• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 2,622 Views, 205 Comments

Soul Reclamation Society - David Silver



Have you lost a dear one long before their time? Accidents, monsters, foreign attack... they can all leave you with a hole in your heart. We can fill it, and give your loved one another chance.

  • ...
26
 205
 2,622

1 - Case 01: Big Mcintosh

The orange earth pony mare squirmed a little in her chair. She had her stetson in her hoof over her chest and looked towards the unicorn that might have answers. "So, can ya do it?"

She blew a black and blue lock out of her eyes. "Of course. We wouldn't make such a promise without being certain." She approached the farmer with slow steps. "As my name is Doctor Fetlock, your loved one will be returned to you. There is, however, a catch."

Applejack scowled. "Ain't there always. What is it, ya want mah farm or somethin'?"

Fetlock waved a hoof as she laughed. "No! No. What use would I have for that? The bits will please me, however, the process is more complicated than you might think. We will conjure a spirit of sorts."

"Mah brother's spirit?!" blurted Applejack, her eyes wide.

"That is a good way of thinking of it." Fetlock nodded as she circled Applejack's chair. "They will be confused, and act strangely. They won't even look right. In fact, they will look very very strange indeed, but that is how spirits function. You will take them home and teach them." She suddenly paused and a smile spread. "No, more of reminding them. Remind them who they are, and as they come to remember, they will become more and more the pony you desire."

Applejack's eyes followed the 'doctor' as she went around the front of her chair. "Most doctors ah know don't really deal with spirits."

"Most doctors you know can't do a thing for your brother."

Applejack winced at the barbed point. "True... Will... Will it really be him?"

Fetlock shoved a clipboard with a thick collection of papers on it towards Applejack. "Sign here and we'll make it happen. After that, it's up to you."

Applejack let out a little sigh. Large parts of her were screaming that it was wrong, so wrong, and yet... The idea of living without her beloved brother, let alone little Apple Bloom not having her big brother, it was too much. As much as she had made airs of being a strong independent mare, it was a big farm, and being one set of hooves down also hurt. It hurt on every level. She wanted her brother back...

She grabbed the pen provided in her mouth and started filling out the form.

Cause of Death: ______

"Do ah have to fill that?"

Fetlock nodded. "We must ensure we contact the right spirit. Every question should be filled to the best of your ability."

Applejack began to tell the tale of her big brother, writing how he had gone to make the delivery of pies. He had all the supplies. He had the whip. He had the rubber boots. He had everything, but it didn't work out... He never made his delivery. The farm was out the bits for the order, and a beloved brother. They had done it so many times before, but.... there they were.

Applejack quickly brushed away the tears she had shed on the paper, leaving a few streaks. "Shoot, that ain't gunna ruin it, ah hope?"

Fetlock shook her head. "It's only natural. Please, continue."

AJ filled in all the vital details it asked for. Height, weight, length, coloration and cutie mark. It even asked for disposition and habits and other questions about him as a pony. An hour had slid by as she described Big Mac in just about every way. With the last answer completed, Applejack sat back a moment. "Alright."

Fetlock's horn glowed as she gently snatched the clipboard. "Thank you. And the payment?"

Applejack raised a brow. "Now, ah may be a mite upset, but ah ain't an idjit, and ah know a con. Ah'll gladly pay... after ah get mah brother back, not before."

Fetlock's pristine expression sagged into a moment before it bounced back into a bright smile. "You are my first customer, so, yes, I understand your doubt." She waved the clipboard lightly. "I will take the risk. We will bring your brother back to you, but you must promise to help endorse it, if it works, which it will."

Applejack tapped her chin. She didn't want to endorse anything again unless she was absolutely sure. "Ah'll be the judge if it works or not. But if it does... ah'll do that."

Their hooves met with a loud clop before Fetlock turned away. "I will begin the summoning straight away. You'll go home with what will be your brother. Just remember, he will be confused, ugly, and erratic. It's up to you to tame him and remind him. He'll return to being your loving sibling."

It sounded too good to be true, which meant it probably was. Applejack was on high alert even as Fetlock sauntered out of the room and left her alone and waiting.

Fetlock brushed a hoof over a switch, summoning the lights in her work area. She looked over the intricate patterns on the ground and nodded at them. Ready, she moved to sit in a small circle outside the larger one. She began to recite the information given on the pad, her horn rippling with strange light as she sent the words across the spread of realities.

Her message was long and precise, but boiled down to a simple idea. Who wanted to be Big Mcintosh? Who was willing to come to Equestria and assume that role.

Her words caused the crystals dangling from the ceiling to start glowing with spectral hues. The magic flowing from her caused them to sway and shake and dance with one another without ever colliding.

The circle began to glow as if the patterns were being slowly filled with molten silver. She had a match. It was coming. Fetlock increased the volume of her words as she kept working down the sheets of information. She wanted a perfect match. Fetlock felt the barrier between there and the next world begin to distort. It was time. She plunged a hoof down with a terrific clop, and it broke.

That distended air burst free and a human form was spat out onto the ground. It was human. That was already changing. Equestria would not tolerate the presence of a creature that did not belong there. The male sat up, blinking, even as his ears began to grow red fuzz over them. "Where am I?"

Fetlock pointed at him. "You're here because you want to be."

"I do?" He focused on the unicorn before him. "Holy hell! A unicorn!" He scrambled backwards, only to hit the side of the summoning circle and find it solid as any wall.

Fetlock smiled gently. "That I am, but you have nothing to fear from me. I'm here to give you exactly what you want. You wouldn't be here if you didn't want to be a pony on some level, specifically a big... handsome stallion with red fur and amazing strength."

The human's ears began to lengthen slowly, an action that he could clearly feel as a hand snapped up to swat at the ticklish sensation and he paled. "You're turning me into a pony?!"

"You are." Fetlock swiveled an ear at him. "You will be what you want to be. You will be Big Mac."

"B-but... isn't there already a Big Mac? I don't--"

Fetlock put a hoof on the circle, the air rippling around the point of contact. "Your sister is here, waiting for you. She loves you dearly, Big Mac. All you have to do is listen to her, follow her, and accept this life."

"A-Applejack?" The human flushed. He'd have Applejack as a sister? It was wrong! He wasn't Big Mac. He was... He was....

He sank to the ground, face a mask of confusion and horror. He couldn't remember his name. "Who am I?"

"Big Mcintosh," provided Fetlock helpfully. "You are the brother of Applejack, of the Apple family. Apple Bloom, your little sister, misses you terribly since you've been away so long after that delivery."

Big Mac thought back over his life even as his ears extended and curled, slowly taking a more pony shape. He had worked long and hard to become manager at a clothing store. Applejack was so proud of him when he had come home to tell her the news.

W-wait, was that right? He could imagine her bright face beaming with pride. Little Apple Bloom was there too. She teased him about having such a 'girly' job, but she was proud too, in her own way. He had a girlfriend... what was her name? Sasha. Yes. The image of a human felt odd next to all the visions of his pony family, but there she was.

"I had a girlfriend," he said out-loud, trying to figure things out.

Fetlock shook her head. "Don't be silly. You had a marefriend." She flipped through her notes quickly. "Ah, yes, you've had your eyes on Miss Cheerilee, a teacher from the local school."

The human that was becoming Big Mac knew Cheerilee, and his girlfriend's memory was replaced instantly. That seemed more natural. Of course his girlfriend was a pony too. That just fit... Those pretty flowers, that hopeful smile. She always cared about the chil--foals.

Fetlock smiled, watching the human dig through muddled memories. "Are you ready to meet your sister?"

"Huh? Yeah."

"That's 'Yup'."

Big Mac blushed. Of course. Since he'd learned to listen more and speak less, that's all he needed most of the time. "Ayup." He felt a pain and looked back as something burst free of his pants. A long tail formed and gave a sway. He had Big Mac's tail, his tail. He always wanted a tail. He always had a tail? He decided he just liked his tail.

Deciding the human was safe, Fetlock dismissed the circle, causing it to fade back to dark lines. "Come. She'll be so happy to see you."

Back in the other room, Applejack was getting bored out of her mind, and doubtful beside. She let out a low grunt as she hopped to the ground. "Bet that charlatan's busy--"

The door opened. Her eyes snapped over to see Fetlock and... something curious. It had two legs. It also had Big Mac's ears and tail. Could that really be? It was so... funny looking. "Big Mac?"

The human nodded. "Yup." He took a step towards her. "Applejack?" He'd always wanted to meet Applejack. Applejack was his sister. Those two things didn't quite mesh up right and left him staggered and confused.

Fetlock walked past him. "As I warned, he will be confused and lost. Take care of him, remind him, and love him. He'll come around."

Applejack gave the barest hint of a nod. It was like seeing a ghost. Could that really be her brother? "A-ah ain't payin' a bit until ah'm sure!" She trotted up to the human and reached up a hoof to touch one of his hands. "Where do you live?"

He blinked and gave an address but ended it with, "on the Apple Farm."

Applejack hiked a brow. "Ya got the address all mixed up, but the last part's right." She could doubt and poke and prod, but she was hurting, and she wanted her brother. If that was the way to get him back... "Come on, brother. Ah'll help ya remember."

Fetlock watched with a smile as Applejack and her would-be brother departed. Once they were out of sight, she clopped her hooves together. Things were looking up!

Author's Note:

Welcome to a new story! Love, hate? Let me know.

Want to support? Check out my atreon! You could be part of this story, or get your own story written up.

Speaking of which, should we follow Big Mac along, or move on to the next case? Have a pony you want to be the next case? Tell me!