,” he says. “You want to see him for yourself, right?”

“Who?”

He looks at her in disbelief, “Santa Claws of course. Now, are you coming?”

The little filly looks at him with wide eyes, “Yes, yes, I want to go.”

Before she knows it, she has her hooves deep in the snow, standing before the conductor with his lantern. Offering his hoof, he helps her onto the steps of the front car. As soon as she has them planted, he jumps on, and wraps a hoof around her.

“All aboard,” he shouts to the engineer. “All aboard the Pony Express. Next stop, the Crystal Empire!”