• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 2,622 Views, 205 Comments

Soul Reclamation Society - David Silver



Have you lost a dear one long before their time? Accidents, monsters, foreign attack... they can all leave you with a hole in your heart. We can fill it, and give your loved one another chance.

  • ...
26
 205
 2,622

8 - Case 04: Thriving

Robert showed up for his first true day of work, wary, but ready. The older stallion met him at the door and began showing him how the register worked, which was not as similar to a human one as one might think. Still, the basics were there, and Robert soon felt confident enough to man the station.

"I'll be in the back," reported the owner. "I've been meaning to do a full cleaning and organization, but I haven't had time, what with me watching the front and not wanting to come in on the closed days. Thankfully, you're here, so you keep things straight up here, and I'll get to it." He lifted a hoof to point to a guitar that hung over the back wall. "By the way, if anypony asks about that, it's not for sale. This ain't that kind of store and she's mine."

Off he went, leaving Robert to sit there. Most of the day was just that, waiting for someone to come in. It made Robert laugh. It was just as boring as when he was a human, though he had wings to stretch and flap and feathers to preen to pass the time.

A bell rang. It was the front door. A pony that looked like she was going full goth wandered in. "Hey, where's the old stallion?" she asked on seeing Robert in the usual spot.

Robert's ears lifted. "He's in the back. How can I help today?"

She rolled her eyes. "Guess I don't need him specifically. Did the new song, Night of the Timberwolf, come out?"

He didn't know that off the top of his head, but he was fairly sure where it would be, so he hopped off the cushion that was his seat and went trotting over to the goth section. He hooved through it a moment before the mare behind him snorted. "What?" he asked, looking back at her.

"Why aren't you using your wings? Are they hurt?"

Robert blinked softly.

She approached with a bemused expression. "This kind of work, I don't know any pegasus that doesn't use their wings to speed things up." She reached out a spiked-collared hoof and poked his right wing just so to make it spring out, then nudged it over to the case. "They don't look hurt."

Why was this strange mare touching him, and trying to give him advice all of a sudden? Ponies were odd. Hoping to mollify her, he brought both wings forward and brushed them over the records. Focused on the task, he found the leading feathers could indeed slip in and pull or push, like fingers. He had hands the whole time?! Sort of.

The goth flipped her hair aside. "That's more like it. Now, is it there?"

Giddy with the idea of having hands of a sort back, Robert eagerly leafed through the covers and pulled out the song the goth was looking for. "Here we are!" He saw a price written on it and quoted it for her.

"Sure thing." She pulled a few coins from her pocket and slapped it down on the counter. "I've been waiting the whole week for this one. I hear it's real, you know?"

'Real' was a keyword that remained true across worlds, and Robert nodded to her as he surrendered the record. "Enjoy it, and tell me how it went."

"I will," She turned for the exit and got to walking. "Hey, take it easy."

It was his first customer, but far from the last. He greeted each as they came in, got them the music they wanted, and sent them on their way. It was simple, but each pony left with a smile, as opposed to the human customers who often could never be pleased. Well, except one pony. He didn't have the record for the stallion, and he grumbled the whole way out, but Robert still called the day a success.

The next day was much the same, and the one after that. He had found a groove, and he was getting comfortable in it.

Then she came in.

It was a pony he knew. DJ Pon3, AKA, Vinyl Scratch. Her headphones were on, as always, and with them, her head bobbed softly to the tune of whatever she was listening to. She stopped though when Robert came into view. It must have surprised her at least as much as Robert, as a word spilled from her lips. "Aqua?"

Robert frowned. "Robert. What can I get for you?" Bad history or not, he didn't want to be fired for being snippy with a customer.

Vinyl seemed to regather herself and gave the softest cough before she nodded and moved past, browsing the aisles slowly. It was awkward, having her there. Why her, of all ponies. She was one of the few that knew Robert's start in Equestria. He was doing better, dammit. He didn't want to face that past.

She sudden gave a whistle, drawing his attention to a record player. She was holding up a record in her magic and pointing at it.

What was she asking? Oh! "Yeah, sure, go ahead."

Vinyl gave a pleased nod before she set the record down and moved the needle over with her magic. Soon the store began to fill with lively tunes. It wasn't techno at all. It was more like an old timey quartet. Robert felt compelled to laugh at how unexpected it was.

His boss suddenly poked in from the back. "Who--Oh! Miss Scratch, lovely to see you." He quickly approached Vinyl. "I hope my new cashier hasn't been bothering you."

She shook her head and gave a hoof's up gesture at Robert before offering that same hoof to the boss. They hugged briefly before she began to point at things.

"Things are good, real good. You wouldn't believe it, this pegasus here literally comes out of the sky and fills the vacancy I didn't even know I had." He looked to Robert. "Hey, how're our sales for the day?"

Robert pressed a button that made a total pop up and he said it out loud.

"Huh, not bad. Here I was, thinking you were maybe fibbing about the retail experience." He raised a brow. "Or maybe customers just dig your mane style, either way. Vinyl! What's going on with you?"

They talked, even if it was one sided with Vinyl not speaking, but the air was thick with friendliness.

Robert stopped paying much attention to them until he saw magic wrap around the guitar and pluck it from the wall. "H-hey! That's not for sale."

The boss held out a hoof. "It isn't, but Miss Scratch here, for her, she can borrow it."

Vinyl nodded softly as she fastened it to her side, somehow. Ponies.

He put a leg around her neck and hugged her. "She has a concert and she really wants a classic instrument for it, and it doesn't get much better than that. You just take care of it, alright? It has a lot of sentimental value."

Vinyl gave a sharp salute, then trotted from the store. Along the way she glanced at Robert, but she didn't slow and was soon gone.

"So, you know her?"

Robert started, not noticing his boss had been approaching. "Y-yeah. She was one of the first ponies I met here, in Equestria."

"Huh, you need to tell me where you're from some day. Good mare, that one. Not big on words, but big on heart, and she lives for music. You can't argue that."

The day ended peacefully, and Robert went home just a little richer. He was paying off his rent, eating, and stashing some aside for Dr. Fetlock. He hadn't forgotten her. In fact, he had a better idea of exactly what he wanted.

It would be one part revenge of sorts, but mostly just hot and fun. He had a life, finally, and he was going to make the most of it.

"Excuse me."

Robert stopped on the sidewalk. He had been on his way to work. Before him was Twilight Sparkle. The Twilight sparkle. "Uh, yeah?"

Twilight was squinting at him. "Aren't you Aqua? No! You're--"

Robert popped his hoof in the princess' mouth as he had seen many other ponies do before. "Stop that right there. I'm Robert. I'm not causing anyone any trouble."

Twilight stepped back from that hoof. "So you are him." She tilted her head left and right. "Are you... alright?"

Alright? Robert's ears twitched fitfully. "You care?"

"Why wouldn't I?" Twilight sat up. "It was my spell that caused... this." Her ears went down. "I never had a chance to apologize."

Robert shook his head. "You made those? The figures?"

Twilight smiled awkwardly. "Sort of. I cast the spell here, and it became figures in your world. I had no idea it would work that way. Still... I was worried. I know you... did some unkind things, but you're still an alien in a strange land, with nopony. I was worried you might get hurt, or lost, or worse."

Robert quirked a little smile. There was Twilight, the queen of all Mary Sues, worried for him. It was touching in a way. "I'm alright. I have an apartment to myself, and a job."

"Oh, what kind?" she asked, perking up.

"Didja find somethin?" came the voice of Applejack as she emerged from the crowd. "Oh, hey there."

Twilight gestured at Robert. "Meet Robert, a human I partially caused to be here."

Applejack blinked rapidly. "What? Oh! The, uh, not-Aqua." She looked Robert up and down quickly. "Huh, looks just like 'em."

Robert shook his head. "As she said, I'm Robert. Hey, Applejack."

Applejack recoiled. "How'dja know mah name?"

Twilight answered that before Robert could. "Humans from his world know about ours, especially myself and my friends, which includes you, of course. It's odd to think about, but we're celebrities where he's from."

Applejack colored. "Well shoot!"

Robert held up a hoof. "Relax. I'm not here to fawn over either of you. Nice to meet you, Applejack, Twilight."

Both mares nodded at him before Applejack took a step forward. "There's a unicorn in town grabbing more humans, just like you, and turnin' them inta ponies. We're here to stop her. Have ya seen her by chance?"

Robert had, of course, but he wasn't so eager to have Dr. Fetlock stopped. "Oh yeah, dark mane, with stripes going lengthwise?"

Applejack perked up. "That's the one! Where is she?"

Robert pointed off in an uncertain direction. "She said something about Vanhoover."

Both sagged. Applejack threw her hat on the ground. "Consarnit!"

Twilight put a hoof on her back. "Stay calm, we'll catch up with her. Thank you, Robert. Have a nice day, alright."

The two left and Robert let out a sigh of relief. He planned to get his mare, darn it. He couldn't have Twilight come in and spoil the whole thing with the power of Deus Ex Machina and rainbow his plans to bits.

But that was for another day. That day was for working. He had bits to save.

Author's Note:

Remember when Twilight said she's go track down Dr. Fetlock?

Peppridge Farm remembers.

Robert feed her a typo and sends her on her way.