• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 26,851 Views, 1,146 Comments

A Dream of Dawn - Starsong



What if Luna won against Twilight? What happens when Discord comes back?

  • ...
30
 1,146
 26,851

Flicker

Rarity

The library wing of Canterlot Castle lay in ruins. One of the walls to the tower had crumbled, and only now did several unicorns busy themselves levitating the old stones back into place. Shelves twisted in spirals, or else lay fallen or broken into pieces. More than once Discord pleasured in playing there in the pages of countless tomes and only a few volumes managed to escape being turned into gibberish, erased, or transmuted into some food-like facsimile of a text. Rarity and Spike sorted through the collection to see if anything salvageable remained.

The unicorn lifted one of the few surviving books from the mess and dusted off the cover. “Ten easy steps to super souffle...” she sighed, rubbing her head. “Why is this even in the magic archives?”

Spike tossed an empty book over his shoulder, and then another. “If you can even call them that anymore. At least when Twilight made me play librarian the books actually made sense.”

She leaned over ruffled his head. “I know it's hard, and you've been such a good sport. I promise I'll make it worth it.”

“At least I don't have to help you make frilly dresses or something,” muttered the dragonling. She caught him making a few wistful looks her way anyway. “Not that I wouldn't do anything for you. S-since you're taking care of me and all.”

Such a complicated little gentleman... Rarity shook her head. “Still. I'd say that this isn't a prudent use of our time. Even if we happen to find an intact manual, the odds of it being what we need are quite miniscule.”

“If only Princess Celestia had her own books,” gestured Spike, “all about raising the sun and tiaras and princessy stuff. That'd make things a lot easier.”

Rarity's eyes brightened. “Aha! You're a clever boy, aren't you?”

The dragon blushed. “I, uh, well of course, Rarity... but what--”

She whisked past him and pulled him along in a haze of blue light. “Celestia's private rooms. I swear I saw some books in there, and we've a much better chance of finding something useful there than we ever will here.”

Spike only fought a little at being hoisted about like a sack of gems as Rarity made her way, brisk but reserved, from the library tower. It was a strange sight to her to see the staff putting such energy into returning the castle to its former glory. Though in some cases Discord's magic still remained too strong, it did not stop them from putting walls and floors back into place or hanging new tapestries. A new energy took the place since Cadence was crowned, and though the unicorns grumbled (there had never been a time when they had not been fussed with some trifle or another) there seemed to be an agreement on the rulership of Equestria for the first time since Princess Celestia's disappearance.

Rarity sat Spike down delicately when they arrived at the hidden passage and took a moment to straighten and dust his scales. And when she'd finished making Spike squirm, she placed a hoof upon the wall—only to notice that it had been left slightly ajar. A few lilting voices reached her ear and she recognized them as belonging to Cadence and Turner.

I hate to interrupt, she thought, glancing back over her shoulder. But I can't just stand here. And a lady shouldn't be doing all this snooping about like a criminal.

So she urged the false panel further and slipped her way in. Two white armored wings crossed before her, though with little force to them. The guards merely held her present while Princess Cadence, her conversation ceased, looked up from her place at the table.

“Did you need something, Rarity?” she asked, smiling. “I'm a little busy at the moment, but if it's important...”

Rarity scanned the room. In addition to two guards that met her at the entrance, another four kept watch from the walls and three more, decorated as officers, sat on either side of Cadence. Shining Armor was absent, however Rarity did recognize both Snowdrop and turner in their midst.

“Ah, yes,” said Rarity, clearing her throat. “Please pardon my intrusion, but we're not making any progress in the library. I have a mind to look through Princess Celestia's collection, if you would permit me. I hope to find something to help us raise the sun.”

The pink pony princess pondered a moment and then nodded to the guards, who lowered their wings and permitted Rarity access to the room. “Of course. Your counsel is always welcomed. I will continue this meeting, however.”

“But of course,” said Rarity, bowing her head. She waved Spike over to one of the bookshelves and gestured for him to keep quiet. He opened his mouth, and then shut it again, understanding.

“As I was saying,” said Cadence, turning to Turner. “You have a rather unique talent. Most ponies tell the turning of time by the Sun and the Moon... there are very few who understand how it actually works. Most deeply embroiled in magic. There are spells that can achieve some idea, but...”

The stallion waved his hoof. “Not to cut you off, majesty, but yes. I can stay on long enough to ensure that our nights and days return precisely to their proper points. It would only be proper.”

“Yes, of course.” Cadence laughed. “I'll ensure that you're given proper accomodations...”

“My room here is suited to me,” said Turner, glancing briefly at the space where the wardrobe let out. “I've already adjusted.”

“If you say so,” said Cadence.

Rarity shook her head just a little, scanning over the assortment of titles on the bookshelves. A Brief History of Canterlot, Volume 3. The Gryphon Treatise. All of these history books. Forty Fantastic Fables for Foals...? Now that can't be right. Oh, if only Twilight were here. She could probably solve this whole magic thing top to bottom.

“Our biggest priority is getting control of the days again,” said Cadence. “But it's just as important that we get the weather working again. Discord kept the kingdom fed at a whim, but he left absolutely nothing in terms of getting our fields and orchards back together.” She nodded at Snowflake and the very slightest bit of magic sparked from the tip of her horn. A cloud that had been hovering near the ceiling, outside of Rarity's notice, now drifted down and settled against the table. “What can you tell me about this?”

Snowflake flapped her wings once and stared at the princess. A couple of the guards exchanged glances. “Well, your majesty,” said the pegasus. “It's a cloud.”

Cadence shook her head and laughed. “Of course it is. But pegasi know clouds better than anyone else. What makes this one special?”

The white pegasus leaned in and gave the cloud a push with her hoof. “Well, it's about two qubits too dense,” she said. “Whoever made this was probably an amateur.”

“But it was made,” said Cadence. She flicked her horn again and lifted the map of Equestria from one of the shelves, rolling it out. “Shining Armor has had patrols investigating reports of stray weather patterns and this was pulled out of a cloud formation just west of Ponyville. “ She swept a hoof over the map and leaned forward. “Can you tell where this was made?”

“Not exactly,” said Snowflake, biting her hoof. “But I can tell you that this came out of a factory. Hoofmade clouds wouldn't have this uniform of a fluff structure.”

“So this was probably made in Cloudsdale.”

Snowflake nodded. “Unless someone decided to import it from Las Pegasus or something. But that makes about as much sense. Why would Cloudsdale weather be floating around pointlessly?”

Cadence flicked her wings up. “Why, indeed. If I had to guess, I'd say that the missing pegasi are trying to continue their duties. But we need them back where they belong. There aren't many reservoirs that can support the city of Cloudsdale. They can't provide for us while they're still missing. If what you say is true, then the weather factories must still be intact and operating in some capacity. Is that fair to say?”

“Probably,” said Snowflake, looking away. “What are you getting at?”

“There are only so many places they could be,” said Cadence. “Cloudsdale broke contact with Canterlot after my... after Nightmare Moon took over. And that's probably the best thing they could have done.” She shook her head and looked down at the map again, shoulders heaving in a sigh. “The unicorns tried to revert to their old ways. We have to consider the possibility that Cloudsdale will try to go independent as well. We need Cloudsdale. I need Cloudsdale. They're a proud people. They're only going to listen to one of their own.”

Snowflake glanced around. “If you haven't noticed, I've been getting pretty chummy with the palace. You can practically smell the hoity toity on me.”

“But will you help me?”

The pegasus flustered and lowered her head. “Of course, Princess. There's no question in that. But I can't promise they'll listen...”

“I'm sure you'll do fine,” said Cadence.

The pegasus made herself smile and nod. Rarity had seen that face before. Snowflake had made it when she asked her to help keep Blueblood away from the throne. And now she was being asked to move mountains again—or at least a mountain of clouds.

I wonder where that waste of a prince got off to, anyway...?

“A-ha!”

Every pony looked up at Spike's outburst. The dragon blushed but tapped his claws against a particular page.

“Did you find something?” asked Rarity, practically bowling him over.

“Well, it's not a spell,” said Spike, regaining his footing. “But it might help.”

Cadence waved them over. “May I?”

“Of course,” said Rarity, lifting the book and pulling it towards the table. Cadence swept the cloud to the side and made room for the volume. Rarity raised an eyebrow at the book as she sat it down. “Spike, this is a book on Hearth's Warming Eve.”

“I know,” said Spike, “it's one of my favorite holidays.” He puffed up a bit and grinned. Then, noticing that everyone was looking at him, he waved his hands. “Just look at it, would you?”

Cadence and Rarity (and a number in the room) leaned over the text. Its cover had worn and faded with age, in spite of its excellent care in Celestia's library, and the pages were like wisps. Rarity read and reread the passage that Spike had pointed out.

Before Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, it was the unicorns who brought night and day to the lands of Equestria. Twice a day the most powerful magicians in the land would gather together and bind their wills in order to reach to the distant sun.

I had the luxury of speaking to one individual, eager to share her ecstatic experience with me. She spoke of the joy she felt when magically entwined with his kind, and of the sensation of the sun. I had thought it just to be a grand levitation spell, but it is more than that. She described the process as '… becoming one with the sun and the moon, feeling its energy within you... and your spirit within them. Moving them is like being in touch for just a moment with all things, connected, full of life. It's an experience only a unicorn will ever be able to understand.' She then proceeded to break down into tears, unable to restrain her joy and the size of her daily task.

“Well, it's not exactly a how-to guide,” muttered Snowflake.

“Some of this language makes sense though,” said Cadence. “Most levitation is accomplished by creating a magic field around the object or person and generating lift. What this mare is talking about sounds more like sympathetic magic.” She paused and laughed nervously, as everypony stared at her. “You don't think I could have been a Princess without tons of magic schooling, did you?”

Rarity tossed her mane back and smiled. “Of course not. But do you think it's possible? If it's as intricate as it sounds... well, I worry what would happen if we screwed it up.”

“It will be difficult,” agreed Cadence, “but there are no tales of unicorns immolating themselves trying to touch the sun. It will all depend upon our friends and how well they can perform. They should be practicing in the yard.” The princess then decisively rolled up the map, tucked the cloud into a corner, and otherwise returned the table to a blank state. “Perhaps we should pay them a visit and see how they are performing. I, too, should take part in the ritual as well...”

A clatter of hooves and dim hubbub filled the room as the ponies present rose to follow their princess. Spike scooped up the book and tucked it under his arm, then leaned over to Rarity.

“Did I do good?” he asked.

Rarity laughed and tilted her head at him. “Yes, Spike,” she said. “You did good.” She gave him a light peck on the cheek, from which he promptly swooned and stumbled. Then they joined the others on the way to the parade grounds.

Lyra

Lyra stood at the head of the parade grounds, freshly reclaimed from Discord's tyranny. Land once twisted and curved lay flat, filled with fresh patches of earth and grass grown in a hurry by unicorn and earth pony alike. And the grass bent beneath the hooves of scores of unicorns each awaiting the signal from her. She held her lyre still in front of her and stared at the one flickering candle sitting atop the balcony.

For the last few hours they'd struggled to get the candle to move. Any single one of them could grab the flame and lift it up, but whenever they tried to manipulate it in unison, they always snuffed it right out. Or flung the candle halfway across the grounds. Still, Lyra let them go through their drills and began again, time after time, in the hopes that they would be making some progress. Instead she seemed to be faced with a crowd of discontent and mildly sweaty dapper unicorns.

As she reached to pluck a string and begin again, Prince Blueblood stepped from the first line and scoffed. “This is an insult. Having the finest blooded ponies in Equestria practice on a mere candle's flame! What is this, magic kindergarten?”

A series of grumbles erupted through the lines. Many of the unicorns that stood with them now had been in support of Blueblood's claims for the throne and still harbored ill will against her. She laughed and gave her lyre a pluck. “No, my prince, if this were magic kindergarten I'd have you paddled something fierce.” The ponies laughed, in spite of their present decorum. “This isn't about a simple spell. This is about getting a hundred of you blockheads to be in perfect time with one another. Mind and heart. You have to understand the music. Let it flow through you. Only then--”

“Beg your pardon,” said Blueblood, tossing his mane and turning to face the crowd, “but our noble unicorn blood sings through our veins. We're more in synch than you and that stupid guitar ever will be.”

Lyra ground her teeth and forced a grin. Stupid. If you want to get burned so badly, go right ahead, Blueballs. She held her tongue though and issued a more appropriate challenge for the gentry. “Oh, yeah? Well why don'cha just lift the sun up right now? Show us how it's done?”

The prince gave an uneasy look to the crowd. “I do not know...” A spark of magic trickled over his horn. “Not until Princess Cadence instructs us to would it be appropriate.”

Lyra rolled her eyes. “Fine then. You've had some time to practice working together. Try to lift the flame from the candle.”

“We will do more than try,” said Prince Blueblood, returning to his place in line. “In three, good ponies. Three... two... one...”

Lyra leaned back and watched with bemusement as dozens of horns lit up at once. Two unicorns combining magic was usually a rather intimate process, and best achieved with actual contact... but there was no way that the ponies of old could have achieve that without a ludicrous pile, and as much as the idea entertained her, she knew that would not have been the case. Instead they would have to treat one another as focal points.

“It cannot be fifty spells on one candle,” said Lyra. “Every unicorn. One spell. Do it right.”

And for a brief moment they seemed to have it, a prismatic light encircling the candle's flame. Whatever synchronization they had did not last long, though. As the fire began to rise up from the wick, the field scrambled and scattered. Prince Blueblood squirmed about and threw his hoofs at the air.

“Augh! Too hot! It's burning up inside of me... do something, you peasant! Oh! Ow!”

Lyra laughed and watched him squirm for just a little longer. At this time a parade of hoofsteps came from the upper parapet. Princess Cadence surveyed the scene for a moment before blowing the candle out, leaving Blueblood released from its thrall, panting and wheezing.

“Cousin!” he gasped, galloping up to the balcony—though he stayed his enthusiasm once he caught sight of Rarity and her companions.

“I take it things are not going too well,” said Cadence, dusting a bit of grass from his shoulders.

Prince Blueblood glared at Lyra, who had taken to tuning her instrument. “They would be better if we did not have this mare leading us, cousin. She nearly burned me up trying to magic that damned candle of hers.”

Princess Cadence lowered her head and curled up her lip. “Mind who you are speaking to,” she said.

The unicorn swallowed. “Yes, Cou-- princess.”

“Now,” continued the princess, “did she deliberately harm you?”

“Well, no,” stammered Blueblood, “but I--”

“You haven't been causing trouble then, have you?”

“Of course not!”

Cadence gave him a deep, long look and then trotted forward. “I would expect not, Prince Blueblood. You must be an example to all of us. Can you rejoin the others? I wish to speak with them.”

“Yes, Princess Cadence,” muttered Prince Blueblood, his ears turned down. He trotted back to his place in line. Even Lyra felt a little sorry for him—just a little—though she couldn't help but imagine how many times Princess Celestia had coddled him in a similar manner.

Princess Cadence circled to the bottom of the stairs and stood before the unicorns. “There are little records remaining of the magics of old. But my dear friends have turned up some research that may have revealed the way to us. I trust that you are all learned in the ways of sympathetic magics?” There came a general rumble of agreement. She nodded and turned to face the candle upon the balcony, and lit it with a single spark of her horn. “That is the kind of magic we must use, and I think I understand why you failed to keep control just now. We cannot bind the flame and attempt to control it. Instead we must open ourselves to it and allow it to enter into us. We must share our existence with the flame.”

One of the elder unicorns piped in. “Beg pardon, but what makes you think that we can lift the sun, if we can lift the candlelight?”

Princess Cadence shook her head. “We have to believe we can. But if we cannot lift the candle, then how do you expect we will lift the sun?” The unicorn who spoke only nodded, tempered by the princess' answer. Cadence then turned to Lyra. “I would like to participate as well. Will you show me how you are practicing?”

It took Lyra a moment to realize she had been addressed, so drawn into Cadence's presence. She nodded and snapped a salute. “Aye aye, princess. Everyone understands that you need to be in sync, but not just how much.” she plucked a string of her lyre, and then another in a slightly higher note. “Think of each sound as a beat of your heart, and all of your hearts must beat as one. Your thoughts must be the same. Focus on the rhythm of my song... and then upon the fire. If all goes well, you'll be in synch.”

Cadence looked back at the now stoic crowd of unicorns, including her cousin, all eager to prove themselves and experience the magic again. She nodded. “Begin,” she said.

Lyra began a simple yet pleasant scale, four notes, then down, then up... each unicorn drew in a deep breath and shut their eyes. She continued to play, patient, as each of them sunk into the melody and the timing. Then as she shifted to a higher octave, they all seemed to understand one another. Their horns flared, and the center of the candle's flame flickered with a golden glow.

It lifted, only a little at first. Each unicorn watched in awe as the flame rose to the tip of the wick. Even Prince Blueblood seemed serene and pure as they performed the ritual. Lyra cast a basic enchantment to keep the scales playing and opened up her magic, just skimming the surface of the unicorns around her. And right away she found a warmth surging through her from the inside out, enough to make her cheeks flush. She withdrew quickly and stared up.

It's incredible, she thought. All of those minds in harmony. And the flame itself is so vibrant. I want to feel it again.

She knew better, though, than to force herself in and out of the spell on a whim. Instead she satisfied herself to watch and play the feelings, still fresh in her body, into her lyre. The flame rose above the wick, floating higher and higher into the air as her song unfolded. It seemed it lasted forever, and then ended in a moment as Cadence twitched her horn and snuffed the flame out. Silence held the grounds as each unicorn looked at one another in awe.

“You did wonderful,” said Cadence, turning about again. “It may be some time yet before we are ready to try something larger. In the meantime, I would like you to continue to practice, if that is okay with you?”

“It is our honor, I would think,” said Prince Blueblood, puffing up proudly. “We will not let you down, Princess Cadence.”

A healthy hurrrah followed his proclamation. The unicorns broke into small groups and chattered excitedly with one another as Cadence ascended the stairs again. Lyra lifted her instrument and hurried after her.

“Will I be able to participate as well?” she asked, once they had reached the top of the stairs.

Princess Cadence nodded. “I don't see why not. We will have to learn to work together without your music leading us, eventually. It would be only fair.”

“Thank you, Princess,” said Lyra, bowing her head. “And what about you, Rarity? You should join us. I know you're more magically gifted than you let on.”

“Goodness...” Rarity, who had been watching intently the entire time, flustered and swept a hoof to her chest. “I would love to be a part of such a thing. But the truth is, there's another duty that's plaguing me right now.”

“And what would that be?” Princess Cadence asked. “There are few things more important than restoring order to Equestria.”

“I'm not denying that,” said Rarity. “I've been gathering the remains of the Elements of Harmony, and have acquired most of them. Since it was partially my fault that they were lost... I feel some responsibility.” The mare stole a moment to sigh and steel herself. “I would like to use the castle's resources to see if I could not restore them.”

Princess Cadence suddenly looked far away, her gaze over the castle walls and to the horizon. “Princess Celestia and Luna once wielded them to banish Discord... if he returns, they may be the only way we can pacify him. Even if we restore them, we will have to find ponies worthy to bear them. Do you think this is possible?”

“I'm honestly not sure,” said Rarity.

“About as possible as raising the sun,” added Spike. Rarity gave him a little nudge, but Cadence laughed.

“Yes,” said Cadence, “we are becoming rather ambitious, aren't we? We will raise the sun, and we will restore the Elements of Harmony. My aunt would do nothing less. I am charging you with this duty, then.”

“Of course,” said Rarity, sweeping a curtsy. “I will do everything within my power.”

“And there is one more thing,” said Cadence. “I will understand if you do not have time to provide your services. But the Gala is coming up, and...”

“The Gala?” gasped Rarity. This was met by further surprise from a number of eavesdropping unicorns. “With all that's been going on...”

Princess Cadence nodded. “We've seen more troubles than we've ever known, it's true. And all the more reason to hold the celebration, as we have every year for many years past. It will give ponies a sense of normalcy and a chance to celebrate. This, too, is one of our duties as Equestria's keepers.”

“Then you'll have my full support,” said Rarity.

“And mine,” agreed Lyra.

A quick consensus came, although it burdened them all with another duty. Still, it made Princess Cadence smile to see that there were still so many eager to return to a happier state of being. She gave a proper flourish of her wings.

“Then I have some further arrangements to make,” she said. “Please continue to work hard. Not just for my sake, but for everypony's sake.”

Cadence

Princess Cadence allowed herself a sigh as she stumbled into the throne room, out of the sight of the guards and anypony else. The walls practically gleamed, polished and gilded, new tapestries hung and every stone fitted back where it should be.

As she slumped across the cushioned throne, Shining Armor slipped from behind it and nudged her up. “Hey now,” he said, “we can't have you getting all tuckered out already.”

“I thought I asked for privacy?” said Cadence, but she pressed herself against him, letting him carry some of the weight of her. And she laughed.

“You told me to report to you immediately,” he said, helping her to sit up. “And I think this is private enough.”

“Hold the report for now,” said Cadence, and she leaned herself against the stallion. Even without his armor on he was sturdy as a statue, except much warmer, and she could feel each breath of his rolling over the back of her neck. She closed her eyes and soaked him in, letting everything princessly about her roll away.

“You're a mess,” he said, sympathetically.

She pushed her face against him. “I don't know how my aunt does it,” she says. “I've been in and out of meetings all day. Dealing with ponies of every flock who need my help. Thousands of mouths to feed, homes to maintain... it's just too much.”

“Princess Celestia never had to put her country back together,” he gently reminded her, “at least not for a very, very long time. It will get easier. I promise.”

“Thank you,” she whispered, and nuzzled him.

The two shared a moment in solitude before the doors to the throne room burst open. They jumped apart and flustered, trying to look official. But neither the guards nor the orange earth pony marching up to the throne seemed to notice. Their attention was too fixed on what they carried.

“What is it?” said Cadence, trying to hide her frustration at being interrupted.

The earth pony doffed her hat. “To be completely honest,” she said, “I'd hoped someone here could tell us. This critter replaced Sparkler... one of the ponies in Ponyville. Raised a ruckus with her family. We're still looking for the real one, too.”

“Replaced?” asked Cadence, stepping a bit closer to investigate. “I don't understand.”

“They can turn into us,” said Applejack. “And I've got a feeling this isn't the only one.”

Princess Cadence leaned a bit closer. The creature seemed unconscious, bound up tightly in rope that held its wings and limbs tight against its carapace. Shining armor followed behind her uneasily as she leaned down and looked into the creature's face.

Its emerald eyes snapped open. It made a quick hiss, and then flashed with green flame. When the light cleared, it had transformed into the spitting image of Princess Cadence herself. Every detail, down to tiny frays starting in her mane and the colors on her cutiemark, were impossibly accurate. She recoiled back, filled with a sudden fear.

“Stop that,” said Cadence. “Change back!”

But it didn't change. It kept her form and stared at her with a vacant smile. It did not resist its bounds or try to escape, nor even protest when one of the guards lifted it and carried it from view.

“Terrible creature...” Cadence shuddered.

“What should we do?” asked the earth pony. “I can't feel 'em all out by myself. We need muscle and brains and a lot of both.”

“Canterlot's forces are stretched thin as it is,” said Cadence, rubbing her temples.

Shining Armor stood up and shook his head. “Whatever you need done,” he said, “we will have done. We only await your orders, Princess.”

Princess Cadence smiled a sad smile. The royal guard would do anything for her, and this stallion even moreso. But she couldn't help but feel the weight of all upon her press deep at her chest and into her lungs. She swallowed silently and spoke.

“Find out everything you can about them. If there are more, then we need to be able to defend our ponies from them. Any missing ponies need to be found. The ponies should be warned... without alarming them.” Cadence sagged. “As soon as possible.”

“It will be done,” said Shining Armor. He looked into her eyes and put on a brave smile. She couldn't help but mirror it.