• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 2,623 Views, 205 Comments

Soul Reclamation Society - David Silver



Have you lost a dear one long before their time? Accidents, monsters, foreign attack... they can all leave you with a hole in your heart. We can fill it, and give your loved one another chance.

  • ...
26
 205
 2,623

5 - Case 03: Moonshine

There he was, watching some Netflix. It was alright, but wasn't keeping his attention. Well, why not browse and watch at once? He pulled out his phone and got to doing just that, and there it was.


Had he clicked an ad? He must have. There was a cheap site right out of the 90s, proclaiming you could be any pony you wanted! Provided they were listed on the page. The page had a lot of ponies listed, but was missing most of the 'mane' or 'important' ones. No Luna, no Twilight, huh…


He scrolled down the page. A few of the characters were grayed out. He clicked on one of those images. Nothing. Perhaps the site was defunct?


A helpful little voice spoke out of his phone, "We're sorry, but that pony isn't requested at this time. Please find another. We'd love to have you in Equestria, but only good ponies need apply."


Huh. He scrolled even farther down. The ponies were sorted by occupation, and there was nothing cool! If you’re going to become another species, why be something lame, like a nurse. What about a guard?


That’d be cool. Maybe a bat-pony. Fighting night monsters would be awesome.


As he scrolled through the list, a likely candidate came into view. There was a bat pony! A mare, by the shape of her. She had her wings out in fierce demonstration to the 'camera'. The text beside her read:

Looking to adopt, infertile. You will be ten moons in age and in a loving household. We want a filly that's bold and courageous. She'll drive us a little wild with her endless curiosity and drive, but we'll love her for it. Please be good and kind to your fellow ponies.

Maybe… no. He shouldn’t.


But then it would nag him. What’s the worst that could happen?


Almost shuddering in anticipation, he tapped the icon.


He was drawn suddenly free as if on a breeze that blew from and to nowhere at all. The world he had known had been surrendered at his own will, and he felt like he was flying through nothing at all. To call it black would have implied it had a color. It did not. It was boiling hot yet freezing cold. Vacuum was both, yet this had weight to it.


In that yawning nothing, he felt something new pressing and prying at the edges of his very being. Finally! Something after nothing for infinite time. Images of the filly he could be came to mind. Wouldn't it be nice to be that? To have parents that cared genuinely and to have your life ahead of you, vast and full of potential. It would be an adventure. Just like the camping trip he had taken when he was… seven? Five? It did not matter anymore. She was Moonshine and did not yet know five or seven.


As he, no, she, accepted the position imposed, their form began to change in heaves and twists. It felt like she was in a vice, body being compressed to force it smaller and smaller even as limbs and bones snapped and reshaped in violent motions. It was anything but pleasant, but the image of what she would became remained strong, as if to remind her that the suffering would be worth it.


She would be loved.


Instantly, everything coalesced into one point. And that one point expanded. It was light and it was bright. Too bright. She began to wail.


“Moonbeam! Moonbeam! A little foal is on the circle!”


“Fetlock did it?”


“She did it!”


“Celestia! Honey, we’re parents!”


The light faded, revealing Moonshine in the center of the circle Dr. Fetlock had used the other times. The doctor smiled down at the filly. "Now aren't you adorable?" Even as the parents rushed to agree, Fetlock kept her eyes on her subject. "I'm going to send you home, with your parents. They will protect and care for you, and you will be a good filly for them. Doesn't that sound wonderful?" She punctuated the last word with a soft puff, blowing her hair free of her eyes.


Moonshine quieted down. “Auogh.”


“Sea Island, I think your daughter may have just given me diabetes.”


“Give or take ten years, and she’ll be getting all the colts, ma’am. The process went through very well,” the doctor said. She brought down a hoof, banishing the lit circle. Without even having to say, the parents rushed to claim their foal and hold her close. "I trust you are satisfied?"


“Oh yes, so very much. Thank you doctor.”


“I only do what my talent dictates. Thank you for the upfront payment, again.”


Once the two happy ponies had left, their wings fluttering with excitement, Dr. Fetlock pulled her clipboard over with a shine of her horn.

Case 03: Success. Continue monitoring. Subject could prove volatile once speech is regained. Suspect complete integration before then. Young subjects are viable, and profitable. Consider taking more.

With her note down, Fetlock let the clipboard fall as her eyes darted to her flank. There lay the mark of her destiny. It showed the outline of a pony, just the outer line of one where a pony should be. She smiled.


She would fill those holes.

Author's Note:

Dr. Fetlock continues with her mad schemes. Is she making happy endings?

She sure is making bits. Bits are happy, right?

This was a collab! Want to be first in line for such, check out my atreon.