• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 26,864 Views, 1,146 Comments

A Dream of Dawn - Starsong



What if Luna won against Twilight? What happens when Discord comes back?

  • ...
30
 1,146
 26,864

The Taste of Apples

Nightmare Moon

The thoughts of the old world lingered in Nightmare Moon's mind, but the faces of her friends and lands she once traveled remained as ghosts. She ignored her memories as best she could and took curious interest in the lands that they traveled, and heaved a sigh of relief that they were not born from her own thoughts. The hills turned into gentle steppes, and on each row rose tilled earth and lush greenery. A host of faint pony silhouettes worked among them, seeding plots, tending patches, and harvesting dozens of different plants. Watermelon, squash, lettuce... even the wilder berries ran in neat rows one after the other. And at the bottom of the basin began a sprawl of fruit and nut trees that continued to the limits of their vision.

“Why the hay do ponies need to grow things when there's food all around?” asked Scootaloo, shouldering her way down the steppes.

“Everything's just better when an earth pony is behind it,” said Sweetie Belle. The specters didn't seem to mind when she shoved several strawberries in her mouth and made a happy sound. They seemed pleased with her response, though they largely poured themselves into their work.

Apple Bloom's eyes locked upon the orchard as she wandered down, weaving between plant and spirit with practiced care. “I don't think an earth pony is happy unless she can bury herself in her talent,” she said. “They're probably just doing what makes 'em happy.”

“It's about more than a few crops,” agreed Nightmare Moon. She glided down the slope and tried not to mind as the pony-spirits shied away from her. “It's about creation. Earth ponies imbue themselves in whatever they do. They can bring life where there should be none. And they find great joy in doing so.”

Apple Bloom paused for a moment and turned, regarding her blank flank. “Must be nice,” she said. “To have something special...”

But what does it mean if no one appreciates it? Nightmare Moon followed after the fillies, wandering through the orchard. She drew in a breath of air perfumed with the ripest of apples and it roused her hunger. But even the urge to eat felt numb to her. How lucky they are, so far from home, to still have one another. They do not even realize it.

The young earth pony stopped at an apple tree and looked up into its branches, as if spellbound by the shape of the apples there. She sat between the roots and struggled against some emotion.

“Is there something the matter?” asked Nightmare Moon, finding herself checking her tone. “It is just a tree, child.”

“I know,” said Apple Bloom, looking back up at her. “It just reminds me of home.” She paused and put a hoof on the tree. “D'you think that's why we ended up here? 'cos I can't stop thinking about my sister. If something happened to her... I'm worried about my whole family.”

Nightmare Moon shook her head. “If something had happened to them, then no doubt we would have met them here,” she said, though she was not sure she believed it. “Unless that happens, they are probably fine. It is our own fate we should be worried about.”

Her words did not seem to affect the filly. “I keep expectin' to see her,” she said. “Or Big Macintosh or Granny Smith... just turn a corner and there they'll be. And I don't think I could take that.” She bit her lip. “And the rest of my family, those that were gone before I was born. Maybe they're here. I wonder if I could see them. Or if they'd know me, or if I'd even want to see them. I'm just scared.”

“Yeah, well, so are we.” Scootaloo came back and sat beside her. “I'm trying not to think about it. We just need to get through this.”

Sweetie Belle followed next. “I can't stop myself, either. We're not supposed to be here or see any of this. It's not fair.”

“We just have to stick together,” said Scootaloo.

The three of them sat in front of the apple tree with their backs turned to Nightmare Moon. She stood beside them and curled her wing around to shade them, as if trying to stand between them and the rest of the world.

One moment you are a child, playing and living completely within the fields of your youth, she thought, and then you find yourself within something so much bigger than yourself. It's terrifying. It's so big and strange and makes no sense and in the end it changes you completely. And the little one is right. It isn't fair. They should not have to bear this burden. We should never have...

Apple Bloom laughed a little and the two fillies, and Nightmare Moon, looked at her.

“What is it?” asked Nightmare Moon.

The young filly turned and planted herself against the crook of the tree. “I was just thinkin' about my sister,” she said. “When I was younger I liked to play in the orchard. And she didn't mind so long as I didn't get in the way. One day though I was trying to get her attention and accidentally knocked over some of the barrels she'd been working with, and they go rolling down this hill, into a trench... oh, the sound was awful.” She laughed again. “Three broken barrels and a whole pile of ruined apples. She must have been in a bad mood because she threw her hat down and just started hollering at me. I don't remember what we said all that well, but I got scared and ran off and hid in one of the barns.

“I get in one of these nooks and lay perfectly still, and all the while I can hear her yelling and getting madder and madder and telling me to come out. 'course I don't budge an inch. I'm so worried about what's gonna happen. I stayed in there till the sun was going down. I thought my sister got tired of yelling.”

Apple Bloom scuffed the grass beneath her with a hoof. “Then I hear something. I creep a bit closer and I can hear Applejack. She's crying and saying she didn't mean any of what she said and that she just was yelling because she was worried and wanted me to come home." The little filly sighed. "I felt so terrible I came out of my hiding place and she hugged me up tight. We spent the whole night talkin' and I promised never to hide or run away again.”

Nightmare Moon chewed her lip. Sometimes it felt like she'd had spent more days fighting with Celestia than getting along with her. Somehow, though, she just understood what Applebloom meant. And the fillies did as well.

“Now that I think of it,” said Apple Bloom, looking her way, “it's kinda like that with you, isn't it?”

Nightmare Moon frowned and chewed her lip, fighting down a boil of rage. “Are you suggesting we are hiding from our sister?”

The filly shook her head. “No,” she said. “I think that you act so angry because you're actually really scared. And that maybe you don't mean to do anything bad, and you just want your sister back, and...”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “It's not like she broke a few barrels,” she muttered. “Take a look around you, Apple Bloom. This is way different.”

“Is it though?” asked the little filly.

Nightmare Moon found herself staring at the grass beneath them. She had found herself within a deep rage for a millennium, so long that it had practically become her. She did not know if she could exist without it. Perhaps she is right. Would we tell anypony? No. We are angry. But we are also afraid.

“It is different,” she said at last, sitting down as well. “You spent a few hours hiding in a barn. Celestia... my sister imprisoned me in the moon for a thousand years.” She looked upon the children she had taken from their homes, from their loved ones, and her stomach felt like ice. And we... I'm not so sure she made the wrong decision.

“It's not like we can just hug and make up and forget about it all,” said Nightmare Moon.

Apple Bloom frowned. “Well why not?”

Nightmare Moon shook her head. “It's too much to forgive,” she said. “Too much to forget, and too much time has passed.”

“It doesn't matter,” said Apple Bloom, “if ya'll still love each other, it is that simple. Don't you think she wants you back?”

She was not certain. When she had come back after a thousand years, all she wanted to see was her sister. For revenge, for anger, or for whatever reason. But Celestia wasn't there. Celestia abandoned her. And yet... the Elements of Harmony did not return her to the moon. They offered her a way to return to Equestria, and she refused it.

No. I can't dwell on that... she squeezed her eyes shut and forced her sadness back into the void of herself.

“I don't know,” she said. “We will see when we find her, I imagine.”

Apple Bloom nodded. She turned and gave the tree a fierce kick, and the other ponies jumped. Though it seemed like she should not have been strong enough to shake it, a single apple fell from above. She plucked it up, the stem in her teeth, and offered it out to Nightmare Moon.

“What are you doing?” whispered Scootaloo.

Nightmare Moon took the apple between her hooves and considered it. Her stomach rumbled and she ignored it, as if it were some distant sound. Apple Bloom moved back and watched her.

“I think I understand a little bit,” she said. “She took us away but she's also been taking care of us. We need her and she needs us. We should try to become friends.”

“Are you forgetting all that we went through?” Scootaloo's little wings flicked. “Because of her?”

“I understand where you're coming from,” said Sweetie Belle, promptly hiding behind Scootaloo. “But she's got a point.”

“If it were me, would'ya still say that?” said Apple Bloom.

Scootaloo stamped her hooves. “That's not at all--”

“It could have been.” Apple Bloom shrugged. “Look around you. Seems to me we don't have anything to count on but each other. Might be the only thing we've got is love. If there's a reason for us to be here, then maybe that's it.” Her cheeks turned red. “I kinda mangled the words, but that's something Applejack would say... I figure she's right.”

Is she serious? thought Nightmare Moon. But at the same time she felt a little embarrassed, and a little grateful to hear the filly speaking out for her. She remained silent and watched them converse.

“I admit I feel sorry for her,” said Scootaloo. She pushed her way by Apple Bloom and looked up at Nightmare Moon. “But if Apple Bloom is right, she can't just speak for you. You have to say it yourself.”

The dark mare dropped the apple and leaned back instinctively. “Ah...” she swallowed. She felt her feelings more ancient, more complicated than the children could have ever known. But they were trying to understand her. Scootaloo was not cowering before her, not falling into subservience, but trying to connect. The little pegasus was breaking every notion of manners, and yet she was not offended.

Still, they would not understand. They may not even accept me... She looked across the three of them and made up her mind. “Yes. I want you to stay with me.”

“As more than just your hostages?” insisted Scootaloo.

Nightmare Moon flinched, and gave a nod. “Yes,” she said. The words may have sounded insufficient to them, but for her, it was a monumental effort. Every nerve in her fought to keep her silent, to keep her from letting another pony into her life. But it was either that or remain alone.

“Then that's good enough for me,” said Scootaloo, shutting her wings in a snap. “We're all in this together. And that means finding your sister as soon as possible.” The pegasus' own stomach growled and she flustered.

Apple Bloom laughed. “That also means staying fed.”

The filly bucked a few more apples from the tree and the two of them went about gathering a small smorgasbord of fruits and vegetables taken from the nearby gardens. Sweetie Belle sat quite still and kept looking up at Nightmare Moon, who worked her way through the apple as if eating were a new and delicate experience. Each burst of juice in her mouth filled her with a certain nostalgia for life, and the sweet cider-like pulp that pleased her senses.

“What is it?” she asked, once she'd polished it down to the core. Sweetie Belle squeaked and looked away. For a while she thought the filly wouldn't answer her at all.

“I'm just nervous,” she mumbled. “Sorry.”

Nightmare Moon sighed and lowered her head. “I promised I would never hurt you,” she said, “and I meant it.”

The unicorn shook her head. “I'm just sorry that you're out here all alone and we can't find your sister and I still feel so scared I kind of want to throw up.” She seemed to get a little courage from prattling off her condition and chewed an apple. “I think we all want you and Princess Celestia to make up. We're all just trying to get back to our families.”

“I'm sure we will,” said Nightmare Moon, plucking another apple from the tree with her magic. But she wasn't so sure. More than anything I want your place, sister, thought Nightmare Moon. I want to be loved by all your subjects and belong in this world. But I'm not sure anymore. I want my old life back. But I can never have that. Not even if you forgave me.

She laid down in the shade of the orchard and sated her hunger alongside the three fillies. Their companionship brought to her a certain warmth that she would not have remembered at all, but for the saving grace of Starswirl. She let herself bask in the idea of friendship, and push away all the greater things that threatened her existence. She tried to forget about mortality and broken promises and while she enjoyed herself the darkness still lingered in her.

And the moon, now nearly dominating the sky, coated them all in its light and reminded her of all that had come to pass, and all that would come, and its presence felt so much bigger than the three little ponies beside her.